Classic Movies

Started by Rakala, November 09, 2008, 09:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakala

I only recently saw Forrest Gump all the way through, which I have been told by practically everyone I needed to see. There have been several classic/well known movies I haven't seen, like Pulp Fiction. Does this surprise anyone? I mean I'm only 17, not like I've had a lot of time. Are there any classic movies that anybody else hasn't seen? I know somebody who went on about me for not seeing Forrest Gump but he hadn't even seen the Godfather (part 1) yet.

Jairus

There are many classic movies that I have not seen yet. Gone with the Wind, The Godfather, Forrest Gump... there are a bunch of them. I'll probably see them eventually. Thanks to a pair of film classes, I've seen a bunch more films that I might never have seen otherwise, like Citizen Kane, Yojimbo, Ghost Dog.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Corgatha Taldorthar

I haven't seen Citizen Kane myself, but I'm fairly well accomplished in the classic movies department. *shakes fist at culturally demanding relatives*  For all of my whining though, I'm glad I watched them, a lot of the classics deserve their status. I heartily recommend for everyone Casablanca, On the Waterfront, 12 Angry Men, Red Alert, and  Doctor Strangelove. All black and white, but all brilliant.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Rakala

There is absolutely nothing wrong with black and white movies, unless they end up on Mystery Science Theater.

superluser

For some stupid reason, I decided to watch both Seven Days in May and The Manchurian Candidate last night.  They were as good as when I saw them last.

I can also recommend All the President's Men and M.

I've heard good things about Our Man in Havana, though I've never seen it.

Be sure to see The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits.  Both are TV shows, but excellent.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Rakala

There is actually a Twilight Zone movie that I felt lived up to the original series.

Elieana

I haven't seen most classic movies for the simple fact that I'm extremely picky with movies .-. Most modern movies bore me. So, chances are, Forrest Gump will, too (which, I've never seen...nor do I want to ): )

superluser

Quote from: Elieana on November 10, 2008, 01:00:58 AMI haven't seen most classic movies for the simple fact that I'm extremely picky with movies .-. Most modern movies bore me. So, chances are, Forrest Gump will, too (which, I've never seen...nor do I want to ): )

This may provide a challenge!  What films have you liked?

Elieana

Well... to tell the truth for me to like a movie it cannot have a few things...

1. It cannot be gory. I absolutely HATE seeing people killed in horrible ways. Death in a movie is fine, but it seriously can't be an over-the-top death... If I want to watch a horror movie I'll watch a documentary on WWII.
2. I need to be able to understand what they're saying. No, they don't have to be speaking fluent English in an African country... but if it IS in English, I cannot stand listening to people talk in slang. Slang = lazy talk = not real words = gibberish (that is my definition anyway..). So this pretty much cancels out "gangsta" movies all together.
3. Not too fast, too furious. Explosions, car chases, and things crashing doesn't impress me. In fact, in movies, it rather bores me. If it's a small part of the movie, it's fine. However, movies like "The Fast and the Furious", "Gone in 60 Seconds", ect. ect. are a real snooze for me, so I'd rather not watch them.
4. There has to be an actually meaningful storyline. If things are happening in the movie that don't make sense, or the main plot is just completed stupid (e.i. "Dude, Where's My Car?"), then I won't watch/finish watching a movie.

So yeah... <_< This really narrows it down but can you guess my favorite genre now that I've given my main guildlines for movies I like? If you guess it, then you give a cookie :3

superluser

Quote from: Elieana on November 10, 2008, 05:57:42 AMSo yeah... <_< This really narrows it down but can you guess my favorite genre now that I've given my main guildlines for movies I like? If you guess it, then you give a cookie :3

Based on that, I'd suggest political thrillers, but you don't want boring, either, so... humm, romance?

How are you on Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Elieana

Yeaaaaaah romance :3 That's about the only thing that I'm stereotyped to as far as gender goes ^^ Romance is my favorite...everything o:

And I'm not really sure. I've heard of it, I've heard good things, but as far as personal opinions I can't tell you, for I have not seen it, sadly.

superluser

Quote from: Elieana on November 10, 2008, 06:09:40 AMAnd I'm not really sure. I've heard of it, I've heard good things, but as far as personal opinions I can't tell you, for I have not seen it, sadly.

Well, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is pretty much the anti-romance, but they do enunciate quite well, there's no gore, there's no furious action and the storyline is magnetic.

I can't think of any romances to recommend.  There's Some Like It Hot, and The Graduate, but they're not remembered for the sort of things that romances are remembered for.

Zina

I'm shocked no one has mentioned The Goonies or The Sandlot.
There are very few movies I remember loving as a child and were still pretty awesome watching as an adult.
And A Christmas Story. I've also seen Rashomon 50 billion times, and never by choice.

Other than that, there's a lot of classic movies I haven't seen. Listing them all would be ridiculous, so I'll spare you. But I don't think I've seen a single film with Audrey Hepburn in it.
Also, I didn't see Alien until recently. Why it took me so long to see that movie, I have no idea. It was pretty cool. Same with Dr. Strangelove. Just saw it this summer, actually. And I saw The Exorcist sometime this year, and I must admit, it didn't do much for me. Maybe I'm just not scared of the devil, idk.

Also, I haven't seen a single Bond film. Not one.

superluser

Quote from: Zina on November 10, 2008, 06:49:00 AMI'm shocked no one has mentioned The Goonies or The Sandlot.

I wouldn't call that from the classic era.  It's obvious that Rakala means more recent movies, too, but I guess that I'm just not inclined to think of those more recent ones.  Nonetheless, I second your recommendation.

And as to more recent films:

Ghostbusters
Animal House
Airplane!
Kentucky Fried Movie
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Army of Darkness
Big Lebowski (too recent?)

Zina

I don't know, it depends on what you consider to be a "classic". I'd consider Titanic to be a classic, and that was made in 1997. Same with Forrest Gump or Jurassic Park. So really, I guess it depends.

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Personally, I don't think Alien has anything on Aliens, particularly the Directors Cut edition.

But they do appeal to slightly different markets, I spose.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 10, 2008, 07:17:34 AM
Personally, I don't think Alien has anything on Aliens, particularly the Directors Cut edition.

But they do appeal to slightly different markets, I spose.

Aliens was that rare case of the sequel been just as good, or better than the original.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Oh, oh, Bladerunner.  And Company of Wolves.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Vidar

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked that noone mentioned anything by Akira Kurosawa.
The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, and Ran are all movies I highly reccomend.
They are in japanese, so get ready to read some subtitles. Most are also in black and white, but in this case, that just doesn't matter. The movies are so good that you can enjoy them without that newfangled 'colour' thingy.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Zina

Quote from: Zina on November 10, 2008, 06:49:00 AM
I've also seen Rashomon 50 billion times, and never by choice.

What now.

Also, checking wikipedia, Aliens was the movie I saw, not Alien. Show's what I know.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

King Of Hearts

I absolutely loved Godfather 1... but for some reason I cant get myself to finish part 2...

I also hate scary stuff, but there is no denying that 'Silence of the Lambs' is a classic in every sense of the word.

Dannysaysnoo

I recently watched Full Metal Jacket. Ironic, consdering it was Rememberance Weeken.

Sofox

Classic movies are a mixed bundle for me. Just like any group of films I suppose.
I actually make an active effort to watch classic movies, they generally fall into two categories. In one instance, I wonder how the heck it became a classic, often it's boring, it doesn't do anything terribly interesting and/or there are glaring problems with it that I'm surprised that no one seems to mind. The reasons I come up with are that other movies at the time must have been boring, that tastes have moved on, that the timing of the movie was just right, that the general audience was just so naive and uncultured that they felt that this movie was "revolutionary" or that I just have my own tastes.
On the other side, I find gems of movies that really had their own thing going for it, that have twists, styles, sense of identity, interpretations, moods ways of going about things, a sense of art, even original thoughts and ideas etc. that shames many movies and media that comes out today. In sort, they're fantastic and even movies that take inspiration from these movies fail to truely capture what made them brilliant even in the many years since their release and all the technological progress since then.

In both types of movies, you'll also generally find the situations, quotations, character types and settings that have been ripped off by other movies and TV series constantly since their release. That actually turns out to be one of my main reasons for watching these classic movies, so I can actually get all these references to these movies and understand them from their original setting.
Oh, it also makes you realise how bereft so many writers are of ideas/characters etc. that they keep ripping off the same set of concepts from the same set of movies.

Esnel Pla

Wait, wait.. I'm a movie person. A few years of my life have been spent on my hands and knees makin' em and new rest of my years spent writing them and teaching them. Now, I'm no pretentious asshole, if anything I'm a philistine, but when I click on a thread marked "Classic Movies" and the movie in question is Forrest Gump, I just have to utter a big ol' "WTF!?" to myself.

Rakala

Well, anybody I asked it seemed to be a classic to them. After seeing the movie I disagree a little. It was a good movie that I think everybody should see, but hardly a classic. I just assumed everybody here thought similarly to everybody else I've spoken to.

Auragonian

What about Wizard of Oz? I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. also never seen Forrest Gump, I'm more into Fantasy and Comedies than whatever genre that movie is in.

Rakala

Uh... kind of a comedy for the most part. Anyways, I feel that comedies are amusing, but far from the greatest genre. All the movies I consider my favorites are serious on some level.

DarkAudit

Sooo glad that DirecTV has Turner Classic Movies, Fox Movie Channel, and MGM HD. You've got the best of the best all right there.

They also carry AMC and Universal HD, but they have commercials, and AMC censors the movies, so they don't count.

Classic movie? Meaningful storyline? Not gory?

Well then. I give you several from different eras and genres.

Being There

Network

Fail-Safe

A Face in the Crowd
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....