11/05/08 [DMFA #949] - Well, it solves that, at least

Started by superluser, November 05, 2008, 02:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 10, 2008, 07:29:21 AM
For those who've never played the game, there is one of these on almost every deck of the space station.  When activated, you are 'healed' in one of these each time you die.  Even if you lock yourself in a lift and donate a pile of fifty hand grenades or jump into the core of a fusion reactor.

... donate? To whom?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sofox

Quote from: Eagle0600 on November 10, 2008, 04:59:40 AM
I believe there's a reference to System Shock Jelly Mould on it-he
Well, it's where he's linked it from.  A back-link might have been nice, though.

Apologies and it has been remedied.
I'm not used to including the link to the image along with the image itself when posting, but I'll remember it from now on.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 10, 2008, 08:10:08 AM
... donate? To whom?

Obviously that should have read 'detonate'.  Fixing...

Quote from: Sofox on November 10, 2008, 09:29:43 AM
Apologies and it has been remedied.
I'm not used to including the link to the image along with the image itself when posting, but I'll remember it from now on.
I'd have done it myself, but y'know, Rule 4.C.1 an' all...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 10, 2008, 10:54:38 AM
I'd have done it myself, but y'know, Rule 4.C.1 an' all...

Technically, I think your post here contravenes that rule. On the other hand, your original post (arguably) linked to your site, since it has the link in the sig...

*cough*

On the gripping hand, I don't think anyone is going to come stomping down on you for it. ;-]

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Eagle0600 on November 10, 2008, 04:59:40 AM
I believe there's a reference to System Shock Jelly Mould on it-he

Umm... what? It looks like maybe some kind of first person shooter game but beyond that I totally miss the reference.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 10, 2008, 02:06:58 PM
It looks like maybe some kind of first person shooter game but beyond that I totally miss the reference.
It certainly looks like you missed the explanation.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 10, 2008, 02:08:53 PM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 10, 2008, 02:06:58 PM
It looks like maybe some kind of first person shooter game but beyond that I totally miss the reference.
It certainly looks like you missed the explanation.
Sometimes I'll start replying to a thread then get distracted (Dad needing help, phone, whatever) for a while before posting it. Sometimes I ignore those "other replies have been added" messages when posting.

For those who've never played the game,...
What game? I didn't see anything I recognized as a game name mentioned. It looks similar to Doom, but not quite. I didn't see any jelly in that pic, mold or dessert type.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Pablo de Sarasate - Carmen Fantasy (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

DarkAudit

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 10, 2008, 11:09:48 AM

On the gripping hand, I don't think anyone is going to come stomping down on you for it. ;-]

Aww... I put on my golf shoes for nothing? *sulk*
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Jer-oh-me

"Donate a pile of fifty hand grenades..." I'm so gonna add that to my signature.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Jer-oh-me on November 10, 2008, 11:33:52 PM
"Donate a pile of fifty hand grenades..." I'm so gonna add that to my signature.
dooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeet :mwaha

Jer-oh-me

Eagle0600

Well I'm sold, you have my hand grenades.

Wait, I don't have any.

Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 10, 2008, 03:28:00 PM
What game? I didn't see anything I recognized as a game name mentioned. It looks similar to Doom, but not quite. I didn't see any jelly in that pic, mold or dessert type.

System Shock. I said it in my post back there.

Also, this thread is officially off topic.

GundamDragon

You want somke, frag, or krak? I have a few thowsand siting around. You will not belive how many troops die with out useing them. Loot the bodys!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: GundamDragon on November 11, 2008, 03:41:18 AM
You want somke, frag, or krak? I have a few thowsand siting around. You will not belive how many troops die with out useing them. Loot the bodys!

Leaving aside the previously mentioned issues about spelling, I believe there's a rule about roleplaying.

You've been warned, GundamDragon. Take heed. Correct your ways. Next time I have to struggle to understand one of your posts, I'll ban you due to you not using English.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Eagle0600 on November 11, 2008, 01:55:04 AM

Wait, I don't have any.

As I said, I didn't recognize anything as a game title, never heard of it.

QuoteAlso, this thread is officially off topic.
I'm done if you are.

How about just changing the resurrection ceremony into a cremation ceremony. No cancellation fees necessary.

DarkAudit

Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 11, 2008, 03:15:22 PM
Quote from: Eagle0600 on November 11, 2008, 01:55:04 AM

Wait, I don't have any.

As I said, I didn't recognize anything as a game title, never heard of it.

QuoteAlso, this thread is officially off topic.
I'm done if you are.

How about just changing the resurrection ceremony into a cremation ceremony. No cancellation fees necessary.

Different supplies. So it's still a net loss.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

GundamDragon

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 11, 2008, 03:51:10 AM
Quote from: GundamDragon on November 11, 2008, 03:41:18 AM

Leaving aside the previously mentioned issues about spelling, I believe there's a rule about roleplaying.

You've been warned, GundamDragon. Take heed. Correct your ways. Next time I have to struggle to understand one of your posts, I'll ban you due to you not using English.

Thats not role play i'm a merc in the real world and i do have a lot of "looted" gear. -_-

Damaris

Yeah.  We don't believe you.  and therefore, do not care.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Naldru

Quote from: Jer-oh-me on November 10, 2008, 11:33:52 PM
During World War II, my father and some people from his mine-clearing group once detonated a pile of fifty German anti-tank mines.  It apparently set off a mine that was still on the road, which set off the mine next to it, which set off the mine next to it, which (you get the picture).  He said it was very impressive watching the explosions march down the road.  Fortunately, the area had been cleared during the mine-clearing operation and there were no injuries.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

They're usually set up to chain like that. That way, you get the list of people in the middle of the stack before you set off the end one, and you get the whole line of tanks to blow up.

If you get it right, it's very destructive. It's also quite tricky to do, since the other side are trying just as hard as you are, only the other way.

Ghostwish

War does not determine who is right. Only who is left!

... I really need to quit talking to that robot.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Ghostwish on November 15, 2008, 06:41:14 PM
War does not determine who is right. Only who is left!

... I really need to quit talking to that robot.
Robot? What robot? :eager

Jer-oh-me

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 15, 2008, 03:28:25 PM
They're usually set up to chain like that. That way, you get the list of people in the middle of the stack before you set off the end one, and you get the whole line of tanks to blow up.

If you get it right, it's very destructive. It's also quite tricky to do, since the other side are trying just as hard as you are, only the other way.

So that's one reason bridges weren't blown until enemy armor showed up in some cases? Or am I thinking in circles. Sounds like if you could get the mines far enough apart and have the first one as the trigger, I'm probably just rewording this, you could blow up a battalion of tanks on one stretch of road, and if the road is dirt and you have a sufficiently large tractor at your disposal you could probably keep doing it. Which to me sounds hilarious, in a theoretical 'Gotcha!' method. Especially the 'Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.' principle.

Did I mention I'm contemplating being USN EOD? Essentially the same job as Naldru's father had in the military. Mines are nasty things, and I'm not glad to contemplate their existance, but taking out an enemy's means to defeat your comrades twice just seems very satisfying.

Naldru

Actually, my understanding was that these were tread-buster type mines (They were designed to go off right under the tread.  This would knock out one or two links, immobilizing the tank.) and were lined up along the two sides of the road.  They weren't supposed to be so close together and it was the concussion of the first large group of mines going off that set off the others.   (If they hadn't set off such a large pile of mines in the first explosion, it wouldn't have started the chain reaction.) However, what you said gave me an idea that the Germans had planned to launch a few artillery shells at a group of tanks going along the road.  The tanks would have then hit the mines on the side of the road as they turned off the road in evasive action.

The big one for being chained together were the Claymore mines.  When the enemy reached the end of the mined area, you would set off a large group of Claymores, killing many people in the middle.

Actually, ordinance disposal is one area where computers have made a big difference.  The disposal teams were supposed to keep records of all types of devices going back to the American Civil War.  (Every so often, they actually do come across mines from that war.)  When it was on paper manuals, it filled two filing cabinets.  Now, it can be placed on a single laptop.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Cogidubnus

superluser

*superluser notices subject change*

So I take it Darkmoon doesn't like the ISO 8601 date format?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Ghostwish

Nope.

My robot butler.

If anyone gets the reference, you've been talking to the robot too much too! Go kill some super mutants or something.

Naldru

Quote from: superluser on November 15, 2008, 10:51:52 PM

I don't think the box liked it either.  He "corrected" it when I used it.

Damaris

We try to keep the dates standard, so that it's easy to read the subject lines.  That's probably why the switch.  They'll also go in and fix things if its not spaced correctly, etc.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Naldru on November 16, 2008, 06:57:09 PM
Quote from: superluser on November 15, 2008, 10:51:52 PM

I don't think the box liked it either.  He "corrected" it when I used it.

I prefer iso standard, myself. Sadly, Darkmoon does not, so we get the ugly, stupid, month/day/year layout, instead of something that sorts easily and neatly and programmatically.

Yay Americans for being different and objectionable. ;-]