Furrae Chronicles: Webs of Destiny (OOC) [M] {3} - Closed

Started by Tapewolf, October 11, 2007, 03:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on January 01, 2008, 07:34:40 AM
Don't cubi normally hear thoughts as if they were being spoken? That's not the same as probing someone's mind, it's just hearing what they're thinking right now. At least, that's how it's been described before.

Most of this was in the 'Cubi Powers series, but yeah.  Thought-reading is basically hearing someone's internal monologue.  You can also see mental images (e.g. #588 and the poker-playing succubus).

Most 'Cubi can't mind-read.  It takes a lot of time and skill to learn and is very tedious to do.  It is also extremely dangerous.  I'm not sure I see many people with a 'Cubi attention-span spending decades or centuries learning something that's likely to kill them anyway.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mel Dragonkitty

I'm feeling a bit taken in by you at the moment, Tape, since your last request seemed to ask me to have Mel run over her version of events of the attack in her mind to remind people of what happened. I would not have written the post that way if I realized it was just to set Jakob up with meta-knowledge of everything Mel and Styg had done.

Frankly I'm disturbed at this ability being used in an rp at all. This is such an excuse to abuse meta-knowledge.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Gabi

It may be annoying, but it's a part of the world we're playing in. Then again, you may use a mind shield.

Yes, viewed that way what JP did can look like a setup. I don't know whether that was his intention or not. If it was, it was quite dirty. It's ok for characters to try to trick each other, but players shouldn't do that. If that was his intention, that is.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mel Dragonkitty on January 01, 2008, 10:47:10 AM
I'm feeling a bit taken in by you at the moment, Tape, since your last request seemed to ask me to have Mel run over her version of events of the attack in her mind to remind people of what happened. I would not have written the post that way if I realized it was just to set Jakob up with meta-knowledge of everything Mel and Styg had done.

Frankly I'm disturbed at this ability being used in an rp at all. This is such an excuse to abuse meta-knowledge.

Can you run that by me again, more slowly?  I'm afraid I have no idea what you mean.  Or even what you're referring to.

Gabi

She's referring to this:
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 30, 2007, 08:19:42 PM
Mel: I (and thence Jakob) have got a little confused.  The glitch is that Jakob (and I) assumed she did the guards over.  That works with the dialogue, but since what Jakob is describing most certainly did happen (albeit slightly differently), you might want to switch the narration to an inner-voice.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on January 01, 2008, 11:46:44 AM
She's referring to this:
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 30, 2007, 08:19:42 PM
Mel: I (and thence Jakob) have got a little confused.  The glitch is that Jakob (and I) assumed she did the guards over.  That works with the dialogue, but since what Jakob is describing most certainly did happen (albeit slightly differently), you might want to switch the narration to an inner-voice.

Yeah.  Mel wrote "Obviously if he had to make up crimes to ascribe to her he didn't have any legitimate complaints".  That's OK if it's her opinion, but she wrote it as a narrative, i.e. as a statement of fact, which it isn't because the crimes he is complaining about were not made up, they were real.  I was asking if she could edit the post to change it slightly so it worked (which she didn't anyway, so all this is all water under the bridge :P)

True, Mel wasn't actually responsible for all the deaths (at the time of her posting I thought she was and was completely confounded by the structure of her post), but the crimes Jakob is talking about did happen.  Jakob's reply is a little confrontational because I was sitting there thinking "Mel, WTF are you on about?"

What I don't understand is what Mel (the player) is complaining about now, and how any of this relates to 'Cubi mind-reading abilities.

**EDIT**
Oh - Is this about the fact that Jakob deduced Ignatz had done the two killings and not her?  That's basic deductive reasoning.

Jakob has never seen the two of them apart (he doesn't know they did separate after turning Gareeku in).  No-one else had assailed the manor, or they would have met them inside and it wouldn't have been the Demon himself.  Ergo, if it wasn't Mel, it had to have been Ignatz.  If you think this is worth explaining IC, have her ask Jakob what drove him to that conclusion.

Mel Dragonkitty

Ah, I see what happened. You wanted me to clarify an older post and I thought you asked for Mel to do a mental recap of events in my next post. Following that up with him apparently snatching those thoughts from her head to use against her felt tricky. A simple misunderstanding.

Jakob making the logical leap that Mel was an accessory if not the killer is where I expected him to go, just not by reading her mind. Since he apparently didn't read her mind I apologize for making a fuss.

And Gabi, yes I presume someone of her age and power level has pretty secure mental shields as well.

My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mel Dragonkitty on January 01, 2008, 03:12:54 PM
Jakob making the logical leap that Mel was an accessory if not the killer is where I expected him to go, just not by reading her mind. Since he apparently didn't read her mind I apologize for making a fuss.
No problem.

Since Gareeku was hoping the RP would stand up as a story in and of itself, I should probably go back and clarify how he did that, assuming Mel doesn't simply ask.

QuoteAnd Gabi, yes I presume someone of her age and power level has pretty secure mental shields as well.
Quite.  Jakob has probably prodded her when they first met (since he generally does this when meeting new people).  In her case it would have been oh, a mind-shield and on to the next person.  The idea of him even trying to pull anything out of Mel's head uninvited never even occurred to me.

**EDIT**
For clarity's sake, I have modified Jakob's reply to make it more obvious how he concluded it was Ignatz who had done it...

Mel Dragonkitty

Tape and Gabi: I don't know how we're going to end this scene but Mel isn't going to reveal she is a dragon while trapped in a hold of a ship at sea with two cubi. Particularly when Keaton is just looking for a reason to attack her. She reminded you of her form when you first met hoping you'll assume (or accept until further evidence is available)that she is either an angel or a very high end cubi and she won't have to lie to you or flat out refuse. It will happen at some point but she has more survival instinct that this.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mel Dragonkitty on January 02, 2008, 09:54:14 PM
Tape and Gabi: I don't know how we're going to end this scene but Mel isn't going to reveal she is a dragon while trapped in a hold of a ship at sea with two cubi.
.....It will happen at some point but she has more survival instinct that this.

Your typical dragon is millions of years old, full of incredibly powerful magic and practically invulnerable.  She could swat them like a fly, so IMHO it's not Mel's survival that's at stake by any means.  This, actually, is Jakob's thought in 'We might not like the answer', although he's currently assuming she's either a Fae or a Tri-Wing.

As for the plan, what Jakob is trying to do at the moment is make a point to Gabi, but she seems to have disappeared.  After that, assuming he can get some sense out of Mel (who still hasn't agreed to be civil) he is going to go back to the others.

Gareeku

If Mel doesn't want her character to reveal her true race, then please respect her wishes. I know how it feels to want to do something rp-wise, only for people to force you to do something that you didn't want to. It's not nice.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on January 03, 2008, 04:25:57 AM
If Mel doesn't want her character to reveal her true race, then please respect her wishes.
Jakob's already given up on that.  He's trying to convince Gabi to let her be for now...

Gareeku

But Jakob was the one who wanted to find out what race Mel was. Gabi's character actually said race didn't matter to her, and that it was Mel's intentions that she wanted to know. Then again, if Mel doesn't want her character to reveal her intentions, then nobody should force her.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on January 03, 2008, 05:14:59 AM
But Jakob was the one who wanted to find out what race Mel was.
Yes, and she isn't saying.  Jakob's final word on the matter is "But I can understand your reluctance."  That means he realises that she isn't going to tell him, and he is not going to try and trap her into revealing her race, assuming someone who is probably millions of years old could be outsmarted by somone who is less than a thousand, which I doubt.

I'm sorry if this comes across as cranky, but I thought we'd got that settled.

Gareeku

Yes, it did. I was just a little confused. Next time I won't try to be nice about it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on January 03, 2008, 06:05:53 AM
Yes, it did. I was just a little confused. Next time I won't try to be nice about it.

My apologies, I think I now understand where you're coming from.

After Jakob says that line, Mel asks him why he wants to know, basically implying that he's prejudiced.  He replies out of courtesy but he's already given up on questioning her about her race at that point.

FYI, he's going to ask her about this again later on down the line, but that's because as a character he's a bit paranoid about Creatures who might pose a threat to him.  I'm not trying to force an answer out of her.

Mel Dragonkitty

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 03, 2008, 04:06:39 AM
Your typical dragon is millions of years old, full of incredibly powerful magic and practically invulnerable.  She could swat them like a fly, so IMHO it's not Mel's survival that's at stake by any means.  This, actually, is Jakob's thought in 'We might not like the answer', although he's currently assuming she's either a Fae or a Tri-Wing.

Mel wasn't worried about surviving a fight. Her thoughts were more along the line of not doing anything to panic the passengers on a ship at sea. We don't want people jumping overboard to get away from an argument. Keaton isn't the discrete type.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mel Dragonkitty on January 03, 2008, 09:03:43 AM
Mel wasn't worried about surviving a fight. Her thoughts were more along the line of not doing anything to panic the passengers on a ship at sea. We don't want people jumping overboard to get away from an argument. Keaton isn't the discrete type.
Ah, got it.  Yeah, I can see that being a concern, it's just that my reading of her character isn't complete enough to know if she worried about little things like that...

Mel Dragonkitty

She isn't the kind to go around killing people who haven't threatened her, but in this rp at this point in time why don't we leave it that Mel's survival instinct involves the fact that if she doesn't get a bad reputation she won't have to worry about adventurers and bounty hunters chasing her.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mel Dragonkitty on January 03, 2008, 11:02:43 AM
She isn't the kind to go around killing people who haven't threatened her, but in this rp at this point in time why don't we leave it that Mel's survival instinct involves the fact that if she doesn't get a bad reputation she won't have to worry about adventurers and bounty hunters chasing her.
That seems fair.  It occurred to me after posting that my lack of understanding her character is probably down to her deliberately being enigmatic, in which case it works rather well :P

Gabi

I haven't disappeared, I've only just got my new Internet connection.

I'm afraid Jakob's taking a completely wrong approach to convincing Gabi to let Mel be. Gabi would have been willing to drop the subject without his intervention, after getting Mel's reply.]

Also, while age usually brings experience and knowledge, it's also true that no one is perfect, or infallible. Gabi doesn't assume that anyone who's many times her age is automatically right about everything. She knows she can be wrong, but if she ends up making a mistake, at least it was her own.

Gabi

Just posting to say that James's post made me chuckle. Is he practising his Cubi-deflecting skills?

Tapewolf

Just FYI, Jakob is still waiting for Mel to agree (or not) to his proposal that they treat each other civilly rather than constantly backbiting...

Stygian

And FYI, Stygian is waiting for dusk. Also, some people don't need to shake on it to make a deal.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Stygian on January 12, 2008, 07:38:01 PM
Also, some people don't need to shake on it to make a deal.

This is true, but some sort of acknowledgement either way would be nice.  I was tempted to have Jakob wander off dejectedly, but if Mel has missed that part of the post, it wouldn't be fair  :3

Tapewolf

**bangs head on desk**
Aw crud, I missed that she was expecting a handshake.  I think it had something to do with Styg's comment about not everyone requiring a handshake, but I still should have spotted that.

Stygian

Or perhaps you should have paid mind to the fact that it was I who said that, and have realized that since it's me it can't be a good suggestion... >:3

Gabi

I'll be out for a week, starting tomorrow morning and returning next Saturday (going on a vacation to Salta). I'll try to come online at some point during the week, especially for the IF game, but I don't think I'll be able to post on this topic. I'd say "please don't kill my character while I'm gone", but this isn't Azlan's game so... please do whatever should be done. Thanks.

Oh, and sorry, Mel, I didn't notice you were expecting a handshake either.

Gareeku

After an unexpected hiatus, I'm hope to get this rp stuttering back to life somewhat again. Don't know how fast it will be, due to real life commitments. But at least I'm trying to get it running again.

Aisha deCabre

Ah, it's good to see it up again, Gar ^^  We'll try to keep it going as much as we can.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.