The DMFA Radio Project

Started by Tezkat, July 08, 2006, 04:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quite honestly, I'm really not sure. All I know is what the HOWTO said.
And on a related note... the more I listen to it... the more I loathe it.

Tapewolf

Certain versions of Sound recorder seem to default to 8-bit recordings, which are frankly, awful.  The recording you've made is 16 bit 22Khz which is perfectly acceptable.
As for the voicing, I must admit it's not really what I had in mind.  Something more like Aary's reaction to Jyrras in #522, like she's just seen the most adorable thing in the world and has to have it at any cost.

I need Kate too, though (#530).  She doesn't say anything in the comic, but just a simple and fairly musical-sounding "Hello!" would be great.  I've got a good one for Dave from Mini-lion although I don't have it to hand.

And a sort of puzzled sound for the 'cubi in #531 would be handy too.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aridas

Then for reference, we might as well say sound recorder's recording/playback format/attribute settings can be changed by going to file > properties. (also, PCM would be the default format for the wav file in sound recorder.)

Sienna Maiu - M T

*fails at life. and ramen*

Yeah, so I really didn't think it worked, so I guess I'll just have to go find the Aary recording to get an idea of what you're talking about. Unfortunately I really don't have a very exciting/excitable voice.

Clearly though I'm atleast not being told; "Sienna take your dollarstore mike and get a life." So this is a plus.

Anyways, I'll go explore this concept further.

Tapewolf

So far I've neglected the Lost Lake section of SAIA arc, mostly because we seem to have lost our Aaryanna.  So I asked Seraline if she'd be interested.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/saia4b_pre1.wav.mp3

Pitch-wise she falls somewhere between Aary and Tigress.  Comments would be welcome..

James StarRunner

I really love Tigress's rendition of Aary, but Seraline's seems to fit too, good recording quality as well...

And it just became obvious to me that I'll have to add Mab's mom and dad to the cast list since they'll likely have some ad-lib.

Gah! And I'm off again! I've got to move some stuff into my new apartment before I go to work.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hmm. I should strip out the entire list of speaking parts from the scripts.

*codecodecode*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 28, 2006, 01:30:11 PM
Hmm. I should strip out the entire list of speaking parts from the scripts.

*codecodecode*

Talking of scripts, where are they located?  Flawed Perception isn't working today, and I forgot to take offline copies.

I was wondering if you'd moved it elsewhere or something.

llearch n'n'daCorna

No, just restarted the box, and the startup scripts are, for historical reasons, not complete. Should work now. Sorry about that, there's a more permanent fix in the works, RSN.

insanekaosx

It seems the house has emptied for the first time in a while today, I'll try and get some'a those new comics down, angry sounds, and whining sounds *looked back through the thread, seems to be what I was needing*

I'll also take a look at the cast list, see whats empty, do some random stuff for fun.

And then Abel's Story if I get time >>

And James? Not to be a pest, but everytime I look on the lsit, it jsut glares at me. Its Kaos, not Chaos ^^;;

edit> And here we go. The two latest comics with Abel in them, and a couple redone. Plus the following, which I grabbed from James's cast list as free >> If they aren't, feel free to ignore them:
-Norman the grenade wielding squirrel from 67
-the second Jehova's Witness from 114
-dude from 188*not very well done, but hey, can't blame me for trying :P*
-off-panel demon thing from 193 (With a little tweaking to the sound, a minor echo)
-vacationing agent in 453

Abel Stuff: http://www.box.net/public/vsznaheg6h
Non Abel stuff: http://www.box.net/public/k0j7jehhqi

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on August 28, 2006, 01:54:03 PM
And James? Not to be a pest, but everytime I look on the list, it just glares at me. Its Kaos, not Chaos ^^;;

Erk, fixed it on my end.  Not sure about James.  I keep calling you 'Insane' anyway... what would you prefer as your handle?

Now, the recordings.  I haven't checked the non-Abel ones yet.  We pronounce 'warp-aci' as "Warp A.C.".  Amber actually says it should be more like 'Ah-see' but we've picked one and we're sticking with it :)

Abel's breakdown is a lot better but the voice still lacks that absolute "keep it away from me!!" panic.  I'll give it a go myself unless I forget again, but not tonight.

insanekaosx

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 28, 2006, 07:15:12 PM
Quote from: insanekaosx on August 28, 2006, 01:54:03 PM
And James? Not to be a pest, but everytime I look on the list, it just glares at me. Its Kaos, not Chaos ^^;;

Erk, fixed it on my end.  Not sure about James.  I keep calling you 'Insane' anyway... what would you prefer as your handle?

Now, the recordings.  I haven't checked the non-Abel ones yet.  We pronounce 'warp-aci' as "Warp A.C.".  Amber actually says it should be more like 'Ah-see' but we've picked one and we're sticking with it :)

Abel's breakdown is a lot better but the voice still lacks that absolute "keep it away from me!!" panic.  I'll give it a go myself unless I forget again, but not tonight.

i'm hoping for the best for an empty house tommorow as well, so i'll give those another go for ya. The non-Abel ones were just for fun, so don't rush yourself to check'em out or anything.

I've grown oddly accustomed to your refering to me as Insane, so call me what you will. The full is InsaneKaos as need, but beyond that Kaos is the norm, but Insane works just as well.

llearch n'n'daCorna

FWIW, the scripts have all been updated, and now contain a list of the people within, along with the number of lines they read in this particular script, in order of appearance.

Any takers? Objections? :-)

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 28, 2006, 08:53:30 PM
FWIW, the scripts have all been updated, and now contain a list of the people within, along with the number of lines they read in this particular script, in order of appearance.

Any takers? Objections? :-)

Couple of tweaks:

* 'Jard's Girl' is called Messafint (or Mezzafint, I'm not sure which Amber's settled on).

* In 548, Abel should say "Metamorphosis class?"

It would be nice to have the strip numbers in the list at the top, but not essential.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Messafint has been added. If it becomes Mezzafint, let me know. :-)

And yes, in 548, he *should* say metamorphosis. However, what he actually says is "metaphorphis", which admittedly I didn't have there either - I don't claim to be a perfect typer, so there have been a few of these sorts of typos showing up. However, I've made a conscious decision to avoid changing what Amber has written to what *I* think is correct, on grounds of it's not my work. If the group as a whole agrees to changes, I'll make em, no worries, but I have left a few deliberate "errors" in there because that's what Amber wrote. *shrug*

I realise that she's probably aware of these, and might like to fix them, but, as I said, it's not my work, and hence it's not within my rights to screw around with it. Call it a sense of responsibility towards the group, if you will. :-)

Having said all that - did you want me to change it to metamorphosis, then? I mean, for all I know, Amber has some deep evil plan to make "metaphorphis class" into something that will be a big joke, 6 months down the track... :-) "Oh, we call it that because the professor can't spell." or something equally daft :-)

Finally - what do you mean by "strip numbers at the top" ?

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 29, 2006, 08:10:02 AM
And yes, in 548, he *should* say metamorphosis. However, what he actually says is "metaphorphis", which admittedly I didn't have there either - I don't claim to be a perfect typer, so there have been a few of these sorts of typos showing up. However, I've made a conscious decision to avoid changing what Amber has written to what *I* think is correct, on grounds of it's not my work. If the group as a whole agrees to changes, I'll make em, no worries, but I have left a few deliberate "errors" in there because that's what Amber wrote. *shrug*

Granted, but it gets weird when people have to say it.  As it happens, Insane has pronounced it 'metamorphosis' anyway (now that I am on my home machine with all the samples).

QuoteHaving said all that - did you want me to change it to metamorphosis, then? I mean, for all I know, Amber has some deep evil plan to make "metaphorphis class" into something that will be a big joke, 6 months down the track... :-) "Oh, we call it that because the professor can't spell." or something equally daft :-)

Well in that case, we can either change Abel retroactively, or simply ignore the first instance - it's not like people are going to remember the typo anyway.  I didn't, and I still have most of the DMFA storyline on call...

QuoteFinally - what do you mean by "strip numbers at the top" ?

In the new section where the characters are listed in order of appearance, I was thinking it would be handy to list the strip number next to them.  If that's not too much effort to achieve...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah. The strip in which they appear. Hmm. Um. That means recoding the script I wrote to write all that completely.

I'll think about it. Not sure, it may take me a while to figure out what I need to do.

Edit: Hmm. Well, that was easier than I expected. Is that about what you wanted, Mr Tapewolf?

insanekaosx

For the record, if there is a typo, I often don't even see it and just read over it, instead seeing the word its suppsoed to be usually. I make so many typos  of my own that its become habit.

Nerikull

Not sure if there has been a descision on who plays Dr Ink (yeah, I'm lazy and haven't looked) but I'm in the process of making a few clips for consideration. Likely will sound like crap until I give in and buy a good mic.  :mowmeep

Can't wait to hear how this whole thing will turn out. I loved the "Warrior for Hire" program, that was great!

--Neri
--Nerikull Murakami
"When life hands you lemons, chuck them back until life hands you the winning lottery ticket!"

llearch n'n'daCorna

At the moment, I believe Tapewolf is using voices by Tezcat for Ink.

I could be wrong, however, and if someone else wants to come forward and can make a better voice, they're all ears. Both of them, no less - Tez has said he'll be happy to be ousted, as he's already covering a number of other voices...

Actually.. TW, you reckon I should do the basement rats? One of, at least? :-)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Nerikull on August 29, 2006, 06:42:37 PM
Not sure if there has been a descision on who plays Dr Ink (yeah, I'm lazy and haven't looked) but I'm in the process of making a few clips for consideration. Likely will sound like crap until I give in and buy a good mic.  :mowmeep

I'd like to hear them - even if we don't use it (which to be honest is quite likely unless you can beat Tezkat) it should help with future casting.  I actually ran a poll in the art forum about who should play the part.  It was a heat between Ink himself and Tezkat.. but since Ink hasn't submitted a recording, it fell to him.  And I must admit I do now prefer his recordings to mine.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 29, 2006, 06:47:56 PM
Actually.. TW, you reckon I should do the basement rats? One of, at least? :-)

Aaah, the rats, the rats..  I can't for the life of me remember which we have recordings for and which we don't.  Not least because they have no names.  With Jy's sisters, I encouraged people to record all the parts, so that I could pick and choose.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 29, 2006, 03:08:36 PM
Edit: Hmm. Well, that was easier than I expected. Is that about what you wanted, Mr Tapewolf?

Yes, that's great.  Now - is there a way to grab them all off the server, e.g. with wget?

llearch n'n'daCorna

You want the full set of scripts and cast? Or the complete cast listing?

Let me know, and I'll ... uh.. Ok, so it's done already. :-)

edit:
Ah. All updated, now. And the scripts, so future updates are much easier...

Zedd

I know this radio thing seems hard

Tapewolf

We're going to need cameos for Mab's parents, and probably the escaping patrons as well.  Perhaps something like "SOUP!!!"  "NO!!!!  SALAD!"?  Any takers?

And I'll have to prod Blade about the Fa'lina recordings and/or do them myself as a stopgap.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'll see what I can manage. I expect I'll end up taking female parts, as usual... :-)

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 03, 2006, 11:53:55 AM
I'll see what I can manage. I expect I'll end up taking female parts, as usual... :-)

If in doubt, do both :twisted

We need to try and write some dialogue for Aary and Fa'lina at some point soon :(

James, is there any chance of more Alexsi recordings at some point?  We don't have enough to cover 'Disasters' completely, let alone the SAIA/Life Is Wonderful arc.

**EDIT**
No update tonight, I'm afraid - I've been working hell for leather on a new DMFA song.  I'll see what I can do tomorrow..

Zedd

I dont know if my voice would be good enough cause its loud and deep

llearch n'n'daCorna

*updates the scripts and webpage*

I shoudl listen to some of the pre-recorded stuff and bring that up to date, shouldn't I? :-/

Zedd

I wonder what char be best suited for a normal deep voice

Tapewolf

Quote from: Zedd on September 04, 2006, 12:50:16 PM
I wonder what char be best suited for a normal deep voice

How about the mythos in #530?

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 04, 2006, 11:46:58 AM
*updates the scripts and webpage*

I should listen to some of the pre-recorded stuff and bring that up to date, shouldn't I? :-/

That would probably be an idea :)