[Art Exchange] Covert Courtesy Commutation ~ 6/8 gifts are up.

Started by Gabi, February 17, 2009, 08:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisky

That's... soo full of win, Merlin...

Sorry i didn't post earlier, just got back from a grand adventure in canada  :B

Thanks for that, Ed doesn't get nearly enough love IMO... i need to draw him more ^_^ so thanks again!

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

e_voyager

every time  i do this i realize how poor my art rendering skills are compared to others.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Gabi

E, this isn't a competition, it's about doing something nice for someone else. You made 2 gifts! Don't put so much pressure on yourself, no one's competing against you and no one's expecting you to be the best artist in the world. Is there even a world's best artist? Probably not, since everyone has strong and weak points. This art exchange is meant to be enjoyed by the participants. If you're suffering instead of enjoying it, then you're missing the point.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

e_voyager

I don't mean to make it sound like i think this is a competition but i feel that if my contribution isn't up the the same level as the others who take part in this then the person that i'm gifting winds up getting the short end of the stick so to speak.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Gabi

I really don't think so, but I'm sorry you feel that way.

Jairus

Quote from: e_voyager on May 08, 2011, 11:20:33 PM
I don't mean to make it sound like i think this is a competition but i feel that if my contribution isn't up the the same level as the others who take part in this then the person that i'm gifting winds up getting the short end of the stick so to speak.
Speaking as the person who got your contribution this round, I think you're a bit too worried about it. It may be trite to say that it's the thought that counts, but it really is. This thing is about giving a gift, not about impressing one another.

If you'd like, I could give you some pointers for drawing and stuff like that. I'm just learning, but I know a few tricks that might help you out.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Merlin

Quote from: e_voyager on May 08, 2011, 11:20:33 PM

Um... I guess I can only speak for myself, but I don't think anybody who is participating in this is doing it for the sole purpose of receiving a mythical 'perfect' gift. Mythical because... well, it's so subjective ya know, it's not about whether something's better than something else. At all. I know that I'm drawing because I love to do art for others, and because I love to see what other people do with my ideas, whichever way it goes. Honestly I don't think you have anything to worry about, this thread is a learning experience for everybody involved.
And at the risk of sounding trite? It's the thought that counts.

I hope you do more rounds, because I'd love to see more of your work :3

e_voyager

Quote from: Jairus on May 09, 2011, 05:41:30 PM
-Snip-
If you'd like, I could give you some pointers for drawing and stuff like that. I'm just learning, but I know a few tricks that might help you out.

Sure that sounds great.

Quote from: Merlin on May 09, 2011, 07:38:47 PM

Um... I guess I can only speak for myself, but I don't think anybody who is participating in this is doing it for the sole purpose of receiving a mythical 'perfect' gift. Mythical because... well, it's so subjective ya know, it's not about whether something's better than something else. At all. I know that I'm drawing because I love to do art for others, and because I love to see what other people do with my ideas, whichever way it goes. Honestly I don't think you have anything to worry about, this thread is a learning experience for everybody involved.
And at the risk of sounding trite? It's the thought that counts.

I hope you do more rounds, because I'd love to see more of your work :3

i'll try and sadly enough during the secret Santa one i did see that mythic near perfect gift and it brought tears to my eyes how wonderful it was and how poor the gift i'd submitted was by comparison but this isn't as harsh as that one was and i'm sure i'll be back i debuted in round three is i remember correctly in fact i'll come back next round

---

Gabi i just saw your reply from some reason i didn't see before when i click on page 28 the first time but i think you're right. i do worry a bit much over how my gifts will be received under normal  circumstances i would say something like " aw well no use worrying about it. i'll just get better so that i'm more secure in my art. " but i'm not sure how much improvement it would take before i can truly be secure with my work. i'm always nervous until i see how the piece is received. weather it's here , invisible friend, on  DA or FA if i make something for some one i want them to be  happy with it. that's why it is important  to portray a persons character right to me. chuckles you know the reason i join these events is because i like doing things for people.

Gabi

The thing is... being secure with your art is not a matter of improvement, it's a matter of attitude. There will always be things you can do better, and you can keep on improving for as long as you live. I know I'm quite insecure about my writings (my graphic art not so much because while it's not all that good, I don't expect much from it). And sometimes I do see other people's work and wish I could write, draw or sing like that. (Or act, or play music, or... so many thigs!) But wishing for improvement is one thing and beating yourself up for not reaching some self-imposed standards is another thing entirely. The former, if channeled correctly, encourages practice and improvement. The latter only leads to suffering.

I think we both know an artist whose art is amazing, and yet she's always worrying that it's not as good as others she has seen, or that other people got there faster. How do you feel when you see her say those things? I've seen other cases like that, and improving their skills dones't make them feel any more secure about their work. So while I believe that trying to get better at what you do is a good thing, beating yourself up over not having achieved the result you wished for is definitely not.

Every piece of art has worth as long as you put some effort into it, and each one of them helps you learn something. And if you thought of the person you were making it for, then that alone gives it great value. I'd much rather receive a funny stick figure comic than a very detailed drawing or well-written story which depicted a character of mine being completely out of character.

Also, keep in mind that when looking at work whose quality is similar to their own, most people perceive what is made by others as better. There have been many times when two artists have been jealous of each other's skills. So don't judge yourself by your own impression of your artwork. Keep practising, but do it just to improve your own skills (or better yet, to enjoy producing art), not to match other people's skills.

And don't you dare do this again! And by this I mean do more than was required and then complain that you feel you haven't done enough. :hug

e_voyager

Okay okay i get it or at least i think i get it. i'll try to reign in my own worries over how my art quality is received but i won't stop trying to improve. i may never be the best but i want to be better.

Lisky

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Inumo

Corgatha Taldorthar

Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Gabi

OK, people can start signing up for Round 16. The Wall of Shame has been updated with the 3 people who haven't submitted their gifts for round 15. :(

VAE

I guess i'll try for this round.. 16 is a nice round number.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Lisky

Jairus

Merlin

Gabi

Cool! So we have: Inumo, Corg, Basilisk, VAE, Jairus, Merlin. I'll see if anyone else signs up today and begin the new round tomorrow. :)

JaxiD

Because I am feeling that I need to make an effort to do something nice that gets me involved and... yes... I shall sign up for this too.

TheDXM

Yus! I love drawing for people, so I would enjoy this~

Please, may I partake?
Ͼ ♂ Ͽ

e_voyager

do count me in as well. but first i hibernate see you in 12 hours

Gabi

OK, we have Inumo, Corgatha Taldorthar, Basilisk, VAE, Jairus, Merlin, JaxiD, TheDXM, e_voyager.

*Rolls new randomizer.* (Same as the old one, but on a new server).

And... everyone's been matched! You all have until Sunday, 12th of June to complete your gifts. Have fun!

Gabi

And the first message with questions is here! And the ones that followed.
Quote from: Basilisk's gifterDo you have any media preferences? Drawing, writing, poetry? Oh, and what characters would you be interested in seeing at the center of a piece of art?

E's gifter wants to know what he'd like this round.

VAE's gifter would like to know what sort of character or setting he wants to see for his gift.

JaxiD's gifter would just like to know what he'd like drawn.

Jairus's gifter wants to know who/what he'd like drawn for his gift.

I'm starting to see a pattern here. >_>

And last but not least:

Quote from: TheDXM's gifterWelcome to the game! Do you have any particular characters, themes, genres, art styles, or the like you want in your gift? Would you prefer a visual or written gift? Any preference of media? I'm sure I could scan in a hand-written piece if you want it that way.

e_voyager

well i'm not very picky i like to see where the creativity muse takes you.  if you need some ideals i can put up a few links to some of my characters information if you like there are a few of them here in this thread as well.

VAE

Hmm.

Of course, the first option comes probably the best known - my fursona, Vladim - an eurasian lynx evil overlord attemptee. Best image up to date is here: http://vaeisenberg.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2xhuti
Things of note .. he has four hydraulic-operated tentacles mounted on his back (he *really* wants to become a cubi, and this is one of temporary measures)  and if any jokes stem from this, the eye colour (red, glowing) is completely self-inflicted - he thought it'd look awesome (well, it was shortly after finishing training :3)

Now, if none of that fits, there's a host of DnD characters.

If you prefer drawing people, there's Miron Steelsprocket, a gnomish inquisitor from Liatai's Akellon campaign.
A somewhat accurate picture is found here - http://vaeisenberg.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3bv6it though the theme of it is a joke - he doesn't really play a guitar (though the rest is accurate)
He generally carries around a huge book from which he casts spells or searches in for bits of lore (he's archivist class)  He belongs  to the Leaden Mace Society - a group of vigilantes enforcing the law by helicopter (you know the demotivator i refer to).

Alternatively, Sandor Munkas from a D20 Modern game - a Snakeblooded human technomage whose mother was a yuan-ti and father a hungarian emigrant. He looks as following - http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~dm510/sandor.jpg
Pictured with Arpad, his pet snake. Not many details available as the game hasn't yet started.

If you prefer furries, there are two female NPCs drawings for reference actually exist of for the DnDMFA world of Kebre (basically, the Furraean analogue of Russia cca. 1900-1920, though with other eastern european tidbits mixed in)
First one is Zora Kalugina (well, the name she uses now , ofc)  a feline being female.
http://vaeisenberg.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3ftiv4 Here she is shown in a night dress and slippers, holding a badge after being disturbed from sleep by a gunshot (the PC's came).  Her hair is blonde and fur a dirty yellow colour.  Her class is wizard, strong stats being intelligence and charisma, dump stats strength and wisdom.

Second one is Kallis Ja'krath , female feline cubi  (appearance based on siamese cat)
A pencil sketch of her i have done a few days ago is here http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~dm510/kallis.jpg
Her fur is most of the time a steely blue colour with varying hue. Her clan mark is on her lower back and looks like this  http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101127174031/dndmfa/images/6/6e/Clanmark.jpg
Her favourite emotional noms are drive/ambition (this is proper to Ja'krath clan as a whole) , anger and wonder.  As for personality... she has founded an entire city (unsurprisingly named Kallisburg) to demonstrate to the council of port Oriss (the country's capital) that hydroelectric power is a neat idea... then after about 50 years got bored of ruling it, and retreated somewhere within the mountains up north. Explosions sometimes are heard from up there, generally followed by a SORRY,MESSUP! or similar text appearing on the sky written in rainbow-coloured smoke.

Heh, i hope it is enough of choice for whoever will be doing mine.

What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

TheDXM

Why yes, I would love a little poem!

Maybe something about a boy who likes a girl who likes a boy~ Or something to that effect!
Ͼ ♂ Ͽ

Gabi

Quote from: Corgatha's gifterHmm, I question my gifter on what character would he like drawn - possible description and references very welcome.

VAE's gifter would like to know more about Vladim's personality, abilities, mode of dress, and what sorts of activities he performs on a regular basis.

Quote from: TheDXM's gifterHow would you like those relationships to be related? Boy likes Girl likes Other Boy? Boy likes Girl likes Boy? Boy likes Girl likes Other Boy that's related to Boy in some way or another (aka a love triangle)?

Quote from: Merlin's gifterTo Merlin;
I have the distinct pleasure of being your gifter. To with I request information to fit my gift to you better.  Do you have a specific character that you want your gift to be about?
Please describe your character include; name , temperament, personality, quirks and special abilities if applicable.  While we are at it please consider and answer the following as best you can.
What kind of world does your character live in?
What is the role they play in this world?
Do they have anyone close to them that they worry about or would like likely check in on during the course of a normal day?
What is the age rang of your character?
And would you like a story or a poem of some sort?

Read this once the round is over: [spoiler]there's an accidental truth in this post.[/spoiler]

Jairus

Well, I can't remember if I've done this before, but I've been doing a bit of work on my book, and I'm kind of curious to see how other people see him.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4341334/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4710271/

Long story short, teenaged scientist/sorcerer adventurer in a world of magic and mad science. If you want more details, I can easily provide them, but I believe in people having FUN with art, so go crazy!