08/28/09 [DMFA#1036] - Hide in fear!

Started by Raiettei, August 28, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 28, 2009, 09:44:53 AM
Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on August 28, 2009, 09:30:58 AM
"As I said, our wings are the most indestructible part..."

That too, but I was thinking in terms of force, rather than tensile strength.  That's something that's not explicitly been stated, but it has been said that 'Cubi can punch/cut through rocks with them.

Well, with an inherently high physical resistance such as that, it's much easier to strike things with excessive force. A punch that would break the bones in your hand (for a ludicriously strong instance), might just make a wingfist hit like a wrecking ball. If they weren't so tough in the the first place, physical force would break them just as easily.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Corgatha Taldorthar

I agree with Sofox, that Abel is probably taking up Merlitz's old job as the inn guy. One wonders though, if this is really aimed at Pyroduck. We know Abel doesn't like the dragon, and anything that might keep his activity down in the inn is likely to make Abel happier.

Something though, strikes me as weird as the idea of Abel, or any 'Cubi really, wanting a job except to impersonate someone. A species spending all that time in other people's minds (yes, I know, Abel filters a lot of it out, let me ramble), the idea of hunting after an abstract physical token of value, it just doesn't strike me as congruent, even if I can't really articulate why.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on August 28, 2009, 11:00:17 AM
I agree with Sofox, that Abel is probably taking up Merlitz's old job as the inn guy. One wonders though, if this is really aimed at Pyroduck. We know Abel doesn't like the dragon, and anything that might keep his activity down in the inn is likely to make Abel happier.
We don't know what happened after that.  Abel was scared because he assumed Pyroduck had come to execute Dan and possibly him too (remember what Hizell did to the rest of his clan).  As far as I'm aware Alexsi is blissfully unaware of that, but either way, Abel now knows that Pyroduck is an ally of Fa'Lina and that would probably be enough to make him at least tolerate him.

QuoteSomething though, strikes me as weird as the idea of Abel, or any 'Cubi really, wanting a job except to impersonate someone.  A species spending all that time in other people's minds (yes, I know, Abel filters a lot of it out, let me ramble), the idea of hunting after an abstract physical token of value, it just doesn't strike me as congruent, even if I can't really articulate why.

From what Amber's said and the demonology says, 'Cubi seem to love shiny things, flash clothes and luxuries in general.  Only some of those they can create themselves, the rest must be purchased.  That and a job brings them into contact with people during the day, which amounts to free food.
My personal assumption is that in at least some cases, they'll do it to boost their spending power and also just to keep them occupied.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Jairus on August 28, 2009, 01:13:35 AM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 28, 2009, 01:02:34 AM
...and the only detail that I and the other nerds will focus on is is the automatic teleportation system, and want to be fed with further details of the juicy magic-y workings thereof :U
Indeed! I wonder, is that another Jyrras magitech trick, or did Alexsi get someone else to set it up?

Also, for some reason, I am remembering a giraffe that's supposed to show up in a club arc of some sort. Am I going crazy, or does anyone else remember that giraffe?

Who is this giraffe everyone keeps going on about?

I only remember seeing two giraffes throughout the entire comic:
A giraffe cubi
A giraffe taur

Is it one of them, or another character I obviously don't remember seeing somewhere?

Icon by Sunblink

Jasonrevall

If Abel is going to take the bouncer position what happens if a bar fight breaks out and there is blood everywhere? Wouldn't it be a bad thing to have your bouncer freaking out at the sight of blood?
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on August 28, 2009, 12:36:14 PM
Who is this giraffe everyone keeps going on about?
Something tells me it was out-of-band, like something posted in the rant, on her FA or even something she was sketching at AC.  I have a vague memory that it should be familiar but I can't place it.

QuoteI only remember seeing two giraffes throughout the entire comic:
A giraffe cubi
Is it one of them, or another character I obviously don't remember seeing somewhere?
I believe the 'Cubi is a cameo from the comic 'Carpe Diem' by Graveyard Greg.

Quote from: Jasonrevall on August 28, 2009, 12:39:55 PM
If Abel is going to take the bouncer position what happens if a bar fight breaks out and there is blood everywhere? Wouldn't it be a bad thing to have your bouncer freaking out at the sight of blood?

AFAIK he's got it mostly under control by now and only goes like that when he's got other pressures or a massive amount of blood (see 627).  In 623-624, which is one of the few times he's done it, Dan was remarking that he seemed to be scared of something so that and the paint might be enough to trigger it where just the paint or a small amount of blood wouldn't.

Mao

Beyond that, a good bouncer has the issue resolved before it breaks out.  Given that he's able to hear thoughts.. that should be fairly easy, particularly given his ability filter for specific words too.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Being able to lay out the combatants without touching them wouldn't hurt, either.

Sleep-spell a gogo...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Shirou14

Hey, maybe while we're all looking at the downer Mag threw on us. Alexsi and Abel decided to go out? which may have been convinient for Alexsi, so now sh'es got someone new working at the counter X3

Ragesquid

I believe this is the "giraffe", in question.

I have nothing to say, in regards to comic. :U

Ted Schiller

Guest of Honor at Califur?  We must make plans. We must figure out how to annoy and mistrea.. er, graciously welcome our beloved Mrs. Williams.   :boogie

With regards,
Ted

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 28, 2009, 12:44:09 PM
Quote from: ChaosMageX on August 28, 2009, 12:36:14 PM
I only remember seeing two giraffes throughout the entire comic:
A giraffe cubi
I believe the 'Cubi is a cameo from the comic 'Carpe Diem' by Graveyard Greg.

Yes, he does look like Josh from Carpe Diem.
Amber usually cameos characters from other comics in pairs, such as those other characters from Cats n' Cameras that appeared in Abel's Story.
It's a shame we haven't seen any other members of the Carpe Diem cast as cubi yet.

Quote from: Fox on August 28, 2009, 02:29:57 PM
I believe this is the "giraffe", in question.

I have nothing to say, in regards to comic. :U

She looks hot.  I'll have to keep her body structure in mind when drawing my own giraffe demoness character (if I ever get off my lazy butt and do it), who has spots that are linked by small lines so it looks like random circuit paths.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on August 28, 2009, 03:16:00 PM
See also the credits in the margin of that strip  :P

Madmann135

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 28, 2009, 03:27:52 PM
Quote from: ChaosMageX on August 28, 2009, 03:16:00 PM
See also the credits in the margin of that strip  :P

Being a cubi would also explain his uncanny ability to attract others in the comic even though he is heterosexual

No matter how you put it Abel and Alexsi smiling is a harbinger of doom.  Which doom I will have to look it up in my "Harbinger or doom" dictionary.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Stig Hemmer

Alexsi is happy because she has found a new bouncer.  Abel is happy because he has something to do beside Dan-sitting, and/or because he is reflecting Alexsi's happiness.  I doubt there is anything more sinister going on than that.

Alexsi's explainations seemed a bit too detailed for just a bouncer job, I suspect Abel is to be left in charge for at least a day.  May Alexsi has a date?
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

JackTheCubiWolf

I'm back, and tired.