iPhone Unlocking

Started by Jer-oh-me, September 23, 2009, 01:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jer-oh-me

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew a good method for unlocking the iPhone. My dad found one on the train. It seems to be the first model, but it has the newest version of the firmware. Any suggestions? Trying to avoid buying software, but if necessary I'll talk my dad into it. We want to make it work on the Verizon network. I'm aware that I'll need a Verizon SIM card.

Anyway, any help will be appreciated.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jer-oh-me on September 23, 2009, 01:43:59 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew a good method for unlocking the iPhone. My dad found one on the train.

Um... are you saying he found the phone on a train?  If so, shouldn't you be trying to return it to the owner or something?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Noone

Actually, I'm quite certain unlocking an unlicensed IPhone is illegal too (Violation of Patent laws I think, but I'd need to double-check), so I wouldn't recommend trying.

Cvstos

First of all, even talking about doing that here would be a violation of the rules.

Second of all, the DECENT and HONEST thing to do is to return it to it's owner, because right now, if the cops find out that's stolen, JAIL is a very real possibility for your future.

Third of all, Verizon does not have SIM cards. No CDMA phone does.

Fourth of all, iPhones run on AT&T, a GSM network. You cannot unlock it to use on Verizon's network - it's impossible. In the US, iPhones can only run on AT&T and T-Mobile. And I'd like to think that if you manage to register it on either they'll then be able to track you down and get the phone back to it's rightful owner.

Fifth of all, you can better pray that user doesn't have MobileMe. http://www.apple.com/mobileme/whats-new/

That's right, they can use it to track where you are. All the cops (or even just the user) would need to do it track it's movements long enough to cross reference who lives and works or goes to school in a certain area and they'll know just who you are, and you'd go to jail.

Do the right thing. Go to a police station, say you found the phone, and give it to them so they can get it back to it's owner. You'll protect yourself from being tracked by GPS and arrested for keeping a phone you can't use on your network anyway, you get to make someone's day, win points with whatever cop you talk to (never know when you'll meet those guys again), and you get to do the right thing in a big way.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cvstos on September 23, 2009, 02:45:41 PM
First of all, even talking about doing that here would be a violation of the rules.

Assuming he did find an iPhone on a train.  I'm hoping he meant he found a way to unlock them on the train.

Cvstos

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 23, 2009, 02:50:05 PM
Quote from: Cvstos on September 23, 2009, 02:45:41 PM

Assuming he did find an iPhone on a train.  I'm hoping he meant he found a way to unlock them on the train.

In that case, the original post has EXTRAORDINARILY poor wording.

In either case, jail-breaking is a violation of the iPhone EULA and is therefore probably something taboo on this forum (even if it doesn't stop people from doing it). Also, as I said, it's impossible to get a phone with only GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile) antennas to work on a CDMA network (Verizon, Sprint), no matter how what you do to it's software.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

ShadesFox

I don't think Verizon even makes a GSM SIM card.  I'm not sure of EULA violation is quite taboo in this forum (there are artists here, legal copies of photoshop are rare).  But taking someone else's phone found on the train is rather clearly over the line.
The All Purpose Fox

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cvstos on September 23, 2009, 02:56:13 PM
In that case, the original post has EXTRAORDINARILY poor wording.

What can I say?  Ever the optimist...

bill

seeing as there's about a 99% chance the OP is talking about something illegal, i think this can go

Tapewolf

Quote from: bill on September 23, 2009, 04:30:07 PM
seeing as there's about a 99% chance the OP is talking about something illegal, i think this can go

But then, if the OP doesn't find it, they might not mend their wicked ways...

Corgatha Taldorthar

Nonsense, everyone knows the mine is the most viewed part of the forum.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Darkmoon

Quote from: ShadesFox on September 23, 2009, 03:02:05 PM
I don't think Verizon even makes a GSM SIM card.  I'm not sure of EULA violation is quite taboo in this forum (there are artists here, legal copies of photoshop are rare).  But taking someone else's phone found on the train is rather clearly over the line.

Everyone owns a legal copy of Photoshop. It's a violation of the rules for them to say otherwise. ;)

As far as unlocking an iPhone is concerned, if it's a legally purchased phone, the act of unlocking it isn't actually illegal. That was ruled the case by... shit, it's not the Library of Congress, but it's a body attached to it, I want to say...

Regardless, phone unlocking is a legal activity. That said, we don't allow discussion of it here for the very grace of the fact that, as legal as it is, it treads a grey area, and discussion on this topic can easily degenerate into less grey, more black areas.

In other words, please move along, nothing to see here.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Amber Williams

Darkmoon Firelyte

Nice set of numbers thar. :U

superluser

Something's been bugging me about this.  Probably the suspicion that people who discover methods for unlocking iPhones while riding on trains don't ask people if they know another way to unlock an iPhone on a train.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on September 24, 2009, 01:50:19 AM
Something's been bugging me about this.  Probably the suspicion that people who discover methods for unlocking iPhones while riding on trains don't ask people if they know another way to unlock an iPhone on a train.

The way I initially, incorrectly, parsed it was that the original method only worked on an older firmware version, which for people trying to get root access to the device is usually the case.  (This as opposed to opening it up to other networks - both are sometimes called 'unlocking')

Darkmoon

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 23, 2009, 11:37:16 PM
Darkmoon Firelyte

Nice set of numbers thar. :U

Damn it, had I but realized I could have finally quit this place!

Now I have to wait for over another 1,000 posts.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yeah. Like you need that many posts... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

Says the man sitting on well over 14000 posts here.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Don't you see? The Box wants all the posts for himself! Greedy, greedy box.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

bradypodidae

Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on September 25, 2009, 09:59:21 AM
Says the man sitting on well over 14000 posts here.
That's just the ones that are counted... over 18,800 recorded on his profile, and who knows how many that's not counting.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

llearch n'n'daCorna

bradypodidae

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 25, 2009, 03:42:16 PM

No, wait. 19915.
Ah, yes, silly me, of course you would know...

So, any big plans for turning 20,000?
:disco
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

llearch n'n'daCorna

Nah. I'm happy with the tentacles.

bill

What do you plan to do with them?

Corgatha Taldorthar

Turnsky

oh i know how to unlock an iphone, you just need the right key.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

bill

Darkmoon

VSMIT

ShadesFox

Does it go well with red whine or white?
The All Purpose Fox