Who makes posts from smartphones?

Started by ChaosMageX, December 08, 2009, 05:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

Hey everybody! I just got a new Motorola Droid phone and 3G service to go with it, so this is my first post done over a 3G network, and my first post done on something other than a computer.

I want to know if there are any other people on this forum who make posts over 3G networks, or via smartphones, or both.

It's just so exciting making a post on my droid. Now if I could just find a good IRC app for Android.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on December 08, 2009, 05:25:56 PM
Hey everybody! I just got a new Motorola Droid phone and 3G service to go with it, so this is my first post done over a 3G network, and my first post done on something other than a computer.

I want to know if there are any other people on this forum who make posts over 3G networks, or via smartphones, or both.

I have done so.  All my posts in this thread:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,6626.0.html
...were done on a G1 from a hotel in Manchester over a 3G link.

Although the G1 has a full 5-row keyboard, it was still a bit of a pain.  However, as and when the work network is finally locked down tight, it may be my only recourse during work hours  >:3

QuoteIt's just so exciting making a post on my droid. Now if I could just find a good IRC app for Android.

Should be plenty.  There is at least an SSH client...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Fibre

I would be, had Nokia not completely ruined the N900 launch... *grumble grumble*  :rolleyes

Congrats on your new phone anyway, I hope it works well for you. I was tempted to get a G1, but the software and Google-ness of it convinced me to wait.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fibre on December 08, 2009, 07:20:23 PM
I would be, had Nokia not completely ruined the N900 launch... *grumble grumble*  :rolleyes

Yeah, I was mortified when that was announced shortly after I got the G1.  A full debian install on a phone would kick ass.
On the other hand, I wouldn't have been able to justify the cost of the Nokia and it seems to have a substantially worse keyboard.  Though it might be able to accept an external keyboard, I'm not sure...

Mao

I love my Blackberry curve. <3  I've used it here a few times (Remember me trying desperately to get a hold of Alondro at AC, Tape?) for posts as well as PM's.  It's a bit cumbersome to type with, but I tried using the iPhone and my big clumsy meat-hook like hands were even more of a problem there for some reason.

Tezkat

I regularly browse forums on my HTC Touch. Rarely post, although I do occasionally write longish pieces on my phone. I'm kind of an old school PocketPC user who prefers pen input to pecking away on those tiny phone keyboards.

On the other hand, if I have time to sit down and write, I'm probably also in a position to whip out the laptop...

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on December 08, 2009, 09:34:53 PM
I regularly browse forums on my HTC Touch. Rarely post, although I do occasionally write longish pieces on my phone. I'm kind of an old school PocketPC user who prefers pen input to pecking away on those tiny phone keyboards.

Actually, 9 years of experience with those things was exactly the reason I went for something that had a keyboard, but did not run Windows Mobile or Symbian.  Or the RIM OS.  If I could stand WM, I might have tried to get an old XDA Exec because those are kind of nice, at least in terms of hardware.

Hunt-and-peck with the soft input panel is all very well for a word or two, but for inputting something more substantial, I had to have a qwerty keyboard.  I can touch-type on the G1, though a larger keyboard would be better.  YMMV.

QuoteOn the other hand, if I have time to sit down and write, I'm probably also in a position to whip out the laptop...
True.  The interesting thing was that in that hotel, although I brought the laptop along, I found that I ended up using the phone instead - the laptop ended up being demoted to a 3-way USB charger...

Ryudo Lee

Well, it's TECHNICALLY a cellular network... I'm using a Sprint Mobile Broadband USB modem to connect to the intertubes on my laptop.  Also note, the term "broadband" used there is just an advertising ploy, as this thing really only works at 56k speeds, tops.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Cvstos

I occasionally post from my iPod Touch. It's not really a smart phone and doesn't use a cell network, but it is basically an iPhone minus the phone. I just gotta use Wifi instead of a cell network.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Fibre

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 08, 2009, 07:26:53 PM
Yeah, I was mortified when that was announced shortly after I got the G1.  A full debian install on a phone would kick ass.
On the other hand, I wouldn't have been able to justify the cost of the Nokia and it seems to have a substantially worse keyboard.  Though it might be able to accept an external keyboard, I'm not sure...

Indeed, it should be quite awesome. I'll probably still get one after the launch situation clears up after a while. I just justify the cost as a computer, not a phone. ;)

What do you mean about the keyboard? I hadn't heard about any issues with it.

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on December 09, 2009, 09:24:05 AM
Well, it's TECHNICALLY a cellular network... I'm using a Sprint Mobile Broadband USB modem to connect to the intertubes on my laptop.  Also note, the term "broadband" used there is just an advertising ploy, as this thing really only works at 56k speeds, tops.

I've used Sprint's EVDO service (and posted to here indirectly over it) and it's common to get over 1Mb/s. Either you're really unlucky with coverage where you've used it or something is probably wrong...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fibre on December 09, 2009, 06:50:11 PM
What do you mean about the keyboard? I hadn't heard about any issues with it.
Last I saw, it only had three rows, with the numerics overloaded on the first row.

Fibre

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 09, 2009, 06:52:58 PM
Last I saw, it only had three rows, with the numerics overloaded on the first row.

Ah, yes, I suppose that could be a disadvantage. Still, if what I can guess from pictures is correct, it doesn't look like typing numbers or symbols should be any more difficult than typing capital letters, so I wouldn't think that would be too bad: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Nokia_N900-1.jpg

I guess there's a space tradeoff as well. I can't imagine doing much typing on such a small device anyway...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fibre on December 09, 2009, 07:29:35 PM
Ah, yes, I suppose that could be a disadvantage. Still, if what I can guess from pictures is correct, it doesn't look like typing numbers or symbols should be any more difficult than typing capital letters, so I wouldn't think that would be too bad: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Nokia_N900-1.jpg

Ooh, I like.  Too bad I don't speak Russian and Ren can't afford it :P

Fibre

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 09, 2009, 07:55:17 PM
Ooh, I like.  Too bad I don't speak Russian and Ren can't afford it :P

... I saw the A and B in the middle along with the numbers and didn't see any of the other letters.  :giggle

http://symbianworld.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/n900-keyboard.jpg
There :)

edit: Actually, it looks like it has full QWERTY key labels in addition to the Russian...

ShadesFox

I will sometimes, but it is awkward to edit posts in a phone so that limits how much I post.
The All Purpose Fox

rabid_fox

I'm making this post from a Wheetabix hooked up to a robotman.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fibre on December 09, 2009, 08:16:50 PM
edit: Actually, it looks like it has full QWERTY key labels in addition to the Russian...
Remarkable that they fit that into a 3-row keyboard, but according to Ren that's usually the case.  There's a sort of 'Latin-shift' which allows him to type latin characters on a Cyrillic keyboard (I had been wondering how he did it).

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Azlan

I would never do such a thing...

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"