My life sucks.

Started by Rakala, March 30, 2009, 03:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakala

Well, it's been a week since I've gotten my driver's license. On the way back from dropping my friend off at work. Now I'm in Kansas so the roads were pretty bad, but I was driving carefully, going just at the minimum speed limit on the highway when all of a sudden this car slides out of nowhere, T-bones me and I black out. Now I'm in the hospital typing with one hand and I'm lucky enough to be at the point where I'm not in pain but the pain pills don't have me entirely incoherent. Most of my ribs, both my legs and one arm is broken, as well as several other problems. Good news is I should make a full recovery.

Tapewolf

Urk.  It sounds a bit trite, but get well soon.  Sounds like you were lucky to get out of it alive.

Best regards.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Ouch. Damn, that sucks. Like Tape said, get better soon, but at least you'll apparently make a full recovery. Um, how did the other driver make out? And for that matter, I'm guessing your car got totaled? Again, sucks, but I hope you get better quick.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Rakala

Other driver? No idea. He's in a prison infirmary for drunk driving. As for my car... yes it is totaled and it was also my mom's. I just woke up yesterday as well and boy do I smell awful.

Gabi

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the insurance covers the damage to both you and the car (I'm still trying to get the money for a crash that destroyed half of my mom's car in September). In any case, it's good that you're still alive and won't have any permanent consequences. I hope you get well soon. Take care, Rakala. This is a bad time for you, but it will pass.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Corgatha Taldorthar

Ouch.

Get well soon. We miss you around here when you're not active.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Lisky

I'd offer a hug... but that might upset the injuries...  :3

when you get home, if someone tries to tape your ribs, remove the tape ASAP, it constricts your lungs to the point that fluid can build up, and you can drown in your sleep... sorry, medical field stuff isn't the most pleasant...
all in all, it sounds like you came out a little worse for ware, but alive... and that's what is important.

i wish you a speedy, and as painless as possible recovery. you will be missed until your return.

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

llearch n'n'daCorna

Basilisk, I'd suggest that rather than "remove the tape", you recommend "get someone qualified to advise on how much tape to wear, and where".

It's a subtle difference. After all, I don't expect you to give medical advice for free, nor do I expect to quiz you on advice you've given without being able to see the injuries. And, whilst you might be right, I'm pretty sure you can't see the injuries in question, let alone have suitable qualifications (ie, I don't think you have completed training, have you?).

Having said that, I'm fully up for defending your right to make suggestions, and I'm dead set for wishing Rakala well. I note that if the other guy was drunk=driving, he's probably ok; as I understand it, drunk people tend to flop, whereas non-drunk people tense up, with the result that drunk people tend to end up with fewer injuries. :-/

Oh, and Rakala? It's a forum. Type at your own pace, we'll happily wait for you. ;-] Best wishes, get well soon, etc etc. We'll be here when you get back, honest.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lisky

well, the idea most parents/older people have when they tape ribs is to wrap layers around the chest... and that is a horrible idea, if the chest cavity can't expand beyond a certain point, saliva is what fails to get expelled from the lungs... and, although you usually end up with a coughing fit, sometimes that isn't enough... chances are, the people at the hospital already went over this...

while correct that i'm still a doctor in training (little over a year before i start true med-school) part of the pre-med program qualifies you for service as an EMT... which generally is all about first aid, and general physiology... the topic of taped ribs was brought up when one of my classmates listened to their parents advice over the doctors who just said "don't tape your ribs... it's bad" rather than explaining what happens... after a 2 minute lecture from the prof, i now understand why it is bad, and why i feel it is important to pass that information along... up until about 10 years ago, wrapping tape around the chest to support the ribs was common practice.

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

llearch n'n'daCorna

oh, so you're EMT grade, but not (yet) a full doctor?

Well, that's useful information. And yes, your point is (gratefully) appreciated; I never meant it wasn't. Just... whilst I know _you_ know what you're talking about, I can't speak the same for everyone reading this page. So... being careful about who might accept your advice is just wise practice, IMO.

Consider it me being careful on your behalf. ;-]

Rakala

Anyways, I will still be typing. I realize I have the ability to type at my own rate and I will probably start making frequent posts again due to lack of ability to do anything else whenever I'm conscious.

But no, I have learned to pay attention to the doctor's, especially when... well I won't share because it involves unpleasantness beyond the point most people can stand. Suffice it to say plastic tubes in the urethra are uncomfortable.

Ultimatum479

...Talk about dedication. Posting on a forum would be the last thing I'd think of doing when stuck in a hospital. Congrats on finding something that'll work your uninjured hand; some physical activity is better than none while you've got a pair of broken legs. Accidents when you've just gotten your license will usually make your insurance costs skyrocket, so make sure you attack the problem early: emphasize to the insurance company that it was in absolutely no way your fault, as soon as possible.

Lisky

Almost qualified for EMT, i have my licensing testing at the end of April, but for all intents and purposes, i've got the knowledge

and i'll be able to work as an EMT through med-school, which, although will be fairly tough... it'll mean not incurring around $50,000 - $100,000 in debt

anyway, to rakala, hope you feel better again, and we'll be rooting for you.

Darkdragon

Ooh, that's terrible, and I've been there, so I can sympathize. It's great that you will make a full recovery, and at the very least you have the forums to keep you company to help you weather though this.

We all hope you can recover swiftly. 

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Cyarus on March 30, 2009, 10:21:58 PM
...Talk about dedication. Posting on a forum would be the last thing I'd think of doing when stuck in a hospital. Congrats on finding something that'll work your uninjured hand; some physical activity is better than none while you've got a pair of broken legs.

Heh. My wife's ex ended up in hospital after falling off his motorbike (broke his back on an otherwise unimpeded stretch of road, and ended up paraplegic); he had a laptop and cellphone smuggled into ICU and was using the laptop whilst in there.

Mind you, he was also chatting up the nurses, and ended up going out with one of them, I think... A "bit of a character", you might say. *grin*

Rakala

Great. Now I read a report that somebody I knew was dead. Just my luck. I've been able to deal with it up to this point but I'm almost to my limit.
http://www.kansascity.com/116/story/1115233.html

Jairus

Oh, ouch. This just hasn't been a good week for you, has it? I'm sorry, Rakala. :hug (gingerly)
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Lysander

Shiz, man, that sucks. Very good to hear that you will make a full recovery. Hope it will be a swift one, as well as with the emotions. Condolences go out to ya.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Sicill

oh....    my condolences to you.
I seriously hope that you manage a swift and complete recovery from this trauma.

Rakala

Well, it wasn't somebody I was close to, just some guy who I knew and thought was cool. More of an acquaintance. I'm not inconsolable about his death just really bummed out.