My introduction to this forum thread.

Started by JaxiD, July 11, 2009, 06:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaxiD

I really hate coming up with good titles for introduction threads.

Kay! I am JaxiD, which is short for Jaxy D which is short for something else, but pronounced Jax-id, long long story behind that.

I actually love DMFA, it's one of the only webcomics that I can read without thinking the author has put a revolting amount of emphasis into making the main character super special awesome, which is my main turn off from any comic series, and also my reason for deciding to join this board.

I'm Turkish, but can write in English almost perfection.

Also! I have been thinking about making a fan fiction series of comics set in the DMFA world. More than thinking, I've been experimenting with anime like techniques for a while now and although it's not perfect I'm fairly sure I can start something up if I have enough motivation to do so. Up or down side to this though, I work in adult rated stories and humour. Is that right? The one with violence and such but no nudity? It's either adult or mature I can never remember. I hate comics centered around nudity and whatever.

In any case that could be something people on these forums would be interested in, my second reason for signing up to here.

TaDa!

bill

hello

Be sure to read THE RULES to maximize your forum experience

also please ignore all of llearch n'n'daCorna's posts

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

JaxiD

Read the rules already, they seemed to pretty much spell out "Don't be a douche" in as many ways as possible.

For maximum effect.

Not being able to type out swearing is going to eat me alive eventually but I can handle. XD

Tapewolf

Welcome aboard.  As bill has mentioned, please do read the rules.  Other than that, be good, have fun and enjoy your stay here.

As for DMFA-inspired comics, there are couple of them out there.

Life Goes On - started in 2006, and has a few 'cubi characters, otherwise fairly loosely based.  Seems to have stalled.

Foxfire Chronicles - starting in 2003, this was entirely independent from DMFA until about 2008 when it caught the 'Cubi bug.  They are slightly different from DMFA 'Cubi.  It also seems to have stalled, but hopefully should recover fairly soon.

Word is that Katarizo is liable to jump on the 'Cubi bandwagon also.  Assuming it too comes off hiatus (sigh...)  I suppose I'd better kick the author of that one.

There is another DMFA-based comic I could mention but there's a certain conflict of interest involved so I won't.

Either way, the critical part of running a successful comic seems to be updating on schedule.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

JaxiD

Yuck, Life Goes On, I wont go into details on how much that comic both revolts and insults both me and my liking and respect for cartoon animals.

Foxfire Chronicles, good comic, I read a bit of it but I can't get into it because it sort of stalls half way through then completely changes direction. I think something happened if my memory serves me well, the writer left, so forth. In any case I'm not sure the new writer conveyed the message of the plot well enough during the switch so I was left stuck without the information needed to get back into what was going on. It's a great comic regardless, maybe if I read some of the threads on this board I can figure out what's going on and get back into it.

To be honest the best DMFA fan fiction comic so far is yours, if I'm not mistaken. Project Future. The writing isn't great I have to admit but it definitely shines out as being a good stand alone comic. Though again I wont go too far into my opinions at the risk of offending anyone.

Oh I'm also very opinionated. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, maybe if someone nudges me if I cross a line?

Hopefully.

bill

talking about Jack is pretty much verboten now, given that it invariably starts a massive flamewar

other than that you should be fine

Tapewolf

Quote from: JaxiD on July 11, 2009, 07:32:10 PM
Yuck, Life Goes On, I wont go into details on how much that comic both revolts and insults both me and my liking and respect for cartoon animals.
I'll admit it's not one of my favourites but it's included for completeness and the author seems to be a decent enough chap.

QuoteFoxfire Chronicles, good comic, I read a bit of it but I can't get into it because it sort of stalls half way through then completely changes direction.  I think something happened if my memory serves me well, the writer left, so forth.
There are two basic points here.  Firstly, the original writer did leave, but that was after the 10th page or something.  It's not really something I'd have really noticed until I was told afterwards, though the comic was still finding its legs at the time.
It did change direction radically around 2007 or so when it did the big switch from Earth to Ariannia.  IIRC Turnsky said that tying it to Earth was causing too many issues and a clean slate was what he felt he needed to do.
Turnsky is an active forum member, by the way (in case you haven't noticed, his forum is also hosted here on CMF).

QuoteProject Future. The writing isn't great I have to admit but it definitely shines out as being a good stand alone comic. Though again I wont go too far into my opinions at the risk of offending anyone.

Why, thanks.  Anyway, nothing is perfect.  To be sure I can list a few problems with it writing-wise:
Firstly, I've never done anything like it before, and secondly it was written as a story and converted to comic form after-the-fact.  Squishing the verbose text into speech bubbles is always a compromise.
Thirdly, it was originally intended as a sequel and cutting it loose from its predecessor has left a few things dangling - someone who reads it after 'Chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn' would come to it knowing all about Cross, Ashley and so forth... trying to ensure that it is readable without that background is something that I haven't always been successful at.
Finally, though it's been running for more than a year, we're still in some of the earlier chapters before it had really got going story-wise.  IMHO the writing does get somewhat better.

QuoteOh I'm also very opinionated. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, maybe if someone nudges me if I cross a line?
I'm sure that will happen if you do.  I can be rather outspoken myself, which isn't always a good thing.  To be sure, I've rubbed a few people up the wrong way before now though it's something I'm trying to fix.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 11, 2009, 07:17:53 PM
There is another DMFA-based comic I could mention but there's a certain conflict of interest involved so I won't.

Either way, the critical part of running a successful comic seems to be updating on schedule.
Hm, you don't say? Except Amber seems to be doing fine... or are we not supposed to mention that without bringing Friend Computer down on us for treason?

Oh, by the by, here's the other DMFA-based webcomic.

And welcome aboard!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

JaxiD

Tempting to continue the Life Goes On discussion, but I can see it turning into a heated argument if I respond, so I wont.

As far as Project Future goes, I'd discuss it here but then it'll drag away from the main point of this thread, also it seems something weird is going on that I have no clue about, If you want I seem to be on MSN or AIM all the time.

Do I get any more hellos? =D

Brownie

Well, I guess I'll just say "Hi" since this discussion commenced without me.
Have fun!

JaxiD

Brownie?

I love Brownies.

And I love you.

Whoever you are.

I mean Hello.

JackTheCubiWolf

Welcome! Beware my killer tomatoes, blah blah blah, all the usual stuff. And my pillow just scared the crap out of me.
I'm back, and tired.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: JaxiD on July 11, 2009, 07:14:05 PM
Read the rules already, they seemed to pretty much spell out "Don't be a douche" in as many ways as possible.

For maximum effect.

Not really. The sad thing is, "don't be a douche" was pretty much the only rule, and all the others have been added because people broke that one, and needed clarification of how they'd transgressed. *sigh*

So we end up with three pages of rules in tiny font, and wonder why people can't manage to read it without forcing it upon them...

Sprocketsdance

:tighthug  Welcome!!! ^_^  I hope you enjoy your stay!

.. I was wondering why Tapewolf wasn't going to mention his own comic (him and Ren's of course).. no shamless plug?? For shame.

Oh! And from Turkey?? ooooooooooo!!! I suppose you know about Tarkan.. and I'd probably assume you don't like him :)

Lysander

Well I do look forward to whatever kind of story you may come up with. This one welcomes thee to this interesting place.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Tapewolf

Quote from: wuffnpuff on July 11, 2009, 11:53:51 PM
.. I was wondering why Tapewolf wasn't going to mention his own comic (him and Ren's of course).. no shamless plug?? For shame.

Because it would bend/break rule 4C.1, and I'm supposed to be setting a good example  >:3

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 11, 2009, 07:54:29 PM
It did change direction radically around 2007 or so when it did the big switch from Earth to Ariannia.  IIRC Turnsky said that tying it to Earth was causing too many issues and a clean slate was what he felt he needed to do.

Fairly true, in honest truth i wanted more freedom to do as i pleased, and earth as it is "now" made it increasingly difficult to accomplish what i wanted.

however i do plan on tying oh so many loose ends up.. i have numerous lynchpins in place.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

JaxiD

I'm pretty sure Tarkan has become one of those musicians who even if you do not know of his name you've probably heard one of his songs before.

Also thanks for all the welcomes. *thumbs up*

Brunhidden

Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Turnsky

Quote from: JaxiD on July 12, 2009, 08:52:17 AM
I'm pretty sure Tarkan has become one of those musicians who even if you do not know of his name you've probably heard one of his songs before.

Also thanks for all the welcomes. *thumbs up*

psst, it's "Takahn"  :3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Gabi

Welcome. Here's another 'hello' for you. :3
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

llearch n'n'daCorna

techmaster-glitch

Brunhidden

Quote from: JaxiD on July 12, 2009, 05:10:11 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 12, 2009, 04:28:52 PM
Quote from: JaxiD on July 12, 2009, 03:26:03 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 12, 2009, 02:30:19 PM
Quote from: Brunhidden on July 12, 2009, 01:08:05 PM
Istanbul?
No, Constantinople.
Now it's Istanbul.
Not Constantinople? (do you actually know that song? :P)

Well it has been a long time gone, Constantinople that is.

why did Constantinople get the works? that's nobody's business but the Turks
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

RJ

Welcome aboard. Please accept this radiation suit and basket of muffins.

If you're ever horribly injured here, I'll be glad to patch you up. :rj

JaxiD

Horribly Injured? You be trippin' home boy.

I would say.

Lisky

RJ is my fellow healer, and watch out for her rage... She, much like me, both helps and hurts people... it depends on seniority and our opinion of those involved... but don't worry too much, i doubt you've offended her... and if you have... *Bas takes a few steps back* i'll be there to make sure she doesn't get her fists too badly bruised... *grins*

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->