computer troubles.

Started by thegayhare, May 30, 2008, 12:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

hi hi every one.

Well revently I got my grubby little paws on a copy of Dues Ex and it's sequel.  Now I've heard great things about both these games so I wanted to have some fun. 

well here is the trouble  both games end up freezing after maybe 15 minutes of play.  I figured it was an overheating issue since I'd run into that before.  But at the same time I can run Firewarrior which is graphicly much more demanding then Dues Ex for hours with out a single incident of freezing or lag involved.  Does anyone have any advice?

Dannysaysnoo

What operating system are you using?

Tapewolf

And what version of Deus Ex is it?  (The build number is at the bottom of the main menu IIRC)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ryudo Lee

Odd, I've got Deus Ex running under Windows XP.  Do you have the latest patch for it?  Also, what version of DirectX are you running?

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on May 30, 2008, 01:43:57 PM
Odd, I've got Deus Ex running under Windows XP.  Do you have the latest patch for it?  Also, what version of DirectX are you running?

I do remember having to upgrade Deus Ex to the latest single-player version to make it work on XP.  This was a shame, because it fixed the bug in the stealth training area where you could kill all the volunteers and then complete the test because dead people can't spot you.

**EDIT**
(Now that is something I have to film!)

Ryudo Lee

I had not heard of that.  Do film that.  I'd love to see it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on May 30, 2008, 02:41:56 PM
I had not heard of that.  Do film that.  I'd love to see it.

When I find the disk, I will (it'll need a reinstall).

Hare, I'm running build 1.014F (compiled 08/Jan/2001).  This version worked on XP - previously it tended to stutter and break up.  (I'm running it under W2K and Linux nowadays)

thegayhare

I'm also running 1.014F I just tried running it again and I didn't even make it through the charactor creation screen

Tapewolf

Have you tried switching it down to software rendering mode?  Not as pretty, but it would be interesting to know if it works.

**EDIT**

And have you tried other Unreal-based games, e.g. the Unreal series, or Rune?

Ryudo Lee

I'm running 1.112fm  You might want to update your copy.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on May 30, 2008, 03:55:55 PM
It might be worth trying if he can't play it at all, but that will remove the bug where the entire UNATCO base goes into a psychotic rage and tries to kill the vacuum cleaner.

Still, I guess that's why I recorded a video of it  :3

thegayhare

Rune runs fine no problems at all. 
in fact Rune looks better then dues ex graphic wise

Hmm I thought I'd snagged the latest patch out there  I'll try it

thegayhare

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on May 30, 2008, 03:55:55 PM
nope that didn't work either

Ryudo Lee

Okay... hmm...

Well, this worked with System Shock 2 (same engine, I believe)... when you install it, use the argument -ntforce

Start->Run

D:\Setup.exe -ntforce

Reinstall with that argument and see if that helps any.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on May 30, 2008, 04:48:21 PM
Well, this worked with System Shock 2 (same engine, I believe)... when you install it, use the argument -ntforce

It was "setup -lgntforce".  Unfortunately that is unlikely to work because SS2 is a totally different animal to Deus Ex.  It was the same engine as Thief and Thief 2, but AFAIK it was written entirely in-house.  So I don't think that idea will work  :<

**EDIT**
IIRC all it did was bypass the safety check on the installer.

Ryudo Lee

Hm, well... let's look at Windows then, TGH.  What version of Windows are you running?  Have you done all the latest updates?

Also, are you running an nVidia card that's newer than the 8800's?  Those cards broke a lot of old games.

thegayhare

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on May 30, 2008, 04:59:57 PM
Hm, well... let's look at Windows then, TGH.  What version of Windows are you running?  Have you done all the latest updates?

Also, are you running an nVidia card that's newer than the 8800's?  Those cards broke a lot of old games.

I'm running XP with the latest updates

I'm running a radeon 9250

Cvstos

Deus Ex is known for stability issues but I've never had it that bad.  (Save early and often!)

The Radeon 9250 isn't the best card out there but it's way newer than Deus Ex and shouldn't be having real issues.  Do you have the Steam version or a disk version?  Have you tried a total uninstall (uninstall, delete remaining files yourself) followed by a total reinstall (installing the patches right away before running the game)?
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

thegayhare

Quote from: Cvstos on June 02, 2008, 06:59:33 PM
Deus Ex is known for stability issues but I've never had it that bad.  (Save early and often!)

The Radeon 9250 isn't the best card out there but it's way newer than Deus Ex and shouldn't be having real issues.  Do you have the Steam version or a disk version?  Have you tried a total uninstall (uninstall, delete remaining files yourself) followed by a total reinstall (installing the patches right away before running the game)?

Yep didn't work either...

Oh well I'm thinking of just calling it quits and finding something else to do.  I think Red faction.