What does Friday the 13th mean to you?

Started by MT Hazard, November 13, 2009, 07:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Is is unlucky? Lucky? Irreverent? Do you believe in luck at all? One of my grandparents was born of Friday 13th, but that about all it means to me.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Escher

Normally I don't believe in this luck business, but when, within the first three hours of waking up, I find myself having overslept 30 minutes, scalded myself by grasping my flimsy paper cup of coffee too hard while scrambling to class, and realized in said class that a large homework assignment that I thought was due next week was actually due today... It's not really a good sign.
"A witty saying proves nothing."
--François-Marie Arouet, "Le dîner du comte de Boulainvilliers"

Lysander

I didn't even notice today is the day of interest until just now...

Dang, Escher, sound like a rough day for you.

For me, it's either average or better than normal. I don't recall anything extra terrible happening on these days. But I do have a couple cds of music where there is no track 13...just 12 and 14...   :januscat
TytajLucheek

MT Hazard

Well this Friday is going to be unlucky for some one where I am, it's raining, the time people forget how to drive.

Escher, are any of your teachers/lecturers superstitious ? Could be a good get out clause..

Sofox

Hmmmm... this Friday 13th crept up on me.
It's funny, you have the necessary pieces of information... knowing it's a Friday, knowing it's a day after the 12th... and yet you just don't put them together.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Luck is just what people call skill when they have none :P

No, but seriously, Friday the thirteenth just means another day to me.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Vidar

My mom married my steph dad on Friday the 13th, on purpose. They are still happily married.
Also, on previous Friday the 13th's, nothing out of the ordinary happened to me.
This leads me to believe that the Friday the 13th myth is complete and utter nonsense.

MYTH BUSTED!
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

Aisha deCabre

Luck, shmuck.  It's just another day, to me, really.  I've never had much bad luck on this day, not more than any other day.

In fact I'd feel rather lucky if a cat -did- cross my path without running away out of shyness. x3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Tapewolf

It means the bandwidth cap on my main website gets reset the next day  :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ooklah

I slept in for a hour... although I planned to do that today. And then I found it was friday the 13 once I got to work.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Valynth

For me it means don't accept an invitation from a French king.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Lego3400

Didn't notice till just now. I sat home and played videogames all day. (wow speficly) It seems to have brought me a bit of luck as I haven't died nearly as many times as I have some other days.

silentassassin

Xenophobic people who honestly don't just go on with their lives and live. But instead spend these days kinda scared. There is literally a person at my school who every time Friday the 13th happens on a school day *probably not school days also* come to school with twelve diffrent articles of clothing with horseshoes, 4 leafed clovers, and other crazy whatnot on him.

Tapewolf

Quote from: silentassassin on November 13, 2009, 06:51:14 PM
Xenophobic people who honestly don't just go on with their lives and live.

I'm not sure that's the word you meant there...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

bradypodidae

This Friday the 13th meant an 8 hour car trip to Florida from North Carolina. Other than that, just another day. Oh, it was an easy trip, no problems or bad Ju-Ju encountered.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

ChaosMageX

It is the luckiest day of the year.  Whether or not you decide to make that good or bad luck is entirely up to you.  Just remember the power of positive thinking.

Also, for me, today means that it is only 4 days until The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack ships, and that means in four days over 6000 people will be wondering if my Chaos Mod Painting is compatible with TS3 WA. *sigh*

Icon by Sunblink

Janus Whitefurr

It means I'm reminded how I hate slasher films but still love villainous undead damage sponge Jason Voorhees.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

MT Hazard

'UK facing 'worst storm of year'

although that's mean to be this weekend, it did kind of started on Friday.

I think if you trapped Jason Voorhees in a room he would eventually kill himself out of boredom or become the first undead powered power station. (Don't ask me how that would work)

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 13, 2009, 09:05:57 PM
I think if you trapped Jason Voorhees in a room he would eventually kill himself out of boredom or become the first undead powered power station. (Don't ask me how that would work)

He'd invoke offscreen teleportation the moment no one was watching him, then turn up when you least expect it. Especially if you're having sex.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

latei

Well Black Friday was a Friday the 13th.
Black Friday was a Bushfire in Victoria (australia) that killed 71 people in 1939.

Colgatecrusader

definetely unluckey, my toaster caught on fire that day.... maybe it was the day before... i can't remember... anyway. That was a sad day.... i had to eat quaker oat cereal instead for delicious waffles.
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

Pagan

There are a bunch of external, random things that happen to people which affect them to random degrees, but the people cannot affect the qualities of these external stimuli. Some of that stimuli is positive, helpful, or pleasant. Some of that stimuli sucks. Why not call the reason some people get random roses and others get random crap luck?

Charms, days, and rituals have about as much effect on this luck as one might think, i.e. none whatsoever. But hard work, perseverance, and finding something to keep you happy can slightly change a person's luck towards good.

Friday the 13th is a day. Just like October 31st. But there's no harm in enjoying a bit of fun in the mysticism of the day.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Chakat Blackspots

Friday the 13th has no meaning to me, just another day.  Nothing ever bad happens to me, and I kind of didn't pay attention to the fact that yesterday was the 13th, even though I knew it was the 13th, I just didn't think about it.