Webcasting Question

Started by Shadrok, November 19, 2009, 11:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If Shadrok did an art webcast would you watch?

Yes
1 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Shadrok

I was wondering if anyone had some advice about doing a web cast. What I'm planing to do at some point is a drawing cast where people can watch me draw and ask questions. I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I have seen people do similar casts and thought it was a neat idea.

My biggest question though is what would I need to broadcast. The sites I've gone to say you need a web-cam (which I don't have) but is it really necessary if you only plan broadcast what's on the screen?

As far as which site I should use, I'm debating between Justin.tv and Ustream.

Mao

You'll need a screen capture software (there's plenty, such as camtasia studio 5.0 and VH capture) and then you'll need something to stream with (jtv provides it's own, but it's not that great) such as FLME (Flash Live Media Encoder).  If you're just broadcasting desktop stuff, that should be all you need.

Sofox

Yeah, you just need software that'll take your screen, and audio, and transmit it to the web.

VLC is a free one, but I found it takes some doing to set up. I got it working for this USB TV capture device I had once, only without the sound.

Not sure what you need to do to set it up for screencasting, but it does seem to have that ability.

Shadrok

Quote from: Mao Laoren on November 20, 2009, 06:03:12 AM
You'll need a screen capture software (there's plenty, such as camtasia studio 5.0 and VH capture)

Ok I have a program that came with my Mp3 player that allows for screen capture I can try that, and if it doesn't work I mite try Taksi or CamStudio.

Quote from: Mao Laoren on November 20, 2009, 06:03:12 AM
then you'll need something to stream with (jtv provides it's own, but it's not that great) such as FLME (Flash Live Media Encoder).  If you're just broadcasting desktop stuff, that should be all you need.

Ok so that is provided by the hosting site (at least as far as Jtv goes). I'm kind of leaning towards using my Jtv account at the moment so that's a good thing (if the program works).

*Edit* Well it looks like FLME isn't wanting to see CamStudio as a capture device. I am able to get audio just not video.