8/08/09 [DMFA #1028] - Darkness

Started by Caswin, August 08, 2009, 12:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucheek

I just realize Al must take very good care of his teeth is they glow like that in the dark.

Fae! Known for their magic and their oral hygeine!

Ghostwish

Quote from: Lucheek on August 08, 2009, 12:15:43 PM
Albanion being on the Creature Council was already confirmed before he showed up in the comic. Does anybody read the Demonology pages?

Lucheek knows why I've been laughing so hard from reading the forums. "OMG HE IZ ON COUNCUL!? NEVER KNEW!!11!"

Read, people! Lots of juicy information in other places besides the archives!

Seriously though, why the heck is the creature council so uppity about Jy-Jy anyway?? Has he been preforming nuclear weapons tests or something?

Caswin

Quote from: Ghostwish on August 08, 2009, 02:25:24 PMSeriously though, why the heck is the creature council so uppity about Jy-Jy anyway?? Has he been preforming nuclear weapons tests or something?
No, although nuclear weapons are probably the kind of thing they're afraid of long-term.  It's the simple fact that Jyrras, prodigy that he is, can create such advanced technology without the use of magic.  Even though his gadgets (that they know of) aren't dangerous, powerful weaponry in the hands of Beings is just around the corner, as far as they're concerned.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Ghostwish

Quote from: Caswin on August 08, 2009, 03:12:32 PM
Quote from: Ghostwish on August 08, 2009, 02:25:24 PMSeriously though, why the heck is the creature council so uppity about Jy-Jy anyway?? Has he been preforming nuclear weapons tests or something?
No, although nuclear weapons are probably the kind of thing they're afraid of long-term.  It's the simple fact that Jyrras, prodigy that he is, can create such advanced technology without the use of magic.  Even though his gadgets (that they know of) aren't dangerous, powerful weaponry in the hands of Beings is just around the corner, as far as they're concerned.

Hrm, good point. Seems he's also a bit of a business tycoon as well. Maybe they're worried on both militaristic and financial grounds?

Caswin

Quote from: Ghostwish on August 08, 2009, 03:42:11 PM
Hrm, good point. Seems he's also a bit of a business tycoon as well. Maybe they're worried on both militaristic and financial grounds as well?
That hasn't come up yet, but I do know I would love to see it.  The last strip had me wondering if the Creature Council's "pressure" might lead to a less direct conflict between the Council and JyCorp, but given Amber's policy on economics and politics (that is, that they invariably make for boring stories), I don't think that's going to happen.

That said, in-story, I can see why they would be so focused on the military angle.  At a guess, the overriding Creature outlook of "Might makes right" mixed with a heavy dose of "Everyone else thinks and operates that way, too" roughly translates to, "With his resources and technology, he's going to mass-produce weapons and place them in the hands of Beings to level the playing field and start a revolution against us the first chance he gets!"

At least, some of them probably think that way, anyway.  Amateur psychoanalysis is fun.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Scow2

I think Jycorp mechs, powersuits, guns, body armor, and (possibly) energy shields are a far greater threat to the Creatures than nukes, which are too big to be used.

But I just thought of an alternative... They fear Jyrras not because he can kick Creature ass, but because his accidental creation of sentient life may force them to give the created species and creatures a role on the council. Its not that he's a threat to them, its just that they don't want to have to get a bigger table and more fancy chairs. Ironically, Jyrras may just be "too big" to be controlled by the "Life Creation act". What are they gonna due to him? Argue with an impossibly oversized, overpowered Gryph-Mech and "Mining and Farming equipment"?

OminousShadow

Jyrras could come up with something Non-Lethal but can basically render creatures harmless. A Magic Suppression Field Device
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

Scarydragon

You know, maybe Jyrras's 'last' invention isn't even a weapon, or some sort of device that suppresses magic or whatever. Maybe, just maybe, since Jyrras is somewhat of a mad scientist, his next invention explodes or something, and either one or more of his friends and/or Jyrras himself ends up with superhero-type powers because of it, rendering any threat from the Creature Council null.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Akisohida

O think the council is worried because Jy is making items with NO magic in them. Think about it; a weapon that is not affected by magic is basically like using a minigun against cavemen armed with sticks and stones; They will not know how to react!

If he has a pulse laser that can make holes in people and an anti-magic bubble, he could be very dangerous to them.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Turnsky

i love how folks think magic can be nullified.

how i see it is, that when you boil it all down, Magic is energy, ergo some resemblance of the physical laws do apply. I.e: Energy is neither created nor destroyed, Merely transferred and transformed.

Magic can affect Technology, one just has to be creative, 'tis all, and remember that physical laws do govern both in their own peculiar ways.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on August 09, 2009, 12:29:19 AM

how i see it is, that when you boil it all down, Magic is energy, ergo some resemblance of the physical laws do apply. I.e: Energy is neither created nor destroyed, Merely transferred and transformed.

IIRC cyanide kills by blocking the uptake of oxygen.  It doesn't destroy the oxygen.
Something that prevents Creatures from being able to shapeshift or cast spells wouldn't necessarily take a huge amount of magic to do so, though I somehow doubt it could be done from a purely technological standpoint.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Corgatha Taldorthar

I still want to know why Biggs is on the Council......
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Janus Whitefurr

Magic can affect Technology, one just has to be creative, 'tis all, and remember that physical laws do govern both in their own peculiar ways.

Magic is whatever the hell the author wants it to be, thank you very much. It does not, in fact, have to obey or even adhere to what we define as physical laws. It's half the reason we call it... you know... magic.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Turnsky

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on August 09, 2009, 08:25:44 AM

Magic is whatever the hell the author wants it to be, thank you very much. It does not, in fact, have to obey or even adhere to what we define as physical laws. It's half the reason we call it... you know... magic.

True enough.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Zedd

Quote from: Turnsky on August 09, 2009, 08:38:51 AM
Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on August 09, 2009, 08:25:44 AM

True enough.
If magic was suppressed enough it would been FF8 all over again, magic damping force filed ring any bells?

Quote from: OminousShadow on August 08, 2009, 10:46:24 PM
Jyrras could come up with something Non-Lethal but can basically render creatures harmless. A Magic Suppression Field Device
Who do you think he is? Doctor Insano?

Lego3400

Magic CAN be nullified. It doesn't work on Weres due to an aniti-magic feild they have.

Alondro

*Charline personally votes for making Jyrras an h'orderve*  >:9
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Alondro on August 09, 2009, 09:44:04 PM
*Charline personally votes for making Jyrras an h'orderve*  >:9

hors d'oeuvre ? Wouldn't you find a closer mark in Kria, making it a horse d'oeuvre?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ishidan

"Demonology" papers, nuttin.
Seems like many of us missed this strip:
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_837.php

We must have short memories, to have forgotten that the bangles were an Albanion/Mab conspiracy to hang a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on Jyrras for his own protection.

Corgatha Taldorthar

I think the real question is why Mab is considering backing out now, just because Jyrrras (who, let us recall, is easily spooked, even by things like his own shadow) is getting uneasy about the bangles.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on August 10, 2009, 05:29:18 PM
I think the real question is why Mab is considering backing out now, just because Jyrrras (who, let us recall, is easily spooked, even by things like his own shadow) is getting uneasy about the bangles.

The reason she's backing out is that Jyjy asked nicely.

Of course, this spawns the question - why is that sufficient to get her to change her plans?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Scarydragon

Because Mab is just too nice for her own good.  :3
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]