05/10/09 [DMFA #1000] - Cyra's intro

Started by Baal Hadad, May 10, 2009, 02:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnsky

and before i forget..

*shakes fist at Amber*

Cuuuurrrrssssseeee YOOOOOOOOooooou!

*gets back to working on comic because of senseless motivation by shiny*

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

marmoe

I'd like to take the opportunity to say: Thank you, Amber, for a wonderful comic.

Quote from: jeffh4 on May 10, 2009, 03:08:00 AM
Quote from: Maril on May 10, 2009, 03:03:38 AM

Three actually.  But I don't think anyone knows where Fa'Lina's clan symbol is.  Don't think it's on her chest though...

To think of all the time wasted spent staring at Fa'Lina's chest. . . . :)
That's why you did not see it, where Amber hid it in plain sight.  :mowwink
You can find it on her warp arcis and beneath her office window

OminousShadow

That intro is way beyond awesome. Anymore awesome than this and I'm sure heads would explode.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

Tapewolf

Awesome.

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 10, 2009, 03:44:02 AM
While it is indeed a good font I have a little trouble reading it. Does she say 'hello Darid'?

I thought Cyra had messed up and called him "David" at first  :P

This looks like it should be an interesting conversation.  Given that Dan knows practically zip about his clan, I hope Cyra is a patient woman/goddess.  I can imagine his next question will be something like "Who are you and how did you get in my dream?" or "You seem to have wings coming out of your butt.  How do you sit down?"

I wonder how hands-on Founders usually are in their approach to their children?  I had imagined that Cyra was barely aware of Dan's existence, let alone that she had been actually been observing him.
Given the Cyra propensity for terrifying Beings and sucking out their souls, I hope she's cool with the fact that Dan's goals are to defend and protect Beings instead.  Otherwise their "friendship" is going to be a very, very short one.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

JackTheCubiWolf

You of all people should know that not all cubi are evil and collect people's souls. Cyra might have to reach tri-wing level but she might not any more.
I'm back, and tired.

Wanderer

Quote from: Leoleonardo on May 10, 2009, 03:13:43 AM
Quote from: Tikki on May 10, 2009, 03:02:37 AM
People seem to be forgetting that Fa'Lina is a founder too. Her clevage is not sporting her clan marking!

Where did it show Fa'Lina is a clan founder? She doesn't have three wings like the others :P
:shapeshifters

Anyway, this is a very nice looking page, and a well-done milestone. Should we encourage Amber to aim for 2000 strips now?

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 10, 2009, 08:41:09 AM
Given the Cyra propensity for terrifying Beings and sucking out their souls, I hope she's cool with the fact that Dan's goals are to defend and protect Beings instead.  Otherwise their "friendship" is going to be a very, very short one.

Given Dan's past encounters with other cubi, not to mention his mother's warnings, methinks Dan's a little bit wiser for the ware.

Ren Gaulen

I am in awe. Cyra has left me in awe. :eek

Perhaps she wants to turn Daniel to the Dark Side? :B

Arroyo Milori

I'm glad Amber didn't disappoint us with the 1000th comic update. This update left me awestruck. Now if only Amber could somehow turn this comic into a desktop background...

Corgatha Taldorthar

Wow........... ni-ice. I was half expecting 1000 to be some sort of joke comic, just to mess with everyone's heads and expectations. The Cyra introduction is just awesome........

Although a part of me wonders how the weight of her upper body doesn't break her legs. But maybe that's just dream physics.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

OminousShadow

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 10, 2009, 08:52:47 AM
I am in awe. Cyra has left me in awe. :eek

Damn it. You now have me imagining her with Darth Vader's voice and telling to to join her in the Dark Side as it is his destiny to.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

Tapewolf

Quote from: JackTheCubiFerret on May 10, 2009, 08:50:34 AM
You of all people should know that not all cubi are evil and collect people's souls. Cyra might have to reach tri-wing level but she might not any more.
I'm going by what Fa'Lina told Abel.

Quote from: Turnsky on May 10, 2009, 08:51:06 AM
Given Dan's past encounters with other cubi, not to mention his mother's warnings, methinks Dan's a little bit wiser for the ware.
A lot depends on whether he thinks she's real.  If I believed it was a lucid dream, I'd probably react very strangely (think "anti-walkthrough" strangely) .

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 10, 2009, 08:52:47 AM
Perhaps.  It would have to be done slowly and gently, though.  Dan was convinced Fa'Lina and Abel wanted to turn him into a monster so clan leader or no (and he may or may not have twigged that) he's unlikely to trust her, especially after having heard of his mother's crimes.

Interesting thoughts:
Dan may ask her about Destania's past
Cyra may be using Fi as some kind of transceiver node to get into Dan.

Wanderer

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 10, 2009, 09:03:25 AMAlthough a part of me wonders how the weight of her upper body doesn't break her legs. But maybe that's just dream physics.
Don't be silly. Anyone who watches anime knows that hair is completely weightless. :P And wings support themselves, because they're... you know... wings. They fly and stuff. So, no weight there either. :D

Tycoon

I can safely say that the second thing that came to mind (after mentally screaming "Whoa!") was this:

Damaris Cyra: Arise Alec Daniel! And fear not!
I am the Arch-Angel Damaris Clan Founder Cyra! And I have a message from the Lord Myself!
Come to me to receive the... message...

Alec Daniel: 'Kay.

Oh... Oh my...

>:3

candide

First, to Amber:

Whoa, Indeed!

That's quite an amazing bit of artwork, and an amazing plot point.

Quote from: Madd the Sane on May 10, 2009, 03:57:15 AM
People seem to be forgetting that Fa'Lina is a founder too. Her clevage is not sporting her clan marking!

Where did it show Fa'Lina is a clan founder? She doesn't have three wings like the others :P
Actually, she does.

I recall seeing an image of Fa'Lina with all 3 of her pairs of wings visible.  It's somewhere on the DMFA site...

Quote from: Garsemor on May 10, 2009, 03:47:50 AM
I wonder what Abel is doing. My guess rushing to Dan's room to warn him of Cyra's presence. But it's too late for that.
Why should he be worried about Cyra coming to visit Dan?  Shouldn't the Clan Founder have his/her members' best interest in mind?  Depending on Abel's relation to the Cyra clan, and Cyra herself, he would either be greeting her warmly or shivering under the nearest bed.
That, of course, assumes that Abel's even aware of Cyra's presence.  If Cyra's that powerful, don't you think she'd be able to communicate with one of her scions without making her presence known to anyone else?

Gabi

CONGRATULATIONS, AMBER!!!!

Both on reaching #1000 and on the visa extension. :3

And I agree that Cyra looks impressive. That was a great entrance!!
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on May 10, 2009, 10:06:54 AM

Gnnn.  I knew I'd forgotten something.  Congratulations on that - let's hope the rest of the process goes as smoothly!

**EDIT**

As for the clan mark locations, Fa'Lina's is supposed to be on her hip from what I've heard, and here's another tri-wing with no central mark:

http://www.missmab.com/graphics/C_October.jpg

...it may be that the one in Cyra and Siar's is an copy, an affectation for formal reasons rather than her actual main clanmark.

SpottedKitty

Wow.

'Scuse me, I need to pop my eyeballs back in, and pick my jaw up off the floor. Cyra certainly knows how to make a dramatic entrance.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Indy

ASKFKDS *explode*

...I have gotta say, eight years ago when I started reading, I can't say I imagined this awesome would be in store. Great job Amber. I hope you're proud of yourself. You really should be.

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 10, 2009, 09:03:25 AMAlthough a part of me wonders how the weight of her upper body doesn't break her legs. But maybe that's just dream physics.

Are you not looking at her legs? They're incredibly.... well-muscled. Yes, there's a nice safe word. Not to mention her hips appear to be wider than her shoulders... I'd say she has plenty to hold herself up.

Garsemor

Quote from: candide on May 10, 2009, 09:34:28 AM
First, to Amber:

Whoa, Indeed!

That's quite an amazing bit of artwork, and an amazing plot point.

Actually, she does.

I recall seeing an image of Fa'Lina with all 3 of her pairs of wings visible.  It's somewhere on the DMFA site...

Quote from: Garsemor on May 10, 2009, 03:47:50 AM
I wonder what Abel is doing. My guess rushing to Dan's room to warn him of Cyra's presence. But it's too late for that.
Why should he be worried about Cyra coming to visit Dan?  Shouldn't the Clan Founder have his/her members' best interest in mind?  Depending on Abel's relation to the Cyra clan, and Cyra herself, he would either be greeting her warmly or shivering under the nearest bed.
That, of course, assumes that Abel's even aware of Cyra's presence.  If Cyra's that powerful, don't you think she'd be able to communicate with one of her scions without making her presence known to anyone else?
I think the over sized warp-aci is a pretty big indicator of something strange so Abel might not know exactly what is happening but he is most likely heading to Dan's room to check up if anything. Also I think cubi can sense other cubi whit strong auras, as Aaryanna implied page 499. Her exact words were "Fa'lina was here?! She actually left the academy?! I can't believe I didn't sence her!". So if a tri-wing was here (physically or mantaly) her aura would be strong and Abel would most likely sens it.

Also Great job Amber

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 10, 2009, 09:10:40 AM
A lot depends on whether he thinks she's real.  If I believed it was a lucid dream, I'd probably react very strangely (think "anti-walkthrough" strangely) .

Cyra might genuinely be trying to "help" Dan, y'know.. given that i'm seeing a real matriarchal type character here.

Arcblade

I want hair like that.  Wow....

... yeah, that qualifies as epic.  Good job, Amber. 

Pagan

Quote from: Tycoon on May 10, 2009, 09:32:50 AM
I can safely say that the second thing that came to mind (after mentally screaming "Whoa!") was this:
Damaris Cyra: Arise Alec Daniel! And fear not!
I am the Arch-Angel Damaris Clan Founder Cyra! And I have a message from the Lord Myself!
Come to me to receive the... message...

Alec Daniel: 'Kay.
Oh... Oh my...

>:3
... That is... --Actually, it's quite wrong, but it is still very funny.

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 10, 2009, 03:44:02 AM
While it is indeed a good font I have a little trouble reading it. Does she say 'hello Darid'?
I thought Cyra had messed up and called him "David" at first  :P
Thank god I wasn't the only one who saw "David" first!

Daniel, what are you doing!? Get down on your knees, show some respect to the goddess!
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

mopman

Grats to you Amber for working so hard to get to this point and to all of us whom you have allowed to tag along as you created this world for us to enjoy  :mowcookie
" Man is the only animal that blushes - Or needs to " Mark Twain

Lucheek

Congrats on #1000 Amber! The comic has really come a long way.

Also, I also want to praise your fashion sense. Seriously, DMFA has the coolest fantasy-fashion eeeeever. EVER. I love Cyra's little hair baubles.

Finnaly:

That's grade-A shiney!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on May 10, 2009, 10:22:23 AM
Cyra might genuinely be trying to "help" Dan, y'know.. given that i'm seeing a real matriarchal type character here.

Most likely.  He is part of the Clan's future, after all.  However, that doesn't mean that they have to see eye-to-eye over everything.  Dan may not like her methods, she may feel that Dan's "protect-the-Beings" thing is a symptom of his immaturity.

And like I say, how Dan reacts depends on whether he believes she is real and not a hallucination.
Ever see Red Dwarf?  In one episode, holographic Rimmer travels back in time to try and help his former self.  Flesh-and-blood Rimmer writes himself off as a mushroom trip, and Dan may do the same.
It doesn't matter how benign her intentions are towards Dan if he thinks her Holy Vision is some kind of trip and ignores it all.

Garsemor

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 10, 2009, 10:41:37 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on May 10, 2009, 10:22:23 AM

Most likely.  He is part of the Clan's future, after all.  However, that doesn't mean that they have to see eye-to-eye over everything.  Dan may not like her methods, she may feel that Dan's "protect-the-Beings" thing is a symptom of his immaturity.

And like I say, how Dan reacts depends on whether he believes she is real and not a hallucination.
Ever see Red Dwarf?  In one episode, holographic Rimmer travels back in time to try and help his former self.  Flesh-and-blood Rimmer writes himself off as a mushroom trip, and Dan may do the same.
It doesn't matter how benign her intentions are towards Dan if he thinks her Holy Vision is some kind of trip and ignores it all.

First of, if I know Dan he will either come whit a fast non taught trough comment or he will ignore what she said and hit on her, of course there is the rare thinking Dan who might actually try to be a bit strategic in his comments. And second, yes I saw that episode but if I remember it didn't work out too well whit 3 Rimmers, 2 Lesters and a lot of confusion.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 10, 2009, 10:08:13 AM
Quote from: Gabi on May 10, 2009, 10:06:54 AM

Gnnn.  I knew I'd forgotten something.  Congratulations on that - let's hope the rest of the process goes as smoothly!

Agreed. Congratulations, Amber! <3 Thank you for making such a wonderful webcomic and for sticking with it for so long.

Relevantly, Cyra is AMAZING. Oh my god, so much win in one page. If I could articulate myself properly I'd be fawning over the artwork and her design. I didn't spot her clan marking the first time I looked at the page; it blended into her fur.

Nerikull

Freakin' awesome!

:goamber

Love all 1000, and look forward to more!

*slinks back into the lurk-zone*
--Nerikull Murakami
"When life hands you lemons, chuck them back until life hands you the winning lottery ticket!"

iownpants

I was staring at her clan mark, I swear!  Actually, it's Cyra's legs that have got me mesmerized.  Particularly her, yeah, uh, anyway...
So, now that the gawking is over, it's time for congradurations!  Woo, Amber, you rock!  Awesome, yeah, woo-hoo! :ipod
Methinks that, while it is certainly true Cyra is a clan founder and quite powerful, she is not lacking the cubi ego.  Seems a bit arrogant to me to come down upon Dan all, I am your god!  Also, am I the only one who sees a mischievous smirk instead of a gentle smile?  Maybe I'm crazy.