The DMFA Radio Project

Started by Tezkat, July 08, 2006, 04:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tezkat

THE DMFA RADIO PROJECT

The DMFA Radio Project is a (wholly unofficial) audio play adaptation of everyone's favourite webcomic by Amber M. Williams (nee Panyko). It features the voice work of many talented DMFA forumites and an awesome original soundtrack by J P Morris. We started nearly two years ago and are still going strong!

The original thread (all 1200+ posts!) lives here on llearch's mirror of the old Nice forums.

Want to hear us? Check out Daniel Ti'Fiona, Warrior for Hire (25 MB, 22 minute MP3). You can find it and many works in progress on J P Morris's web site. He also has a HOWTO with tips on recording for the project.

James StarRunner's site mirrors many of the files. It also contains a (nearly) complete cast list. That's the place to go if you're interested in helping out. Most of the main characters have already been cast, but your voice can still be immortalized in one of the many, many minor roles, and we do occasionally need to replace actors who have, for whatever reason, dropped out of the project.

Text versions of the script are available on llearch's site.

LATEST NEWS/UPDATES

May 2, 2007

Finally fixed the links to the old forum thread and script files. See? I told you I fail at updating. :animesweat

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tezkat

Hmm... nice place. It could use a bit of redecorating, though, and maybe some comfy old threads to make it feel more like home.  ;) I wasn't quite sure whether this thread belonged here or in that Tower of Art thingy. I suppose the admins could always move it if necessary.

Anyone have suggestions on how best to preserve the original thread? Cutting and pasting it here seems a bit silly--I doubt we want to inflict a multi-megabyte load on anyone visiting this thread. Perhaps we should take a print view snapshot and mirror it somewhere?

Uh... I'm still me for the time being.  :rolleyes I see that JP changed his name to tapewolf. Everyone else, give a shout when you arrive!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on July 08, 2006, 04:22:44 PM
Hmm... nice place. It could use a bit of redecorating, though, and maybe some comfy old threads to make it feel more like home.  ;) I wasn't quite sure whether this thread belonged here or in that Tower of Art thingy. I suppose the admins could always move it if necessary.

Hi Tezkat, and thanks for creating the thread.  I was going to do it myself when things were a bit more settled.  I was under the impression there would be a DMFA art section, which it probably wants to go in rather than the central forum.
I'm not sure it really belongs among the freaky vampire stuff :D

As for the original thread, I've been archiving it myself.  I'm not entirely sure how best to present it, but I guess I could convert it into a series of pages on the IT-HE system.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Poofyspikes

Tezkat

Quote from: tapewolf on July 08, 2006, 04:32:57 PM
I was under the impression there would be a DMFA art section, which it probably wants to go in rather than the central forum.
I'm not sure it really belongs among the freaky vampire stuff :D

Yeah. I wonder if they'll do that though--given their reaction to Azlan's request to split off the RP board. Most of the "DMFA" fan art back on the old forums was actually "forumite" art anyway. Ah well, I figure it's better to get moved in early before the crowds arrive.  We can sort out the details later. ;)

QuoteAs for the original thread, I've been archiving it myself.  I'm not entirely sure how best to present it, but I guess I could convert it into a series of pages on the IT-HE system.

Yeah, that might be a good way to do it. I've been grabbing "printer friendly" pages every now and then, myself. I don't quite have the patience to save 50 pages one at a time. :rolleyes I imagine that an archive would mostly be for the benefit of us old folks, though. I can't see all that many newbies wading through 1000+ posts... 

Any suggestions on FAQ type stuff that could go in the intro post for the benefit of anyone just discovering our little project?

Tapewolf

Okay, here's the first test release in the new place.
This is V2 of 'Trapped In SAIA', i.e. DMFA #504-#512.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/trapped_in_saia2.mp3

The two main improvements are:

• Kaos as Abel
  • Rerecorded score, now augmented by my Cheetah during the horrific section, and with the Hammond more-or-less staying in tune

I'm still undecided about the dressing game, it won't work on audio, but I do have all the parts.  Perhaps I could cue through it or use some other gratuitous tape trick.

*EDIT*
Tezkat, the 'HOWTO' is a kind of proto-FAQ.  If we can collect some more stuff to go into it, I'll modify it or something.

Amber Williams

Word of wise.  Please don't dismiss the art section as full of "freaky vampire art"

Especially when a good chunk of the our own artists here often have to be told they draw "freaky furry art"

We're sharing a forum and art section with a comic that has Castlevania in its name. And I'm a comic that has the word Furry in its name.  Yes, there are difference of style and interests, but it doesn't mean either have to be segregated to be enjoyed.

If anything, there is a greater risk that our forum will end up dominating and scaring off people...which is why I really want to stress now to keep a friendly attitude.

Anyways...once the forum has been settled, I'll decide where to stick this thread.  In the meantime I don't have an issue with it being here.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Panyko on July 09, 2006, 08:39:38 AM
Word of wise.  Please don't dismiss the art section as full of "freaky vampire art", especially when a good chunk of the our own artists here often have to be told they draw "freaky furry art"
Oh, indeed.  I don't really have a problem with it, and as you say, it's a matter of taste.  It's just that I was kind of expecting all the DMFA stuff to be grouped together to keep it within context.  Mixing the two up just seems a little strange, somehow..

Quote from: Amber Panyko on July 09, 2006, 08:39:38 AMIf anything, there is a greater risk that our forum will end up dominating and scaring off people...which is why I really want to stress now to keep a friendly attitude.

Quote from: Amber Panyko on July 09, 2006, 08:39:38 AMAnyways...once the forum has been settled, I'll decide where to stick this thread.  In the meantime I don't have an issue with it being here.

Noted.

blade

I shall be relocating my microphone so I can do some more for Fa'lina (its getting a little frustrating for me that every time I get into the mood for it, either work rears its ugly head or I get something that affects my voice.)

Nikki

i would offer my voice once again, but it depends..

*is bored*

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Hilary

Hello, all. Happy new board and all that.

SAIA V2 sounds great-- Kaos, your voice reminds me of Malfoy's for some reason (Sorry! No more HP references, I swear.) ^^

Hey, I'm Undead. That's fun. *bites*

Tapewolf

Quote from: blade on July 09, 2006, 04:15:05 PM
I shall be relocating my microphone so I can do some more for Fa'lina (its getting a little frustrating for me that every time I get into the mood for it, either work rears its ugly head or I get something that affects my voice.)
Hi Blade, that would be much appreciated.  I'd like to reissue the #424 set with Kaos as Abel, and it would be nice to have a new set of Fa'Lina recordings as the later ones in that clip have a few bumping noises and stuff which I couldn't quite remove.
I do love the "What did you do this time?!?" line though, so it would be nice if the new ones matched it (voices tend to drift, compare the early Dan recordings with the latest ones).

blade

Thanks, and here's for hoping that my voice holds up for it.  I'll try to get something in this week.

*stalks the hidden mike*

llearch n'n'daCorna

*cough* *typetypetype* we're up to, I think, 292 or so. Arc 14, anyway. Although 13 wasn't much...

Did anyone else want to do any of this typing up, or are you all leaving me to it? :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch on July 10, 2006, 08:39:35 AM
*cough* *typetypetype* we're up to, I think, 292 or so. Arc 14, anyway. Although 13 wasn't much...

Did anyone else want to do any of this typing up, or are you all leaving me to it? :-)

Um, I was kind of leaving you to it.  You're doing a good job, though.
And since we don't have the URL on the board, this is what we're talking about:

http://flawed.perception.co.nz/radio/

Jack McSlay

new topic, new thread, and now my sis stopped stealing my mic for her band's rehersal...

life is good
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tezkat

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 10, 2006, 02:31:44 PM
Um, I was kind of leaving you to it.  You're doing a good job, though.
And since we don't have the URL on the board, this is what we're talking about:

http://flawed.perception.co.nz/radio/

I was deliberately waiting until I shifted my server (I shifted house last week, and the server is still at the old house since the internet wasn't connected here yet until yesterday. I still have some cable to run and a basement to dry out before I can set everything up.) *cough*

So there will be some outages over the next week or so, hopefully.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

As I may have mentioned to a few people, I'm taking a short break with family and thus have no access to my main system and studio.  So there won't be an update this weekend.
However, new recordings would still be handy. :)

James, if possible, can you try to record Dan's voice for #165?  Preferably close to the style of the original recordings from the DvP arc?
If you can budget the time it might be nice to redo them all as some of the earliest recordings are kind of noisy, but that's not a priority.
If you can do Dan's voice for 165, I'll reissue the warrior-for-hire set with that added.
Cheers,

RynSerenity

Hey, JP- I mean, Tapewolf. I'm so sorry I haven't been around to do any recordings. Do you still need me to do any voicing for HollyAnn and/or Mezzafint? I'm fairly sure that my mic has finally been fixed.
:mowhappy

James StarRunner

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 14, 2006, 06:30:11 PM
James, if possible, can you try to record Dan's voice for #165?  Preferably close to the style of the original recordings from the DvP arc?
If you can budget the time it might be nice to redo them all as some of the earliest recordings are kind of noisy, but that's not a priority.
If you can do Dan's voice for 165, I'll reissue the warrior-for-hire set with that added.
Cheers,
I'll try sometime. I'm getting readjusted right now. I got the internet back faster than I thought I would. Still cleaning stuff up in my new workspace since I had to move my computer. Much a mess...

insanekaosx

Quote from: Hilary on July 10, 2006, 03:43:18 AM
Hello, all. Happy new board and all that.

SAIA V2 sounds great-- Kaos, your voice reminds me of Malfoy's for some reason (Sorry! No more HP references, I swear.) ^^

Hey, I'm Undead. That's fun. *bites*

How dare you compare me to such scum! Heh, jsut messin' with ya, odd connection, but I haven't watched an HP movie in too long to really remember his voice.

*dodges the bite, and adds a light bap with his NES-chucks* Nice meetin' ya!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryn Serenity on July 15, 2006, 10:33:47 PM
Hey, JP- I mean, Tapewolf. I'm so sorry I haven't been around to do any recordings. Do you still need me to do any voicing for HollyAnn and/or Mezzafint? I'm fairly sure that my mic has finally been fixed.
:mowhappy
J.P. is fine (or it wouldn't be in the sig).  Hollyann has been taken care of by Hilary, but we do still need a voice for Mezzafint, if you're willing.  We'll also need RJ, but our first choice should be her if possible.

Paladin Sheppard

Well if she (RJ) gets around to installing the soundcard I sent her you just might!

RJ

*shakes a fish at Pal* Yes, I know, I know!!!

insanekaosx

And as I intended to add earlier, I'm very sorry I haven't been recording much lately, >< I'll get to some later today if I have time.

RynSerenity

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 16, 2006, 04:28:54 AM
J.P. is fine (or it wouldn't be in the sig).  Hollyann has been taken care of by Hilary, but we do still need a voice for Mezzafint, if you're willing.  We'll also need RJ, but our first choice should be her if possible.

Sure, I can do Mezzafint's voice, and maybe some temporary RJ stuff, if you want it.

insanekaosx

I will glady redo all of these, since they're badly done, and were with my dad's laptop again so not a great mic.

Will edit this with the files as soon as the internet stops hating me >> its only 6mb, its not that much!

http://home.comcast.net/~galaxyguy/537-541.zip

There ya go

RJ

Quote from: Ryn Serenity on July 16, 2006, 01:23:11 PM
Sure, I can do Mezzafint's voice, and maybe some temporary RJ stuff, if you want it.

I don't mind at all if you want to do that for RJ :3