"The Milk and Cookies Incident" Planning/Interest topic (OOC)

Started by Lady Buggery, October 14, 2008, 12:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Buggery

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 18, 2008, 11:20:17 PM
I vote for the Overlord needing someone to fetch his slippers.

WAR SLIPPERS?  :mwaha

Yeah something silly is fine xD. I have something fun planned for my character's magic. Until she sorts herself out...pretty weird stuff happens whenever she casts anything lol.

Noone

Quote from: Roya Redwing on October 18, 2008, 09:08:48 PM
All very good guys. I figure we should implement a starting plot. I was thinking some kind of event to trigger a grand quest. Maybe a magical assault from an unknown sender, or some overlord needing a rag tag group of misfits to complete a task. Something light and comedic will do. Please share your potential staring plots ^^.
Truth be told, I thought you had some kind of starter-event prepared, and players would take it from there. If not, I guess I can come up with some ideas, and can share the ones that first come to mind.

Normally, before I start off a plot-line (I'm actually DMing a Dungeons and Dragons group at college this year, but I'm still new to the experience), I usually make all of the backing beforehand, plot, NPCs, and the most likely venues that the players may go for. Obviously, it's impossible to determine all possible routes and sometimes, the DM has to make up things as they come if they get caught completely off guard. That or they put the players down an entirely linear and one-choice plot-path, but that has no charm to it.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few things that may start the characters down some avenue, and some of the complications. For one, none of the players know each other, or have any reason to trust one another, so that can interfere with them going anywhere together unless something happens, we're just a bunch of people who happened to meet in a cafe. Furthermore, I don't see how we could go on an escapade together, it's conceivable that our characters can handle some danger but I have to wonder what kind of force would have to be applied to make them band together (or possibly separately) to go along said plot-line.

As for possible plot-lines, who knows? A run in with an underground soul-trading ring? (And I'm going on the perfectly reasonable assumption that that trade is highly illegal.) Something involving poisoned food? (Like if Kassin got Belladonna tea instead of herbal tea, perish the thought..), or maybe some creature-based conspiracy wants to take over whatever place we happen to be in? To be perfectly honest, I honestly don't have a clue as to how to start. I would have to spend some time going through my aforementioned process of fleshing everything out before actually releasing it, I certainly wouldn't want to release a broken plot-path with several holes and a bad break-point. I guess if we had suggestions and wanted to delve into specifics without spoiling secrets, we could discuss via PM or other means of communication.

Lady Buggery

Yeah normally I do the honorable thing and play NPC's and whatnots, I've just had things get too character reliant and of course the one player who becomes one of the many key players end up dropping out and the RP falls apart. I do have a start in mind but it's kinda been done to death, so I'm hoping others might want to try some story lines they might want to play with, or something.

Noone

Well, I suppose that's true, though RPs generally need a little kick to get going, otherwise all the firewood built has nothing to spark it. In other words, someone has to start it, and if you have a start in mind... go for it.

The way I see this working, is that instead of a normal RP where the DM hat is glued to one person's head, it gets passed around as story lines get good break-points. What this would do, is one, keep the stories cycling, and while one is actively playing the DM role, another, or more would  be coming up with their plots and would then take the DM hat once the current DM is ready to pass it on, and of course, with enough members, I'm sure that the plots can cycle frequently making sure that one DM doesn't have his head explode trying to press his/her creativity. Obviously, some may not choose to take the hat, and that's fine, I wouldn't want to force anyone to create a plot line and have the whole game suffer for it, but I think this could work well if the DMship gets passed around. Granted, these plots may not intermix unless the players co-ordinate beforehand, but that can be done. Obviously, when specific mini-plots are nearing completion, the DM would say so so that a player might be ready to continue with another story line.
(Though if you do adopt this, you may want to keep an active update on who has the hat at any given time.)

What I don't want to do is just have an NPC walking in and doing stuff without permission, such a thing would get too chaotic quite quickly. I know the first steps are the hardest to take, but someone has to do it. If you don't think you can, I guess I could 'take the hat'. If need be, I may be able to have something set up in my mind by the time I'm finished poisoning myself half to death at Gracie's.  :) (Thats my dining hall's name)

EDIT: The biggest quirk here is to give the players some form of identity with each other. Right now they are just some characters who came into a cafe, nothing more really. They don't have any reason to interact with each other, barring something thats horribly stereotyped, or has plot holes.

Azlan

Forgive my silliness, I always wanted to use Hotel California in a game somewheres.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Lady Buggery

Heehee its ok Azlan, there may be numerous Queen references in my futire posts. Ok people, Implementing lame but hopefully sufficient plot start up for you all to run with.

Kitsune Ascendant

Character name: Saya (full name: Sayashina Lunera Celeste)
Race: Kitsune, 4 tails
Age: chronologically about 400 years. physically and mentally comparable to someone in their mid-teens

Character name: Vash (Full name: Valshimere Solestro Celeste)
Race: Kitsune, 4 tails
age: Chronologically about 400 years old. Physically and mentally comparable to someone in their mid-teens

details: Saya and Vash inhabit the same body, as they have since birth. Though they are aware that they share a body, they have no contact between each other and no control over who occupies the body, which can change at any moment. This can lead to some embarrasing situations...
Saya is identifiable by her snow-white fur, as well as a icy blue crescent-moon mark on the back of her left hand.
Vash is solid black with an orange diamond on the back of his left hand.

Anything I need to do, or can I just jump right in?
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

Lady Buggery

Just jump on in, but be sure to read everything as the plot has been introduced xD

llearch n'n'daCorna

No contact? Not even leaving each other notes in their pocket?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lady Buggery

Corgatha Taldorthar

I forget what movie he's referring to (at least originally, a lot of people have adopted this gimmick since then) but there's a movie where you have a character with disscociative disorder, and the personalities aren't directly aware of each other. They communicate by writing notes and leavingt them in her pocked for the other personality to find and read.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I wasn't referring to a movie - if anything, probably a story I might have read years ago...

But yes, that's the idea.

Kitsune Ascendant

Never really occurred to them (or me, for that matter). They usually let someone around fill them in on what happened.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.

Kipiru

this should be fun, though I'm not sure if I'll join, here is my info:

Name: Kipiru Starrider
Race: Unicorn/Demon
Skin(fur): white
Hair(mane): ember
eyes: blue
Further description: He is 7 feet tall, dressed in a leather overcoat(dark blue) and carrying a large two-handed sword on his back. He has spectral wing he prefers to hide. He actually prefers to hide him being a demon at all. He is prety powerfull, but restrains himself from sowing it even in the most dire of situations. Can't be fooled by magic bariers or any other masking. Feels the streams of magic and life force around him but rarely speaks of it.

e_voyager

I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Noone

Hmm, part of me has realized I never named Kassin's home, nor have I asked about how far away it is and where I could go for it. Realistically that would be what Kassin would be after were he in a normal situation. Of course, I don't really have the world geography in mind, so of course, I could just pull some name out from the sky and create a setup so that it's thousands of miles away or the travel path is extremely dangerous, or something like that. As long as there is some excuse to keep the possibility unrealistic to him, that would be fine.
Edit: what I really don't want to do is start making things up in world geography that might cause problems later, aka I would prefer DM approval before doing something like creating his home.

Lady Buggery

llearch n'n'daCorna

I have a plan for a character for here, but it'll take me a couple of weeks to free up the time to make the char sheet.

Just thought I'd mention it. I might not get around to bringing her in, but I'll see what I can do.

Lady Buggery

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 28, 2008, 03:44:13 AM
I have a plan for a character for here, but it'll take me a couple of weeks to free up the time to make the char sheet.

Just thought I'd mention it. I might not get around to bringing her in, but I'll see what I can do.

Its alright. WoW has taken over my life as of a few days ago. I won't stop til i get to 60 and get my epic mount before i start my new job XD. anyway if anyone was wondering, that's where I've been lol

e_voyager

I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Lady Buggery

Quote from: e_voyager on October 28, 2008, 11:05:39 AM
sounds like an addition WoW filler but don't worry we understand

I'm currently doing some WoW fanart while I wait for tuesday server downtime to finish xD might submit it to fan art site...there are some less than crazy awesome in there, I have a shot XD.

Kipiru

Hey Red, since we are now at a standstill can my char suggest a possible location to where we can start searching for the parts of the staff.

Lady Buggery

Quote from: Kipiru on October 31, 2008, 08:05:36 AM
Hey Red, since we are now at a standstill can my char suggest a possible location to where we can start searching for the parts of the staff.

Please do becuase now that i've moved into my moms I wont have stable internet till saterday and my brother's shitty connection is driving me nuts! it takes two days to downlad anything and its driving me mad lol.

e_voyager

Kitsune Ascendant

RP seems kinda slow. Did people lose interest? Or is it just that School's wrapping up for the semester and it's crunch time? Something else maybe?

Corgatha Taldorthar

I for one kind of lost interest. There was no real plot nor a reason for our characters to really interact. (Well, beyond the level of Ordlen stealing from you guys)
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

e_voyager

i was and still am waiting for and opening for it to grow. you'd be amazed at how big and fun an rp like this can get. characters  lounge got to be a number of pages

Noone

Roya Redwing was last active on November 8, and hasn't been here to manage things for a while. Of course, since it's really her plot-line we're starting out with, her presence is kind of necessary to make things run. I don't really see this working without someone in charge, even if whomever that is in charge changes every so often. With the current setup though... there is no form of identity amongst the players, and no real solid lines to lead on. A bit of non-linearity is great, but having no continuity doesn't work very well.

I myself had a plot-line kind of worked out, but I don't want to do that without her permission. One issue is that we have already started on Roya's plotline, and assuming she isn't up for the DM hat, would make abandoning it somewhat difficult, since some of the characters have already decided they want to go along with it, while other characters have viewed the whole thing with more skepticism. Of course, I guess we could always learn the lesson from this comic and if she wants someone else to start this up, could declare all events taken since after and including reply #11 null and void, or have something else happen while the group is still trying to decide on things. Of course, we still need Roya's permission to do any of this, it is her RP after all, and it's definitely bad manners to just waltz in and take over.

Regardless, I don't really think there is a feasible solution to inactivity, and I don't see this RP going over well without some form of administrator keeping things in some kind of loose order. As it stands, I don't see this progressing, since we would either need Roya's present to handle her plotline, or her permission to start a new one. I would be willing to give this a go if this can be pulled off, as it would be dreadfully impolite to hijack her RP right under her nose, while she isn't around to see it no less.