Classic Movies

Started by Rakala, November 09, 2008, 09:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Quote from: DarkAudit on November 10, 2008, 11:34:17 PMFail-Safe

Is that good?  Having seen Dr. Strangelove, which has a similar plot, I've always wondered if that one were any good.

I know I've mentioned this one before, but When the Wind Blows was a great film.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zorro

Monty Python Movies, all of them especially "Holy Grail" 

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: superluser on November 10, 2008, 11:42:04 PM
Quote from: DarkAudit on November 10, 2008, 11:34:17 PMFail-Safe

Is that good?  Having seen Dr. Strangelove, which has a similar plot, I've always wondered if that one were any good.

I know I've mentioned this one before, but When the Wind Blows was a great film.

Both Doctor Strangelove and Fail-Safe are adaptations of a book "Red Alert" (Forgetting the names at the moment, but the guy who wrote Red Alert sued both Kubrick and the guy who wrote Fail safe, settling out of court for considerable sums of money). Whereas Doctor Strangelove is a nasty comedy, Fail-safe is more of a suspense/thriller type movie, focusing much more on the distrust the Soviets have for the Americans, and the bickering between department leaders. And yes, it's very, very good.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Rakala

Quote from: Zorro on November 11, 2008, 03:29:44 AM
Monty Python Movies, all of them especially "Holy Grail" 

Holy Grail, maybe, but that seems to be all anybody knows of Monty Python. Less than a quarter of the people I know knew about Monty Python's Flying Circus before I met them. The Meaning of Life and The Life of Brian are even less known.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Which is a pity, because Life of Brian could kick Holy Grail's wet ass all over the tarmac.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I felt the Meaning of Life was better than Life of Brian.

Although both are better than Holy Grail, I'll admit.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Rakala

Yeah, Holy Grail would probably be funnier if everybody hadn't seen it and quoted it to death. I swear I can perform the whole movie on my own with the voices and everything. The only part I might get wrong is The Castle Anthrax.

Alondro

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 11, 2008, 11:23:34 AM
I felt the Meaning of Life was better than Life of Brian.

Although both are better than Holy Grail, I'll admit.

Heh heh, the gigantic fat guy barfing all over the place and then bursting from the after-dinner mint was sick and twisted and funny. 

A Mario Game from Nintendo a while back had a similar idea to it:  guy eats a whole lot while narrator describes all the extra stuff in the game.  Then he eats one more little bite, "How about a little bonus level?"  Then he explodes. 

One of my classic favorite movies was one lesser known than the mega-classic, "The Day the Earth Stood Still".   This one was called "When Worlds Collide", and I think it was very very well done considering the scientific knowledge of the time, even taking into account the gravitational effects of the approaching rogue red dwarf star, making its companion planet harbor only basic life (instead of plunking intelligent aliens on it as sci-fi is apt to do).

It was scientifically more plausible than the novel, but we can forgive the novel as it was written in the 1930's when even less was known.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Lysander

I'm not a fan of most classic movies, but I would agree that Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a great movie. I would never have guessed it was made before I was born until my film studies class.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

superluser

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on November 11, 2008, 09:18:30 AMBoth Doctor Strangelove and Fail-Safe are adaptations of a book "Red Alert" (Forgetting the names at the moment, but the guy who wrote Red Alert sued both Kubrick and the guy who wrote Fail safe, settling out of court for considerable sums of money). Whereas Doctor Strangelove is a nasty comedy, Fail-safe is more of a suspense/thriller type movie, focusing much more on the distrust the Soviets have for the Americans, and the bickering between department leaders. And yes, it's very, very good.

Just a point of clarification:

Fail-Safe was its own novel, which may or may not have been based on Red Alert.  It was certainly in Kubrick's interest to claim that it was.  Also, I don't think Peter George (the Red Alert author) sued Kubrick.

Also

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on November 11, 2008, 11:03:22 AMWhich is a pity, because Life of Brian could kick Holy Grail's wet ass all over the tarmac.

Especially with scenes like this (couple of f-bombs).

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Rakala

Holy Grail is definitely one of their least funny things, however it is still hilarious and definitely a good way to introduce somebody to Monty Python. Best Monty Python skit ever: NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Rakala on November 11, 2008, 03:15:28 PM
Holy Grail is definitely one of their least funny things, however it is still hilarious and definitely a good way to introduce somebody to Monty Python. Best Monty Python skit ever: NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Nah, it has to be Fresh Fruit Defence.

Rakala

Also good. I also like when they're going through a list of "tin" words and "wood" words.

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Rakala on November 11, 2008, 04:34:31 PM
Also good. I also like when they're going through a list of "tin" words and "wood" words.

Caribou. Gorne.

Jairus

"It's not a balloon! It's a zeppelin!"

Come to think of it, choosing just ONE sketch from Monty Python is damned near impossible.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Corgatha Taldorthar

the blancmanges (sp?) from outer space who want to win Wimbledon!

Jairus

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on November 11, 2008, 06:13:52 PM
the blancmanges (sp?) from outer space who want to win Wimbledon!
Oh, you're no fun anymore.

The blancmanges are really Australians, trying the get the rights to the peyote rule book, from the Czech publishers!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

DarkAudit

Getting back on track for a sec, I have when worlds Collide in my DVD collection, where it's sat for far too long.

Actually, that could be said about a lot of movies discussed so far. In my collection, and collecting dust.  :U
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Rakala

I have the same problem. All the movies I own are the ones I really like and watch to death. Then later I just watch them now and then.

Sunblink

The closest thing to a classic movie I've seen is 12 Angry Men... which I thought was awesome.

Oh, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I still love that movie.

Turnsky

The Thing. Classic horror flick.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tipod

I can never think of many good old movies off the top of my head, but has anyone here seen Ralph Bakshi's Wizards? Definitely worth a rental if you're into vintage animation.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

DarkAudit

Quote from: Tipod on November 15, 2008, 01:57:16 PM
I can never think of many good old movies off the top of my head, but has anyone here seen Ralph Bakshi's Wizards? Definitely worth a rental if you're into vintage animation.

Seen it. Own the DVD.  :eager
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Tipod

Quote from: DarkAudit on November 16, 2008, 04:52:35 PM

Seen it. Own the DVD.  :eager

Fritz! Love how emotive their hands are.
Even though there isn't much to the story, it's still a good watch.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Nikki

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Godzilla (oldold version)
Star Wars (Original Trilogy)
Jurassic Park
Alien/Aliens

;P

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3