Ask the All Purpose Fox - Enterprise!

Started by Kenji, January 18, 2008, 09:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkdragon

What's a good (reasonable) way to get me to write without getting sidetracked by the myriad of distractions I have access to?

justacritic

Kill off your internet, that's usually good for ten minutes, twenty if you're disciplined.

Gabi

Here are some ideas which usually work for me:

1. Make a schedule, allowing some time to dedicate only to writing, and sometime for whatever other things you would like to do. The order and duration of each period should be whatever works best for you. If you're not sure, you can try different ways of organizing your day until you find the one that's best for you.

2. When you go to sleep, think about what you're going to write the following day. You may even take some notes if ideas begin to crop up. I keep a notepad next to my bed to that effect.

3. Go out for a walk, take a shower, do whatever helps you focus your mind without getting caught by external input. However, if you're stuck and can't produce anything, or feel an urgent need for an outside source of fiction, then take a book and read a bit (not the whole book at once, just a chapter or two to get your mental juices flowing). Then go back to writing.

4. Write an outline or a preliminary version on paper before you type it on your computer. The computer is an inexhaustible source of distractions, so it really helps if you already know most of what you're going to write by the time you face the screen.

Speaking of being disciplined... Justacritic, you're not a member of the AP-Team, so please wait here. *Locks justacritic in a cage and waits for someone to deliver his punishment.*
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

justacritic

Okay then (sits down)
May I at least have tea and a biscuit while I'm here?

Lushin

BREAD AND WATER ONLY! You will stay in that cage and think about what you have done. Also write on this chalkboard "I will not post an answer in the APF thread ever again." one thousand times and then we will decide what will be done with you.
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Inumo

Is it wrong of me to laugh hysterically at that?

e_voyager

I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Lushin

For that you get this piece of cake. It's chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. You're still in the cage though now you will hang in the cage in the village square for everyone to see for a week. And yes yes it is.
/happiness.exe

Darkdragon

Perhaps the next rather important question I should consult the APFs is what is a good balance of accuracy, believability and detail such that my text would provide a good reference for my players when they're supposed to refer to it when they're writing backstories for a campaign? (I haven't done anything like this before, so if you have other advice which I should know, by all means, tell me.)

Corgatha Taldorthar

Do all the non-trivial zeroes in a Riemann zeta function have a real part of 1/2?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Gabi

Darkdragon: it depends on the players, but I'd say: make it believable enough that the players can get in character, accurate enough to fit the rules of your world, and provide detail as needed.

Corg: if they are true zeroes, then their real part is zero. All other zeroes are fake.

Angel

Who would you do for a Klondike bar?

How many books were just as good or actually worse than the movies, in your opinion?
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Lushin

Nothing I hate Klondike bars.

Most of the books I've read where better than the movie.
/happiness.exe

Gabi

Quote from: Black_angel on January 07, 2012, 09:43:23 PM
Who would you do for a Klondike bar?

How many books were just as good or actually worse than the movies, in your opinion?
No one.

Two: "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" and "The Enchanted April". The movie adaptation of "Como agua para chocolate" came close to being as good as the book, but it didn't have any of the cooking recipes (most of which I couldn't cook anyway because they were either ridiculously complicated or full of Mexican words I couldn't understand).

e_voyager

If you were offered a one time Change into a fully function form of you internet persona would you take it?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Gabi

Quote from: e_voyager on January 12, 2012, 02:26:58 AM
If you were offered a one time Change into a fully function form of you internet persona would you take it?
No.

ShadesFox

If it was one time and one way then no.
The All Purpose Fox

e_voyager

Quote from: ShadesFox on January 14, 2012, 09:21:18 AM
If it was one time and one way then no.
one time yes but not necessarily one way. it would be like a trial. spend 1-week persona and discover if you'd rather go back to normal or spend the rest of your life as you portray yourself on the internet. (note i said persona not anything else meany that how ever you portray yourself  human-furry -poke`mon - box or robotic changeling[self] is how you would be for the trail period)  it's one time to prevent abuses in  the thinking that i can always go back

Gabi

I might go for it for an hour or so at AnthroCon, but no more than that.

Darkdragon

Why do essays exist in a math class? Seriously, profs... it's not even a "history of mathematics" class or something.

Gabi

Quote from: Darkdragon on January 15, 2012, 05:05:12 PM
Why do essays exist in a math class? Seriously, profs... it's not even a "history of mathematics" class or something.
Because you have a very original teacher. Essays in a math class? I'd never heard of such a thing before.

ShadesFox

Alright class, we are going to write an essay on 8's feelings on being the sum of 5 and 3.
The All Purpose Fox

Zedd

If Jesus can turn water into wine and if humans are 90% water,am I drunk?

Gabi

Yes. But not for the reasons you believe.

Azlan

That would be an interesting power... perhaps a transform or maybe just a simple NND.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Castle Pokemetroid

What causes dizziness that lasts for more than a week?

Actually, better than that, what would cure such a thing?

ShadesFox

Space ninja viruses. That is the only thing.

Fish sticks. Fish sticks are the only things that work.
The All Purpose Fox

littlekreen

What do you call a bucket of chinchillas?

Ignuus66

(credit: Gabi)