10/30/09 [DMFA #1054] - Extremely smooth

Started by Raiettei, October 30, 2009, 02:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiettei

Abel handled that one pretty well if I say so... and I do.

Grenn

You beat me! :D

Anyways, as I was saying in the duplicate:

I guess Abel's clan marking while noticeable doesn't seem to be much for her to be concerned over. I mean, we've heard people talk about tattoos and all that, but you would think an experienced adventurer would have some knowledge of Cubi clan markings and which one means what?

But then again Siar (Abel's clan) isn't exactly mainstream these days, so maybe that's why she apparently doesn't recognize it.

Or maybe she does and isn't saying something... but I digress...  :ipod

Also, umbrellas make any drink better. :p

Escher

I recall hearing somewhere that one should never drink an alcoholic drink that:

A) Has a humorous name
B) Changes color or suddenly goes cloudy when the last ingredient is added
C) Comes with many, many little paper umbrellas.

I wonder if the rules apply here...

In any case, I would imagine that a large, odd brightly coloured symbol on fur would be something of a dead giveaway, though, irregardless of whether or not a clan is recognizable... considering Abel's earlier alarm when Dan's came in.
"A witty saying proves nothing."
--François-Marie Arouet, "Le dîner du comte de Boulainvilliers"

jeffh4

I like especially how Abel called her a child without her knowing it.

Brunhidden

stop- hammered time

abel must think thats a kids drink, (or is using cubi powers to tell she has kids?) seeing as how weve seen him drink nothing stronger then tea yet i wonder what he considers 'adult'
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

!KCA

Quote from: Grenn on October 30, 2009, 02:08:44 AM
. . .You would think an experienced adventurer would have some knowledge of Cubi clan markings. . .

Would this experienced adventurer be from the same group that pegged "Danlexi" as a cubi because of Abel's shapeshifting spell. . .and completely missed the fact that their former member Merlitz was actually Abel in disguise?

Baal Hadad

Wow.   :giggle  I didn't expect to see Gen react like that....   :rolleyes  Way to go, Abel!  Especially for not losing your cool while doing so!  :D

Grenn

Quote from: !KCA on October 30, 2009, 02:20:06 AM
. . .You would think an experienced adventurer would have some knowledge of Cubi clan markings. . .

Would this experienced adventurer be from the same group that pegged "Danlexi" as a cubi because of Abel's shapeshifting spell. . .and completely missed the fact that their former member Merlitz was actually Abel in disguise?

Quite the good point. Perhaps the blunt object brigade is about 1 can short of a six pack? :)

I mean... Genesis DID think that "pink slip" meant she needed to take her top off when they fired Merlitz. :p

Pvblivs

Quoteconsidering Abel's earlier alarm when Dan's came in.

That had more to do with the mark being from clan Cyra.

tiggertoo

Something about Gen ordering a drink with *extra* umbrellas is just too amusing to me. I think this kinda defines Gen's character in a nutshell. Very smooth there Abel - I think he's giving the apple to her extremely immature personality -- if she ever gives any trouble, just wave something shiny at her.

Madd the Sane

Quote from: Escher on October 30, 2009, 02:13:40 AM
I recall hearing somewhere that one should never drink an alcoholic drink that:

A) Has a humorous name
B) Changes color or suddenly goes cloudy when the last ingredient is added
C) Comes with many, many little paper umbrellas.

Discworld, Hogfather. The exact quote is:
Quote from: Ridcully
I remember my father tellin' me some valuable advice about drinks. He said, "Son, never drink any drink with a paper umbrella in it, never drink any drink with a humorous name, and never drink any drink that changes colour when the last ingredient goes in. And never, ever, do this — "
At that point, he put his finger in the beaker.

Of course, it was probably said somewhere else first.  But Wikiquote is giving me that, and Google is giving me nothing  :erk
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Lego3400

Dan was changed via spells while Abel's change was a natural ablity. They can't detect natural ablity like they can magic

And Cubi hide what clan markings look like and write them off as a tattoo. Some clan marks have also become popular as tatoos as well IIRC

Escher

Ahh... duly noted.

<== Newbie to the fandom, as one could probably tell.
"A witty saying proves nothing."
--François-Marie Arouet, "Le dîner du comte de Boulainvilliers"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lego3400 on October 30, 2009, 03:37:14 AM
And Cubi hide what clan markings look like and write them off as a tattoo. Some clan marks have also become popular as tatoos as well IIRC

Just to be clear, that's a possibility I mentioned last week.  It's what I'd try to do if I had a marking that could get me killed in the wrong company - get loads of other people to wear it as well so your enemies can't see the wood for trees.  It's not something that's necessarily canon.

Strictly, the problem is that Abel's clan has approximately two members in it, and he's one of them.  Practically no-one outside of the 'Cubi has heard of Siar clan for 350 years or so, so your average adventurer has no chance of recognising it as a clan.

EDIT:  Also, there's liable to be more Beings with tattoos in the world than there are 'Cubi in total, so it's not exactly a perfect way of telling...

As for the comic, so far so good.  And I love the apple business.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Bweehee.

"free apple to the kiddies" "wanna free apple?" ;-]

Wonderful. Just wonderful. Only Abel knows he's treating her like a child. Perfect cut-down. I love it!
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sid

Gonna join in the apple crowd here - thought that was a wonderful and especially subtle joke :giggle
:boogie

Wanderer

Quote from: Lego3400 on October 30, 2009, 03:37:14 AM

Dan was changed via spells while Abel's change was a natural ablity. They can't detect natural ablity like they can magic
That was the point of the comment, you realize. That these "experienced" adventurers think that the "Alexi" they met is a cubi because she was changed via spells (something most cubi would never use on themselves) but completely missed the fact that the "Merlitz" they talked to was a cubi who'd shifted naturally (something ALL cubi use).

QuoteGonna join in the apple crowd here - thought that was a wonderful and especially subtle joke
I don't get it. Is there a reference I'm missing?

MT Hazard

Body of an adult,mind of a child, she's not a extreme case but there area all too many like that in fiction.
Personally I find that kind of person slightly disturbing, especially when I meet them in real life. Another example of the reality/fiction gulf I guess.

Although I'd like a free apple.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

latei

Ooh, Abel is smoooth. And, if she stays there all night like she says, he's going to prolly make quite a lot of money off her too.

However I forsee that Lexi and Dan are going to have a meltdown (which, knowing Lexi, means beating up on Dan) and ending up at the Inn.
However Amber has always been good at throwing us curveballs, so likely something completely unexpected will occur.

Oh, and this icon is veeery good at distracting my chain of thought.  :ipod So shiny and destracting *stares*

Chaos

Quote from: Wanderer on October 30, 2009, 06:17:09 AM

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1052.php

Oh and for the rest of you, I would like to point out one fact. Dan is an experienced adventurer. He knew of cubi, but never learned about clans. I think only a particularly studious adventurer would ever hope to know about the clans let alone know them by symbol. Thus, Able wasn't worried about adventurers when he hid Dan's mark.

Wanderer

Quote from: Chaos on October 30, 2009, 06:30:23 AM
Quote from: Wanderer on October 30, 2009, 06:17:09 AM

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1052.php

...Congrats to me for really not paying attention. I missed the content of what she was saying there in the joke of the mere fact that she WAS saying it.

Chaos

If it's any consolation, the only reason I got it was cause other people were saying there was a joke to get.

Failcakes

pffffffffffffahahahahahaha

Great job with that sense o' humor, Amber.

Tapewolf

I just love her expression in the last panel, particularly the ears.
And now I think about it, that's probably a good strategy for dealing with adventurers... ply them with drink until they're incapable, then if they do somehow realise what you are, it's too late for them to pose a threat.

rabid_fox

Sometimes I feel like the only person who's not apparently been issued with detailed biographies of the side-cast in DMFA.

Oh dear.

Ted Schiller

"Has, uh, Michael Finn been in here today?"

With regards,
W. C. Fields

MT Hazard

Quote from: rabid_fox on October 30, 2009, 08:58:07 AM

Sometimes I feel like the only person who's not apparently been issued with detailed biographies of the side-cast in DMFA.

There's a lot of stuff on the DMFA wiki but not the 'blunt object brigade' yet, perhaps some one on the forum can start one?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on October 30, 2009, 09:35:46 AM
There's a lot of stuff on the DMFA wiki but not the 'blunt object brigade' yet, perhaps some one on the forum can start one?

Oof, I meant to update the Edward picture.

joshofspam

I don't know, wouldn't her getting drunk make for more of a mess if Alexia came back and she was still at the bar?

Though this could be more of a kids drink with a funny name here.

Like one of those Shirley Temple's that the kids order at a fancy restaurant.

Contents include

7-Up

Cherry juice

With a cherry impaled by a umbrella

No alcohol

The apple is a funny jibe by Abel, But I hope this girl doesn't turn into the adventurer equivalent to Regina
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Pagan

While other comments made about how the BOB (blunt object brigade) didn't pick up on Abel's natural shape-shifting, showing the entire group's lack of knowledge-- or lack of being able to sense such things-- I'd like to mention that Gen might just be a little slower than the rest of the group. She did strip and give her dress to Merl for a pink slip.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!