03/16/09 [DMFA #983] - Oh, Kria.

Started by Jairus, March 15, 2009, 11:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Akisohida on March 16, 2009, 11:52:12 AM
Oh! Oh! DP! I know Dans weakness! Feed him shellfish! No feathers = no wing-tentacles! :D
Actually, isn't that what Devin's bringing?  Though for that to work, they'd have to break the duel-to-the-death for lunch.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Draken

Kria: "ENOUGH!  Devin brought lunch."   :mowhappy
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 16, 2009, 11:58:19 AM
Quote from: Akisohida on March 16, 2009, 11:52:12 AM
Oh! Oh! DP! I know Dans weakness! Feed him shellfish! No feathers = no wing-tentacles! :D
Actually, isn't that what Devin's bringing?  Though for that to work, they'd have to break the duel-to-the-death for lunch.
No, it just looks like sushi, unless I missed an ingredient. It could just be salmon.

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 16, 2009, 11:39:24 AM
Couple things I figure I should mention:

For those who seem to think Dan keeps getting power-ups from all the pain going around, keep in mind Dan has pretty much always been passively emotional feeding.  While he's likely getting some sort of rush, its more in the sense he's passively absorbing emotions he's affined to rather than say, passively absorbing ones he is not.  Dan's not a sponge, and even if he was he likely would have needed to train to learn how to effectively absorb emotions.  (Just because something comes naturally to someone, it doesnt mean mastering it comes along as well)

In regards to the blood: I actually attempted to do a bit of research on things and as someone pointed out, the fact there is a large claw (and now Dan's wingblades) blocking the path...there isn't as insane a bloodflow yet.  Granted I could be very wrong on the matter because I'll honestly admit I don't know a whole lot of how blood physics works. But I did know enough to avoid overzelous blood fountains.  The way I figure, the blood is an unfortunate bi-product of having to draw a full out slashing fight. It shouldn't be the focus.

Thirdly. I feel I should mention that there is more to using ones energy reserves than simply just casting magic spells. Granted magic is the most flashy and obvious and taxing of the two, but the simple matter in this is that Dan's sort of overclocking his own energy reserves by keeping up the tentacles and the fighting full force.  And well...if Dan's own energy fails him, it's only natural that subconciously he would begin to outsource a secondary energy supply.

*skitters off into the night*
Okay, yeah, that makes sense. So, the headaches he was getting right before and after his headwings came in were more from his telepathy starting to kick in in addition to his empathy? And total agreement on the difference between natural skill and mastery.

So, first thing Dan should worry about is closing that wound right quick. That claw's gonna come out soon, and then he'll be in trouble.

And the energy reserves makes sense. As for out-sourcing his energy, I have but one thing to say: Bum-bum-buuuuum!

Quote from: Draken on March 16, 2009, 12:10:10 PM
Kria: "ENOUGH!  Devin brought lunch."   :mowhappy
"Death feuds can wait. You can't kill each other on an empty stomach!"
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

ishidan

Quote from: jeffh4 on March 16, 2009, 05:36:08 AM
On an unrelated note, I'm hereby claiming the no-prize for furthest away posting.  I'm typing this from the Base Library of Downtown Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. 
Hm.  Somebody get me a map, and where we're counting 'furthest away' from.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: ishidan on March 16, 2009, 01:01:07 PM
On an unrelated note, I'm hereby claiming the no-prize for furthest away posting.  I'm typing this from the Base Library of Downtown Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Of course, being in the UK means i'm not going to win, anyway, and it certainly takes points for being an out-of-the-way place, but still, I'd have thought there are further places...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jack McSlay

Quote from: ishidan on March 16, 2009, 01:01:07 PM
From Amber perhaps? If so, it's hard to decide who lives further away unless we find out which city she lives. Canada is a big place. The shortest distance between me and any location in Canada is 8000km, and the longest is 12500km
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Mao

I'm only guessing, but I think from the weather descriptions she's given she's either in the Toronto Area or the Ottawa area.  Though her weather descriptions aren't much to go on.

Draken

OOH!  This mean we gonna search out where she lives?  Cool!

In any case, I'm in Texas, so Canada is far but not as far for ya'll apparently.

OK, we all know there will be a tussel between DP and Dan, and probably not gonna be stopped any time soon.  Question is, will the magic that's building up in dan ear DP to shreds, or just get DP away from him?  OR will it be a major healing spell?

Also, given that we do not see Regina here at all, and that we saw her rubbing her muzzle earlier, is it possible she already skedaddled without our knowing?

Lasly, where's Fi?  All that screaming and charging and stuff....Given that Dan's involved and he's connected, should he have dropped the platter by now and gotten help/stopped to watch the show?
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Alondro

But I did know enough to avoid overzelous blood fountains.  The way I figure, the blood is an unfortunate bi-product of having to draw a full out slashing fight. It shouldn't be the focus.

Aww, but blood geysers are so much fun!  Even better are blood tsunamis!   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

senrath

Quote from: Draken on March 16, 2009, 01:56:50 PM
OOH!  This mean we gonna search out where she lives?  Cool!
Erm, let's not get into a creepy "stalk the author" conversation.

OK, we all know there will be a tussel between DP and Dan, and probably not gonna be stopped any time soon.  Question is, will the magic that's building up in dan ear DP to shreds, or just get DP away from him?  OR will it be a major healing spell?
From what Amber said earlier in the thread, it's most likely not a spell, but simply him drawing on magical energy to either keep fighting, or to augment his strength.

Also, given that we do not see Regina here at all, and that we saw her rubbing her muzzle earlier, is it possible she already skedaddled without our knowing?
It's possible.

Lasly, where's Fi?  All that screaming and charging and stuff....Given that Dan's involved and he's connected, should he have dropped the platter by now and gotten help/stopped to watch the show?
He might not have even noticed, or he might've noticed and has already headed off to get Abel/help.  Or it could be something else entirely.

Cogidubnus

Blood does not generally flow in fountains, yes, especially if you've still got the offending item in question buried in the wound. Which is why it's not always a good idea to take that knife out of your abdomen or the hatchet out of your leg until you get to the hospital. :B

As far as how blood does fountain, though, I've never had firsthand experience, so I don't know. I do know that arterial wounds are very nasty, very hard to staunch, and much more serious than it's portrayed in movies.
If there is a place where blood might fountain, one might think it'd be a direct wound to the heart - but then, maybe not. For what it's worth, I think the restrained use of the blood so far has added a bit of realism and class to the last few comics. A drop catches the eye easier than a bucket, methinks.

Mao

Quote from: Cogidubnus on March 16, 2009, 02:49:10 PM
I think the restrained use of the blood so far has added a bit of realism and class to the last few comics. A drop catches the eye easier than a bucket, methinks.

Just don't catch the drop with  your eye.  Leave that to the bucket.

Seth

Ooh ooh! I has a theory!

What if DP actually likes Dan? Maybe he's giving hints and tips so that Dan will become more powerful.

Random theory man, away! *Fwish*
If you know what I did... Then kudos to you.

Magic

Unless the thumb managed to punch all the way to the left pulmonary artery. Dan spouting blood from his chest isn't likely. He might bleed a bit, though.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Teroniss

Quote from: Ink on March 16, 2009, 04:40:25 PM
Unless the thumb managed to punch all the way to the left pulmonary artery. Dan spouting blood from his chest isn't likely. He might bleed a bit, though.

Even if DP or Dan managed to slice through an artery (much more likely in Dan's case against DP), you will not see a large amount of outer bleeding present until the object making the cut has been cleared from the wound. Its one of the reasons they tell people who have been stabbed in the heart (or some other particularly vital spot) not to remove the object that stabbed them, as they will bleed out. As of right now, most of the bleeding as it is, would be internal.

Arcblade

Quote from: Seth on March 16, 2009, 04:04:34 PM
Ooh ooh! I has a theory!

What if DP actually likes Dan? Maybe he's giving hints and tips so that Dan will become more powerful.

Random theory man, away! *Fwish*

No offense, but I really, really hope not.  Especially since the whole crush thing would probably be dead after Dan interfered with his plans and killed him the first time. 

Terrion

Okay, so we aren't likely to see "super sayajin" or "multi-tailed demon form" Ti'Fiona from all of the pain being broadcats in the immediate area. Still, it's been implied from the follow-up results of Dan's last battle that he can use such pain to heal fatal injuries.

Granted, that would probably work a lot better if he was both resting and not actively receiving such damage while he's trying to repair it...

Madmann135

It may be late but I can now see where Kira got the idea that Lorenda wanted to assist in the mutual killing.
Quote from: Lorenda
Mom!  They're going to kill each other!  We have to help them!
Quote from: Kira
We do?  But they are killing each other just fine on their own.

Now if Lorenda replaced help with stop then the confusion could have been avoided.  Interesting choice of words to use in this situation, especially while your talking to Kira.

Though one would wonder what Lorenda intended to say... Maybe in the back of her mind she wants to kill both Aliph and Dan.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Seth C Triggs

I must say - I really enjoy the blocking of this fight scene, and I'm quite on the edge of my seat. I really am wondering what is going to happen to Dan.

Honestly I really think he's going to get his butt kicked...but it'll be a great fight. Maybe enough to make DP respect him or something.

-Seth
BIBP Webcomic - bizarre and NSFW - http://www.bibp.com

Lisky

going back to the whole blood fountain/geyser thing... there are 7 areas i know of that will cause that kind of effect, the problem is, is that the spray will last for all of a few seconds before the victim is put into a state of shock...  thus slowed everything, including blood flow... slower blood flow, less pressure, less pressure, no more fountain... another thing about these spots, it has to be done in a way that the flow is directed through a narrow opening... if DP had claws that were like a pin, or a needle, we might see a fountain, as the arteries around the heart do have that kind of pressure... but the claws i'm seeing appear to be more curved, and designed for slashing... chances are it'll be a rather nasty spewing, rather than a hollywood style fountain...

though, given the estimated depth of penetration, we could see some cast off from DP if he retracts fast enough...

anyways... now that i'm sure i've throughly terrified everyone, let me explain that my knowledge of the human body comes from taking classes to become an EMT so i can get a decent job once i head on to med school... part of being an EMT is to assess a situation, and choose the best course of action... getting stabbed, if the weapon is still in the wound, leave it, and if your capable, taping it in place can actually save your life

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Shadowcatcher

I wonder if DP is going to fall on top of Dan, as that arm is not going to be supporting his weight anymore.  Just in time for Fi and Devin to come in and think some very bad Shonen-Ai is going on.   :erk

Tapewolf

Quote from: Seth C Triggs on March 16, 2009, 06:31:27 PM
I must say - I really enjoy the blocking of this fight scene, and I'm quite on the edge of my seat. I really am wondering what is going to happen to Dan.
I'm glad we break on this one.  If Amber had stopped on the previous page, the suspense would have been intolerable  :B

QuoteHonestly I really think he's going to get his butt kicked...but it'll be a great fight. Maybe enough to make DP respect him or something.
I'm not sure it works that way.  I think DP only respects him if his butt gets kicked.  Besides which, Dan getting his butt kicked (while being greatly aggravating for those of us who want to see him in successful adventurer mode) isn't really an option if it's left up to DP.  The only way that can happen IMHO is if someone else intervenes.

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 16, 2009, 06:43:53 PM
I wonder if DP is going to fall on top of Dan, as that arm is not going to be supporting his weight anymore.  Just in time for Fi and Devin to come in and think some very bad Shonen-Ai is going on.   :erk

Bad!  Bad!

Madmann135

Bad Shadowcatcher, bad.  No more San Widler books for you.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Stig Hemmer

Quote from: Seth on March 16, 2009, 04:04:34 PM

I doubt it.  However, I have been thinking that our Black Beauty could be as tired of the resurrection carousel as Kria seems to be.  He could secretly be wanting to lose and hoping that Dan will do a proper job of it this time. (Proper job as in eating, I mean burning the body)
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Madmann135 on March 16, 2009, 07:29:26 PM

Bad Shadowcatcher, bad.  No more San Widler books for you.

I'm a nictusune, gotta fulfill my RDA of evil doing for the day.

inuhanyo

Couple things I figure I should mention:

For those who seem to think Dan keeps getting power-ups from all the pain going around, keep in mind Dan has pretty much always been passively emotional feeding.  While he's likely getting some sort of rush, its more in the sense he's passively absorbing emotions he's affined to rather than say, passively absorbing ones he is not.  Dan's not a sponge, and even if he was he likely would have needed to train to learn how to effectively absorb emotions.  (Just because something comes naturally to someone, it doesnt mean mastering it comes along as well)

In regards to the blood: I actually attempted to do a bit of research on things and as someone pointed out, the fact there is a large claw (and now Dan's wingblades) blocking the path...there isn't as insane a bloodflow yet.  Granted I could be very wrong on the matter because I'll honestly admit I don't know a whole lot of how blood physics works. But I did know enough to avoid overzelous blood fountains.  The way I figure, the blood is an unfortunate bi-product of having to draw a full out slashing fight. It shouldn't be the focus.

Thirdly. I feel I should mention that there is more to using ones energy reserves than simply just casting magic spells. Granted magic is the most flashy and obvious and taxing of the two, but the simple matter in this is that Dan's sort of overclocking his own energy reserves by keeping up the tentacles and the fighting full force.  And well...if Dan's own energy fails him, it's only natural that subconciously he would begin to outsource a secondary energy supply.

*skitters off into the night*

So !KCA was right, in some sense.
Quote from: !KCA on March 15, 2009, 06:21:04 AM
Dan calls upon his deepest reserves for the strength to win this fight.

. . .And Cyra answers.

Dan has been draining his energy reserves, with all the aggressive shapeshifting he's been doing.  The energy he's been getting from the emotional context hasn't been enough to match his output, so it just slows down the drain rate.  Here is where one of the advantages to being part of a powerful clan with a living founder comes in, he has an external reserves to tap.  And it makes sense that this could manifest his clan mark.

Devin and Fi are upstairs, far enough away from the fight that Dan's screaming and attacking the door were misinterpreted as a malfunctioning dryer.  Aliph's scream of pain might come through a little clearer.  But they've got to go down a circular staircase and then down a long corridor to get to the fight.  And the fight is happening fast.  Even if they rush, it could be three for four strips before they arrive.  Odds are by the time they do arrive, the fight will be settled, unless some dialogue starts between Dan and Aliph.

And remember, Aliph has just been resurrected, blown open a door, make his "audacity" speech, and then gets attacked by Dan.  He hasn't had a chance to start any plans, and Dan knows what his plan is, it's the same plan DP has been trying the last two times Dan stopped him.  Commenting on Dan's overly emotional attack, and his new Cubi characteristics, is the only subject handy.

Teroniss

Quote from: Basilisk2150 on March 16, 2009, 06:32:20 PM
anyways... now that i'm sure i've throughly terrified everyone, let me explain that my knowledge of the human body comes from taking classes to become an EMT so i can get a decent job once i head on to med school... part of being an EMT is to assess a situation, and choose the best course of action... getting stabbed, if the weapon is still in the wound, leave it, and if your capable, taping it in place can actually save your life

I believe I just said this  :< Stop stealing my thundahs >.< *stabbities*

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 16, 2009, 08:21:36 PM
Devin and Fi are upstairs, far enough away from the fight that Dan's screaming and attacking the door were misinterpreted as a malfunctioning dryer.  Aliph's scream of pain might come through a little clearer.

What is likely to have happened while Kria and Lorenda have been watching Dan trying to break open the invincible door and so on is that Devin will be attempting to deliver the refreshments to an empty room.  The room does however contain ripped clothes on the floor which Fi may recognise, and bits of glass and blood in the doorway.  Of course, they won't know where to go, but it's liable to make them a bit more alert for unusual things like screams of sheer agony.

As you say it might take them a while to get there, though Kria and Lorenda seem to have walked sedately downstairs while Dan was chasing Regina and still got there in time to witness the fight.

Sunblink

No, you're right. The time a knife wound bleeds the most is when the knife is actually removed.

I LEARNED THIS FROM PHOENIX WRIGHT! :3

Turnsky

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 16, 2009, 08:56:27 PM

No, you're right. The time a knife wound bleeds the most is when the knife is actually removed.

I LEARNED THIS FROM PHOENIX WRIGHT! :3

"APPROVAL!"  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..