08/21/09 [DMFA#1033] - Ignorance like Water

Started by JackTheCubiWolf, August 21, 2009, 03:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

I'm not sure why Mab looks sad.  Didn't she plan this with Albanion?  Is something else going on we don't know anything about yet?

Did she just hear the verdict from the Creature Council?

*Charline reads it*  Death by Charline!  YESSS!!   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

MT Hazard

Quote from: Succubus_1982 on August 21, 2009, 10:16:49 AM

Heh and Jyrras will have to borrow some of Abel's skirts maybe?  :mowtongue

Perhaps Lorenda can make him something, she's good at that sort of thing.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Naldru on August 21, 2009, 02:08:20 PM
Relying too much on spelling checkers has resulted in such famous statements as "There are no amethysts in foxholes".

My point was that while _I_ know it's incorrect, I'm not going to castigate someone else for relying upon the dictionary and the dictionary being wrong.

On the other hand, having eleven other errors in your post is probably a little excessive, wouldn't you agree?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Artanis

Amber draws these comics hueg, and shrinks them for the Web, right?

Can we get a big version of the last panel?

GabrielsThoughts

the only race more assinine and childish than the fae, would have to be the race that created them...namely humans.  

I've always  found it ironic, humans managed to create every race, entire races, and species, and planets, filled with any number of imaginary creatures,  more infinitely powerful than themselves, and yet still continue to believe they are incapable of so many things without even trying.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

MT Hazard

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on August 21, 2009, 03:10:39 PM
the only race more assinine and childish than the fae, would have to be the race that created them...namely humans.  

I've always  found it ironic, humans managed to create every race, entire races, and species, and planets, filled with any number of imaginary creatures,  more infinitely powerful than themselves, and yet still continue to believe they are incapable of so many things without even trying.

"Man is certainly stark mad. He cannot make a worm, and yet he will be making gods by the dozen." - Montaigne (1553-1592)

Very true, mankind envies other animals for there advantages, but we're the ones who took over the planet and are now threatening their existence, not bad for a nearly bald ape with a funny shaped head huh?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

jimsan

Sad Mab is sad, indeed.  :mowsad
On a lighter note, I always did like the word asinine. It would make for an..... "interesting" looking Pokemon.  :B
Remember the past.
Prepare for the future.
Live in the present.

Succubus_1982

I've always quite liked the following quote from the CLAMP manga XXX-Holic regarding Humans. Its very true

Quote from:  Yûko IchiharaThere are a great many strange things in the world. But no matter how odd, how incredible something may be, if a human does not touch it, if a human does not see it, if a human is not involved with it, it is simply something that happenned. Simply a matter that will fade with time

It echos what Slartibartfast was saying in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy about the 'Somebody Else's Problem' effect. Where basically if we humans see anything strange or out of the ordinary that we can't deal with we're inclined to just ignore it as if it never existed.

Of course this is a recurring theme in fantasy tales and themes in particular The Last Unicorn or The Flight of Dragons and even The Neverending Story where mans need for proof and logic are destroying his ability to dream and imagine.

I find it somewhat sad we've come to this state of being, to be cuckolded by our elders for being silly and told that dreams get us nowhere and we need to be practical. And even if we say to ourselves we'll ignore those people and continue to dream, there's very little niches in todays society for us dreamers. Especially with the current state of affairs.

We just have to be thankful for little refuges from reality that we can find, like here.
I'm not lazy... I'm motivationally impaired

How to be an evil Overlord Part 1|Part 2

You can Skype me at lucy_locket82 but note me first or I might delete you

Arroyo Milori

It's probably best that faes are not as serious as other races, for obvious reasons.

But since did Mab have 3 pairs of wings? o.o I do believe I haven't seen that before...atleast not that I remember.

Succubus_1982

You're right. Most other times and even on the cast page she only has two! Amber must have redesigned her or something

Tapewolf

Quote from: Succubus_1982 on August 21, 2009, 05:13:23 PM
You're right. Most other times and even on the cast page she only has two! Amber must have redesigned her or something

From the cast page:
Quirks/Fun Facts: Mab's wings change in size/number/shape/colour according to her mood.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Succubus_1982

Crap I hate it when I miss stuff because then when it gets pointed out to me I feel like a major idiot *sigh*  :<

Note to self: Read slower.......check EVERYTHING.........THEN post

Jasonrevall

You know what is sad to me is that this may not be the first or the last time the deaths of Mab's linear friends were imminent.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Lucheek

bradypodidae

Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Lego3400

When she gets really angry she gets like 6 or 7 big ass ones that cover her whole back. Makes her look rather imposing.

tiggertoo

Quote from: Lego3400 on August 21, 2009, 10:02:58 PM
When she gets really angry she gets like 6 or 7 big ass ones that cover her whole back. Makes her look rather imposing.

Indeed -- like here: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_293.php -- when Mab gets ticked, she's kinda in a class of her own. Due to their usual relatively low key and/or somewhat random or goofy personas, I think most people that are around Fae tend to forget that Fae are really creatures with no real limits to what they can do except for what they impose upon themselves. (Like when Mab's parents had an argument over deciding on an appetizer: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_544.php )

Alondro

Quote from: Succubus_1982 on August 21, 2009, 04:29:49 PM

I've always quite liked the following quote from the CLAMP manga XXX-Holic regarding Humans. Its very true

Quote from:  Yûko IchiharaThere are a great many strange things in the world. But no matter how odd, how incredible something may be, if a human does not touch it, if a human does not see it, if a human is not involved with it, it is simply something that happenned. Simply a matter that will fade with time

I find it somewhat sad we've come to this state of being, to be cuckolded by our elders for being silly and told that dreams get us nowhere and we need to be practical. And even if we say to ourselves we'll ignore those people and continue to dream, there's very little niches in todays society for us dreamers. Especially with the current state of affairs.

We just have to be thankful for little refuges from reality that we can find, like here.

Well, I think you've misinterpreted Yuko's statement a bit.  It's rather a double meaning.  There are some aspects of what you've mentioned in there, but there is also the additional meaning; something unique to human nature: constancy.  The other races in fantasy have memories of things which never seem to affect their future, they don't often give themselves to reflection and remembrance the way humans do.  We constantly bring things up, keeping them alive in our social networks and collective memories.  For all those other living things, time makes what has happened disappear.  They may possess all the memories of it, but they don't think about it.

Yuuko's statements were often like that, they frequently held many meanings.  CLAMP writes very well, which is why I like it. :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Quote from: Succubus_1982 on August 21, 2009, 04:29:49 PM
Of course this is a recurring theme in fantasy tales and themes in particular The Last Unicorn or The Flight of Dragons and even The Neverending Story where mans need for proof and logic are destroying his ability to dream and imagine.

It's true you should never give up your ability to imagine and have phantasies because you're supposed to be "practical" - Supertramp put this one very nicely, I think ;). But practicality is something completely different than logic or "need for proof".

I'm sorry if this will sound like a rant (so feel free to skip), but I've heard too many people try to preach me the texbook Straw Vulcan arguments about logical reasoning destroying the power of dreams and leading to a cold, gray world where we all are just human machines, so this is kinda a pet peeve of mine.
Come on! Half of just that abillity to imagine would be impossible if we hadn't a foundation of "facts" we could build our imaginations on. How could you breathe life into characters like Mab, Dan or Jyrras if you weren't able to reason about what those people would or would not do?

I think the big problem is that many people mistake logic for realism. But in fact those are two completely different things. Fairy tales and phantasy stories are seldomly realistic - meaning, they seldomly obey the same rules and "laws of nature" that run our world. And why should they? If I want realism, I'll watch Discovery Channel. But that doesn't mean that they shouldn't try to obey the rules they made up for themself, even if those rules include dragons, the power of true love and green glowy antennae.
If you obey the rules you made up yourself, this can actually help your imagination, because you can get a feeling how those uncountable imaginary creatures would act and behave in their world.

---

Okay, if you managed to read until here, you deserve a cookie. So now for something completely different.
Way ago when Albanion cursed Jyrras in the first place, he mentioned Jyrras would be so upset when the curse takes effect. So now the curse is gone, but do we know what it actually did?
Or should the curse be that Jyrras is incapable of wearing pants?  :U