Another 'game' shooting

Started by Suwako, June 17, 2009, 04:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suwako

"And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever."

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/06/16/halo-3-teen-killer-gets-life-murder-mom-parole-23-years

It is a lie, My parent's respawned after I shot them.

Thoughts: "I can't believe they are falling for this."

Janus Whitefurr

Immediately went to GIS to find it, because it was the first thing to come to mind.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Alondro

So his defense is that he has the IQ of a walnut?

Did anyone here not know that death was permenant by the time they were in kindergarten?

If he jury buys this BS, I will have to declare marshall law and set myself up as judge, jury AND executioner.  The justice of the Charles shall be swift!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Dannysaysnoo

At least he has a positive Kill/Death ratio.

Netrogo

It's good to know I never have to worry about regaining my faith in humanity. It never fails, any and I mean ANY time I have a situation come up where I start getting just a leeeeeettle bit of it back, something like this happens. If serious immersion in violent media caused people to 'lose it' the way this judge thinks. Then humanity would have been wiped out with the advent of the feature film, long before video games were even a blip in a young scientists head.

This blame everything but ourselves society we're progressing further and further into disgusts me more and more each day.

In closing, and 'scuse the language, humanity is fucking retarded!
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 17, 2009, 04:54:40 AM
Immediately went to GIS to find it, because it was the first thing to come to mind.

Emiya always was a sharp one.

I'd say that I find myself stunned, or flabbergasted, except that I do not.

However, from the text of the article, it's not clear whether the defendant tried to use this argument, or whether this is something the judge managed to come up with on his own. It seems despite his surely-insightful judicial wisdom, he sentenced the boy to life in prison with possibility of parole, which is halfway comforting. Hopefully he'll learn that life doesn't have a respawn timer in prison.

Lysander

Wow. Yeah, no video game could persuade someone to believe that if someone died they'd respawn. If the kid actually used that as his argument he had serious issues to begin with.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Ryudo Lee

I've been playing violent video games for over 20 years.  Does that mean I'm liable to be a homicidal maniac?  Dumbass judge.  He says they don't know enough about these games, and then says that the kid is addicted to the games.

This is only going to fuel the Jack Thompson's of the world.  I can already see it coming.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Lisky

D: we need to send more flowers to quell the Jack Thompson's of the world

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Dekari

I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

Noone

About the worst thing I've personally seen from Halo 3 gamers is that when it came out, many chose to play it instead of doing a research paper for arts of expression class. As much as they should, stories like this don't surprise me at all anymore, sad, but I guess there's a limit at X approaches negative infinity...

Turnsky

i've said it once, i've said it twice, i'll say it as many times as necessary.

If you cannot tell the difference between fantasy and reality, then you're pretty bloody screwed up in the head in the first place.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Netrogo on June 17, 2009, 09:40:09 AM
It's good to know I never have to worry about regaining my faith in humanity.
I still had a little. Then I poked around some of the links on that page. Now I think I'm gonna go be a hermit.

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 17, 2009, 10:58:05 AM
I've been playing violent video games for over 20 years.  Does that mean I'm liable to be a homicidal maniac?
Because, you know, a dozen people represent a group of thousands or millions. People need to learn the difference between violent people playing video games, and people playing violent video games. They're not the same! 'A'
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Netrogo

Once upon a time I actually posted here.

rabid_fox

To be fair, Halo 19 makes me pretty parent-murdery too.

Oh dear.

cruz928

uuuuummmmmmmmmmm. Im 13. play video games all the time. and I know that if I killed my parents theyd not come back to life. And also saying that im a 13 year old who plays lots of video games.

SAYING THAT VIDEO GAMES MAKE PEOPLE GO CRAZY IS CRAZY IN ITS SELF.

Lysander

I wholly agree with that, cruz. I've actually learned many things useful to life from all the games I've played, and not only that, games can also help gain abilities you might not normally have like endurance with DDR. I know for a fact I'm a better shot with a gun because of all the sniping I'd do in games like Halo because I used to be a horrible shot, didn't have to opportunity to try for a number of years, and I go to shoot again and I'm an excellent shot in comparison. The US Army recruits, or at least used to try to recruit, people who would do exceptionally well in the game America's Army. Games are not only a good time with friends, they also help improve your life. Unless you're a freakin' idiot who'd go on a shooting spree with or without video games.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

cruz928

Yeah like little psycho here. Plus the story said that the kid tod them to close there eyes tand that he had a surprise for them. Yeah cause that  sounds like a ton of video games.

Also why did the father ask for leniance. I know its his son but.

Faerie Alex

Quote from: cruz928 on June 18, 2009, 02:20:34 PM
Also why did the father ask for leniance. I know its his son but.
I would imagine for that reason, and because prison isn't going to get his wife back. Way I see it, laws are there to prevent crimes, and prisons are there to keep violent or dangerous people off the streets (the intent, at various times, also being to reform, though I'm not sure how well that's working). Yes, the kid committed a crime, yes, he should be punished, but IF he's not going to be a menace to society in the future, why have him killed or sent away for life or whatever?

Edit to clarify: If I was shot and/or killed, this would be what I'd like to see happen; I don't just mean that in regards to this guy.

cruz928

The thing is. He killed his mother and shot his father also trying to make it look like a murder suicide. Over a video game. We dont know what hes going to do to other people

Also. please excuse the mistakes I make in typing.

Faerie Alex

Well, perhaps this is a psychological problem, not a problem that will be helped by sending him up the river? I mean, maybe it isn't, but it's something to think about.

cruz928

Yeah thats true but if he has a psycological problem hed still be sent away to an asylum or something.

Alondro

Quote from: cruz928 on June 18, 2009, 02:30:46 PM
The thing is. He killed his mother and shot his father also trying to make it look like a murder suicide. Over a video game. We dont know what hes going to do to other people

Also. please excuse the mistakes I make in typing.

Exactly.  If he's doing things like this at his age, he's a psychopathic lunatic who cannot be allowed to roam freely in society.  
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Faerie Alex

Quote from: cruz928 on June 18, 2009, 02:35:15 PM
Yeah thats true but if he has a psycological problem hed still be sent away to an asylum or something.
I'd probably agree with you on this point. Just being put in a cage isn't going to do much for him. If he can be "reprogrammed" then, it goes back to my previous question. If not, then yeah, it would be for the best to keep him out of society.

cruz928

Yeah either way hes being sent away. even though I personally believe he should be in an assylum but you know.

Ryudo Lee

He'd probably get the help that he desperately needs in a mental health institute.  Shipping him off to jail most likely won't help, and will probably only make his situation worse.  The majority of people in jail are, or will become, repeat offenders (I'm pretty sure there are statistics to back that up too).

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Alondro

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 18, 2009, 05:09:34 PM
He'd probably get the help that he desperately needs in a mental health institute.  Shipping him off to jail most likely won't help, and will probably only make his situation worse.  The majority of people in jail are, or will become, repeat offenders (I'm pretty sure there are statistics to back that up too).

Some people simply need to be put away for their entire lives because they will never be anything but dangerous to other people.  Somebody who starts out like this has a very high probablility of being one of those.

Tipod

Ahahaha, this kid looks like a real winner all right.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Alondro on June 18, 2009, 06:30:47 PM
Some people simply need to be put away for their entire lives because they will never be anything but dangerous to other people.  Somebody who starts out like this has a very high probablility of being one of those.
Similarly, this guy has a high probability (80%) of being bald. (Don't believe me? He's quoted in the NYT.) Maybe he can't be cured, but maybe he can.

Alondro

Quote from: modelincard on June 19, 2009, 07:31:29 AM
Quote from: Alondro on June 18, 2009, 06:30:47 PM
Similarly, this guy has a high probability (80%) of being bald. (Don't believe me? He's quoted in the NYT.) Maybe he can't be cured, but maybe he can.

Somehow, I doubt hair loss is as dangerous to the general populace as murder.  An 80% chance of hair loss, people can deal with.  An 80% chance someone else innocent is killed, a bit more serious I should think.