03/09/09 [DMFA #979] - More of a social faux pas

Started by Jairus, March 09, 2009, 12:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

Quote from: FreeFull on March 10, 2009, 02:02:25 PM
Unfortunately for Dan, this time DP has the advantage of magic... I wonder how this will turn out.

DP didn't have magic before?  I'm pretty sure we've seen him Zert Hannah.. which I'm pretty sure was magic...

FreeFull

DP had magic, Dan had clothing that protected him from magic.

Lisky

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Jairus

Quote from: FreeFull on March 10, 2009, 02:11:54 PM
Ahh... okay, that makes more sense. But, we'll have to see how this goes. It might not turn into a fight. I kinda like the idea of DP becoming a sort of ally of convenience for Dan at some point, a sort of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" circumstance. Though really, I'm patient to see where Amber takes this.

Quote from: Basilisk2150 on March 10, 2009, 02:13:34 PM
... maybe DP can fwoosh now?
So, DP revived as a soul that can possess others and still use his powers, and he's gonna possess Regina and use her body to fight Dan? Two of Dan's most hated enemies in the same target? Bye-bye, Dark P.

Actually, that sounds interesting... a soul that can possess others, but can only use that person's special powers and not their own. I think it's been done, though.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Lisky

jay... wouldn't that make it Dark Regina... or Regina Pegasus? DR, or RP... which do want now?

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Mao

Protected, but didn't make him immune to it and any of it's effects on the environment.  I'd like to think that DP is smart enough to realize that direct applications of magic didn't work on Dan and so that an indirect approach is more required.  While an attempt to blast Dan with magical energy might fail.. a section dropped from the ceiling by magic will still crush Dan.

Jairus

Quote from: Basilisk2150 on March 10, 2009, 02:18:51 PM
jay... wouldn't that make it Dark Regina... or Regina Pegasus? DR, or RP... which do want now?
Not sure. I'd call the resultant fusion Dark Pegina, because I'm weird that way. Besides, Devin's already taken DR.

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 10, 2009, 02:21:39 PM

Protected, but didn't make him immune to it and any of it's effects on the environment.  I'd like to think that DP is smart enough to realize that direct applications of magic didn't work on Dan and so that an indirect approach is more required.  While an attempt to blast Dan with magical energy might fail.. a section dropped from the ceiling by magic will still crush Dan.
Oh, quite. And the advantage of tactics like that is that they'd be even more effective against Dan without his robe. Of course, Dan's probably learned tactics to combat magic and magic users. It makes more sense than him not even bothering to learn about it. Just because he doesn't do magic himself doesn't mean he hasn't studied it or anything like that. Dan's probably got a good working knowledge of it, and how to fight against it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on March 10, 2009, 02:24:00 PM
Of course, Dan's probably learned tactics to combat magic and magic users. It makes more sense than him not even bothering to learn about it. Just because he doesn't do magic himself doesn't mean he hasn't studied it or anything like that. Dan's probably got a good working knowledge of it, and how to fight against it.

See also strip 490.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 10, 2009, 02:26:10 PM
Quote from: Jairus on March 10, 2009, 02:24:00 PM
Of course, Dan's probably learned tactics to combat magic and magic users. It makes more sense than him not even bothering to learn about it. Just because he doesn't do magic himself doesn't mean he hasn't studied it or anything like that. Dan's probably got a good working knowledge of it, and how to fight against it.

See also strip 490.
Aha, I had a feeling I wasn't making that up off the cuff. Thanks for finding that, Tape. And smart thinking, Dan. Pity she's a bit out of your regular league of "bad guys." I'm just saying bad guys in the sense of entities he's fought, not that I think Fa'Lina is a bad guy.

FreeFull

Good point Jairus. Which still doest't mean the magic can't help DP. Also, if DP is smart enough to use magic indirectly to attack, why didn't he do so last time? Wouln't Kria stop him from damaging the place?
Also, remember, this is the guy that forgot to take free will away from the undead.

Jairus

Quote from: FreeFull on March 10, 2009, 02:36:02 PM
Good point Jairus. Which still doest't mean the magic can't help DP. Also, if DP is smart enough to use magic indirectly to attack, why didn't he do so last time? Wouln't Kria stop him from damaging the place?
Also, remember, this is the guy that forgot to take free will away from the undead.
I dunno... I think the implication is that it was an accident on Aliph's part...

QuoteThe Undead race is the most well-known case of species creation when a powerful Demon decided to use a spell to cause the very dead of the planet to rise and form into an unstoppable army. However he made a major oversight in that while the dead did rise up, they still retained all memories and personalities of their former lives thus many had no real desire to become a grunt in an army against their living friends

It kinda sorta sounds like Aliph wasn't expecting them to retain their memories. After all, Devin didn't retain his memories or free will when Aliph created him, which was most likely a side-effect of him being a prototype for the Race. DP might not have expected that the finished version of the spell/magic ritual/whatever it was would have allowed the Undead to retain their memories or personalities, given that the earlier versions are implied not to have.

GabrielsThoughts

I don't know. If DP had or gains the power to posses, or take over another body...wouldn't his most annoying enemies in close proximity be the first one he'd assimilate or take possession of?

Dan being the closest candidate "for most annoying and closest candidate" ... and  with regina looking like an undead

Daneliph *SMITES REGINA*.... mmm BBQ jerkey
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Slacker Spice

There's also the possibility that it's an extra spell cast in the door so that no one can go in, even if they manage to get them open, unless they know the counterspell (i.e. people who need to be in there for the resurrection).

However, it doesn't explain how Regina got in - maybe in case they need her to bring something?

"Oh, listen to Mary Poppins. He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You English men are always so... bloody hell! [counting them on his fingers.] Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks. Oh god... I'm English."
"Welcome to the nancy tribe."
Spike and Giles; "Tabula Rasa"; Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Aw, great, you blew up the 'wah-wah' machine!"
"PORCUPINES ARE GOD!" - Nostalgia

Draken

In the continuation of the "Fusion" idea, I am picturing this to happen.....

(Well, I meant for the Regina/DP thoughts....)
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Lisky

Shadowcatcher

I wonder if Dan's banishing ritual from #164 is going to muck things up any.

Drase

Well Regina does live there, she probably new about the room
As DP is Regina's second uncle, she might have been able to pull off the spell to bring him back... And as she does at least Look undead, He might have blasted her, related or not.

Terrion

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 10, 2009, 09:04:26 PM
I wonder if Dan's banishing ritual from #164 is going to muck things up any.

If it does, DP is going to be very irritated. It wasn't much of a banishing ritual...

And he wouldn't be able to get any cookies!  >:3

inuhanyo

Dan vs Regina is personal.  Regina made it so.

Dan vs Dark Pegasus is professional.  It's been observed that DP, because he knows Dan believes in fighting fair, will honor the "classic ways".  I can see them calmly discussing where to hold their next death match, and whether either of them needs a weapon.  And then walking to the venue of their duel, and trying their best to kill one another.

It's safe to say that neither of them likes the other, but they are worthy adversaries.  There is a degree of respect there.

Heh, if they get into a discussion of how Dan got to be there, I can see DP saying something like: "If you win this, make sure Biggs doesn't shortchange you.  A small reward for stopping me would be an insult."

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 09, 2009, 03:00:50 PM
Quote from: Prroul on March 09, 2009, 02:48:34 PM
Yanno, one thing I've liked about this mini-series? Dan finally, for the first time in a VERY long time, gets a chance to show off the fact that he *is* a Bad Ass (tm).

Agreed.  He's been pushed around, mocked and generally abused a lot lately, and it's good to see him actually staying on top, more-or-less.

QuoteSo we, possibly, have DP reborn (again), still weaker than previous incarnations, and still likely woozy/weak from the resurrection. I'm thinking that DP is likely not going to be living very long this time around...

Dan himself is liable to be woozy/weak from being smashed by that spell.  However, there is an interesting point which just occurred to me... DP probably thinks Dan is dead.

If we look back at strip 157 we see, essentially, mutual assured destruction.  In other words, they exchanged lethal blows.  DP would probably not have been immediately killed, but is liable to have died about the same time as Dan did.  Unless being dead gives him the ability to perceive the mortal realm, he probably died thinking that he'd taken Dan with him.  If he really has returned, this could be a big day of surprises for him.
And Regina hasn't referred to Dan by name even in her thoughts, so whatever briefing she might give DP, he probably still won't be expecting Daniel Ti'Fiona on the other side of the door.

Lowde

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 10, 2009, 11:01:52 PMAnd Regina hasn't referred to Dan by name even in her thoughts, so whatever briefing she might give DP, he probably still won't be expecting Daniel Ti'Fiona on the other side of the door.

DP: You're the adventurer Regina told me about!?  Dam' it, of all the adventurers there's in this world it had to be the one that has slain me 3 times already!

!KCA

Know what? I'm not so sure Regina could have taken Dan without his 'cubi powers. In #973, Regina starts out basically giving herself a pep talk so she can face someone she merely suspects is an adventurer. The implication, I think, is that she would be hopelessly outmatched in a fight with a typical adventurer. (Yeah, that's probably obvious.)

So, if Regina tries to fight with DP, her contribution to the fight may be limited to getting clobbered and providing a source of pain for Dan. If DP realizes this, he might just kill her. After all, he can bring her back, right? How would Dan react to seeing DP kill Regina? For tactical advantage?

Michael Chandra

I'd picture it more like this:

Dan: Oh drat, DP, you're back... Uhm, next wednesday fine for you?
DP: Oh, of course, Daniel.
Dan: Good. Now could you step aside so I can kill your cousin?
DP: By all means.

Turnsky

"not now Daniel, i just woke up and i have a headache"

>:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

JayEnfield

I've learned, in situations like this one, that we'll never actually guess what's really going to happen. I've tried, oh good lord how I've tried, but proficient storytellers always manage to surprise you without fail. So I'm going to go with the Vegas money on this one and place my chips on "None of the above".

... Incidentally, though, I believe the implication thus far is that DP is still dead (can't pay to stop the ceremony if it's already done), so Reggie has locked herself into a room with a corpse, or a room with a corpse and a whole pile of relatives ready to watch the corpse de-corpse-ify.

kaskar

8) I thought that Fi was sent by Abel to report back if Dan was doing anything stupid. Wait till Fi finds out that the banging was of Dan's doing, and not the washing machine... (Also, what about Dan getting his power from draining the one who fears. That's what the little wings were for , were they not ? )
8) Just Hanging Around ...

AmigaDragon

I don't think that's the headwings' function, they're more an indicator of 'cubi adulthood.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 11, 2009, 11:58:06 AM
I don't think that's the headwings' function, they're more an indicator of 'cubi adulthood.
Yeah, when Fa'Lina and Aniz had their little smackdown, Fa'Lina threatened to remove all four of Aniz' wings.  The chestnut about 'Are headwings necessary?' came up again and Amber basically said "No they're not, why does everyone think so?"

I'll find the original post later...

EDIT:

Over a year ago.  Doesn't time fly?

http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,4234.msg179910.html#msg179910

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 11, 2009, 12:01:04 PM
Yeah, when Fa'Lina and Aniz had their little smackdown, Fa'Lina threatened to remove all four of Aniz' wings.  The chestnut about 'Are headwings necessary?' came up again and Amber basically said "No they're not, why does everyone think so?"

I just had a vision of a Cubi's headwings being like old TV antennas, and of them flexing their wings and twitching them in different directions to try and get the best signal for emotional pickup. And because of that, I am so glad that they're not needed.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 11, 2009, 12:01:04 PM

EDIT:

Over a year ago.  Doesn't time fly?

http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,4234.msg179910.html#msg179910

Actually, other than that one comic waaaaaaaay back, about the guy flying into the plane, it seems like Furries either can't or don't fly. So aside from blood loss and possibly shock, ripping off the larger backwings probably wouldn't cripple or kill a 'Cubi (or Angel or Demon or whatever) either......
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

AmigaDragon

Back to this strip... between Kria's closed eyes in panel 3 and "so much for getting paid" in panel 4, I think she didn't notice the blue-feathered projectile shooting past her, and might think he got vaporized in the blast. She doesn't strike me as being the most observant creature at times.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen