08/24/09 [AS2#66] - Paging Mr. Abel…

Started by Jairus, August 24, 2009, 12:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Hm... a bit of a chat about shapeshifting, which does indeed bring up the painful side-effects of someone using part of their body to make clothes. Lovely. "When in doubt, armor plate!" I like that.

Though I also like how Fa'Lina "pages" people before she telepathically contacts people. That's quite polite of her. Now I'm curious about what she needs to tell Abel... I wonder if his mom is dying, and she's trying to arrange for the two to meet one last time?

Edit:
  Fixed your topic.
    -- llearch n'n'daCorna
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

techmaster-glitch

Corgatha Taldorthar

Odd choice of words on the part of the warp Aci. It's an interesting mix of entreating and demanding.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

OminousShadow

Heh. Shape shifting ain't all it's cracked up to be. Change a bit of your flesh into clothing during as transformation and one small cut to it will be painful.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

Pretzel

The ever-changing whorls on the teacher's skin are absolutely gorgeous.

Dagardo

Quote from: OminousShadow on August 24, 2009, 01:07:25 AM
Heh. Shape shifting ain't all it's cracked up to be. Change a bit of your flesh into clothing during as transformation and one small cut to it will be painful.

Which is clearly why actual clothing is always the wise choice. But in an emergency you can't be too picky.
And I feel I must say, always with the speculation with some of you's people. But that's normal around here. So why do I say anything?

ChaosMageX

Now that I think of it, having a clan mark on the face may not be so bad if one is particularly skilled in shape-shifting.
One could turn their hair into a second layer of skin to cover it up.

It is never a good idea to use part of your flesh to create clothes and props.  Just look at what happened in this DSOF strip. xD

EDIT: Also, the teacher demonstrates one of my favorite parts of shape-shifting: the ability to keep your base species a mystery.
How do we know if what we saw in the previous strip was her base form, or if what we're seeing now is?
How much do you want to bet that most of her students are also clueless about it?

Icon by Sunblink

Garsemor

Quote from: ChaosMageX on August 24, 2009, 01:57:12 AM
Now that I think of it, having a clan mark on the face may not be so bad if one is particularly skilled in shape-shifting.
One could turn their hair into a second layer of skin to cover it up.

I'm not sure if that would work. If I understand clan marks they can't be shapeshifted or covered by shapeshifting, because they just reappear on top of the new lair.

Tapewolf

EDIT: Also, the teacher demonstrates one of my favorite parts of shape-shifting: the ability to keep your base species a mystery.

It's possible that felines, canids, mustelids etc have a different body language.  You'd have to be sure that you'd mimicked that properly or they might be able to tell that you're really a dog by the way you walk...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sid

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on August 24, 2009, 12:56:14 AM
Odd choice of words on the part of the warp Aci. It's an interesting mix of entreating and demanding.

I think this is one of those classic "It was not a demand, just a statement of fact" moments. Fa'Lina doesn't wish, want, try or need to speak to people. Fa'Lina just does. :.

(And it's weird how main canon suddenly gets all OMG-serious while Abel's Story gets these lighter moments. ...even though I fear that what Fa'Lina has to say will change that...)
:boogie

hapless

Quote from: Sid on August 24, 2009, 05:55:00 AM
(And it's weird how main canon suddenly gets all OMG-serious while Abel's Story gets these lighter moments. ...even though I fear that what Fa'Lina has to say will change that...)

Possibly "somebody" "accidentally" moved the Light O'Seriousness from one to the other... but I agree with some of preceding posts - don't try to predict eleventy following episodes using such small sample as a basis.

Well, unless your sample is Amber's brain.

//h
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

MT Hazard

Interestingly I came up with a safer, more practical way to shape shift clothes and accessories a while back. Lets just say it involved magical tattoos and regeneration.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Liatai

Is it just me, or is the warp-aci talking to Abel Fi? If it isn't Fi, it's a warp-aci that looks strikingly like it. (Is that the right pronoun?)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Liatai on August 24, 2009, 10:26:08 AM
Is it just me, or is the warp-aci talking to Abel Fi? If it isn't Fi, it's a warp-aci that looks strikingly like it. (Is that the right pronoun?)

I think it might be Fi.  It is only 3 in its present incarnation, apparently Fa'Lina summons them in cycles, like shift workers to give them a chance to unwind.

Welcome to the forum, by the way - don't forget to read the rules if you haven't already done so.

hapless

Quote from: Liatai on August 24, 2009, 10:26:08 AM

All "in-canon" Warp-Aci look similar... but on the other hand, all of them were summoned by Fa'Lina.
Anyway, the one in question is probably Fo, her then-current one. If we can believe the wiki on that. (Hmm... I guess so.)

Note how a Warp-Aci's glow color changes to the one of clan mark's here.

//h

ed: *facepalm* - my fault

Alondro

Quote from: Pretzel on August 24, 2009, 01:37:42 AM

*Charline nods thoughtfully*  Indeed... they could be very useful to create psychadelic, hypnotic patters to entrance ones' victims...  Add to the fact that in her serpentine form, she has a natural ability with coils and constriction.  

I suspect she'd make an incredibly capable predator... maybe better than me... grrrrr...  *is jealous*   >:[
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Liatai

Quote from: hapless on August 24, 2009, 10:37:48 AM
All "in-canon" Warp-Aci look similar... but on the other hand, all of them were summoned by Fa'Lina.
Anyway, the one in question is probably Fo, her then-current one. If we can believe the wiki on that.

Ah! You're probably right; I completely forgot to check Fi's age and see if it would have even been around at this time!  :animesweat It would make sense if Fa'lina's warp-aci all looked at least a little similar.

And thanks, Tapewolf! I'm a longtime lurker, so I've looked them over a few times at least.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Liatai on August 24, 2009, 10:45:00 AM
Ah! You're probably right; I completely forgot to check Fi's age and see if it would have even been around at this time!

We don't really know.  It was around when Destania argued with Fa'Lina on at least two occasions.  Like I say, she seems to operate them in shifts, so the current 3-year-old incarnation of Fi is not the first incarnation.  It may have been around during this period, it may not.  It's probably Fo, but if Fo was already retired between Aniz returning and the present strip where Abel is somewhat settled in, Fi may have replaced it.

hapless

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 24, 2009, 10:55:10 AM
Like I say, she seems to operate them in shifts, (...)

Urm... may I ask for some pointer to whatever is leading to that conclusion?

//h

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

hapless

Tapewolf

Quote from: hapless on August 24, 2009, 11:06:41 AM
Urm... may I ask for some pointer to whatever is leading to that conclusion?

It took long enough to find:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,3420.msg147417.html#msg147417

I'm 99% sure there was a clarification on that about them being summoned for a century or so but that'll take longer to find.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

hapless

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 24, 2009, 03:44:23 AM

It's possible that felines, canids, mustelids etc have a different body language.  You'd have to be sure that you'd mimicked that properly or they might be able to tell that you're really a dog by the way you walk...

In that case, is there really a personality test out there to determine your "inner animal" that is based at least partially on your body language, involving web-cam motion tracking or something?

Icon by Sunblink

M

Quote from: Pretzel on August 24, 2009, 01:37:42 AM

I had the same thought. I love the effect. I also think she looks especially pretty in the second panel.

Also, is this a night class? It looks like there's a starry sky in the window in the third panel. All this time I was assuming it was light out. :V

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Marmy on August 24, 2009, 04:37:25 PM
Also, is this a night class? It looks like there's a starry sky in the window in the third panel. All this time I was assuming it was light out. :V

It would not surprise me to find alternating night and day windows down a corridor in SAIA.

... having said that, I really don't know. ;-] I was going to say I thought it was a blackboard, but on closer inspection, that's not the case...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jasonrevall

how do we know the teacher is female? Looks like a gender change after the morph into the snake. Who knows what gender ?he/she? is.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

LionHeart

Quote from: Marmy on August 24, 2009, 04:37:25 PMAlso, is this a night class? It looks like there's a starry sky in the window in the third panel. All this time I was assuming it was light out. :V
Considering that most Cubi don't need to sleep, there would most likely be classes at all times of the day and night.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Corgatha Taldorthar

We don't know where SAIA is. Considering the rather exotic path the rats had to take to get there, it's entirely possible it's not on the same planet that Lost Lake is. If that's the case, there might not even be a day or a night. (Thinking the Courts of Chaos, or Sigil)