Soul Calibur IV

Started by Mao, July 21, 2008, 09:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

So.. anyone else pre-order this one?  I didn't bother with the collectors edition (and that's a first for me) but I have to say I'm looking forward to it anyways.  Especially since I'm getting the PS3 version.  I am oh-so-looking forward to playing as Vader.  Oddly enough none of my housemates are enthused about me getting this game.  I guess I was too hard on them in SCIII.  I think that I'm about to loose a weekend or so of sleep to this game.

Jairus

I've never played any of the Soul Calibur games before, but this game looks really interesting. I am seriously thinking about getting it.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Sunblink

I pre-ordered it. I can't wait for it to come out.  :boogie

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Mao

I figured I'd see you in here Keats.  Which version you getting?  PS3 or Xbox360?

Sunblink

Quote from: Mowser on July 21, 2008, 10:33:37 AM
I figured I'd see you in here Keats.  Which version you getting?  PS3 or Xbox360?

Haha, yeah. XD I was actually fairly surprised to see a topic for Soul Calibur IV here, since I thought there were only a few fans on the forums. But anyway, I'm gonna get the Xbox 360 version because I don't have a PS3 (and I likely won't for a long time until the price goes down, because that price is INSANE, despite the fact MGS4 hangs before me like a piece of candy on a fishing lure). A friend of mine is following suit, so we can play on the multiplayer constantly.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Jairus

If I ended up getting this, I'd have to get the PS3 version since I gave my little brother my 360 (my PS3 can do everything that I was using the 360 for, and I actually play games on it). On the other hand, he certainly won't be getting this game since he prefers sports and racing games.

Mao

Oooh, 360.  Let me know how well Yoda plays.  I kinda wish both were available in each version, but I'm content to simply mooch off of my friends.  Xbox is the only console in this generation that I don't have.  (I even have both of the portables.. I loves my psp and ds.. I loves them good).

VSMIT

I really need to get a PS3...  I feel left out, and I want to play as Vader!  Maybe there's an alternate costume so that Vader is Anakin?  That would be cool.

Mao

Quote from: VSMIT on July 21, 2008, 11:29:14 AM
Maybe there's an alternate costume so that Vader is Anakin?

It's quite likely given that SC games tend to have at least one alternate costume per character.

VSMIT

And they have the custom color costumes, so maybe you could have Anakin's clothing with his Vader mask, or the other way around :)

Stygian

I've always been a mean Kilik-player, and pretty damn good with Voldo too. However, I am still looking around for the best deal I can get on a PS3... Seriously, that monolith is still too damn pricey...

VSMIT

I was good with Seigfried and Zasalamel.  But I haven't played in a while...

Mao

Kilik and Nightmare (with Tira as a very close third).  I'm actually not allowed to play as those first two with my friends anymore. :(

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Mowser on July 21, 2008, 11:54:58 AM
Quote from: VSMIT on July 21, 2008, 11:29:14 AM
Maybe there's an alternate costume so that Vader is Anakin?

It's quite likely given that SC games tend to have at least one alternate costume per character.
it would be amusing to play as vader without the mask  >:3

so it seems I'll have to play as yoda, because there isn't anything that catches me on PS3 (don't care about MGS).

also, I think yoda must be a much harder char to play against than Vader. ever played against gon from tekken?
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

VSMIT

I've played some fighting games where the collision boxes for short characters are as tall as those of the characters of normal height.  Which leads me to believe that this is how they'll handle Yoda.  Because constantly crouching to attack him seems a little bit one-sided.

Sunblink

Speaking of 2-player costumes, I don't know if this has been posted before, but this has most of 'em. The guest characters like Yoda and Vader are sadly absent. The site's in Japanese, but it's just the pictures that matter.

Also, the Soul Calibur Wiki has a lot of information.

no I did not do the Tira article why do you ask. *cough* </lying>

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on July 21, 2008, 03:57:31 PM
Speaking of 2-player costumes, I don't know if this has been posted before, but this has most of 'em. The guest characters like Yoda and Vader are sadly absent. The site's in Japanese, but it's just the pictures that matter.
anyone else find the character named "雪華" (Setsuka, I think) on that page oddly similar to mary poppins?
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Jairus

Quote from: Jack McSlay on July 21, 2008, 04:20:02 PM
anyone else find the character named "雪華" (Yuki  Hanayaka, I think) on that page oddly similar to mary poppins?

:erk
*looks again*

Oh gods above and below if you could have only seen how hard I was laughing just now. That's just too much! If I ever play as her I'm going to break out into Chim-Chimeree, I just know it.

Gareeku

I would order it, but I don't have a PS3 or XBox 360. Can't afford it.

Mao

Sqeehehehehe!  It's almost here!  I wonder if my local EB will let me have it today!

Sunblink

Going to pick it up today, but I decided to cheat and looked up the endings of some of the characters' individual stories in SCIV.

Since people probably don't want to be subjected to spoilers, I won't say anything, but I will say that this game looks awesome. Judging by a few videos showcasing examples of Tira's gameplay, they've changed around her battle style somewhat, which is a little frustrating, considering I was fantastic at using Tira in Soulcalibur III. I hope they didn't change her too radically, to the point I can't regain my footing with her.

Also, DAMN, wtf did they do to her voice? Apparently it's the same voice actress, but the pitch seems much different. She seems much more exaggerated! Ah well. Japanese voice actress is still the same, so I can't really complain, considering I always enjoyed Masumi Asano's voice acting over Jennifer Hale's.

Tira vs. Sophitia Gameplay link
Tira vs. Astaroth Gameplay link

I'm tempted to continue some of my Soulcalibur fanfics...

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Mao

Quote from: Jairus on July 21, 2008, 04:23:47 PM
Quote from: Jack McSlay on July 21, 2008, 04:20:02 PM
anyone else find the character named "雪華" (Yuki  Hanayaka, I think) on that page oddly similar to mary poppins?

:erk
*looks again*

Oh gods above and below if you could have only seen how hard I was laughing just now. That's just too much! If I ever play as her I'm going to break out into Chim-Chimeree, I just know it.

And if you ever played against her.. you'd be singing just before she rammed the sword she hides in that umbrella in your chest with her trade mark lunge while she screams "Too Slow"!

Anyways, I get the feeling that all of the fighting styles have changed quite a bit since the last installment.  They've got more power on this console so it only stands to reason that they'd be playing around a bit.  Besides, I love a challenge.  If all of the moves change it means that my house starts back with a clean slate and I'm not longer the best... and no longer banned from playing my favorites. (Though if I got them in random, it was allowed)  So I'm kinda hoping fora  reset in truth.

Don

*sigh* I want that game so much..but alas i have neither of the systems though i could easily go out and buy a ps3 i have yet to do so..

I was morely a nightmare/Astaroth player in soul calibur three. I so look forward to their advanced forms in number four.

Mao

It was so worth it.  4 hours late for work.  Have to make up the time by saturday... but I don't care.  Only a few minor complaints about the game so far, but otherwise...   :cvheart

Don

*Tempted to ask for spoilers*..

I wonder who the final fight in number four will be, also i wonder what kind of swords darth vader and yoda get after their first..to my knowledge beam sabers only have that one shape..wich is one of my dislikes about starwars..but still it is something that draws my curiosity..

Mao

You won't be getting spoilers out of me, sorry.  However I will say that there looks to be alot of options for character customization, which looks like it can be used in story and arcade mode.  I haven't looked too closely into customizations for Vader yet so I can't tell you what other weapons are available for him but once I get around to that aspect of the game I will certainly post.  Right now I'm focusing on clearing it on normal with everyone at least once, trying to obtain the highest rankings I can.  In most cases I'm getting B, which isn't that great, but there's been a few A's.  No S ranks yet, but I came damn close with Kilik.

Much love for playing as Vader and his critical finish.  My housemates already hate me when I play Vader.. I love it.  They don't hate it as much as they hate Kilik or Nightmare in my hands, but they're not liking the constant quoting from me and the nasty beat downs that are accompanying it.

Jairus

Don

ohh definatly buying a ps3 with my next paycheck...

Mao

Quote from: Jairus on July 30, 2008, 03:00:20 PM
So... worth getting?

Hoo yeah.  Not sad I bought this.  Not sad I bought another controller either.  Oh the beat downs...between this, SSBB and Tekken (3-5, including tag tournament) there is no excuse to not fight.  Though I will push for this to be the most frequently used.

Jairus

I just bought it. When I get a chance, I'll play it and give my impressions as someone who has never played a Soul game before. I get the feeling that I'm in for confusion up the bum.