Balloon Tutorial?

Started by StrawberryPistol87, December 17, 2009, 05:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrawberryPistol87

Sorry, i was wondering how amber makes her comic text ballons.
since some have cool shapes in it like this; when devin did the ice spell http://missmab.com/Comics/Abel_60.php
and http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_667.php the random knocking sounds.
and those see through things like; http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_674.php

hope you get the idea what i mean. i was so curious about it how she does that.

i am such a noob.

Tapewolf

I don't know exactly, and I use Comiclife for captioning mine, which creates them programatically.  However, what I would guess she's doing is creating the basic shape (a rounded rectangle) in white on a new layer and then adding a black outline to it.  There's presumably a 'create border' function in Photoshop.

For the most part the speech bubbles are obviously several rounded rectangles, one for each line of text.  I suspect that larger bubbles are made of larger rectangles, or in some cases the smaller rectangles smoothed together.

For the ice and spiking effects, she's presumably modifying the shape before adding the outline.

For the 'see-through' effect, she'd be changing the alpha transparency of the layer containing the speech bubble.  Most likely the transparent ones are all on their own separate layer.

If you've not used layers in Photoshop, GIMP etc I can give a brief overview, or you can probably look it up on wikipedia or something  :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

StrawberryPistol87

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2009, 05:37:05 AM
I don't know exactly, and I use Comiclife for captioning mine, which creates them programatically.  However, what I would guess she's doing is creating the basic shape (a rounded rectangle) in white on a new layer and then adding a black outline to it.  There's presumably a 'create border' function in Photoshop.

For the most part the speech bubbles are obviously several rounded rectangles, one for each line of text.  I suspect that larger bubbles are made of larger rectangles, or in some cases the smaller rectangles smoothed together.

For the ice and spiking effects, she's presumably modifying the shape before adding the outline.

For the 'see-through' effect, she'd be changing the alpha transparency of the layer containing the speech bubble.  Most likely the transparent ones are all on their own separate layer.

If you've not used layers in Photoshop, GIMP etc I can give a brief overview, or you can probably look it up on wikipedia or something  :P

still sounds like. all so confusing. :kirby

Tapewolf

Quote from: StrawberryPistol87 on December 17, 2009, 06:47:53 AM

I can probably rig some kind of tutorial in GIMP if that helps.  And if I can find the time.

EDIT:
What software are you using?

StrawberryPistol87

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2009, 06:54:42 AM
Quote from: StrawberryPistol87 on December 17, 2009, 06:47:53 AM

I can probably rig some kind of tutorial in GIMP if that helps.  And if I can find the time.

EDIT:

i have Manga studio 3
andan old photoshop
and photoshop cs 2 but im still searching for the serial number for that one.
i think of buying a new photoshop.
mayby photoshop cs 3 or 4

but what is GIMP?

EDIT: i was thinking to a webcomic. if you are intrested.
but temporarily i would do it in mangastudio.
however my manga studio isnt not advanced as the latest versions. so it would be black and white.

Tapewolf

Quote from: StrawberryPistol87 on December 18, 2009, 06:30:38 AM
i have Manga studio 3
andan old photoshop

but what is GIMP?

GIMP is a sort of poor-man's photoshop.  It has advantages and disadvantages.  On the plus side it's free (as opposed to Photoshop which just about gets you change from £600), and arguably more intuitive to learn than Photoshop.  It also works on considerably more platforms than Photoshop, which only works on Windows and the Macintosh.
On the negative side, there are a number of things it doesn't do (full CYMK support, pantone etc) and if you're already used to Photoshop's idiosyncrasies you will not have a fun time.

EDIT:  See also: http://www.gimp.org/

StrawberryPistol87

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 18, 2009, 06:37:58 AM
Quote from: StrawberryPistol87 on December 18, 2009, 06:30:38 AM
i have Manga studio 3
andan old photoshop

but what is GIMP?

GIMP is a sort of poor-man's photoshop.  It has advantages and disadvantages.  On the plus side it's free (as opposed to Photoshop which just about gets you change from £600), and arguably more intuitive to learn than Photoshop.  It also works on considerably more platforms than Photoshop, which only works on Windows and the Macintosh.
On the negative side, there are a number of things it doesn't do (full CYMK support, pantone etc) and if you're already used to Photoshop's idiosyncrasies you will not have a fun time.

EDIT:  See also: http://www.gimp.org/

(as opposed to Photoshop which just about gets you change from £600)

dont know what £600 is.
sorry. but i get that GIMP is free. i will download it.

i saw the website and i only found its only for windows 2000
(i have windows xp) but mayby im looking not good enough.

if there is a windows XP. i am sorry. :bunny

Sofox

StrawberryPistol87

Thanks. i have him now.

Only thing is the color is acting weird when i work on the tablet. :zombiekun2
i should read the tutorial page. :mowninja

Mao

I'm not sure I can help you any more than anyone else in here, but I do most of my art in GIMP and may be able to answer some of your questions/issues.  If you can post in detail what they are, I can take a look.  Though it would be best if you consult the manual first.

Pvblivs

"GIMP is a sort of poor-man's photoshop.  It has advantages and disadvantages."

Well, I would have gone with "GIMP is for GNU Image Manipulation Program."  And it is a decently powered program that comes automaticly with Linux.  Even it has more features than I'll ever use.

StrawberryPistol87

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 18, 2009, 01:29:39 PM
I'm not sure I can help you any more than anyone else in here, but I do most of my art in GIMP and may be able to answer some of your questions/issues.  If you can post in detail what they are, I can take a look.  Though it would be best if you consult the manual first.

Manual. err, just heard it about today.
so far i downloaded for free and finding all the buttons in the software.
also find the page full with tutorials.
the only problem i have till now is when im drawin on the tablet and choose a color he automatically gos too black. for the rest its awesome really. it downloaded very fast.
it didnt need a serial number. and has evrything photoshop has. and is free.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: StrawberryPistol87 on December 18, 2009, 09:53:35 AM

dont know what £600 is.

£600 is UK Money, and is quite close to $1000 in US money.

StrawberryPistol87

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 18, 2009, 06:59:36 PM
Quote from: StrawberryPistol87 on December 18, 2009, 09:53:35 AM

dont know what £600 is.

£600 is UK Money, and is quite close to $1000 in US money.

photoshop is 1000$ in america? thats allot of money. :erk

LionHeart

There's also Photoshop Elements, which has most of the features and power of Photoshop, for a lot less money. I use it as my image editor of choice.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Might I introduce you people to a key on your keyboard that doesn't seem to be getting much use?

It's called "delete", it deletes things. You'll probably see it labelled "del". It's used for removing excessive quotes from other people when you only want to add a single line reply...

*cough* *hint, hint*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: StrawberryPistol87 on December 18, 2009, 08:49:18 PM

To be exact, about $969US (from £600 using www.xe.com)

ChaosMageX

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 19, 2009, 01:53:38 PM

Unless, of course, you are a college student.  Then you can get it for only $200 from The Academic Superstore or from Journey Ed.

Icon by Sunblink

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: ChaosMageX on December 19, 2009, 02:16:15 PM
Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 19, 2009, 01:53:38 PM

Unless, of course, you are a college student.  Then you can get it for only $200 from The Academic Superstore or from Journey Ed.

Well, not at the moment, and if you have a class involving some sort of computer subject, the college gives you access to free MSDN software via their license program.

Tapewolf

Unless, of course, you are a college student.  Then you can get it for only $200 from The Academic Superstore or from Journey Ed.

But I bet it's illegal to keep using that after the course finishes.

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 19, 2009, 02:28:24 PM
Well, not at the moment, and if you have a class involving some sort of computer subject, they give you access to free MSDN software via their license program.
However, they do not have anything that competes with Photoshop that I am aware of.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: LionHeart on December 18, 2009, 09:21:38 PM
There's also Photoshop Elements, which has most of the features and power of Photoshop, for a lot less money. I use it as my image editor of choice.

I'm using elements for lettering my pages, so I assure you it's plenty powerful.

As for adding borders... you should have a way to "expand" or "contract" selected areas as needed, which is really all you need to be able to add a border to things like speech bubbles.

There are some little details you need to be careful of (like making sure anti-aliasing is on for a smooth border, and in some cases making sure you're zoomed in nice and close for when you're making freeform selections), but that's a standard feature of pretty much any version of photoshop and other image-manip programs.

Also, Tapewolf: I've yet to see a company go after ANYONE for using an academic version after they've graduated.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2009, 02:30:04 PM

But I bet it's illegal to keep using that after the course finishes.

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 19, 2009, 02:28:24 PM
Well, not at the moment, and if you have a class involving some sort of computer subject, they give you access to free MSDN software via their license program.
However, they do not have anything that competes with Photoshop that I am aware of.

Actually, its not illegal to keep it.  I have MS Office Project Professional 2003 from the college's MSDN license and I can use it any time I want.

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 19, 2009, 03:19:38 PM
Actually, its not illegal to keep it.  I have MS Office Project Professional 2003 from the college's MSDN license and I can use it any time I want.
With due respect, how is that relevant to Adobe's licensing?

EDIT:

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on December 19, 2009, 03:15:00 PM
I'm using elements for lettering my pages, so I assure you it's plenty powerful.
Last I heard it didn't support CYMK exports, though.  That's a nuisance if you want to get something professionally printed.

QuoteAs for adding borders... you should have a way to "expand" or "contract" selected areas as needed, which is really all you need to be able to add a border to things like speech bubbles.
In GIMP it is done via Select->Border, and it will prompt for the width in pixels.

QuoteThere are some little details you need to be careful of (like making sure anti-aliasing is on for a smooth border, and in some cases making sure you're zoomed in nice and close for when you're making freeform selections), but that's a standard feature of pretty much any version of photoshop and other image-manip programs.
I'm not 100% sure GIMP supports antialiasing on all selection-based operations.  Usually the technique is to do the comic in high-resolution anyway, and scale it down to get your antialiasing.

QuoteAlso, Tapewolf: I've yet to see a company go after ANYONE for using an academic version after they've graduated.
True, but unlicensed software is a touchy subject on this board, as per the rules.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2009, 03:25:29 PM
Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 19, 2009, 03:19:38 PM
Actually, its not illegal to keep it.  I have MS Office Project Professional 2003 from the college's MSDN license and I can use it any time I want.
With due respect, how is that relevant to Adobe's licensing?

QuoteAlso, Tapewolf: I've yet to see a company go after ANYONE for using an academic version after they've graduated.
True, but unlicensed software is a touchy subject on this board, as per the rules.

It isn't relevant to Adobe's licensing other than just saying that academic versions of software are just as legal as regular versions.

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 19, 2009, 04:06:16 PM
It isn't relevant to Adobe's licensing other than just saying that academic versions of software are just as legal as regular versions.
I've heard very different things about Microsoft's academic licensing actually, but that was about 8 years ago and may have changed since.
Thing is, that is only going to apply to Microsoft licensing.  Adobe can and probably does have a quite different take on whether you're allowed to use the student version of their software when you are not a student.

EDIT:

http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/purchasing/qualify.html

...taking that at face value, I'd say that once you're graduated you're not licensed to use it.

Sofox

I heard that you can use it after college, just not for anything commercial.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2009, 04:24:40 PM
Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 19, 2009, 04:06:16 PM
I've heard very different things about Microsoft's academic licensing actually, but that was about 8 years ago and may have changed since.
Thing is, that is only going to apply to Microsoft licensing.  Adobe can and probably does have a quite different take on whether you're allowed to use the student version of their software when you are not a student.

EDIT:

http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/purchasing/qualify.html

...taking that at face value, I'd say that once you're graduated you're not licensed to use it.

actually, just so long as you don't use it for commercial reasons, you should be fine.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2009, 06:54:42 AM

I like Paint Shop Pro but if I need to output an image with alpha transparency (full or partial) areas, I need to do that part in GIMP since PSP won't save that part properly.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tezkat

Quote from: Turnsky on December 19, 2009, 09:36:22 PM
actually, just so long as you don't use it for commercial reasons, you should be fine.

Actually, it's the other way around. Adobe's EULA for academically discounted products places no restrictions on commercial use. It merely requires that the users qualify as Educational End Users in their appropriate jurisdiction. (See section 16.3 of the EULA for CS4 or section 14.6 for CS3.) In practice, that means you need a valid student ID.

My very first copy of Photoshop was a NFR license I picked up at a summer job selling computers. I used it to start a web design business. >:] All the copies I bought as a student saw professional use...
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...