The DMFA Radio Project

Started by Tezkat, July 08, 2006, 04:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm sorry, I'm only up to strip 638 or so. On the upside, my anter-net at home is looking on to being put back online this evening.

Or at worst in a couple of days.

Oh, yes. And Abel's Story is scripted. The only problem is, there are lots of segments where I can't figure out who is saying what - the scene with the sisters, for example. Or, rather, all three of them. At least once, we know Ellen just spoke - since the next person tells her to be nice - but we don't know what other lines were hers.

I'm almost pondering listing in the notes which scripts need attention for that... In fact, that's probably a good idea... Wait for the next version visible.. :)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on July 25, 2006, 11:04:25 AM
Eh, don't bother yourself. I'll just record everything. I need soemthign to do anyways >>

jpmorris@seaharrier:~/missmab/audio/cast/insanekaosx$ ls
424v1.wav  426v2.wav  511.wav  518.wav    538v2.wav   541v2.wav  550.wav
424v2.wav  506.wav    512.wav  519.wav    538.wav     541.wav    608.wav
424v3.wav  507.wav    513.wav  523.wav    539v2.wav   542.wav    609v1.wav
424.wav    508a.wav   514.wav  524.wav    539.wav     545.wav
425v1.wav  508b.wav   515.wav  525.wav    540v2b.wav  547.wav
425v2.wav  509v1.wav  516.wav  537v2.wav  540v2.wav   548.wav
426v1.wav  509v2.wav  517.wav  537.wav    540.wav     549.wav
jpmorris@seaharrier:~/missmab/audio/cast/insanekaosx$

..I believe that's all of them.  There might be a few misfiled somewhere (still kicking around in the root, and so on)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

insanekaosx

Excellent, I haven't done anythign twice yet! Well, not with the latest recordings at least.

Will edit with lines 551-600 as soon as they finish uploading. EDIT> That is, if it will upload without any errors ><
EDIT again> So box.net decided to be screwy again, oh well. I tried out yousendit.com to send it to ya JP, lemme know how that goes

llearch n'n'daCorna

Right. My server is now back up and running, and *should* be accessible.

It has scripts up to strip 649.

If anyone has any comments to make on those, please feel free...

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on July 25, 2006, 05:07:58 PM
Excellent, I haven't done anythign twice yet! Well, not with the latest recordings at least.

Will edit with lines 551-600 as soon as they finish uploading. EDIT> That is, if it will upload without any errors ><
EDIT again> So box.net decided to be screwy again, oh well. I tried out yousendit.com to send it to ya JP, lemme know how that goes

Never heard of that - was it supposed to send an email?  If so it might have got lost in the spam.  You might need to do it again :(

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 25, 2006, 09:56:50 PM
Right. My server is now back up and running, and *should* be accessible.

It has scripts up to strip 649.

If anyone has any comments to make on those, please feel free...

Has it moved?  'cause if it's still at Flawed Perception, I can't get at it..

insanekaosx

Hilary

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 24, 2006, 04:15:34 PM
The amethysts line from the recent comics might be handy.
Here ya go.
http://rapidshare.de/files/27125452/664_amethysts.wav.html
*pounces on the 'Princes of the Dreams' thread*  :3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 26, 2006, 08:47:27 AM
Has it moved?  'cause if it's still at Flawed Perception, I can't get at it..

Dammit. Gateway fell over, dropped the webserver...

Back up now. If it's still not visible, drop me a line and I'll go see if I can figure out what's misconfigured...

Netami

I can see it. Now I can go back to spying on all your crap.  :mowninja

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 26, 2006, 06:30:37 PM
Dammit. Gateway fell over, dropped the webserver...
Back up now. If it's still not visible, drop me a line and I'll go see if I can figure out what's misconfigured...

Yep, it's all there.

insanekaosx

http://www.box.net/public/020es0efpq

602-620. 601 got missed in the transfer between computers, will put it up with next batch

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on July 26, 2006, 11:06:03 PM
http://www.box.net/public/020es0efpq

602-620. 601 got missed in the transfer between computers, will put it up with next batch

You might want to double-check that URL.. it doesn't seem to work.  I've just listened to the others, though - one or two of them could stand a little improvement, but they're pretty good.

Here's a few possible improvements:

* 577 - Abel should sound more sinister or at least angry.. he's just announced he's going to kill Merlitz

* 576 - The 'Ack!' at the end is good, but I had more in mind a sort of soft 'uh' sound.  I could probably make one, though.

* 584 - 'I'm not touching you' sounds a little flat.  It should be more musical.  The second one is better, but I can do a recording if you want a reference.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 27, 2006, 04:31:27 AM
Scripts are done!

Woot! :-)

Excellent.  Next time I do a Merlitz recording (or fill) I'll be able to use yours.

insanekaosx

See, when I first did "I'm not touching you!" I did do it slightly musically without thinking >> But I kinda shoot myself down whenever I start singing at all. *At least, outside of randomness*

I'll redo those and reupload the latest files

http://www.box.net/public/mn6hz3xzyd  should work now

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on July 27, 2006, 09:43:31 AM
See, when I first did "I'm not touching you!" I did do it slightly musically without thinking >> But I kinda shoot myself down whenever I start singing at all. *At least, outside of randomness*

I'll redo those and reupload the latest files

http://www.box.net/public/mn6hz3xzyd  should work now

Okay.  Here's some suggestions and also a couple of problems:

* 607: Problem: "Awry" is pronounced "a-rye" not "arry", "spiders" is unclear, sounds like "fighters".

* IMHO, 615 should sound more silky, like he's trying to seduce Jyrras  (Dan should sound kind of dead, but that's not your line).

* 618: Problem: It's clipping badly when he shouts.  Do you think you could do just that bit again a few times, further away from the mic?  I can increase the volume my end, but if it clips, I can't really use it.

Everything else is good.  We just need Dan's lines for this section.

Hilary, do you want to do Lorenda in 615?  I'd forgotten about that.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 27, 2006, 06:55:02 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 27, 2006, 04:31:27 AM
Scripts are done!

Woot! :-)

Excellent.  Next time I do a Merlitz recording (or fill) I'll be able to use yours.

... of course, I'm still skipping through them the second time to fill in and make them consistent - or, more consistent. Adding "narrator" to the quotes, and guessing who says wot in the square boxes, that sort of thing. Adding SFX - many of the later ones already have the SFX actor there,  but the earlier ones don't. So I'm touching those up.

Sooner or later the index page will also have a list of where I'm not sure who's talking - the Gianna girls, for example, or where the pokemons are shouting from offstage, or that sort of thing. I'm happy for someone to argue over any of the choices I've made, and I'll try to remember to document where those choices are, so that it's obvious where I've differed from the "canonical" version, as it were.

I should probably investigate RCS or something for the folder where I have this stuff stored, I think...

insanekaosx

Fun stuff to rework, sounds good. I'll get to it!

Hilary

llearch n'n'daCorna

Woot. Subversion rawks.

... and deals with local repositories -extremely- well - much better than I expected. Which means, since I use svn all the time, I now have a chunk of my website in svn, as I make changes. I shall probably add other sections as I work on them - there being images and stuff that shouldn't be in the repository :-)

Neat stuff. :-) I'll stop boring you all about now, then :-)

Tapewolf

The problem of Ink aside, does anyone want to try their hand at Nirfy?

And yes, SVN does rock unless you have people who don't really use it properly.  It also goes wildly wrong if you forget yourself and delete things manually.  And it's not much fun if you're in charge of the system and you don't know what to do when it goes wrong..

**EDIT**
Insane, if you're looking for something to do, I couldn't entirely remove the noise on 518 and 519.  Do you think you could redo those at some point?

Damien Holtz

I must say, I listened through the H-Ann storyline episode and some of the voice acting was really amazing. Most notably James StarRunner's performance as Dan... Cheers! :U

Just a bit of mindless compliment from teh me. :B And lament because I don't have a good enough microphone to be in it D:

Tapewolf

Quote from: Damien Holtz on July 29, 2006, 06:33:22 PM
I must say, I listened through the H-Ann storyline episode and some of the voice acting was really amazing. Most notably James StarRunner's performance as Dan... Cheers! :U

Thanks.  The Warrior-for-Hire arc is mostly comprised of older recordings.  Some of the stuff he's done more recently in the SAIA arc is really jaw-dropping, IMHO.

Just a bit of mindless compliment from teh me. :B And lament because I don't have a good enough microphone to be in it D:

I think James uses some $10 Labtec mic or something.  I think it's mostly just Tezkat and I with the semi-professional setups.

Damien Holtz

Also, listening to the Aaryanna arc, I noticed...

NOOO! YOU TOOK OUT THE SCARY CRAZY NECRONOMICON CTHULHU CHANT! :<

You know the one where Wildy goes 'Phinglui mgl'nahf Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn'? That's the Cthulhu thingy. Instead there's some strange backwards-played thing, which works fine too of course, but I'll always be a follower of Cthulhu by heart. :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Damien Holtz on July 29, 2006, 06:56:35 PM

Ask Miaka about that - I even told her how to pronounce the stuff :(

I was working off the pronunciations from the talkie version of 'Alone In The Dark', although if someone knows how to pronounce it all properly, that would be handy.

Much of Wildy's lines for that segment will have to be redone anyway because they were in various states of distortion, a problem she seems to have recovered from now :)

James StarRunner

Whoo hoo! Maybe I can make it into cheap english dubs of anime!

Actually, I think a number of our team could actually have a decent career as voice actors. I'm not sure if my performance in that episode would be good enough for a professional studio, but I have improved since like Tapewolf said.

As for the mic, I had a cheap $10-$20 labtec mic (and used it for most of my lines in that ep.), but since moved to an Andrea NC-8 headset I got for free (forgot who gave it to me... Aghhh!) and I don't think that's a top of the line mic either. I mostly just have to speak up to overcome the background noise, but it just goes to show that anyone can still work in this project.

Aridas

I think one of the main culprits of background noise is having the microphone volume set too loud. My own microphone, I can speak directly into it at close range and still manage a loud voice, with the volume set low enough for background noise to be nonexistent. That may not work for everyone (microphones and stuff have those little quirks that make it harder to do things right sometimes) but it's a good tip.

insanekaosx

I will record more lines and edit the ones from before as soon as I can, unfortunately I don't know when that will be... Sorry

Tezkat

I updated the title to advertise the Dr. Ink poll.

I should have Jyrras recordings for the SAIA arc up sometime soon now.

Hey... I started out with a discount bin mic, myself. Many AVAs consider the $30 Logitech USB mic to be top of the line, and most make do with less. Very few amateur VAs are crazy enough to blow hundreds of dollars on recording equipment.

Please don't let your gear stop you from trying! Voice acting only requires that you be able to speak and act. Technical limitations of your recording setup can usually be overcome through improved technique, rearranging your workspace, or even fixed digitally in post production.

Quote from: James StarRunner on July 29, 2006, 08:39:05 PM

Ya know... the biggest concentration of amateur VA activity on the net is probably fandubbed anime, if you want to try your hand at that...

QuoteActually, I think a number of our team could actually have a decent career as voice actors. I'm not sure if my performance in that episode would be good enough for a professional studio, but I have improved since like Tapewolf said.

Heh... it's not easy to make a living doing character voices. Cartoons/anime don't pay very well. (Video game voiceover apparently pays very well for the amount of work you do, but it's a tiny segment of the industry.) Almost all pro VAs either do primarily commercial/corporate voiceover or supplement their income with other jobs. Plus you mostly have to live near the major studios to do animated stuff--only commercial voiceover producers regularly acccept work over ISDN.

Nonetheless, the level of skill our little team has gained over the past year is quite amazing... to say nothing of the talent...  :mowdan

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Damien Holtz

Quote from: James StarRunner on July 29, 2006, 08:39:05 PM

Actually, I think a number of our team could actually have a decent career as voice actors. I'm not sure if my performance in that episode would be good enough for a professional studio, but I have improved since like Tapewolf said.

As for the mic, I had a cheap $10-$20 labtec mic (and used it for most of my lines in that ep.), but since moved to an Andrea NC-8 headset I got for free (forgot who gave it to me... Aghhh!) and I don't think that's a top of the line mic either. I mostly just have to speak up to overcome the background noise, but it just goes to show that anyone can still work in this project.
I WANT A HEADSET! :< I had a headset but then something evil happened and it broke.

Or it was just crazy evil defected.

Anyway. I don't even have a mike that's really my own, either, I'm just borrowing one, so I could probably not have a consistent role...

I'm not sure I have the talent required for Dr Ink... I'd probably only come out sounding like ol' Arnold... (My tea tastes like joy now. How horrid. Hasta la vista, baby!)

Edit: Hey... I started out with a discount bin mic, myself.

You have to understand, however, that I'm a perfectionist. If I get the kind of bad background noise and such I'd get with a cheap microphone I have to go through extensive therapy try again and again until it satisfies me, which could take a long time.

Oh well. I'll have my mom borrow me cash for a more good-er microphone.. :B

Damien Holtz

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 29, 2006, 07:16:02 PM
Quote from: Damien Holtz on July 29, 2006, 06:56:35 PM

Ask Miaka about that - I even told her how to pronounce the stuff :(

I was working off the pronunciations from the talkie version of 'Alone In The Dark', although if someone knows how to pronounce it all properly, that would be handy.

Much of Wildy's lines for that segment will have to be redone anyway because they were in various states of distortion, a problem she seems to have recovered from now :)
Yay! There might yet be hope for Cthulhu :U

HP Lovecraft FOR THE WIN. :D