Atheism is a religion

Started by PencilinHand, August 03, 2008, 11:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on August 12, 2008, 08:34:23 PM
The true test of a person character is how they act when the lights have gone out.

Like an animal.

Er. Uh. *shifty look* Er... Look! It's the Goodyear Blimp! *skips out while everyone else is looking the wrong way*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 12, 2008, 08:41:00 PM
The true test of a person character is how they act when the lights have gone out.
Like an animal.

Hmm.. why does the song 'Closer' by Nine Inch Nails suddenly come to mind?

Alondro

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 12, 2008, 08:41:00 PM

Like an animal.

Yay!  Furries!   :boogie
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mowser on August 13, 2008, 07:22:18 AM
Hmm.. why does the song 'Closer' by Nine Inch Nails suddenly come to mind?

The Mario version?

rabid_fox

There'll always be someone to tell the dying man to stop praying and there'll always be someone to tell the dying man to start praying.

He dies anyway.

Oh dear.

Vidar

Quote from: rabid_fox on August 13, 2008, 02:43:18 PM

There'll always be someone to tell the dying man to stop praying and there'll always be someone to tell the dying man to start praying.

He dies anyway.

I would never tell someone to stop praying, lest they do it in my house, or specifically at me.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Alondro

Quote from: Vidar on August 14, 2008, 05:19:55 AM

He dies anyway.

I would never tell someone to stop praying, lest they do it in my house, or specifically at me.

*prays for Vidar*   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

rabid_fox

Quote from: Alondro on August 14, 2008, 04:07:27 PM
Quote from: Vidar on August 14, 2008, 05:19:55 AM

He dies anyway.

*prays AT Vidar*

Oh dear.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: rabid_fox on August 14, 2008, 06:49:21 PM
*prays AT Vidar*

"Oh glorious Vidar, whose metric capacity we are not worthy to calculate, whose sublime intelligence is so far above our own that we poor benighted souls must merely stand in awe, whose feet we are not sufficient to clean with our dirty, dirty tongues, hear us in our hour of need..."

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 14, 2008, 06:52:18 PM
*prays AT Vidar*

"Oh glorious Vidar, whose metric capacity we are not worthy to calculate, whose sublime intelligence is so far above our own that we poor benighted souls must merely stand in awe, whose feet we are not sufficient to clean with our dirty, dirty tongues, hear us in our hour of need..."

"... can you tell us the name for the section between the triglyphs on a classic Greek Doric temple frieze?"

And then Vidar's booming voice emerged from heaven: "Oh, don't grovel! If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people groveling. And don't apologize! Every time I try to talk to someone, it's "I'm sorry" this, and "forgive me" that, and "I'm not worthy"!"

... Sorry, couldn't resist a Monty Python joke. The answer is "metope."
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Vidar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 14, 2008, 06:52:18 PM
*prays AT Vidar*

Oh, please shut up. You're making me blush, even though all of it is true.  :rolleyes

Also, that would be praying to me, rather than at me.
What I mean with people praying at me is more something like some nutter screaming "In Jesus Name, I Pray! You will go to Hell, in Jesus name I Pray!!" etc. For a perfect example of this, go to youtube and search for "god warrior".
I hate that.
Fortunately, I'm not confrontational enough to attract such idiots.

Quote from: Jairus on August 14, 2008, 06:59:16 PM

"… can you tell us the name for the section between the triglyphs on a classic Greek Doric temple frieze?"

And then Vidar's booming voice emerged from heaven: "Oh, don't grovel! If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people groveling. And don't apologize! Every time I try to talk to someone, it's "I'm sorry" this, and "forgive me" that, and "I'm not worthy"!"

… Sorry, couldn't resist a Monty Python joke. The answer is "metope."

Monty Python rules.
* hums "Always look on the bright side of life"*  :boogie

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Vidar on August 15, 2008, 04:07:08 AM

Correct. Alondro prays for you, rabid_fox prays at you, and I pray to you. I thought it was fairly obvious...

Vidar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 15, 2008, 09:59:54 AM
Quote from: Vidar on August 15, 2008, 04:07:08 AM

Correct. Alondro prays for you, rabid_fox prays at you, and I pray to you. I thought it was fairly obvious...

In retrospect it was. Please continue, so I can tell you to stop doing that.  >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Vidar on August 15, 2008, 10:41:28 AM
In retrospect it was. Please continue, so I can tell you to stop doing that.  >:3

"Oh, great Vidar, whose matrices I am unworthy to calculate, and yet whose operating parameters I will, eventually, design, whose shiny blinken forehead light is just so shiny, who can operating in conditions of deepest darkness thereby, who  wears his pyjamas inside out and nobody will argue with him about it, whose eyes watch the moogle, whose dance routine exceeds that of the Riverdance crew combined, whose IQ is immeasurably positive, if barely so, and whose red wings flutter most graciously, look down upon your servant and grant us our wish, which is...

... which is....

... Nuts. Now I've forgotten what it was I was wanting."

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 15, 2008, 10:46:37 AM
"... Nuts. Now I've forgotten what it was I was wanting."

Dead things?  Extra teeth?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Rakala

Has anybody heard of this new religion that's the opposite of agnosticism? Instead of not believing in things that can't be proven, they believe in all things that can't be disproven. They devote a different day of the year to each religion. It's a really weird concept.

Vidar

Quote from: Rakala on August 15, 2008, 10:50:18 AM
Has anybody heard of this new religion that's the opposite of agnosticism? Instead of not believing in things that can't be proven, they believe in all things that can't be disproven. They devote a different day of the year to each religion. It's a really weird concept.

Ehrm, you do realise that thise video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqJpZOljjG8 is satire, right?

Brunhidden

that is criminal abuse of cryptology
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Rakala

Surprisingly that is not the source I got it from.

Prof B Hunnydew

I just realized If you don't believe in God, where do you put my faith in?  Science, Men, or nothing.  It would made it hard not to get up, when one is alone in desperate times.

PBH

rabid_fox

Last night, I had sex with your religion.

Oh dear.

Jairus

Last night, my karma ran over your dogma.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Prof B Hunnydew

That's just Bad karma

Good Karma

Prof B Hunnydew

anthropic theory

When we analyze the constants of natural forces(atomic forces, and gravity, etc.), we find that they are "tuned" very precisely to allow for life.  If the nuclear forces is increase, stars would burn out too fast to give rise to life. or decrease the strength and then stars will not ignite at all.  If gravity is increased, then universe heads to the big crunch quickly.  Gravity decreased the universe expands rapidly to a big dark end.  In fact, there are scores of "accident" involving the cantants of nature that allow life.  Many parameters are all "fine-tuned" to allow for life. So either, we left with the conclusion that there is a God of some sort who has chosen our universe to just right to allow life, or there is billion of parallel universies,(multi-verse), many many of them dead.  As Free Dyson has siad "The universe seemed to know we were coming."

The Anthropic Principle, the weak version simply states that our universe is fine-tuned to support life (because we are here in the first place).  The strong version states that our existence wa by -produce of design or propose.

PBH

Reese Tora

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on August 17, 2008, 09:43:41 AM
anthropic theory

When we analyze the constants of natural forces(atomic forces, and gravity, etc.), we find that they are "tuned" very precisely to allow for life.  If the nuclear forces is increase, stars would burn out too fast to give rise to life. or decrease the strength and then stars will not ignite at all.  If gravity is increased, then universe heads to the big crunch quickly.  Gravity decreased the universe expands rapidly to a big dark end.  In fact, there are scores of "accident" involving the cantants of nature that allow life.  Many parameters are all "fine-tuned" to allow for life. So either, we left with the conclusion that there is a God of some sort who has chosen our universe to just right to allow life, or there is billion of parallel universies,(multi-verse), many many of them dead.  As Free Dyson has siad "The universe seemed to know we were coming."

The Anthropic Principle, the weak version simply states that our universe is fine-tuned to support life (because we are here in the first place).  The strong version states that our existence wa by -produce of design or propose.

PBH

Of course the problem with the anthropic principle is that... there is actually quite a lot of wiggle room for parameters where life in some form could exist.

Also, while the parameters may be perfect for life as it exists NOW, that is because life evolved in that environment, if the parameters were different, that only means that we would not have life as we know it, not necessarily no life.

It's like assuming that a race track was made specifically for a car when that car was really made with performance characteristics that are meant to allow it to perfectly dominate the track.  If you have a differnt track, you get a different car (the difference between NASCAR and the Baja 1000 makes a pretty good example)(yes, the car is designed, but the same example can be made for many species that are evolved to fit a niche outside of which they can no longer survive, the niche is not designed for them, their environment shaped them to fit itself)

This does not preclude a designer who could have designed everything, but there's still no reason to assume there is.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Faerie Alex

If you look at the history of race cars, you can see that they actually have "evolved." For instance, from the early Formula 1 cars like this to modern cars like this one. Yes, as you say, there is a designer, but it follows the same basic principles: good qualities are kept, bad ones aren't, new ones are tried, repeat.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Reese Tora

Quote from: modelincard on August 17, 2008, 05:17:06 PM
If you look at the history of race cars, you can see that they actually have "evolved." For instance, from the early Formula 1 cars like this to modern cars like this one. Yes, as you say, there is a designer, but it follows the same basic principles: good qualities are kept, bad ones aren't, new ones are tried, repeat.

Yeah, but you'll never get the deep creationists to acknowledge the 'evolution' of design that these kinds of things go through.
(then again, you can't even get them to acknowledge that they have no clue how to apply the second law of thermodynamics, either...)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Yugo

Closed systems, baby. And the only truly closed system is the universe itself.
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

Cvstos

Creationists always try to use the second law,
to disprove evolution, but their theory has a flaw.
The second law is quite precise about where it applies,
only in a closed system must the entropy count rise.
The earth's not a closed system' it's powered by the sun,
so [censored...]
That, in a nutshell, is what entropy's about,
you're now down with a discount. -MC Hawking
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Vidar

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on August 15, 2008, 06:53:20 PM
I just realized If you don't believe in God, where do you put my faith in?  Science, Men, or nothing.  It would made it hard not to get up, when one is alone in desperate times.

PBH

This might end up initiating a discussion over the virtue of faith.
I can't speak for other atheists, but I have some faith in science, because it works. It's not perfect, mistakes are made, and sometimes it's outright wrong about something, however, science has shown us more about the universe than any religion has revealed.
I don't have absolute faith in science, and I consider everything it says critically, in so far as I can. Even scientists don't have absolute faith in their own scientific theories. For instance, right now, there is a sattelite orbiting the earth, called "Gravity Probe B" which has the purpose of finding things in gravity that are not explained by current scientific theories. They actively try to disprove their own theories, and in doing so, improve them.

To me, faith is an obstacle, and not a virtue. Some people might get some comfort out of faith, but far too often it is used as an excuse to stop thinking critically, and simply go for the answer "goddidit". I'm opposed to this answer, not just because I don't believe it, or because of my 'lack of faith', but mainly because it doesn't explain anything.

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on August 17, 2008, 09:43:41 AM
anthropic theory

There's an article on the front page of slashdot right now, that suggests that the anthropic principle has been rendered shaky at best. The margins for a workable universe are apparently a lot broader than supposed by the anthropic principle. Of course, this is all hypothetical, because we can't observe other universes at the moment.

On creationist arguments: I've heard a number of them (2nd law of thermodynamics, irriducable complexity, various probability arguments, using the bible as the absolute truth), and they're all easily debunked as nonsense. The 2nd law of thermodynamics applies only to closed systems, and the earth isn't a closed system, and even in a closed system there may be pockets where entropy decreases, like in stellar formation.

There is a long (over an hour, iirc) youtube video of Ken Miller, one of the scientists who testified against the Dover board in the court case "Kitzmiller vs Dover", in which he explains in detail why Intelligent Design is bunk. He also explains what irriducable complexity is, and why it doesn't work, with the creationist favourite, the bacterial flagellum, as his example of why it is false.
I suggest that everyone who has an interest in science clears some time for this, because it really is worth seeing.