Anyone out there into anime?

Started by silentassassin, October 10, 2008, 02:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

I could only take a few episodes of Bobobo before it got too silly for me. 

I hung on longer with Gintama, as the word-play in many of the jokes was more clever, and there were the constant Shonen Jump jokes, which I got most of the time because I have so much anime awesomeness.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Rakala

Okay. Recently figured out what Bleach is. It is awesome. I will now stay up to watch it on Adult Swim, be tired in the mornings, and probably flunk out of school. That is how awesome it is.

King Of Hearts

Quote from: Eibbor_N on October 28, 2008, 04:52:23 AM
I just started watching Onmyō Taisenki yesterday. Has anyone else seen it? Kogenta probably has an appeal for the furry crowd, and the Daoist-based world probably appeals to those among us who like Eastern culture. It's quirky, fun, and involves fighting monsters. Mega score! :D

It think it's rather nice, although I think my favourite character is actually the kids' teacher. |D She's just an interesting, clever character, in my opinion.

Loved every minute of it, my biggest attraction to it is how it portrays the dynamics of friendship. Loved the 2nd op very much as well. Sweeter than uhh~ Fever and uhh~ whatcha want me to do?

Fave character of the show? Yakumo... who I maintain is the strongest among them.

gh0st

Quote from: Rakala on October 29, 2008, 06:18:10 PM
Okay. Recently figured out what Bleach is. It is awesome. I will now stay up to watch it on Adult Swim, be tired in the mornings, and probably flunk out of school. That is how awesome it is.

they have most of the episodes on you tube, also there are a bunch of sites that you can download them from, i won't name any of them though...

Tezkat

Quote from: Eibbor_N on October 28, 2008, 04:52:23 AM
I just started watching Onmyō Taisenki yesterday. Has anyone else seen it? Kogenta probably has an appeal for the furry crowd, and the Daoist-based world probably appeals to those among us who like Eastern culture. It's quirky, fun, and involves fighting monsters. Mega score! :D

It think it's rather nice, although I think my favourite character is actually the kids' teacher. |D She's just an interesting, clever character, in my opinion.

Onymou Taisenki is my secret shame. It's such a dumb kiddie show... and I just couldn't stop watching. :dface

Souka no Onishiba (Taizan's shikigami) is easily one of the coolest furries in anime.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Alondro

Quote from: Rakala on October 29, 2008, 06:18:10 PM

Try videobleach.  It has all the stuff and the movies, subtitled.  I hate the English voice-overs.  They got a terrible voice director or something, and I think the same 3 actors are all the voices.  At least that's what it sounds like.   :P 

Of course, it'd be different if Rob Paulsen was the one doing the voices.  Cuz he's like 12 levels of voice-acting awesome.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Rakala

Almost every anime is terrible when dubbed in English.

Another good one.... Record of Lodoss War.

Cogidubnus

Tezkat

Quote from: Alondro on October 30, 2008, 03:50:54 PM
Of course, it'd be different if Rob Paulsen was the one doing the voices.  Cuz he's like 12 levels of voice-acting awesome.   :3

"Gee, Ichigo, what do you want to do tonight?"

"The same thing we do every night, Chad--try to rescue kidnapped girls."

:mowtongue

Quote from: Rakala on October 30, 2008, 03:55:27 PM
Almost every anime is terrible when dubbed in English.

Heh. Dub vs sub wars. That's tantamount to Godwinning an anime thread. :dface

The problem with ADR companies is that most prefer non-union talent and really don't pay their voice actors very much. So the quality is often a bit lacking. And the ones targeting the after school crowd tend to get sanitized/butchered for those poor, sensitive young American viewers. :animesweat

I've been a lot more forgiving of English dubs of late, however. A number of those voice actors are pretty cool people.

Auragonian

Yeah, I want to do voice acting myself one day, heck, maybe someday I'll do an awesome anime if I'm good enough.

Alondro

I think I forgot to mention "Kekkaishi", which I am currently re-watching.  I'm still fascinated by the mystery of Karasumori... what is at its heart?  Is a dying god held there in some sort of suspended animation, as I suspect?  There are a number of clues, but I need to find the manga, which goes well past the series that ended after the defeat of Kokubura.

And also, Gen Shishio had such a tragic death.  He was such a cool character.  And I want his ayakashi form!  That wolf-lion thingee was awesome!   :3

gh0st

totally understood what you just said...

blood+ was kinda iffy, i was more scared of the fact that "holly feakin crap she really did that!?!?" than "oh hey there is, yet, another giant monster thing terrorizing the school that they drew slightly better..."

kekkaishi, wikipedia article says enough, something about it says to me; "don't watch this shiz"

once again, eureka 7 still stands at the top of my list, followed by .hack//, and finally fate/stay nite has been my most recent third place entry.

superluser

Quote from: Tezkat on October 30, 2008, 05:10:55 PMHeh. Dub vs sub wars. That's tantamount to Godwinning an anime thread. :dface

Some dubs can be better than the original.  Example (the video itself is SFW, but some of the comments are not).  As another example, both the German and English versions of The Last Unicorn had Christopher Lee as King Haggard, and you can't go wrong with that.  I'm trying to think of actual examples in anime, but I can't come up with any.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tezkat

Hmm... a dub better than the original in anime?

FUNimation picked up Sunabouzu (Desert Punk), a really fanservicy postapocalyptic show. The English translation is faithful more to the characters than the original writing, and I honestly thought a lot of the dialogue and jokes came out better in the English dub. It's obvious that the cast and crew were having a lot of fun with this one.

Alondro

Quote from: gh0st on November 01, 2008, 04:41:49 AM

kekkaishi, wikipedia article says enough, something about it says to me; "don't watch this shiz"

The wikipedia article overly simplifies the plot.  It gets more and more interesting as it progresses.  The characters develop quite well and the enemies become more intricate and complicated in their powers and goals.

I think it was a great series, which is why I'm watching it over for a third time.   :3

Rakala

Anybody seen "An Ugly Yet Beautiful World"?

JackLee1978

I'm speechless. (Goku's "Super Saiyan Ape Form" in the Dragonball movie)

King Of Hearts

Damn... this is going to be so bad it will be awesome... awesomely bad.

I got to watching some newer stuff again this time

PERSONA: TRINITY SOUL

-I somewhat like this one, nice characters [Jun/Yuki made me "Squee"] and has a creepy asian horror atmosphere at times. [I literally said "Oh **** at some events] Until halfway trough where it experiences what I have come to call "Evagelionism" where the story decides to become confusing for the heck of it. The story is rather simple by the end if you look back, but some character motivations end up not little sense.... also, there is a distinct lack of good fights for this show.

I'd personally put this at a 3.5/5

Also, some new animes that will be aring next season... looking forward to Z Mazinger and Tower of Druaga
http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1226101250964xd3.jpg

Howl

I think good anime is hard to come by, if you make a really strong character in an anime, you have to balance it out somehow. (This does not mean making every other character just as or stronger, I'm looking at you, DBZ)

My favorites

Case Closed
Lupin the 3rd
Bobobo Bo-bobobo
Bakugan
Pokemon

To make it clear, I don't like Dragon Ball Z because...

Quote from: The GameIf this were Dragon Ball Z, the next ten episodes would be about him falling.

It takes too long to finish things, and if Goku were put into pretty much any other anime universe, he'd be grossly overpowered.

*EDIT*
Also, anime effects tend to be REALLY annoying after a while, refer to The List of Anime Laws (http://www.abcb.com/laws/index.htm), because it's true.

Robbychu

There is a startling lack of Kamina-sama in this thread. We need to fix this.

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!!
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is made of hot-blooded, fate-defying, tear-jerking awesome. :) I love it with a buring passion. [/fangirl]

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is pretty good, as is Lucky Star. TALKING ABOUT NOTHING IS AWESOME.

Outside of that, there's Loveless, which I think is fascinating in concept and the art makes me drool.

I liked Outlaw Star too, but I was forced to stop watching by Cartoon Network sabotaging the time. Hey, I was like... ten. Maybe younger. Also, first season of Pokemon, and Dragon Ball. :)

I haven't watched much, overall. I prefer video games to anime for the most part.
THIS POST WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY ALL CAPS. :)

Rheeeeeeeee...

Angel

Ahem.

Hellsing - for an amazing plot, artwork that makes brave men weep, and an English dub that doesn't kill the series.

Yami no Matsuei - in Japanese only. Romantic, slightly scary, and only recommended for girls.

Bleach - I haven't watched all of it yet, but if you can turn an anime into a live-action musical and actually stay running, it must be a good series.

Death Note - Even non-anime fans appreciate it. That is something to be reckoned with. But avoid the English dub if you're a purist. (I'm not, but I do like it a little better in Japanese.)

Read or Die - Bookworms that can kick your ass and still keep their page marked. BAD-ASS.

There's more, but I'll add them later. Turkey.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Eowyn

*warning- fangirl moment*

VVVVVVVOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLTTTTTRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
voltron,  he beat you all :mowhappy

llearch n'n'daCorna

Eowyn, I still get stuck watching your avatar.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Rakala

So it's not just me. That's good to know.

JackLee1978

Quote from: Eowyn on November 30, 2008, 01:17:00 PM
*warning- fangirl moment*

VVVVVVVOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLTTTTTRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
voltron,  he beat you all :mowhappy
Have you seen the original japanese version Beast King GoLion

Plot Summary: Golion, a powerful sentient robot, abuses his great powers by attacking and killing creatures known as Deathblack Beastmen, boasting that no one could defeat him. A divine space being punishes Golion for his arrogance and abuse by seperating him into 5 different lion robots. In the year 1999, a group of 5 young men return to Earth after a space voyage, only to find it ravaged by nuclear war. After encountering the alien race known as the Galra, the 5 youths end up on the planet Altea, and learn that the 5 lion robots that Golion was split into are in hibernation in various parts of Altea. Somehow, they must reunite the lions and form Golion, the only hope for the human race.

Brunhidden

Quote from: JackLee1978 on December 03, 2008, 05:24:39 AM

Have you seen the original japanese version Beast King GoLion

anime that eowyn has seen is limited to - the original 1980s voltron, ah my godess the movie and the original anime series (first disk only, i assume theres at least one more), gokudo, cowboy bebop the movie but not the series, and a small fraction of trigun

despite her only seeing one or two episodes of trigun, she does have a vash/wolfwood wallscroll, hanging up next to her two legolas posters by her bed
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Rakala

Wow, I have not heard about Ah My Goddess for a long time. I've been trying to find DVDs or an online version but have had no luck. All I remember is my friend showing it to me a long time ago. Never did get past the second episode though.

King Of Hearts

Truth be told... I found GoLion lacking as far as Super Robots go... I'd easily pick Voltron over it if it wasn't for the odd censorship. [He's sick... yeah right... sick from getting burned to a crisp.] And for supposedly being this sentient God of Destruction, GoLion has been very very quiet.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: King Of Hearts on December 03, 2008, 08:30:25 PM
Truth be told... I found GoLion lacking as far as Super Robots go... I'd easily pick Voltron over it if it wasn't for the odd censorship. [He's sick... yeah right... sick from getting burned to a crisp.] And for supposedly being this sentient God of Destruction, GoLion has been very very quiet.

Besides, Voltron is so camp as to be completely awesome. Planet DOOOOOOOM.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Rakala

Indeed it is. I always loved "Monster of the Week" shows.