The Great "Beat the Amber Hardware Issues to Death" Thread (split)

Started by Netami, July 21, 2006, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netami

Quote from: Azlan on July 25, 2006, 02:28:17 PMDid you know AMD has acquired ATI?  I forsee good things.

Monopolies are never good for the consumer.  :tired

Case looks nice, it's a good looking thing for that price considering the fan placement and large size. Newegg has my nerd blessing as well. Azlan's reccomendation may not be so bad... But yeah, definitely figure out yer costs for the whole thing and if you've got cash to spare then boost the case.

They'll probably go for a cheap name-brand HD, so I doubt giving our reccomendations on that will help. I assume they're already using stuff like http://www.pricegrabber.com/ to find the lowest cost on parts. Right, guys?  :B

Gornemant

Quote from: Cvstos on July 25, 2006, 02:36:39 PM
The case I want is over $200, a full ATX tower.  Obviously not what you need, it's just something I want someday.  :D  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119103
http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/Middle_Tower/Classical_Plus_S/M_C_PS_PC-7plus.htm
simple, nice looking, perfect finish and all aluminum, though it was pretty costy, but it was worth eeeeet! D:

Quote from: Netami on July 25, 2006, 03:10:14 PM
They'll probably go for a cheap name-brand HD, so I doubt giving our reccomendations on that will help. I assume they're already using stuff like http://www.pricegrabber.com/ to find the lowest cost on parts. Right, guys?  :B
of course, but it's all the more fun to lose time this way  :B

Aridas

Quote from: Azlan on July 25, 2006, 02:28:17 PM
Did you know AMD has acquired ATI? I forsee good things.

I hope that means that they'll stop falling behind...

Cvstos

I hope that means their drivers will improve.  nVIDIA beats them hands-down on that front, as far as I'm concerned.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Nex

In every Next-Gen war between ATI and nVIDIA, the end result is usually a tie. Last time it was a close win for nVIDIA, but it was very close.

My honest-to-god opinion about everything? final recommendations? go to the home site for HP computers and get a premade comp, then do with it what you wish. It'll probably be the cheapest in the long run, last you a while, and you won't have to put up with the crud of trying to find the one thing that went wrong after building it from scratch. Plus you get warranty too, which is a huge bonus.

Netami

As an accomplished nerd, I feel it is my duty to tell you that X brand is better than HP.

CONSOLE WARZ  :U  :U  :U

Nex

Quote from: Netami on July 25, 2006, 10:26:57 PM
As an accomplished nerd, I feel it is my duty to tell you that X brand is better than HP.

CONSOLE WARZ  :U  :U  :U

oh god, don't even start one of those. For all we know, we could have trollers who will beat this to death.

Set up the fortresses! Prepare out armies! The invasion of trolls must be stopped!

llearch n'n'daCorna

... where X stands for "almost anything reputable but dell, unless something special is going on"

*grin* *duck* *run*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Nex

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Netami

Dude, I had a Dell for the longest time. Modified SD400 or some such that I found off slickdeals for like 400 bucks. T'was a great gaming machine. GO DELL WOO! PROPRIETARY BS AND CLAMSHELL DESIGNS HORRRRGGHHHHHGGRHRGRHR.  :U

Nex

No, you just ran. Fleeing is completely different.

Netami, my IQ just dropped. congrats.

And I don't see what's wrong with HP computers. They're a very solid brand and they make their computers right. Compaq, HP, and Alienware are the 3 computer companies I trust for pre-built computers. They all have advantages and none of them slack off.

Netami

Dude.... Alienware charges you out the ASS for parts you could buy for much, much cheaper. They're as bad as  Voodoo! Sheesh... ibuypower is a much better choice if you want high-endish stuff done for you.

HP, Emachines... They're nothing to shout about as far as specs go, but they'll last forever. Foreveeeeer.

Nex

Exactly. They're built to LAST, which is what Amber might be lookin for.

Netami

Nex

[insert ravageous comments here]

Like I said: HP is a solid brand, and you can't argue with their warranty. I'm not saying HP is the best, I'm just saying it's a good choice.

bill

Is this a good time to mention the utter ownage of vintage HP calculators?

Kicks ass. Owns TI and their stupid equals buttons.

Netami

Dude... Don't diss TI!  :U

And Nex... They've decided on what they're gonna do. All these reccomendations and speculations are just going to be ignored and possibly laughed at.

bill

I can diss TI if I want, I'm the only kid in the school that doesnt have a TI grapher. HP49G+ FTWizzle!

Cvstos

Actually, with any given machine that's halfway decent I can part out something and build it myself far cheaper than ordering from HP, Dell, and the like.  It's only the stupid cheap (and slow) computers where they have an advantage.  Once the computer starts getting good, it's a lot cheaper to hit NewEgg.com and build it yourself.  You'll also likely wind up with a better computer overall.

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Netami

Quote from: Nex on July 25, 2006, 10:48:05 PM
Then why is this topic still going?

So you don't dredge it into other threads, heh. It is to sate your primal thirst for the NERRRRD.

And Mister Bucker, all I have to say to that is: 80085!

Aridas

They already decided on what to do? then why isn't it in here? >_>

Netami

It's up there. They're gonna get a case, so they're either gonna salvage the old parts or get all new pieces. Either way, ordering a computer system from a brand name company is out of the question. They've got pricegrabber, they don't need to hear our crap anymore.  :sweatdrop

Aridas

Well, I did recently link to a lot of very new parts that (seemingly) come out to almost half price. I don't care what anyone says, amber needs my deal >.>

Nex

Aridas, that's being selfish. Amber technically doesnt have to listen to all the crap we're spouting out. We're giving advice, not what she has to go by.

Amber Williams

Ok you monkeys...heres the list he sent me.  Have at ye.

Memory   CORSAIR XMS2 1GB(2 x 512MB) DDR2 801
CPU   AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Hard Drive 1   Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3160812AS 160GB 7200 RPM
Hard Drive 2   Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3160812AS 160GB 7200 RPM
Mother Borad   ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra
Power Supply   Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply
DVD Burner   NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM
Case   Rosewill R6AS5-BK Black
CRT Monitor   N/A  (I'm buying this separate)
Video Card (opt 1)    XFX PV-T71G-UDE7 GeForce 7900 GT EXTREME

Unless there is some horribly gaping flaw in this strategy, I'm gonna see if Mat can get this started and ordered this time tomorrow so I can hopefully get a compy sometime before I go insane from lack of comp.

Paladin Sheppard

Aridas

Quote from: Nex on July 25, 2006, 11:27:38 PM
Aridas, that's being selfish. Amber technically doesnt have to listen to all the crap we're spouting out. We're giving advice, not what she has to go by.

Hey, first of all, I'm only joking. (see the >.> face? no, I guess you don't.) Second, I'm still kinda concerned about the issue of pricing, since more savings = more room for other upgrades, like a bigass monitor and all that. a few bits of equipment in my link seems to be better than that stuff in some cases (other cases it's not specific enough to compare), the rest are pretty much equal, though one o' those things is definitely better. Oh, how specific I am... Er... Anyway, that's all. Just mostly interested/concerned in the compypower-to-money ratio there. I'm kinda rabid when it comes to big differences in two numbers.

Damaris

I think those specs are similar to what our tech person put together recently (after a thunderstorm fried Darkmoon's CPU).  We actually managed to build two of them for the check that they gave us for his.  Really, one of the few differences is the dual hard drive.

And, frankly, they kick mucho butt.  *pets 'puter*

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber