Sepheroth, one of the top evilest FF villans?

Started by Castle Pokemetroid, August 06, 2009, 11:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Castle Pokemetroid

This is a question. Why is Sepheroth, the main villan of Final Fantasy seven is known as THE most evilest villans in final fantasy history?

What the heck did he do?

I asked my friend, since he played FF7, and I didn't, and he said it was because he was made of monster parts. I made a comment asking why he looked so human. I got an answer that it was because it was due to Genova.

Now I asked him what the heck did that have to do with Sepheroth being evil. My friend said he didn't know. He did say that he's perhaps one of the toughest FF final bosses.

When I think of Sepheroth, I think of a pineapple who weilds an oversized sword, the same way of how I think bleach is a bottle of laundry soap who weilds an oversized sword.

In the Thai language, Sepheroth means pineapple, so I think of him as one.

Pineapples aren't evil, now are they?

Keleth

Sephiroth isn't evil.

He's a momma's boy who turns out to be the son of a type monster and when he discovers this he apparantly decides to shed his humanity and kill everyone.

Help! I'm gay!

Lisky

i think this VG Cat's comic pretty well sums it up... or at least, it does for me... http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=200

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

TheDXM

It has a lot to do with a certain point at the end of the first disc...

Not that it has much to do with the qualities of Sephiroth so much as just a reason to not like him.

Teroniss

Seph was a little whiney momma's boy who couldnt get anything done. Now Kefka, he was evil. And not, I have a specific goal for a specific reason evil, but Lets destroy the world cuz we can, evil. And he did too.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Seph is the most *popular* FF villian, with his prettyboy look and theme song. Therefore, he gets all of the villian qualities by default, whether or not he actually ought to have them.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Kenji

Sephiroth sends his mom after you. couldn't destroy a planet with a meteor. Like that's hard...

Kuja destroyed a planet just cause he felt like it. Turned countries against each other, brought the world to war, and decimated city after city.

I believe Kefka did some major freaking damage as well. Didn't he destroy a universe or something? I forget...

edit:
people just think he's the most badass cause of his looks.

Kafzeil

I guarantee like, half the people who hate Sephiroth haven't actually played FFVII.

I am not an FFVII/Sephiroth Fanboy, just a guy who's noticed an alarming number of discussions on Spehiroth basically turn into people parroting the same thing ad nauseam. Come on guys, think up a better insult other then Momma's Boy.

Best FF Villian? Kuja. Scenery Chewing Ambigiously Gay Monkey FTW.
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Turnsky

Jecht.

if only because Yu Yevon was such a letdown.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Kenji on August 07, 2009, 01:41:32 AM
Sephiroth sends his mom after you. couldn't destroy a planet with a meteor. Like that's hard...

In his defense, the planet was actively fighting back at that point.

As for his popularity, FF7 was the first FF I'd ever heard of. It's not like we Aussies got all the early Super Nintendo games, you know? (Except Mystic Quest, but that doesn't count). So first experience, first major villain character, nostalgia-field bonus. And -I- like him solely for the whole stoic longcoat bishounen thing. The long katana can go though. Bigger, broader swords are where it's at - maybe an improbably wielded zweihander?

For sheer destructive value, I always found Kefka the most disturbing when I got around to emulating the earlier games. Poisoning castles, his general love of violence, destroying the known freaking world, and rejecting the heroic speech by the heroes at the end. "You all sound like chapters from a self-help booklet!"

I'd still defend Sephiroth against other RPG villains though. He's not the bottom of the barrel, to say the least.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on August 07, 2009, 02:50:22 AM
Quote from: Kenji on August 07, 2009, 01:41:32 AM

In his defense, the planet was actively fighting back at that point.

As for his popularity, FF7 was the first FF I'd ever heard of. It's not like we Aussies got all the early Super Nintendo games, you know? (Except Mystic Quest, but that doesn't count). So first experience, first major villain character, nostalgia-field bonus. And -I- like him solely for the whole stoic longcoat bishounen thing. The long katana can go though. Bigger, broader swords are where it's at - maybe an improbably wielded zweihander?

For sheer destructive value, I always found Kefka the most disturbing when I got around to emulating the earlier games. Poisoning castles, his general love of violence, destroying the known freaking world, and rejecting the heroic speech by the heroes at the end. "You all sound like chapters from a self-help booklet!"

I'd still defend Sephiroth against other RPG villains though. He's not the bottom of the barrel, to say the least.

Oddly, the first FF I ever heard of through popular media was FF III/VI.  It had a TV commercial, and Mog was actually badass in the commercial (he incinerates one of the early random encounter monsters and sweeps the ashes into the game box)

Anyway, Kefka wins for sheer kick the dog evil.  Sephiroth is one of the more badass looking villains, though (badass longcoat) especially comparted to Kefka and Kuja(atleast, more badass than trance Kuja)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Keleth

Quote from: Kafzeil on August 07, 2009, 02:00:57 AM
I guarantee like, half the people who hate Sephiroth haven't actually played FFVII.

I am not an FFVII/Sephiroth Fanboy, just a guy who's noticed an alarming number of discussions on Spehiroth basically turn into people parroting the same thing ad nauseam. Come on guys, think up a better insult other then Momma's Boy.

Best FF Villian? Kuja. Scenery Chewing Ambigiously Gay Monkey FTW.

I played FF7 through 3 times throughout the years, and still own the PSone discs.

I liked the game, hate the villain.

There's a reason why people use the main insult 'momma's boy'

Because it's true.
Help! I'm gay!

Mao

In terms of villainy, momma's boys are actually some of the common ones.  Why?  Because either the mom was crazy (this fits in this case) and they're just trying to be mommy's good little boy, or because they were smothered by their mother so much they snap.

In terms of badass, yeah, Sephiroth really went for the overall in that category.  In terms of sheer evil?  Eh yeah he was trying to destroy the world to please mommy which is evil, and had no qualms killing anyone who got in his way/tried to stop him, also evil.  In terms of overall evil deeds, he didn't do much else other than try and destroy the world for mommy, admittedly he was pretty busy trying to do it and the Heroes kept meddling in things and slowing him down.  Didn't help that the whole planet itself rebelled against him either.

In terms of other villains in FF I'd say he was par for the course.  Most of them were crazy, either secretly psychotic (some without any clear motivating factors) or outright.. which is just as bad as the momma's boy imho.

Teroniss

I played FF7, and I can safely say, Sephiroth is a whiney crazy guy with an Oedipus Complex and a stark inability to accept his own life circumstances.

Both Kuja and Kefka wanna destroy the world simply cuz its there and they can.

Kenji

Quote from: Teroniss on August 07, 2009, 11:26:46 PM
I played FF7, and I can safely say, Sephiroth is a whiney crazy guy with an Oedipus Complex and a stark inability to accept his own life circumstances.

Both Kuja and Kefka wanna destroy the world simply cuz its there and they can.

Well, most the other FF bosses have that mindset. Kuja and Kefka just went through the whole process themselves instead of trying to summon someone else to do it.

ShadesFox

Kefka actually blew up the world.  Well, really he destabilized the world by misaligning magic, riping the world apart and building a giant tower that fired lasers every so often, for the sake of creating a monument to nothingness.

I think that people regard Sepheroth such a major villain because he killed one of the cuter main characters.  Forget the guy who actually succeeded in destroying the world as we know it, Sepheroth killed a female main character!
The All Purpose Fox

Teroniss

Quote from: ShadesFox on August 08, 2009, 01:24:37 AM
Kefka actually blew up the world.  Well, really he destabilized the world by misaligning magic, riping the world apart and building a giant tower that fired lasers every so often, for the sake of creating a monument to nothingness.

I think that people regard Sepheroth such a major villain because he killed one of the cuter main characters.  Forget the guy who actually succeeded in destroying the world as we know it, Sepheroth killed a female main character!

I think this says it all in that regards......

http://www.snafu-comics.com/comics.php?comic_id=301

Kenji

Quote from: ShadesFox on August 08, 2009, 01:24:37 AM

Eh, FF6 was sadder. Main character's family died and he watched em get on the doom train just as he gets off. :T How's that for a bitch?

Valynth

Quote from: Kenji on August 08, 2009, 02:25:43 AM
Eh, FF6 was sadder. Main character's family died and he watched em get on the doom train just as he gets off. :T How's that for a bitch?

Specifics might be nice for those who've never played the game as every playable character is technically a main character and most have some form of backstory/tragedy which I could list if I wanted.  Of course, the characters in my mind had more motivation for destroying Kefka than Cloud&CO. had for Sephiroth.  In FF6, much of the first world of the game is a tale of how Kefka and his cronies/empire managed to P.O. most of the characters for specific incidents (Kefka poisoning Cyan's Kingdom, mind raping Terra, experimenting on and then betraying Celes, ect.) where as in FF7 the main gathering point for the characters is "there bad men kick ther asses!" and honestly I don't think FF7 would have been "the masterpiece" that people claim it is if they hadn't done the Aeris death scene.  If the two games had similar graphics/cutscenes, I believe that FF6 would have blown FF7 out of the water.

*can't remember how long he's spent in FF6*

also, pain meds after surgery= yay!
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Kenji

Quote from: Valynth on August 08, 2009, 04:46:50 AM
Specifics might be nice for those who've never played the game as every playable character is technically a main character and most have some form of backstory/tragedy which I could list if I wanted.

I only played it once. Don't recall the names, save for Locke, Terra, Celes, Mog, and Shadow.

ShadesFox

You would be thinking of Cyan, where his family was killed when Kefka poisoned the water to the castle.  Then, later in the game, you get on the doom train, full of the ghosts of the dead going to the afterlife, which included his dead wife and son.  I need to play that game again.
The All Purpose Fox

Castle Pokemetroid

So, I can safely say that Sepheroth isn't really evil, but is just thought to be?

All I got was that Sepheroth killed some chick, then got labeled "evil".

Kefka mind controlled Terra, tried to burn down Edgar's castle, poisoned all the Domo troops and civillians, betrayed Celes, killed all the espers, destroyed the entire esper world, killed the king of their world, torn continents in half, destroyed the known world, built a tower made from the rubble, killed all the parents in mobliz, orhpaning many, many children, killed all the returners, killed Banon, killed all the people in the Imperial Palace, killed all the people of Narshe, killed General Leo, forced Cid to conduct forbidden experimants, fusing machine and magic, caused the new awakening of magic, renewing the wars of the Magi, absorbed the magic of the ledgendry statues, and he also shot down and destroyed entire towns and cities. Sepheroth gots nothing on Kefka.

Also, in my honest opinion, I think Golbez is more badass than Sepheroth.

Kafzeil

Yeah, a Momma's boy who burnet a village to the ground, played the hero like his own personal harp from Hell, and, until the Complication ruined it, had an ending that implied that Sephiroth may have very well indirectly wiped out humanity. Sephiroth resume of Villainy is just as impressive as Kefka's.

People just hate Sephiroth because they think it makes them look cool.

Personally I feel the worst FF villain is ExDeath. Mostly because he lacks the sort of unique-ness other villains have. That, and he's a damn tree. Seriously.
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Teroniss

Quote from: Kafzeil on August 08, 2009, 02:33:48 PM
Yeah, a Momma's boy who burnet a village to the ground, played the hero like his own personal harp from Hell, and, until the Complication ruined it, had an ending that implied that Sephiroth may have very well indirectly wiped out humanity. Sephiroth resume of Villainy is just as impressive as Kefka's.

Personally I feel the worst FF villain is ExDeath. Mostly because he lacks the sort of unique-ness other villains have. That, and he's a damn tree. Seriously.

That's what makes him less of a villian than Kefka though. Sephiroth tried to justify his actions, believing himself to be right because of the wrongs committed against him. However, despite this, he failed all but a few of his goals, did not destroy the world, and ended up failing to a emo pretty boy with penis envy (As suffers anyone wielding a sword that large.

Kefka knew what he was doing was wrong, and didn't frigging care. He escalated more and more damage, without remorse or justification, and he succeeded in his goals for the most part.

Castle Pokemetroid

If we're talking about just plain evil, what about Zeromus?

He's an enity created from pure hate and evil, born when the main villan Zemus died.

Now if we talk about controling or playing charaters like harps, this guy did literly that.

But I guess it was killed or weakened by using only words and images transmitted by a wisper weed.

Actually, forget about it. Zeromus ain't badass at all.

But it is evil, no doubt.

Plenty of villans did stuff like kill people, and burn down villages.

But Kefka takes that beyond another level. He just didn't do a quick kill or burning, then leave, he did mulitple actions that scarred your soul, that torchered you from that event til the day you died.

In the beggining of the game, Kefka had Terra slay 50 magitech soilders in three minutes just to prove his ability to control others.

His own soilders. He wasn't even showing off to anybody. He did it just because he could.

But yet, I never played seven, so I have no idea what kind of things Sepheroth did to make the main charater suffer emotionally.

I also have no idea on how Cloud can weild a sword as heavy as his own body.

Kafzeil

Quote from: Teroniss on August 08, 2009, 09:58:46 PM

That's what makes him less of a villian than Kefka though. Sephiroth tried to justify his actions, believing himself to be right because of the wrongs committed against him. However, despite this, he failed all but a few of his goals, did not destroy the world, and ended up failing to a emo pretty boy with penis envy (As suffers anyone wielding a sword that large.

Kefka knew what he was doing was wrong, and didn't frigging care. He escalated more and more damage, without remorse or justification, and he succeeded in his goals for the most part.

BUT here's something: Do motives really make someone 'less evil'? The Road to hell is paved with Good Intentions, my friend. Take a look at the biggest villians in history, and each one will tell you where doing what they felt would help the greater good.

Let's ignore the Complication for a minute. Even IF Humanity wasn't wiped bout by Holy, Sephiroth came within a Razor's Edge of actually succeeding. Kefka may have destroyed the world, but Sephrioth came dangerously close to as well.

Kefka also showed he was incapable of planning in the long run. he was too insane, basically hijacking others' plans and betraying his superiors. Had He been a part of the Brotherhood of Nod, or any villain with a perchent for Chess and not the EMpire, Kefka would have been a Xanatos Sucker instead of a big bad.

Keleth

LOL WUT?
Help! I'm gay!

Zedd

Kenji

Quote from: Kafzeil on August 09, 2009, 02:20:45 AM
Quote from: Teroniss on August 08, 2009, 09:58:46 PM

BUT here's something: Do motives really make someone 'less evil'? The Road to hell is paved with Good Intentions, my friend. Take a look at the biggest villians in history, and each one will tell you where doing what they felt would help the greater good.

Let's ignore the Complication for a minute. Even IF Humanity wasn't wiped bout by Holy, Sephiroth came within a Razor's Edge of actually succeeding. Kefka may have destroyed the world, but Sephrioth came dangerously close to as well.

Kefka also showed he was incapable of planning in the long run. he was too insane, basically hijacking others' plans and betraying his superiors. Had He been a part of the Brotherhood of Nod, or any villain with a perchent for Chess and not the EMpire, Kefka would have been a Xanatos Sucker instead of a big bad.

Kuja played the political game like a stacked deck of cards. Used and abused the Alexandrian Army, slaughtered em, slaughtered and damn near made extinct the Burmecian race, destroyed the home planet of his own race, trying to kill his own race in the process. I believe he got a good amount of em, I mean there's only so many that could fit on the Invincible. Purposely lured his own brother around, taunting, mocking and generally manipulating him to do his own bidding at the threat of destroying everyone he holds dear. Still think Kuja and Kefka are much better.

Emperor from IV isn't so bad either. The ass fought his way out of hell just because he hated you.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Kenji on August 09, 2009, 04:49:06 PM
Emperor from IV isn't so bad either. The ass fought his way out of hell just because he hated you.

On the topic of characters escaping from abyssal places, Gilgamesh is the best -reoccuring- 'villain' ever.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.