11/14/09 [DMFA #1060] - Saved by emotion reading

Started by Baal Hadad, November 14, 2009, 11:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baal Hadad

Okay, I am officially a wussbag.

Even THAT much barf in a comic grossed me out....  >.<

*leaves to wash the mental image out of my brain*

Ghostwish

As much as I applaud Abel for his save, I'd be a little worried about the 'attraction' he picked up earlier.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Ghostwish on November 15, 2009, 12:00:12 AM
As much as I applaud Abel for his save, I'd be a little worried about the 'attraction' he picked up earlier.

Hey, everybody is ... Naw, I don't have to say it.

OminousShadow

97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

ooklah

<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

OminousShadow

If you can feel it, it is an emotion. You can feel Nauseated so it is therefor, in some sense, an emotion.

Edit:And don't twist it to something like feeling someone with your hand is an emotion. I mean something you feel internally, no matter what it is.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

ooklah

That sort of makes sense in a not sense sort of way. I would never put nausea as an emotion I'm feeling. I'd put that under sick. But that's me.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Zemyla

What are the other two times?  Because I don't remember them.  I always associated pants-barfing in webcomics with Questionable Content, not DMFA.

Also: After fighting Missingno, use this opportunity to catch a Mew!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Lucheek

I swear I'm going to have to give the entire DMFA cast some kind of pill or something. Everybody is barfing on everybody else! It's a barfapaloooooza!

Edit:
I was also half expecting this:

Naseua, Heartburn, Indegestion, Upset Stomache, Diahrea!

Pvblivs

Quote from: OminousShadow on November 15, 2009, 12:27:04 AM
If you can feel it, it is an emotion. You can feel Nauseated so it is therefor, in some sense, an emotion.

Edit:And don't twist it to something like feeling someone with your hand is an emotion. I mean something you feel internally, no matter what it is.

You've already twisted it.  I would take an emotion as something that could, in principle, be felt by a mind without a body.  Nausea is entirely physical, and so not an emotion.  But I suppose it plays well for the comic.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Pvblivs on November 15, 2009, 12:53:47 PM

You've already twisted it.  I would take an emotion as something that could, in principle, be felt by a mind without a body.  Nausea is entirely physical, and so not an emotion.  But I suppose it plays well for the comic.

A good deal of emotion could not be felt without a body. There is even the suggestion that there is neural tissue in the heart and the heart muscles give out a field that can affect the mind . Also,adrenal glands.

We are all sacks of chemicals in water, emotions are little more that chemical reactions and electrical signals.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Lucheek

Y'know, it's a good thing no other customers are coming in....

Lego3400

If she wasn't drunk dodging would be suspicious to her. :\

ChaosMageX

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 15, 2009, 01:14:22 PM
Quote from: Pvblivs on November 15, 2009, 12:53:47 PM

You've already twisted it.  I would take an emotion as something that could, in principle, be felt by a mind without a body.  Nausea is entirely physical, and so not an emotion.  But I suppose it plays well for the comic.

A good deal of emotion could not be felt without a body. There is even the suggestion that there is neural tissue in the heart and the heart muscles give out a field that can affect the mind . Also,adrenal glands.

We are all sacks of chemicals in water, emotions are little more that chemical reactions and electrical signals.

I like to think of the emotions in DMFA (and several other settings) as a complex feedback cycle between the body and soul, to add some ethereal science to the mix.

There has to be a way for souls to keep exerting energy without the physiological processes of the body that create the emotions, otherwise things like soul-powered lamps wouldn't be possible.

I think that once a soul forms, it is essentially a back-up of the mind and bodily energy network that formed it in the first place.

As the body feels emotions and creates the physiological reactions to those emotions, they cause the soul to tap those energies and broadcasts them to be sensed and devoured by cubi and other emovores.

EDIT: To ponder on this subject a little more.

Whether they occur in an organic creature or an android, emotions are some kind of physiological response to some triggers in the mind.

When a soul is in the mix, these actions of the mind can trigger the soul to draw energy from some source and re-exert it in another way.

In most cases, the default response would be the soul drawing energy from the body and then broadcasting that energy.

With enough concentration, and an understanding, one can get their soul to draw energy from other sources, and exert it as magic.  There are a number of sources for magical energy, depending on what setting your in.

From what we've seen in DFMA so far, it is usually tapped from one's own bodily life energy or from the energy of another, such as the clan leader/founder in a cubi's case.

When a soul is torn from the body, it no longer has the stimuli of the body's energy to regulate its own release of energy.

If a cubi gets an individual emotional enough, a lot of energy can be built up in the soul, and if they stop it from releasing in the usual ways, they can tear out the soul and create a set-up to regulate this release into a slow trickle that can last a long time, to be used in a lamp or something.

Nausea is actually a pretty strong emotion when you think about it, since digestion tends to create a lot of energy.
After all, Les Stroud says that the best way to keep warm while sleeping is to eat right before, and then curl up to warm yourself by the heat released through digestion.

It's really weird when thinking about how the body and soul affect each other.  If a cubi can sense nausea as an emotion, could they also literally upset another cubi's stomach by jammering them with that same emotional flavor, or would it just be the illusion of nausea, like hypochondria?

EDIT2:  To analyze it some more, consider what causes nausea.  It is the body's defense reaction to something harmful and toxic being within the stomach.  When something like that is detected, it creates chemical imbalances in the bloodstream that signal the brain to begin the gag reflex and vomit.

Come to think of it, vomiting is a reaction that definitely a physiological reaction to an emotion, as it can be triggered by a number of sensory stimuli.

So yeah, nausea is an emotion, and it triggers a physiological reaction that gets the body to release energy, also causes the soul to release energy of that particular flavor, to be picked up by cubi.

And yes, a cubi could probably induce vomiting in another cubi by jammering them with nausea-flavored emotional energy.

And I think I have definitely been over-thinking this subject way too much.

Icon by Sunblink

MT Hazard

Quote from: ChaosMageX on November 15, 2009, 04:27:29 PM
And I think I have definitely been over-thinking this subject way too much.

Don't worry about that, you won't be the first or last person to do that, and on this forum you'll fit right in. 
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Lego3400 on November 15, 2009, 04:16:35 PM

If she wasn't drunk he wouldn't need to be mysteriously evading her puke.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Colgatecrusader

is it that hard to tell when someones sick? I mean Abel lived in a place where mind reading was the norm for hundreds of years, he didn't have to read people expressions to get what the were feeling.
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

Attic Rat

Nausea may not be an emotion, but I don't think you can detect yourself needing to puke without it keying some sort of emotion...

I'd guess most barf sessions start with at least a little warning. Doubling over, hand-to-the-mouth, vocalizations... Maybe at least half-a-second's warning. Enough time to jump. Abel could just make up a story "Hey, I work in a bar, I've seen a lot of this.."

Still, she tried to give him the old razzle-dazzle...
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

inuhanyo

Quote from: scorpio803 on November 15, 2009, 07:45:25 PM

is it that hard to tell when someones sick? I mean Abel lived in a place where mind reading was the norm for hundreds of years, he didn't have to read people expressions to get what the were feeling.

And he's not reading Genesis4's expression this time, he's using his Cubi emotion perception

Quote from: Attic Rat on November 15, 2009, 08:13:28 PM
I'd guess most barf sessions start with at least a little warning. Doubling over, hand-to-the-mouth, vocalizations... Maybe at least half-a-second's warning. Enough time to jump. Abel could just make up a story "Hey, I work in a bar, I've seen a lot of this.."

Which ought to work, it'll depend on how paranoid Gen is.

Forycles

Usually one can tell when another is sick...

Or at least spot their cheeks puffing up...>.>

ishidan

Nausea may not be an emotion, but I don't think you can detect yourself needing to puke without it keying some sort of emotion...

Yes, experienced bartenders (which Abel isn't, but Gen doesn't know that) would know how to dodge puke quite well.

Colgatecrusader

Quote from: inuhanyo on November 15, 2009, 09:54:15 PM
And he's not reading Genesis4's expression this time, he's using his Cubi emotion perception

I know that, i was just saying that it would be believable that he dodged her barf even if he couldn't read emotions.
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

Infranscia

I was about to say.  I don't consider physical sensations to be emotions in any way, but there are emotions that can come from said sensations.  I wouldn't consider 'nausea' an emotion, but there are some emotions that tend to arise when sick.  Kind of an 'oog' feeling, as my sister would describe it.  Same thing with pain.  It's possible that the Cubi just don't differentiate between the two.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

terrycloth

Being: "Nausea and love are totaly different kinds of things! One's physcial and the other's --"
Cubi: "Nope, both emotions."
Being: "I don't see how you just get to define that."
Cubi: "I have this sense, see, where I can *see emotions*. Nausea, love, same thing, different colors. QED."

I used a variation on this on a MUCK once... I had an emotion-reader character who could only sense the emotions of mammals. So obviously, birds and lizards were soulless cyphers. You couldn't convince him differently because who is he going to believe, you or his own 'eyes'? >:3