Shattered Innocence (OOC Thread) [M] )Closed(

Started by Noone, February 03, 2009, 02:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostwish

Hey folks!

My net connection is going to be interrupted for a couple of days, but I hope to have it back up ASAP.

See when you all when I get back. ^_^

Noone

Quote from: Redeyessoul on March 08, 2009, 04:34:59 PM
You know ... I was thinking earlier ... Fae aren't allowed because of godmoding ... it's what they do most of the time.  But then I was reading back over the races page of DMFA main page stuff and remembered that the Fae have rules they live by while interacting with different planes of existence.  So if enough rules were laid on one a Fae could potentially play and not muck up the situation.  However if your basic game play wouldn't make sense with the Undead there is a good chance that it won't be too grand to have them around for a reason other than GodModing.
Actually, the reason I didn't allow Fae (and undead) doesn't have to do with Godmodding at all. Unfortunately, I won't be able to elaborate on the reason, it's plot critical.

Tipod

"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Noone

Hmm, probably not, I didn't make any Hotel Californias in there. Plus, you need to be a farmer to get a shotgun. :P

Lisky

i dunno, i think garis would be alright, he could just spin like a giant lawn mower with his bladed tentacles at neck level...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Redeyessoul

dude .... I haven't actually seen that movie but heard the reference so often that it's still hilarious.

Zambies ... oh yeah!

We'll be here when you get back Ghosty

Lisky

i just realized a little while back that garis missed out on a totally awesome line he could have pulled "interrogations are hard"

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Azlan

Quote from: The1Kobra on March 09, 2009, 09:07:31 AM
Hmm, probably not, I didn't make any Hotel Californias in there. Plus, you need to be a farmer to get a shotgun. :P

That would be vampires technically.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Azlan on March 09, 2009, 07:21:30 PM
Quote from: The1Kobra on March 09, 2009, 09:07:31 AM

That would be vampires technically.

I take it you've never seen "Night of the Living Dead"? :P

In personal news, I wanted to apologize for being away from my comp unannounced for the past few days. That problem has been remedied. I'll put together a post in a bit.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Azlan

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 10, 2009, 11:54:34 AM

I take it you've never seen "Night of the Living Dead"? :P

Well yes, but Hotel California was not written about zombies... everyone is far too sinister and loquacious to be shambling undead, plus the song speaks with more elegance which would elude more to vampires.  It just feels like the wrong mix of tropes for zombies.

Redeyessoul

Wow .. i thought the song referred more to Hell.  Shows what I know ... I used to sing that song at least once a day everyday for a year  :mowninja

And just for the record ... night of the living Dead .... I think that's the one I saw .. was gruesome for what it was

like dude ... I don't need five minutes of some chick's intestines coming out of her mouth ... it was pretty wicked

Wibbies Corgatha

And dude ... I vote that you edit the post to add it in basilisk

Corgatha Taldorthar

*sighs* How did this turn into a discussion about Hotel California?

At least according to the Eagles, Hotel California isn't about anything, or at the very most, the seductive aspects of the easy drugs and free sexual favors in the conntemporary stereotypical Californian culture.

As for tying it to zombies, it references an old starcraft map that I used to play with Kobra..... One of these "zombies attack the hotel and you have to get out" type map.  Anyway, one time he spliced in the Hotel california music to it, and now, at least to me, the two are connected......
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Ghostwish

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 10, 2009, 10:10:47 PM
*sighs* How did this turn into a discussion about Hotel California?

At least according to the Eagles, Hotel California isn't about anything, or at the very most, the seductive aspects of the easy drugs and free sexual favors in the conntemporary stereotypical Californian culture.

As for tying it to zombies, it references an old starcraft map that I used to play with Kobra..... One of these "zombies attack the hotel and you have to get out" type map.  Anyway, one time he spliced in the Hotel california music to it, and now, at least to me, the two are connected......

Honestly I think it's just a random aspect of the DMFA forums really. :D

And zomg, you guys used to toy with modded maps on starcraft too? Hehehe, man, if I could get my brood war CD working, I'd invite yall to play. :D

Oh, yah, and I'm back. :D

Noone

Well, one of the problems I found is that having the sound files ingrained into the map often caused it to slow down, so oftentimes I would play the normal version. I think I had a lot more fun making (and playing) 'Protect the Farmer...'. Oh, and I don't think I have the CD anymore :/.

RPwise, I just don't think a part where you spend a lot of time fighting hordes and hordes of zombies would add very much to the RP. It doesn't really fit in. I suppose there is some blend in the survival theme but really, I think survival against an intelligent adversary is more entertaining than survival against shambling hordes of undead. Though I suppose the feeling of isolation and vulnerability keeps throughout.

Tipod

I suppose the total opposite of that would be like having a Fae as an opponent, which would be futile and frustrating from the start rather than gradually becoming more dry and plodding.

Noone

(grins widely) aheheheh... (cough)

Though I'll admit, a Fae villain would be difficult to manage, partly because there is likely much that I do not understood about them.  I get the impression they're supposed to be at least semi-omnipotent, meaning they could only be defeated if they wanted to be defeated. Plus, I would have to fit them in somewhere, I suppose it's plausible they could disguise themselves until they wanted, but... having a Fae villain would have... complications. I really don't think being randomly homicidal is a Fae 'shtick'.

Tipod

To put in nerdier terms, they're like Q from Star Trek, only less omnipitent and more mystical/eccentric.

Arguably, I'd say you could make a good Fae villain as a kind of mastermind, but there'd be no practical way to combat them; you'd have to either run away, get another Fae to help you, bluff your way out of the situation, or hope he/she could listen to reason.
Then again, this is just me with my own limited understanding as well :U

Azlan

A Fae should not be used under any circumstances, either as a player or as a villain.  To do so without having a full understanding of what they are would be irresponsible and completely lacking in the sanity department.  I would loose much respect for anyone who tried something like this.

I know enough about Fae to use them as a gamemaster, and as a player... but very close work and planning with the gamemaster is required to be able to do it successfully.  The only exception is Azlan because he is special, very special.

Quote from: Tipod on March 13, 2009, 02:28:29 PM
To put in nerdier terms, they're like Q from Star Trek, only less omnipitent and more mystical/eccentric.

Bwaahahhaaa.

Quote from: Tipod on March 13, 2009, 02:28:29 PM
Arguably, I'd say you could make a good Fae villain as a kind of mastermind, but there'd be no practical way to combat them; you'd have to either run away, get another Fae to help you, bluff your way out of the situation, or hope he/she could listen to reason.
Then again, this is just me with my own limited understanding as well :U

In some ways yes, they can be very good villains, but its best done in the epic sense.  The wrath of the fae has lead to the extinction of whole races over a slight.

Ghostwish

Quote from: Azlan on March 13, 2009, 02:54:50 PM
is Azlan because he is special, very special.

And the understatement award of the year goes toooo.... AZLAN!!!  :mowhappy

Tipod

Just as a heads-up, I might not be able to post very frequently or at all for the next week when I head out on break.

Edit: Nevermind, internet access isn't a problem.

Noone

Erm, just one thing before I continue onto the next scene(s), is Garis going with Eilan and the away team? The next major post of mine will skip to about an hour (game-time) of my previous post. I'm pretty sure Kedered and Zanfib are going with Eilan, Rafa is running away (don't worry I actually had prepared for scenarios like this...), Kshar and Tyrian are staying. I'm not sure about Garis though, I'd like definite clarification before I continue.

And don't worry, I'll be sure to have something interesting happen on all fronts.

Lisky

the whole situation with Garis is dependent on Zanfib, if he goes, Garis stays, if Zanfib stays, Garis goes... So, whoever wants to go can go...

Corgatha Taldorthar

Lisky

actually, on 2nd thought, since zanfib is unable to change forms, it might be better if garis goes... being able to change his appearance at will could prove a more valuable trait... lemme go put up a post of garis getting into disguise, and then you can post from there kobra...

Noone

Of course, there isn't a bounty up for Zanfib... so he wouldn't really need to shapeshift. He also told me (via AIM), that he wanted to be on the away team. Anyways, I'll leave my posts room for last minute decisions (I hope), next post of mine is going to be pretty long... I'll have it up shortly, (I hope)

Ghostwish

Sorry all, getting discharged from the marine corps takes a chunk of one's time. Lemme rustle up a post for you all.

Redeyessoul

:mowcookie Damn I want a cookie irl  :mowcookie  Alrighty ... turns out I'm gonna be moving here in about ... three days ... I don't have any internet at the new location yet, it's a bit out of the way.  I'll try to stay on top of it and there won't be a great period without internet because my husband uses the internet to promote our music (and churn out CD's and the like).  But just in case ...

Tipod

Sorry about the inactivity; calculus midterm was today and I've been spending the last few days preparing/fretting over it. Now that it's over, I'll try and get a post in sometime after lunch.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Ghostwish

*wince* Calculus, I am not looking forward to that. Why oh why do they think computer majors need calculus?

Good luck to you!