Furrae Chronicles: Webs of Destiny (OOC) [M] {2} - Closed

Started by Gareeku, July 12, 2006, 01:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

I don't think most creatures can create metals so easily.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Gareeku

My thoughts exactly. Otherwise every creature family would be rich, I would have thought. Then again, i could be wrong, i don't know.

Hilary

Well, they would have been rich at first, but with so much being made the metals would have lost their value quickly...

RJ

If I remember right, it's easier to make something like a lump of gold than it is something crafted like a necklace. Still, I have no idea by how "easy" that is.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on January 07, 2007, 08:41:45 PM
My thoughts exactly. Otherwise every creature family would be rich, I would have thought. Then again, i could be wrong, i don't know.

Gold is easy, ask Abel:  http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_652.php

According to Amber, it's complex work like woven cloth or VLSI semiconductors which are easier to make by mundane means.
The big question is what are these bandits looking for?  Gold is still useful and pretty even if it's not used as the basis of currency (which it wouldn't be if Creatures can create it on demand).

**EDIT**
Jakob has now, um, befuddled three of their opponents.  If anyone thinks that's too many, I can reduce the count if need be.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gareeku

To be honest i think that's too many. Maybe 2 would be a more fitting number i think.

Gold may be useful, yes, but i still stand by the view that if loads of people with the ability to create it went around a did so, then it would lose its value. There's a reasong why gold is so valuable - It's because it's so rare.

Not to sound like a picky git, but I'd also prefer it if people attempted techniques rather than just assuming it had the desired effect. For example:

"Jay sent three into a daze." - (yes i know this isn't a direct quote) this is just assuming that the technique has worked, without giving those other people a chance to try and defend themselves. Yes i know i'm controlling them, but its still relevant. I will also be sticking by this. I'm not going to go around a go "he dodged it". Characters will get hit and hurt, Gareeku included. I'm not to be all "he dodged and mowed down loads of people"

Put simply, i regard it as autohitting.

"Jay attempted to influence those who did not have mind shields into a daze" - i think this sounds better (yes i know i haven't quoted what Jakob said). As i said, it gives those on the receiving end a chance to try and defend themselves.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on January 08, 2007, 08:27:26 AM
To be honest i think that's too many. Maybe 2 would be a more fitting number i think.
Done.

QuoteGold may be useful, yes, but i still stand by the view that if loads of people with the ability to create it went around a did so, then it would lose its value. There's a reason why gold is so valuable - It's because it's so rare.
Quite.  Of course if they're Beings they won't be able to create it themselves so it was worth a try.

**EDIT**

Quote from: Gareeku on January 08, 2007, 08:27:26 AM
"Jay sent three into a daze." - (yes i know this isn't a direct quote) this is just assuming that the technique has worked, without giving those other people a chance to try and defend themselves. Yes i know i'm controlling them, but its still relevant. I will also be sticking by this. I'm not going to go around a go "he dodged it". Characters will get hit and hurt, Gareeku included. I'm not to be all "he dodged and mowed down loads of people"
Put simply, i regard it as autohitting.

Fair enough.  You've referenced that in your followup so I'm assuming you don't want it reverted, but I'll bear it in mind for the future.

Having said that, Jakob has been doing this sort of thing for about 850 years so the chances are if he thinks he can do it, it will work.  This is one of the reasons I asked how many he should have done.

Also, we don't know how long they're going to remain like that.  Jakob is hoping they'll be like that for quite some time, but obviously you retain the option of bringing them out of it at any point.

Tapewolf

Hmm.  If the leader stoops to pick up the gold at that point, Arc is going to hit the guy behind him instead.  Otherwise... let's just say Jakob is not exactly going to be a happy bunny.

**EDIT**
Oops, nevermind.

Aisha deCabre

Oh holy crud...I think it's about time for someone to make their appearance... ;>.> *whoosh*
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on January 08, 2007, 03:12:51 PM
Oh holy crud...I think it's about time for someone to make their appearance... ;>.> *whoosh*
You do that thing if you can.. I'm stalled until Sheridan's attack is resolved.

**EDIT**
Or not, as the case may be.

The kind of gentle probing Jakob was doing should have been completely undetectable - see http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_706.php - so I've assumed there was something extra going on.  (The adventurers noticed the morphing magic on Dan, but didn't realise Abel had probed them.  Neither did Jyrras in the SAIA arc..)

**EDIT EDIT**
"I was taught all life is precious/sacred" was the phrase which Johan Cross used to say to his enemies shortly before he banished them.  Whether the bandits know this or not is unclear.

Jay looks sidelong at Gareeku because of his soul-devouring attack in Furrae Chronicles (Jak wasn't around when it happened but he's going to have heard about it).  While Cross is arguably more infamous than Gareeku, he can't exactly point to himself.  >:3

Gareeku

Sorry about not posting for a couple of days, I had exams to contend with XP I've got a couple more next thursday and friday, but they're open-book exams, so I don't need to do much revision for them ^.^

Tapewolf

This is the first half of a relatively long segment.  Jakob gets up again a few moments later - I wasn't sure if I wanted to use them both at once or give other people a chance to do things in the meantime.

**EDIT**
Removed the 'shot rang out' line from my previous post to improve continuity.

Gareeku

Tapewolf

Oh no..   I wanted to take Leona down...

**EDIT**
And that's most of my lined-up stuff  >:3

Note that Jakob's self-modification has left him.. not entirely sane.

Gareeku

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on January 11, 2007, 12:36:16 PM
Hehehe, this is gonna be good! >:3

Yeah, it was worth the wait.  I have a few other ideas too...

Gareeku

Cool man. If you want to share them, don't hesitate to send me a pm, or even an IM via either AIM, MSN, or YIM. :)

Arcalane

Gareeku

Arcalane

Gareeku

Meep... *cowers* >: Ok, thinking about it, I'll stop. But regardless, this is my rp, and what happened between mine and Jakob's post would only last about 2 minutes, if that, in real time.

Arcalane

That's still two minutes! Enough time for Arc's rifle to fire off a total of 1500 rounds, assuming sufficient ammunition feed!

<_< >_>

That and I was kinda shooting at Leona there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sheridan on January 11, 2007, 01:56:54 PM
That and I was kinda shooting at Leona there.

Well, if she takes a nick in the shoulder it's going to make Jakob's job of breaking her mind-shield a whole lot easier...

Aisha deCabre

Well, at any rate, it seems the thread is now back to a nice active start again...   :mowtongue
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on January 11, 2007, 02:54:02 PM
Well, at any rate, it seems the thread is now back to a nice active start again...   :mowtongue
Yup.  Gareeku's little absence gave me a lot of time to fine-tune.
By the way, "Jakob" really is his name - 'Cross' is the pseudonym.

(Boy, is he going to be depressed at what he's done when the high of the battle and the emotional instability wears off..)

**EDIT**

Urrr... while taunting Leona to try and lower her mind shield, Jakob's said that they were holding the pass for decades.  Re-reading the dialogue they actually just said "years".
Shall I fix that, or are we saying he's pulled the real figure (say 10 or 20 years) from Leona's mind?

(This is what happens when you write dialogue in your head while buying frozen food at Sainsburys)

Tapewolf

I was going to pause for an update on Leona, but I felt this was just too good to wait, and it's an insert point for Gabi to boot - she hasn't done anything yet.

**EDIT**
Oh, and I'm pretty sure the F-word falls within the scope of PG-13.. if it doesn't, let me know and I'll take it away.  (It's not like I'm going to use it everywhere, I might add)

**EDIT EDIT**
We need to be careful not to run out of bandits or kill more than there are.  Weren't there around thirteen?

Jakob: immobilises two (2)
Arc: kills dog (3)
Gareeku: kills Jonathan (4)
Anzimani: kills fox, cat (6)
Aisha kills at least one (7? 8?)

Gareeku

Man, I'm cruel. :(

EDIT: The band of theives is quite large. Once all hell broke loose, reinforcements would have come. Don't worry, I'll be sure to mention it in a future post.

And yes, its under a decade that they've been there.

Aisha deCabre

*patpats Gar*

Hm...as far as I can tell, Aish took down two in her initial move and three before tossing her boomerang.  That might take out two or three more, but I'm trying to factor in that any remaining bandits would have the sense to dodge or run... >.>
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on January 11, 2007, 06:27:26 PM
That might take out two or three more, but I'm trying to factor in that any remaining bandits would have the sense to dodge or run... >.>

One of the things Jakob is hoping for as a last-ditch is that the carnage will be attributed to Cross, with the notion that:
1. The remaining bandits will, as he put it "shit themselves" and flee
2. The Devil's Path will be free for a few decades for fear that Cross may return
3. It will make future bandits think twice before messing with him in future

Quote from: Gareeku on January 11, 2007, 06:25:49 PM
Man, I'm cruel. :(

Yeah.  I'm kind of stumped for a followup to that.  Suicide was something I'd considered, but my contingency for that was trapping her soul too.  Losing both her life and having her soul escape is going to hit Jakob pretty badly.

Gareeku

Um, where is Jakob going with Leona's body? :/