Oblivion

Started by Tapewolf, October 14, 2008, 02:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dagardo

Quote from: Dagardo on October 15, 2008, 09:07:30 AM
If you want me to shut up just tell me and I will. :3
I think you might be going a little further into spoiler territory than I'd like.  But yeah, I'll give this a go when I get home.
[/quote]

I will now cease my talking, although I try not to reveal anything too major. Although I for one don't care if I learn a spoiler, since I'm gonna figure it out eventually anyway, but that's just me... shutting up now.

bill

Quote from: Dagardo on October 15, 2008, 09:07:30 AM
You can buy a steel cuirass, and boots i think, and maybe a shield early in the Imperial City Market District from the stores "The Best Defense" and "Stonewall Shields" respectively Although you can't buy fifth and sixth level Armour at all , you're only option is to go and find them. You can find Ebony Armour from an Alyied ruin I think is south west, but you shouldn't unless you want to be completely murdered.
I did this with a low-level character, it's not that hard if you buy one of those super-expensive staffs in the Imperial City, and exploit the AI so it gets caught in traps.

Dagardo

Apparently if you get her caught in a ring of paint brushes (Xbox360 only, they're weightless, in the sense that they float) you can kill her by shooting her with arrows or spells, but getting her caught in such a thing seems like it would get really irritating after a really short time. While I'm on it, anyone here wouldn't have any clue how to crack an Xbox 360 encryption key would they? Just wondering.

Tapewolf

I take it back... Oblivion does have some level of predator-prey support, at least with the Wildlife mod.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/games/oblivion/PredatorPrey.png

...Okay, maybe the wolf pushing the horse into the sea is stretching it slightly, but it works for me.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 15, 2008, 06:38:43 PM

Wow, that wolf really wanted that horse to drink the water.

Tapewolf

Danny, I believe you once mentioned it was possible to move bodies around.  How is this done?  The closest I've managed to achieve is to jiggle them slightly with the 'Grab' key, which makes them quiver like a jelly and is very creepy - a graphic example of the 'Uncanny Valley'.  It is fun to roll boars down the hill, though.

**EDIT**

I managed to 'escape' out of Bruma  :P

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 16, 2008, 06:22:49 PM
Danny, I believe you once mentioned it was possible to move bodies around.  How is this done?  The closest I've managed to achieve is to jiggle them slightly with the 'Grab' key, which makes them quiver like a jelly and is very creepy - a graphic example of the 'Uncanny Valley'.  It is fun to roll boars down the hill, though.

With determination and spirit, i could jam bodies in cupboards with that Grab key. Just watch that key, though, don't grab things that can be stolen. They don't like you picking up their mugs.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on October 16, 2008, 07:18:35 PM
With determination and spirit, i could jam bodies in cupboards with that Grab key. Just watch that key, though, don't grab things that can be stolen. They don't like you picking up their mugs.
It can't be used to put back things Cat-Dude knocked over in the shop, then?  :<

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 16, 2008, 07:20:19 PM
It can't be used to put back things Cat-Dude knocked over in the shop, then?  :<

There may be a mod that could stop it from registering Grab as EVIL EVIL THEFT but i don't check the PC mods, what with having the xbox version.

Reese Tora

So far as money goes, I'v always found that the sewers under the imperial city are a great way to make money, especially if you have the patients to play the lockpicking game.

a couple lock picks -in case of breakage- and some poison and sneaking ability can get you a bunch or armor under the city's streets, and you can always run up out of the sewers if need be... the guards will finish off any enemies that follow you, and you can then loot the bodies... including the guards' spent ammunition.

The ayleid ruins also, as mentioned earlier, are a great source of stuff to sell early on, as the power stones are all pre-set pieces (as oppsoed to random spawn) and have a base price of, I believe, 50g.  COnsidering they are sued as light sources, and you can walk out of any given ruin with 10-30 of them if you are torough...

Another good source of early money is quests.

As an aside, you can join the thieves guild without going to jail; it's a matter of finding the right person and asking the right questions.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Tapewolf

Quote from: Reese Tora on October 16, 2008, 10:33:08 PM
Another good source of early money is quests.

That's been a mixed bag.  'Paranoia' has turned a profit, all the others so far have turned a heavy loss in equipment repairs and the bribes for the vampire quest in Bruma have just made me insolvent... I'll have to remember to reload to an earlier save tonight because he'll just wither and die otherwise.

In Morrowind, I used to steal souls and sell them to mages, but so far I've only found a single petty soul-gem.  Any idea where I can score some gems?

QuoteAs an aside, you can join the thieves guild without going to jail; it's a matter of finding the right person and asking the right questions.
Cool.

Oh, one more thing - am I right in thinking that there is a finite supply of repair hammers in the game?  Or do they regenerate?

Reese Tora

Merchant shops regenerate most of their stock on something like a daily or weekly basis... I think the actualy period might be on a shop by shop basis...

they don't always carry the same stuff in the same quantities, either (especially herbalist shops) it's based on your level and some random chance.  The armorer will always have repair hammers though.

if you do practice your potion making, be aware that you can only have so many potions in effect at one time... and anything you can make will quickly out strip the store bought potions... except for healing potions, because all player made healing potions heal over time as a regeneration buff... store bought and found potions are the only kind that do a instant direct heal, which doesn't take one of your 'potion buff' slots.

duplicate potion effects don't stack, but... for your anti-walkthrough ;) , if you make one, I'll give you this tip: potion buff stacking is based on the name of the potion and the effect.  if the effect adn name are identical, they don't stack.  if the name OR effect are different, they do stack... and you can name your potions that you make. >:3

Howl

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 14, 2008, 02:54:03 PM
Quote from: Reese Tora on October 14, 2008, 02:46:44 PM
Were you headed south?
yeah, edge of the world.

Shame.  It looked quite pretty down that way and the water would have been useful for losing the guards.

I notice that the woman is currently attempting to till the pavement.  Either that or she's using a hoe to sweep the floor.

There's something you can do in the INI file to remove the Invisible Borders, although after you go for a while, it just buggers out and you reach the end of the world, quite literally. You can also do a glitch, but that involves a horse, and it's not very good for running from guards.

Tapewolf

I notice that the legionaries don't bat an eyelid if you talk to them dressed in the armour of a legionary who "had an accident" while you were around  :)

EDIT:

Any suggestions for dealing with wisps?

Tapewolf

New question: do horses in stables respawn?  I've just realised that their souls are very useful.

EDIT:
Answer appears to be 'yes', horses do re-spawn.  You can, in fact, set the horse on fire, kill it, steal its soul and use it to recharge your enchanted dohickey right in front of the stable-boy.  He'll run to get out of the way of the panicking horse, but nothing else registers and his next words will be "Want to buy a horse?"

Ryudo Lee

Horses only provide a Lesser soul, with two quest-driven exceptions, and those provide Greater souls. 

Wisps are immune to normal damage, and as you've probably found out, they can turn invisible.  Life Detection is your friend here.  You need an enchanted weapon, or a silver weapon, or a daedric weapon to fight one (this also goes for ghosts and wraiths as well).  They're possibly too powerful for lower level characters, so you may want to avoid them until later levels.  They are also immune to Silence which is a pain, but it makes sense cuz their only attacks are magical.  They will do spells that Absorb Magicka and Health, as well as Damage Intelligence and Willpower, sometimes both at the same time.  Nasty things.  But you do need a sample of Glow Dust to do Azura's quest.  Her statue is up in the northern mountains, around the eastern side. 

You're going to want to find as many of the statues of the daedric princes as you can.  They give some really nifty stuff in return for a few favors.  My particular favorite daedric quest is Shaogorath's quest.  Much fun.  Sanguine's quest is fun too if you have the mod that made the ESRB give Oblivion the M rating.  The most worthwhile one though (IMHO) is Nocturnal's quest.  All of the daedric quests give you a bit of fame, except for one, but there's an obvious reason for that.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on October 19, 2008, 01:42:27 AM
You're going to want to find as many of the statues of the daedric princes as you can.  They give some really nifty stuff in return for a few favors.  My particular favorite daedric quest is Shaogorath's quest.  Much fun.  Sanguine's quest is fun too if you have the mod that made the ESRB give Oblivion the M rating.  The most worthwhile one though (IMHO) is Nocturnal's quest.  All of the daedric quests give you a bit of fame, except for one, but there's an obvious reason for that.

Nocturnal's also makes lockpicking way too easy, but that's touch and go depending on your playstyle.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

Horses only provide a Lesser soul, with two quest-driven exceptions, and those provide Greater souls.
For my purposes, that simply means I have to kill a few more of them  >:3

QuoteWisps are immune to normal damage, and as you've probably found out, they can turn invisible.  Life Detection is your friend here.  You need an enchanted weapon, or a silver weapon, or a daedric weapon to fight one (this also goes for ghosts and wraiths as well).  They're possibly too powerful for lower level characters, so you may want to avoid them until later levels.
I'm level 15.  I tried a few magic attacks and using an enchanted weapon but they still killed me.  For now, I'm going to stick with either avoiding them or leading them to a legionary - after they've sucked him dry they seem to go quiescent, at which point I can hop in and loot the carcass before running like buggery.

QuoteBut you do need a sample of Glow Dust to do Azura's quest.  Her statue is up in the northern mountains, around the eastern side. 

Damn, damn, damn!  She's the only statue I've found so far and her star would be dead useful for the horse gig.  I don't suppose she gives any hints on killing them - guess I'll have to ask her.

On the plus side, I've now reached the point where killing people is turning a healthy profit - most likely because they're loaded with dwarven and elven goodies these days.  I've now been able to buy the manor in Anvil and I finally have somewhere I can stuff my loot.

Dagardo

If you're that hard up on glow dust there are two other options off the top of my head, and in both of them you live. You can 1. steal a sample from the Bruma Mages Guild hall, or 2. buy a sample from any alchemy supplies vendors in Cyrrodill.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dagardo on October 19, 2008, 11:20:16 AM
If you're that hard up on glow dust there are two other options off the top of my head, and in both of them you live. You can 1. steal a sample from the Bruma Mages Guild hall, or 2. buy a sample from any alchemy supplies vendors in Cyrrodill.

I was going to ask if it could be bought off-the-shelf, but I actually managed to ambush one all on its own and set light to it until it died.
So yes, Azura got her hit... probably thinks she's a seagull by now.

My standard technique for pretty much everything has become "kill it by fire and the sword".  I'm hoping to become a master of the blade fairly soon, but destruction is a bit behind on that count.  I'll look up some trainers on UESP.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 19, 2008, 03:18:42 AM

Nocturnal's also makes lockpicking way too easy, but that's touch and go depending on your playstyle.

That's why I say that it's the most worthwhile.  I hate breaking lockpicks. :3

Tape, which class did you pick?  You should look into making sneak attacks, they're worth it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on October 20, 2008, 09:21:58 AM
Tape, which class did you pick?  You should look into making sneak attacks, they're worth it.

Character class?  Kitty.  Basically a compilation of the traits I found most useful in Morrowind.
I loved the way it said "Are you sure you want to be a kitty?" at the start, but sadly it was before I got screenshots working.

Tapewolf

What happens if you murder the Dark Brotherhood guy?  Is the Night Mother pleased about that?

Reese Tora

or you can join the mages guild and have free access to just take the glow dust from the bruma chapter...

generally, the dark brotherhood works like any other guild, you attack or steal from its members, you get in trouble, kicked out, maybe permanently banned, depending on the rules.

there are spoilers if I go further in describing anything...

atleast the requirement to join the dark brotherhood is fairly simple.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on October 20, 2008, 09:21:58 AM
Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 19, 2008, 03:18:42 AM

That's why I say that it's the most worthwhile.  I hate breaking lockpicks. :3

The temptation does get too strong to just spam Auto-Attempt until it works, though. I still click the locks even with the Skeleton Key, because it's fun that way.

Re: Sneak Attacks. YES. If you're an archer on top of it, you can kill plenty of stuff before it reaches you.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Reese Tora on October 20, 2008, 06:38:08 PM
or you can join the mages guild and have free access to just take the glow dust from the bruma chapter...
I was never sure if it was okay to take guild property - I've had them get very pissy about things like that in Morrowind.  Still, if there is stuff free for the taking... I have a sudden need for as many Grand Soul Gems as I can get my paws on.

Ryudo Lee

Once you join a guild, most of the stuff they have lying around is up for grabs.  If there's something that can't be taken, then you have to be a higher rank before you can take it.  Once you become the head of the guild, everything can be grabbed.

Tapewolf

Ryudo Lee

I had a roommate who had a whole lot of fun with the nudity mod...

Azlan

Some people never get over juvenile tendencies.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"