09/22/08 [DMFA #937] - Oh, it's house 234! Silly me.

Started by Chaos, September 21, 2008, 10:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 22, 2008, 08:48:46 AM
It looks very much like a prototype for my commission.  If so, my guess is it's probably Niall.

You would be correct in that assumption good sir. :U

As for the doodles, I tried to cover most of the things that people had donated for.  My favorite is likely rollerblading Matilda if only because I am cruel to my characters and it amuses me everytime I see it.

Quote from: Mwa on September 22, 2008, 05:35:18 AM
Is it just me, or does the bottom right Abel have boobies?

Probably my lack of drawing ability there. Had I drawn the whole figure, it would have shown him actually slightly bent over, thus its got the illusion of more chest there.

As for the scenery. Every so often I try to force myself to draw something that I know I am not gonna like doing.  Scenery is always a biggie for me. I have considered at one point commissioning someone to draw some of the main buildings in DMFA (Lost Lake Inn, Jyrras Mansion, etc) in both floorplan and outside model.  Cause when it comes to scenery, I tend to work a lot better with references.  And it might be helpful and nice to have working floorplans of some of the areas of DMFA.

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 22, 2008, 12:48:10 PM
As for the scenery. Every so often I try to force myself to draw something that I know I am not gonna like doing.  Scenery is always a biggie for me. I have considered at one point commissioning someone to draw some of the main buildings in DMFA (Lost Lake Inn, Jyrras Mansion, etc) in both floorplan and outside model.  Cause when it comes to scenery, I tend to work a lot better with references.  And it might be helpful and nice to have working floorplans of some of the areas of DMFA.

Ah. I was actually planning to try and draw a map of Lost Lake for my next map project. I was going to try and guess where everything was, but I have no idea where it would all go. Well, aside from the Inn being next to the lake, and Mab's grotto being a short walk away - probably in a park - and Jyrras Mansion being a bit away from the Inn (not too much of a walk, but probably at least five or so blocks away) and the shopping mall would be close to the park... and aside from that, I've got nothing. Lost Lake has never struck me as very big, for some reason, though I'm probably wrong.

Unfortunately, my building drawing skills are not at the level you need. Sorry.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Mwa

Probably my lack of drawing ability there. Had I drawn the whole figure, it would have shown him actually slightly bent over, thus its got the illusion of more chest there.

Oh, right.
Also the floor plans for Jyrras' lab would be interesting, as it seems to have the same sort of infinite space properties that were in existence in Dexter's Lab. :U

Jairus

Quote from: Mwa on September 22, 2008, 01:04:41 PM
Also the floor plans for Jyrras' lab would be interesting, as it seems to have the same sort of infinite space properties that were in existence in Dexter's Lab. :U
Maybe Jyrras build a pocket universe and stores his lab in there: the elevator is actually a wormhole leading into an universe that's as large as he needs it to be. Other wormholes will allow for alternate methods of leaving, such as an extra large one for the mecha-gryphon.

Holy hell, I like this idea.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Mwa

Quote from: Jairus on September 22, 2008, 01:11:02 PM
Quote from: Mwa on September 22, 2008, 01:04:41 PM
Maybe Jyrras build a pocket universe and stores his lab in there: the elevator is actually a wormhole leading into an universe that's as large as he needs it to be. Other wormholes will allow for alternate methods of leaving, such as an extra large one for the mecha-gryphon.

Holy hell, I like this idea.
You know, things stop being quite so fun once they're rational. :<

Tapewolf

You would be correct in that assumption good sir. :U
Neat!

I have considered at one point commissioning someone to draw some of the main buildings in DMFA (Lost Lake Inn, Jyrras Mansion, etc) in both floorplan and outside model.  Cause when it comes to scenery, I tend to work a lot better with references.  And it might be helpful and nice to have working floorplans of some of the areas of DMFA.

Well, if you find someone who is up to it, I'd be interested to know who as I could do with something like that for my own strip.  I don't know about you, but in mine, fragments of the base have been planned out, but not an overall picture.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Naldru

Well, I guess the standard layout for an inn would be a three story rectangular building.  The first floor would be the bar, dining room, and hotel lobby.  The second floor would be a long hallway with rooms on each side.  The third floor would be some more rooms, and possibly rooms for employees.  The basement would be storage and of course the living quarters for Abel, Dan, and the rats.  Kitchen and laundry area would be off to one side.

I would think that architectural plans for buildings such as those at the historic area at Williamsburg (Virginia, USA) would be a good start.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Aleolus

Wow.  That second house is definitely much more impressive than the first, but I was expecting it to be a bit bigger, actually >.>

Kipiru

And who is that charming figure in the bottom left corner :love2, maybe Lorenda's hotter cousin or something?

VSMIT

I would actually have been more wary of the first house, as with something as obviously evil as the second house, you're expecting something to happen.  You go into a smaller house like the first, and you see DP getting resurrected: that would be surprising.

Aleolus

Quote from: Kipiru on September 22, 2008, 03:23:20 PM
And who is that charming figure in the bottom left corner :love2, maybe Lorenda's hotter cousin or something?

I don't see the person you're refering to.  Perhaps you could point her out?

Don

Good to see everythings back and running well.

The buildings and doodle pages are fantastic.

I'm interested to see if Pegasus is any differant after being killed, I'd think that would be a big turn off to continue evil plans with someone capable of such wandering about.

I also seem to have caught some odd sickness..so I'll be going back to bed now..

PellaFera

OMG, I'm so glad there's a new page and double-glad Mab is finally back.  Also, is anyone else seeing that picture of sexy!Abel?  It's partially covered by Miss "In Color" on the side.  He looks AWESOME in that pic.  I want to do naughty things to him.  ;)  Also, way to go on the house, Amber.  It rocks.

Wanderer

AmigaDragon

I don't think it looks that much like boobies. When his fur coloring is drawn in, then it looks much more so (the twin peaks of dark chest fur).

Hey, this wasn't bad at all. After all, the place is run down and is going to look rough anyway (as hinted by at least the cracks in the stone fence).

Quote from: Jairus on September 22, 2008, 12:55:28 PM
Ah. I was actually planning to try and draw a map of Lost Lake for my next map project. I was going to try and guess where everything was, but I have no idea where it would all go. Well, aside from the Inn being next to the lake, and Mab's grotto being a short walk away - probably in a park - ...
Mabs home is no longer where it was, it's now in Dan's closet.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Lucheek

Isn't that Aary's old house? o-o

EEE! Sketches!
I like Team Pink and Matilda on Roller-Skates. Apparently, taurs and roller skates don't go together.

Also- I wonder who Miss.In-Color is as well. Looks l ike a goat demon or something. And, what's bothering Bottom-Left Abel?

Naldru

Quote from: Lucheek on September 22, 2008, 07:03:29 PM
And, what's bothering Bottom-Left Abel?
As he mentioned  in the strips, Abel has spent four hundred years developing looking bothered and bored into an art form.

Just a suggestion, though, if you are going to show sketches in the future.  Go into color adjustment and kick up the contrast.  They call it non-reproducible blue for a reason.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Naldru on September 22, 2008, 08:13:20 PM
Just a suggestion, though, if you are going to show sketches in the future.  Go into color adjustment and kick up the contrast.  They call it non-reproducible blue for a reason.

Exactly. I hate showing sketches.  This gives me an excuse not to have to.

Turnsky

Quote from: Naldru on September 22, 2008, 08:13:20 PM
Quote from: Lucheek on September 22, 2008, 07:03:29 PM
And, what's bothering Bottom-Left Abel?
As he mentioned  in the strips, Abel has spent four hundred years developing looking bothered and bored into an art form.

picky picky.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Kenji

I have considered at one point commissioning someone to draw some of the main buildings in DMFA (Lost Lake Inn, Jyrras Mansion, etc) in both floorplan and outside model.

I'd like to see this as well. I still want to draw that SAIA "Where's Waldo" pic.

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 22, 2008, 12:48:10 PMI have considered at one point commissioning someone to draw some of the main buildings in DMFA (Lost Lake Inn, Jyrras Mansion, etc) in both floorplan and outside model.  Cause when it comes to scenery, I tend to work a lot better with references.  And it might be helpful and nice to have working floorplans of some of the areas of DMFA.
you could also try simplified 3d modelers, such as DoGA http://www.doga.co.jp/english/

this way you could do a simple model of the building and render it to use as drawing reference
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Gamma

True, I've used the original Half-Life's version of the Hammer map editor to make simple designs that I thought would be cool. It's free so that's a plus, well free to us who own HL.
Compiling and running the map also was great because I could see the model from any angle I chose, even rotate it with a button press. This all of course took a basic working knowledge of the editor though, nothing very intuitive.

Some didn't workout that well but I could approximate correct textures and get decent details using the large library afforded by the game.
It does take some creativity to use a window shade texture for a sword though.

Hmm. Thinking about it using the HL2 version would be a great idea to make sure a building would actually make sense. Once built and furnished with models you could do a proper walk through. And as long as nothing got too complex you could do a lot of the surrounding buildings. Still too complex to be done easily though.

Uhmm. Crap. Now I wanna go do it!
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

mopman

Woot My favorite sketch ( rollerblading Matilda ) is the same as Amber's , but I dont know to be happy for me or scared for her :mowwink

" Man is the only animal that blushes - Or needs to " Mark Twain

Kipiru

Quote from: Aleolus on September 22, 2008, 03:31:07 PM

It's in the sketch Amber posted in the rant. The only colored character on it.

Dagardo

Quote from: Kipiru on September 23, 2008, 02:38:57 AM
Quote from: Aleolus on September 22, 2008, 03:31:07 PM

It's in the sketch Amber posted in the rant. The only colored character on it.

What of Jyrras and DeathBringer?

Tapewolf

For posterity, the link to the doodles is here:
http://missmab.com/Bonus/Doodles.jpg

...though how long the link remains live is obviously up to Amber.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

!KCA

Turnsky

Quote from: Jack McSlay on September 22, 2008, 09:25:31 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on September 22, 2008, 12:48:10 PMI have considered at one point commissioning someone to draw some of the main buildings in DMFA (Lost Lake Inn, Jyrras Mansion, etc) in both floorplan and outside model.  Cause when it comes to scenery, I tend to work a lot better with references.  And it might be helpful and nice to have working floorplans of some of the areas of DMFA.
you could also try simplified 3d modelers, such as DoGA http://www.doga.co.jp/english/

this way you could do a simple model of the building and render it to use as drawing reference

not quite, DOGA has flaws the more complex you make a model, it slows down drastically.

Edit: Amber, if you can provide some basic pics of lost lake, etc.. i might be able to (when i get around to it) drawing up some reference sketches that you could use yourself.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Jer-oh-me

*Lurking device disabled*

Nothing ever goes easily, that wouldn't be half as entertaining after all!

*Lurking device enabled*

Lego3400