Ask the All Purpose Fox - Enterprise!

Started by Kenji, January 18, 2008, 09:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkdragon

What's a more broken wish than wishing for the power to change reality?

Ignuus66

What's a less broken wish than wishing the power to make people who would wish to change reality away?

(credit: Gabi)

Gabi

Quote from: littlekreen on April 30, 2012, 06:04:20 PM
What do you call a bucket of chinchillas?
A bucket of chinchillas.

Quote from: Ignuus66 on April 30, 2012, 06:51:59 PM
Is this statement false?  >:3
That is not a statement.

Quote from: Darkdragon on April 30, 2012, 08:12:16 PM
What's a more broken wish than wishing for the power to change reality?
Wishing for th

Quote from: Ignuus66 on April 30, 2012, 08:15:00 PM
What's a less broken wish than wishing the power to make people who would wish to change reality away?
Wishing for someone to make a wish with fewer indirections. Wait, that one has several indirections too. Umm... Wishing for a cup of tea. Yes, that solves everything.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Ignuus66

This statement is false.
Is the above statement false?

Darkdragon

Why is it that when I ask questions to which I actually desire an interesting constructive response I am always reminded that I do need to speak like a lawyer or a mathematician to get my question answered in the manner I suppose?
Wait, does this mean that the APFs are semi-literal genies?

Naldru

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 01, 2012, 09:19:00 AM
This statement is false.

What is the true definition of true and false?
When you answer that question, the question above will be answered.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

e_voyager

heh every few years a few people try to stump the AFPs. i've been guilty of it myself asking question that were as convoluted as my self image. but i have to ask... does it get old t you APF's?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Ignuus66

Quote from: Naldru on May 01, 2012, 01:36:42 PM
The true definition of true is when a statement, or anything that true could be said about is not incorrect, and overall fits/is correct.
the true definition of false is when a statement, or anything that true could be said about is incorrect, and doesn't fit/is not correct.
:)

Quote from: e_voyager on May 01, 2012, 02:35:04 PM
heh every few years a few people try to stump the AFPs. i've been guilty of it myself asking question that were as convoluted as my self image. but i have to ask... does it get old t you APF's?
I'm curious of how they handle it.... Though asking a paradox is the least creative way of doing it in hindsight.... I'll try something more creative later!  :mwaha

Naldru

Are you saying
A statement is true if it is not false
A statement is false if it is not true

If so, you have defined neither true, false, correct, or incorrect

If I make the statements

I am lying
I lied when I said that

My reaction is that the statements are contradictory and that their veracity is indeterminate (and meaningless).  I would also view these statements as an attempt at deception, and deception is sometimes viewed as lying.

If I give an answer that is correct but I don't know whether it is correct, am I still telling the truth
If I give an answer that is incorrect but I don't know whether or not it is incorrect, am I still lying
If I make a statement that I believe to be correct, but I am mistaken and actually making an incorrect statement, am I lying or telling the truth
If I make a statement that I believe to be incorrect, but I am mistaken and actually making a correct statement, am I lying or telling the truth

Different people would give different answers and different dictionaries might disagree

With regard to testifying legally under oath, the answers are defined
If I give an answer that is correct but don't know whether it is correct, I am lying regardless of whether the statement is correct (perjury)
If I give an answer that is incorrect but don't know whether is is incorrect, I am lying regardless of whether the statement is correct (perjury)
If I make a statement that I believe to be incorrect, I am lying regardless of whether the statement is correct (perjury)
If I make a statement that I believe to be correct, I am telling the truth regardless of whether the statement is correct
If I make the statements listed at the top (I am lying and I was lying when I said that) I am in contempt of court

If true is provably correct and false is provably incorrect, then there must be a third category that is neither provably correct nor incorrect

A friend of mine told me that he had a friend with a wooden leg named Fred.  I wonder what the other leg was named.

My final statement is that any true and valid definition of true and false would by definition resolve the paradox.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Gabi

This statement is false.
That is the Liar's Paradox, and a paradox is, once more, not a statement. At least by the definition of 'statement' I learned at university. Other schools of thought may call that a statement, but in any case, it isn't false. And before you ask, it isn't true either.

This statement is false.

If you're asking for a true definition, you must know what true means. Otherwise I could give you any definition and you wouldn't know whether it is true or not. In any case, there is more than one application of those terms, and they have different definitions for different purposes. Considering only one of them the true definition would be assuming the others are not true, and it makes no sense to invalidate any of them as they are all in use.

A little bit, but it can be fun every now and then, as long as it doesn't take up too much of the thread. Personally, I enjoy logical, sintactical, semantical and philosophical discussions.

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 01, 2012, 03:16:16 PM
The true definition of true is when a statement, or anything that true could be said about is not incorrect, and overall fits/is correct.
the true definition of false is when a statement, or anything that true could be said about is incorrect, and doesn't fit/is not correct.
:)

I'm curious of how they handle it.... Though asking a paradox is the least creative way of doing it in hindsight.... I'll try something more creative later!  :mwaha

We shall handle it by setting you on fire. Posting things that aren't statements and calling them statements is acceptable. But making a post without a question on the APF thread... that is a punishable offense.

Same thing goes for you, Naldru! *Unleashes Ink on Naldru.*

littlekreen

♫ What do you do with a drunken Naldru? ♫

Gabi

That depends on how drunk he is and whether or not he has made a post without a question on this thread.

Darkdragon

I thought Ink didn't do that evil doctor thing anymore?

Also, does it seem that if I actually desire a coherent answer to my inane questions, I need to summon my inner lawyer and fuse it with my mathematician to create a deadly logical trap of words?

James StarRunner

Easy math question. What is 24 + 19 in base 16?  :mwaha

Gabi

Quote from: Darkdragon on May 01, 2012, 08:03:58 PM
I thought Ink didn't do that evil doctor thing anymore?

Also, does it seem that if I actually desire a coherent answer to my inane questions, I need to summon my inner lawyer and fuse it with my mathematician to create a deadly logical trap of words?
Ink is the official punisher. And I never said such a thing, any question is acceptable except those pertaining to the workings of the forums.

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 01, 2012, 08:10:44 PM
Easy math question. What is 24 + 19 in base 16?  :mwaha
3D.

James StarRunner

Quote from: Gabi on May 01, 2012, 08:15:37 PM
Quote from: James StarRunner on May 01, 2012, 08:10:44 PM
Easy math question. What is 24 + 19 in base 16?  :mwaha
3D.
That's a little bit of a red herring on my part, but wonderful attempt!
No, wait... Doh! I meant it to be 2B (or not 2B). I done went and goofed up my own question. :B

Gabi

And you also failed to make a question on that last post. But I'll forgive you this time because you've already had more than enough punishment in recent days.

Naldru

I humbly apologize for my bad manners and my ignorance of the proper decorum for this forum.

I guess my question would be what I could do to make up for my loutish behavior.

Gabi

Quote from: Naldru on May 01, 2012, 08:35:22 PM
I humbly apologize for my bad manners and my ignorance of the proper decorum for this forum.

I guess my question would be what I could do to make up for my loutish behavior.

Learn from experience. :)

Darkdragon

How many distinct well-formed Jenga towers can you make with 54 Jenga blocks?

ShadesFox

Quote from: Darkdragon on May 02, 2012, 05:03:38 AM
How many distinct well-formed Jenga towers can you make with 54 Jenga blocks?

Enough to make your head explode with majesty.
The All Purpose Fox

Darkdragon

I would suppose that 229,652,759,720,242,996,085 configurations would be enough to make most people's heads explode with majesty.
Is my assessment valid?

Gabi

Quote from: Darkdragon on May 02, 2012, 12:06:35 PM
I would suppose that 229,652,759,720,242,996,085 configurations would be enough to make most people's heads explode with majesty.
Is my assessment valid?
It is quite likely, but please don't test it.

Ignuus66

What can change the nature of a man? (getting the reference earns you a cookie!  :mowhappy)

Gabi

Planescape? I could swear that question had been asked here before. I gave a deep answer back then, but now it feels like deja vu, so I'm going to say... that same man.

Spellblade Kelzon

In Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time, Link learns the Song of Storms from an old man in a windmill as an adult. He then goes back in time and teaches it to the old man in the windmill as a child. My question is where did the Song of Storms originate?
Violence is the language of the defeated, swords the tongues of the lost.

ShadesFox

Quote from: Spellblade Kelzon on May 02, 2012, 08:55:56 PM
In Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time, Link learns the Song of Storms from an old man in a windmill as an adult. He then goes back in time and teaches it to the old man in the windmill as a child. My question is where did the Song of Storms originate?

From battle toads.
The All Purpose Fox

Ignuus66

Quote from: Gabi on May 02, 2012, 06:15:44 PM
Planescape? I could swear that question had been asked here before. I gave a deep answer back then, but now it feels like deja vu, so I'm going to say... that same man.
Yep! take this comlimentary cookie!  :mowcookie

Does the end really justify the means?

Gabi

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 03, 2012, 03:09:53 AM
Quote from: Gabi on May 02, 2012, 06:15:44 PM
Yep! take this comlimentary cookie!  :mowcookie

Does the end really justify the means?
Thanks... even if it was bitten by a mow. >.>

To answer your question, no, it doesn't.

Ignuus66

But what if you have to kill 100 people to save 1 billion?

Or (going back to an isaac asimov novel) You have to stop a time-travel agency from stopping all wars from happening to make humanity be capable of defending it's self, thus possibly (re) killing trillions of people?

(I'm trying to start a debate)