Where in the world have you been?

Started by Lady Buggery, October 14, 2008, 12:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Buggery

I had an interesting idea for a new topic, so here it is!

I'm a bit of a travel enthusiast, when I have the time and money, so I've been a few places in the world. What are your favorite travel destinations, and what are some tips you can give to those who want to travel to said destinations? I Myself have been to Italy, England, Wales, Scotland, Lived in Japan, and various parts of the eastern USA.

Italy was kind of a bitter-sweet trip because I was visiting a dieing relative (sad to see him go, he was the best guy you'd ever meet) so I spent most of my time in the countryside around his home (which was 2 hours from Rome) As well as all the obvious places, may I say that the Italian countryside is a must see. Also, Italian beaches are awesome, the sea is so calm and blue.

Britain was only a week as well, and boy what a hectic week it was. I suggest going to visit one country per trip, not three in one, one week period  :mowdizzy

Japan I could go on and on about since I lived there for a while, so I suppose if anyone has questions about it, ask and then I'll post :P

So where in the world have you been, and what was so good about it?  :eager tell me!

Rakala

First post is boring. I've been all around Kansas, two different cities in Michigan, and Las Vegas. Fortunately Vegas has alot of things to do even if you are underage. I ran out of things to do before the week was out we were spending there.  I really want to go to Italy though. That is my perfect vacation.

Suwako

Countries I've stayed in. (iow: unpacked and been for 1 day or more)

Europe:

Czech Republic
Netherlands (home)
Belgium
Germany
Austria
Slovenia
France
Norway
Denmark
Croatia
Hungary
Switzerland

I've driven through:

Poland
Italy
Sweden

rabid_fox

Lived: Ireland, Isle of Man, England

+

Been to: Scotland, Wales, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Canada.

Oh dear.

Dannysaysnoo

Live in - Scotland

Been to - France, Ireland

Want to go to - America, New Zealand, Italy

Lady Buggery

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on October 14, 2008, 12:50:18 PM

Want to go to - America

no you don't >.>

just kidding, I just happen to live in the most highly populated area in the country (the north-east corridor) but there is a ton of stuff to see.  :hug

llearch n'n'daCorna

Let's see. In no particular order...

Lived in (ie, more than a couple of days): New Zealand, Australia, USA, Norway, Tunisia, Egypt, Greece, Holland, England, Scotland, Spain...

Visited (ie, either travelling through, day trip, or some such): France, Bali, Singapore...

I'll probably come back and list more if I remember then.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

LionHeart

Living in Australia.

I've been to England, and Kuala Lumpur. Also seen some of Tokyo, on a stopover (it rained the whole time, which rather detracted from the experience).

I'd like to visit New Zealand at some point.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Jack McSlay

I've never left the country myself, but visited several places, and when you live in a country about the same area as europe and filled with regional sub-cultures, that's still a bunch.

Haven't got much interest of visiting other countries, really, other than Japan and possibly China. Could go to USA if someday i wanted to attend one of those cons there and could afford it.
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Tapewolf

I live in Wales, come from England.  I'm not a great one for travelling.  I've once been to France for a wedding, apart from that, my only real excursions out of the country have been to Pittsburgh in the US for Anthrocon.  Twice.

My brother, by contrast, has been to Wales, Scotland, France, Austria, India, Nepal, the US and Canada, and probably a few more I've forgotten.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Well, let's see. State wise, I've lived in California all my life. I've been to Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Massachusetts... I think that's it. Oh, and Nevada.

In terms of other countries, I've been to Mexico, Poland, and the Czech Republic. I'd definitely like to travel more: England/Wales/Scotland/Ireland are definitely on my list of places to visit, and I think at some point I'll end up going to Germany to visit my relatives on that side of the ocean.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

superluser

I live in the States, and I've only been to Canada, the Czech Republic and Poland.  I've also been in international territory in Germany and the Netherlands, though I never left the airport.

In terms of states, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Washington, California, Nevada, Arizona and possibly New Mexico.  I've also been to DC and driven through Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Sunblink

I was born in Lexington, Kentucky. Then I moved to Florida, which is where I live now.

I've been to Boston, New York, North Carolina, Pittsburgh (for Anthrocon), and, most notably, Rome. I want to go back to Rome. :c

Zina

Apart from Canada, the only place I've been to outside of the US is Japan, where I currently live. I like Hokkaido. It's comfy. Sapporo is one of my top favorite cities, right now.

I also studied in Tokyo for a few months, and visited Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nara and Miyajima. I want to go back to Miyajima someday.

State-wise, I've lived in both Washington and Colorado, and have been all over the midwest and west coast, including Alaska and Hawaii. East coast, I've only been to Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

I'd like to go to Thailand soon, and had a chance to this winter break, but I guess I'd rather spend it at home with my family. :V

Alondro

Ooooo!  Zina's in Japan!  Can you go stalk Tite Kubo for me?   ILL B UR FREND.  :3

I have been to Hawaii long ago.  But only cuz my brother had leukemia and wanted to go there to see Pearl Harbor.  Not the best of circumstances. 

Outside of that, been to Virginia and local states to NJ.  That's it.  I'm a combination of too busy and too poor (mainly that second part) to travel.   :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

superluser

Quote from: Zina on October 14, 2008, 06:14:00 PMI'd like to go to Thailand soon, and had a chance to this winter break

I can never go to Thailand.  There's a non-trivial chance that I might be arrested for a rape/murder that was committed there.

Reese Tora

I have lived in California all my life.  I can remember having visited the states of Oregon, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, and Pennsylvania.  I know I've stayed in Utah and Idaho, but can't remember anything about them(part of the trip to visit Yellowstone in Wyoming when I was 5).  I have stopped over in Texas and Georgia en route to other places.

Abroad, I've been to Ireland(back when I was 8, and by way of that stop in Georgia)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Valynth

I've been around most of the U.S., but it was when I was around 9-10.  We went on a country seeing tour and I can tell you this.

Most of the landscape was corn.  When it wasn't corn it was wheat.  When it wasn't corn or wheat, it was dusty boulders and plateaus.  When it wasn't any of the above, it was mountainous.

We mostly visited the most of the border states with the exception of California (my dad's former military, but I doubt he could take on an entire state since they tend to hate anything and anyone related to the military or any U.S. authority out there), but it was really more of an extended camping trip with a trailer than a sightseeing thing (although we did see Mt. Rushmore).

I really envy the Europeans out there.  They can walk to most of their sights.  I went on a three-month trip and 90% of it was traveling and 5% was visiting relatives.  I didn't even get a nifty watch outta it like these kids today get.

Other than that, I haven't been out of the U.S. due mostly to my utter lack of charisma (well, SOME stat had to be the 8 ), my lack of funds, and the fact that I don't speak much of anything that isn't English (mostly because English keeps stealing the foreign words I DO know.)
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

superluser

Quote from: Reese Tora on October 14, 2008, 10:56:43 PMAbroad, I've been to Ireland(back when I was 8, and by way of that stop in Georgia)

Are you counting Georgia as abroad?  Because that would seem to be the long way `round.

Jairus

Quote from: superluser on October 15, 2008, 01:49:52 AM
Quote from: Reese Tora on October 14, 2008, 10:56:43 PMAbroad, I've been to Ireland(back when I was 8, and by way of that stop in Georgia)

Are you counting Georgia as abroad?  Because that would seem to be the long way `round.
I think he means Georgia the state, not Georgia the county. And to go from California to Ireland by way of stopping in the state somewhat makes sense, though I think a slightly more northern Eastern state would make a wee bit more sense.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

superluser

Quote from: Jairus on October 15, 2008, 02:24:38 AMI think he means Georgia the state, not Georgia the county. And to go from California to Ireland by way of stopping in the state somewhat makes sense, though I think a slightly more northern Eastern state would make a wee bit more sense.

It was a joke.

Valynth

Quote from: Jairus on October 15, 2008, 02:24:38 AM

I think he means Georgia the state, not Georgia the county. And to go from California to Ireland by way of stopping in the state somewhat makes sense, though I think a slightly more northern Eastern state would make a wee bit more sense.

Nah, the Atlanta hub has pretty much demanded that ALL air traffic gets routed through it.  And for some reason, we must appease Georgia.  At least that's what I've heard.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Reese Tora

Quote from: Valynth on October 15, 2008, 02:58:41 AM
Quote from: Jairus on October 15, 2008, 02:24:38 AM

Nah, the Atlanta hub has pretty much demanded that ALL air traffic gets routed through it.  And for some reason, we must appease Georgia.  At least that's what I've heard.

hehe... considering how large and diverse the US is, I may as well.

We flew Delta (I even remember the in flight comedy show fromt eh return trip... drink canada dry, harhar :P ) and so far as I know, Atlanta, Georgia has been one of their major hubs for forever.

And I would say that my state is not anti-military outside of a few people; we're not all Hanoi Jane.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Zina

Quote from: Alondro on October 14, 2008, 08:20:52 PM
Ooooo!  Zina's in Japan!  Can you go stalk Tite Kubo for me?   ILL B UR FREND.  :3

No clue who that is, but I hate him already.

Jack McSlay

I'm not much of a tourism person really. but in general I have greater interest in knowing my own country than visiting others. Brasil has a bunch to offer, you know.

I've visited Maranhão, Ceará, Espírito Santo, São Paulo, Goiás and live in Minas Gerais. Would like to visit Amazonas, Santa Catarina, Brasília, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador and possibly visit Goiás again to see the Pantanal
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Alondro

Quote from: Zina on October 15, 2008, 04:51:31 AM
Quote from: Alondro on October 14, 2008, 08:20:52 PM

No clue who that is, but I hate him already.

The creator of "Bleach".  Now you have 2 reasons to hate him!   :P

Why so much hate?  Can't we all just get along?   :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Lady Buggery

Quote from: Zina on October 14, 2008, 06:14:00 PM
Apart from Canada, the only place I've been to outside of the US is Japan, where I currently live. I like Hokkaido. It's comfy. Sapporo is one of my top favorite cities, right now.

I also studied in Tokyo for a few months, and visited Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nara and Miyajima. I want to go back to Miyajima someday.

I stay away from Miyajima and Nara...everytime I go there the freaking deer try to eat me, seriously, I have holes in my clothes to prove it. Even when my buddies had FEED they came after me xD.

I liked Okayama best, but I'm biased, my host family lives there and it reminds me of West Virginia, a place despite its reputation, that holds a lot of fond memories for me :)

Zina

Quote from: Alondro on October 15, 2008, 08:17:33 AM
The creator of "Bleach".  Now you have 2 reasons to hate him!   :P

Why so much hate?  Can't we all just get along?   :<

Not as long as there's people named "Tite" about, we wont.

Quote from: Redwing X on October 15, 2008, 08:38:24 AM

I stay away from Miyajima and Nara...everytime I go there the freaking deer try to eat me, seriously, I have holes in my clothes to prove it. Even when my buddies had FEED they came after me xD.

I hate the deer. They're mean, they headbutt and they bite. One stole a map from out of my pocket and ate it. I was fond of that map.

Luckily, the deer in Miyajima stay on the beach and don't venture into the town area and don't seem to bother people when they're in the mountains.

I remember showing pictures of my time in Miyajima to a friend, and she kept lamenting about how "cruel" it was that the Japanese "trapped" those "poor deer" in those areas and oh no, look at this one, it has patches of fur missing. How terrible!
I had to explain that no one keeps the deer there, the deer are free to come and go as they please, they hang around those areas by choice, they're a bunch of jerks, and that one probably has patches of fur missing because the other deer bit him because they are a bunch of jerks.
Yeah, I hate the deer in Japan.

Lady Buggery

My friend fed the Nara deer a whole dozen Mr. Dough nuts, no wonder those deer are insane, you have a bunch fo crazy people feeding them Mr. Dough nut xD. But yeah, I saw a deer just walk on into a shop in Miyajima, and an old lady "cursing" it out and beating it out with a broom...as it tried to eat the broom. Good times.

Lysander

I'd like to go to Japan for a while even though I don't know much of any words beyond hello. A friend of mine went on a couple foreign exchange programs there and from what he says it would be great to at least visit.

I've been to Florida, Nevada (Las Vegas), and California for a short while. Las Vegas enjoyed the most but for no specific reason. California was ok, the Sandiego Zoo is great as is the wildlife park, and Seaworld is wonderful. I despise Florida, but from what I heard it was mostly the area I was in that made it suck, but I couldn't name the city.

I live in Utah, but things to do there and places to go I couldn't really say beyond places to try if you like skiing/snowboarding. If so, Park City, Alta and Snowbird are good. I've never done any tours at Temple Square in Salt Lake City, but eveyone who has been there has good things to say.

I lived in Western New York for a couple years. They have many random "historic" sighs like the world's larges pancake pan in Penn Yan, Wyomin County where there's more cows than people, the Broadway MArket in Buffalo (only really specian around Easter) and inner city Rochester where people get shot and/or stabbed in that small area daily. Niagra Falls really wasn't too special, but I'm sure if I was able to see it from the Canada side it would be great. Letchworth State Park in Wyoming County is very beautiful.   :januscat
TytajLucheek