[Story] Furrae Chronicles - Chapter 46 (25/06/2008)

Started by Gareeku, July 09, 2006, 12:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarlOmega1

*Calls for Medic* person down!
Good Chapter, Gareeku...
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Tapewolf

Okay, good stuff as usual.  Also as usual, some tweaks & typos.
Bad news about the end-of-sentence grammar, you can't use a comma at the end  :mowsad so for example "We can't do that," said Jakob. should either be "We can't do that...", "We can't do that!" or "We can't do that.".  Bummer, eh?

Note: This has not actually been done in Chapter 35.

Anyway, I've only seen two glitches:

• "I take it you were the one who was control the succubus we fought." -> 'controlling' or 'in control of'
  • "A lot of use need to be treated for our injuries"
  • -> 'us' not 'use'

Something else has occurred to me, but I think I'll send that by PM as it might be useful to Gareeku.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 18, 2006, 05:36:26 PM
Okay, good stuff as usual. Also as usual, some tweaks & typos.
Bad news about the end-of-sentence grammar, you can't use a comma at the end :mowsad so for example "We can't do that," said Jakob. should either be "We can't do that...", "We can't do that!" or "We can't do that.". Bummer, eh?
Strange, that's exactly the opposite of what my English teacher taught me when I was getting prepared for the First Certificate. According to her, "We can't do that," said Jakob is correct, the 2nd version is incorrect, and the 3rd one is only correct if the sentence ends there (with no said Jakob after it, I mean).
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on July 18, 2006, 05:53:40 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on July 18, 2006, 05:36:26 PM
Bad news about the end-of-sentence grammar, you can't use a comma at the end :mowsad so for example "We can't do that," said Jakob. should either be "We can't do that...", "We can't do that!" or "We can't do that.". Bummer, eh?
Strange, that's exactly the opposite of what my English teacher taught me when I was getting prepared for the First Certificate.
Well, I ran this by my brother's GF who does teach English (among other languages) and that's the answer I got.  Counter-examples are welcome of course.

Gabi

Ok, I've just performed a web search for dialogue punctuation rules and this result was ontop: http://mrbraiman.home.att.net/page25.html

Gareeku

I was taught the same as Gabi in school, so the commas stay. I'll get to fixing the other corrections later. Too tired now. x_x

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on July 18, 2006, 06:34:25 PM
I was taught the same as Gabi in school, so the commas stay. I'll get to fixing the other corrections later. Too tired now. x_x

No problem.  I can see I shall have to have words with Elise. :twisted

Hilary

Great chapter. ^^
Speaking as one whose character is also relatively young/inexperienced, more power to Nero!  :mowmeep

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

James StarRunner

How many angelic blue squirrels are there in this universe? Come on there Pal!

I guess I would have been about 10 when we first met though. Good chapter Gareeku. Nero finally steps up to the plate.

Vaguely Creepy

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 18, 2006, 06:37:44 PM

Uh...now now, no need to be evil. He could have just garbled that particular sentence, maybe.
*scoots away*

Annnnnnyhoo, keep it up, Gareeku. You're doing good. :)

I have two small concerns, though.

It seemed that, while distracted by Gareeku's tranformation, Aisha had been attacked by one of the shadow creatures, inflicting the massive wound upon her in the process.

I think if you changed "attacked" to "badly wounded," you could get rid of the rest of the sentence after "creatures." Then again, it might be better as is.

her blood beginning to pour onto and stain his clothes

I'm not entirely sure, but isn't "pour onto and stain" redundant? It seems like you could get away with just one or the other.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Vaguely Creepy on July 19, 2006, 03:04:56 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on July 18, 2006, 06:37:44 PM

Uh...now now, no need to be evil. He could have just garbled that particular sentence, maybe.

I asked her myself.  Be that as it may, The Silver Wolf doesn't do this, nor does Harry Potter 6, these being the books I've been reading since this grammatical dilemma was drawn to my attention.

Quote from: Vaguely Creepy on July 19, 2006, 03:04:56 AM
her blood beginning to pour onto and stain his clothes

I'm not entirely sure, but isn't "pour onto and stain" redundant? It seems like you could get away with just one or the other.

Use 'stain'.  It sounds nastier.

Gabi

I haven't read The Silver Wolf, but I wouldn't take Harry Potter as a reference. It can be mildly amusing, but not something to be used as a writing guide.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on July 19, 2006, 10:35:35 AM
I haven't read The Silver Wolf, but I wouldn't take Harry Potter as a reference. It can be mildly amusing, but not something to be used as a writing guide.
Of course, but I'll be looking out for all books that use commas in this manner in everything I read subsequently.  Probably for years after this dispute is forgotten  :rolleyes

Hilary

Heh, that's what I was doing today while reading Squire. Commas are used... *commas flash before her eyes* It has begun.  D:

tenlaius

Gareeku

I'd prefer it if you DIDN'T freepost in the thread. I've had a lot on my plate offline at the moment, so there's been a delay in the writing.

tenlaius

sorry v.v

just take all the time you need man, we understand  :mowmeep

Gareeku

ok, i fixed the mistakes in chapter 35 (i think >.>) and finally managed to get chapter 36 done. :mowsmile

Tapewolf

Nice.  I'll read it more thoroughly later on, but that's my first impression :)

Suwako

I'm running out of compliments here, just awsome gareeku.  :mowwink

Paladin Sheppard

Put my two cents in via MSN but again great work! YAY FOR RJ!!  :rj

tenlaius

nice chapter like always
and on that note..

WOOHO!! urban brawl!  sounds like the crew might have some fun  >:3

RJ

Tapewolf

Okay.  Here's some corrections.  AFAICS the first segment is completely correct.  The rest of it, from where Aisha comes round*, has a few typos.

• sluight -> slight
  • beginninng -> beginning
  • appeard -> appeared
  • vaccuum -> vacuum

Queries and optimisations:

• Was Nero red to begin with?  If so, he isn't going to be able to blush...
  • "A little while later, Gareeku, who now dressed in his normal attire, and Paladin were sat on the roof of the hospital" - should probably read "Gareeku, now dressed"
  • "I haven't hurt any allies of mine, but that doesn't mean I ever won't" - that just feels wrong, somehow.  What about "that doesn't mean I never will"?

I think that's it.

*It is unlikely that these two events are related

Gareeku

Tapewolf

Sorry Gareeku, I knew there was one I'd forgotten:

abosrbed -> absorbed

KarlOmega1

Thank goodness all of you are alright...good chapter.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Gabi

I really liked Chapter 36, Gareeku. I liked RJ, and the explanation of her methods, I liked Aisha's reactions, and Gareeku's didn't disappoint me, and I liked the ended to. A well-rounded chapter. I can see you're inspired. ^_^ I'm looking forward to reading the one you're writing now.

Gareeku

Ok, corrections to chapter 36 made, and chapter 37 is now up.