Fake Sugar...

Started by Thora, April 27, 2008, 03:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thora

This goes back to the thread http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,4367.0.html

When me & Brun were told Splenda = Sucrolose by a friend of ours, I had been drinking Propel.  As soon as our friend mentioned this, I immediately had a revelation - "So THIS is why there's a funny after-taste"  I then proceeded to dump out ALL of the Propel I had in our house, because I didn't want to put anymore of that in my body.  Anytime a new product comes out in the stores, especially something that I think would taste good, I read the label.  If it says Splenda or Sucrolose, I feel disappointed because I can't try it.  I try to avoid the stuff like it's the Plague.  There are SOOOOO many products that switched to Splenda from other fake sugars.  There's a reason it's fake - our body can't handle it like real sugar.  Our bodies are used to real sugar, it's in all sorts of foods, naturally.  Real sugar is turned into energy, fake sugars are stored. 

RobbieThe1st

So, why would you want *any* product that uses *any* fake sugar?

Personally, I will *never* eat any product that is "low calorie", "low carbs", "no carbs" and such like that. I also make every attempt to NOT eat anything with corn syrup(ESPECIALLY the high-fructose type) in it, opting for stuff that uses actual sugar.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Thora

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on April 27, 2008, 03:21:04 AM
So, why would you want *any* product that uses *any* fake sugar?

That's a good question - the event in my first post was about 3 years ago...
We don't allow anything "diet" in our house.  We just have to work on getting the high fructose corn syrup out of our diets... it's just so hard giving up soda :P

rabid_fox

Also, I live in a cave and eat my meat raw, after catching it with my own bare hands. Grr.

Oh dear.

Brunhidden

Quote from: rabid_fox on April 27, 2008, 06:52:44 AM

Also, I live in a cave and eat my meat raw, after catching it with my own bare hands. Grr.

you haven't lived it rough till you've eaten snakes knee soup, squirrel kabob, or roadkill deer sausage with unidentifiable wild mushrooms.

Europeans have it better, instead of corn syrup their sodas are sweetened with actual sugar, which is healthier, often has less calories,  and tastes better
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

LionHeart

Quote from: Brunhidden on April 27, 2008, 07:04:02 AM
you haven't lived it rough till you've eaten snakes knee soup, squirrel kabob, or roadkill deer sausage with unidentifiable wild mushrooms.

Snakes have knees? :erk
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

rabid_fox

I don't live in Europe.

That said, I was really surprised at just how artificial American food is when someone sent me some in the post. I mean, we have our quick-and-easy meals too that you can just bung in the microwave, but my god, this stuff was dross.

But I hear you lot ROCK when it comes to steaks.

Oh dear.

Ryudo Lee

I prefer Sweet 'n Low.  Saccharine was only found to cause cancer in rats, so the only humans at risk are lawyers anyway.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Alondro

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on April 27, 2008, 01:25:21 PM
I prefer Sweet 'n Low.  Saccharine was only found to cause cancer in rats, so the only humans at risk are lawyers anyway.

Rats that were given a daily dose of sacchrine anywhere from 200-25,000 times the amount anyone would ever actually use, by the way.

In perspective, an equivalent ratio of vitamin A to the daily allowance would also cause cancer or be outright lethal at the higher amount.

But I prefer real sugar anyway.  You only get fat if you sit on yer ass stuffing yer face full of Cheesey Poofs, Snackey Cakes, and soda all day.   :P

(I'm not fat!  I'm pleasingly plump.  :kirby
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

rabid_fox

In the last month, three people have told me that I'm fat. The unfortunate thing is that they wait until I'm topless to do this, so I can't argue.

Bastards.

Oh dear.

Valynth

I don't get it....

I eat pretty much anything that is set on my plate until I'm full.  Being in America that means I'm exposed to this so called "fake food" all the time and it consists of most of my diet.  Yet here I sit and type while weighing a modest 202 pounds at a max height of 6'4"

Infact I have trouble GAINING weight...
(those of you who know me know that about a year or two ago I wieghed around 195, that's about a net gain of 7 pounds over a year or two.  Yeah, most people try to lose that much in that frame.)
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: rabid_fox on April 27, 2008, 06:25:44 PM

In the last month, three people have told me that I'm fat. The unfortunate thing is that they wait until I'm topless to do this, so I can't argue.

Bastards.

I'm trying to lose weight as well, I'll admit that, but nobody says a word when I'm topless...

Course, I do have a couple of obvious advantages there  >:3

Valynth

Proof!  I demand PROOF!

(You knew it was coming)
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

rabid_fox

I don't expose my chest to the internet, drat you. Except on special occasions.

Oooh, you weren't asking ME for proof.

I'm sad now.

Oh dear.

Alondro

*Charles exposes his chest!*

And now the reactions:  :erk  D:  :yuck  :blarf  :boggle  'A'  :redrum

:scaredkitty

*Charles knows he is ugleh*   :C
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Valynth on April 28, 2008, 03:02:40 AM
Proof!  I demand PROOF!

(You knew it was coming)

Why would she expect it to be questioned? You can see naked chest in her avatar, there for all to see.(oh, you mean IRL...)

No one tells em I'm fat when I take my shirt off, they say "G%$@#&, I'm blind! Get a tan!"
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

ShadesFox

Sometimes people say I'm fat.  I shrug.  Because it is true.  Now make me another sandwich *whip crack*. 

I hear the rat sacchrine study is best summed up as,
"We took a 15 ounce rant and pumped it full of 16 ounces of sacchrine.  It developed a lump and died."
When phrased that way the best response is, "No shit?"
The All Purpose Fox

Damaris

People who drink large quantities of diet coke/pepsi/whatever have actually been developing some strange diseases, though- blindness, MS like symptoms, all sorts of weird things.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

ShadesFox

Define 'large quantities' and how quickly?  It is entirely possible, from what you are describing, that you are actually talking about water poisoning.
The All Purpose Fox

Alondro

Quote from: Damaris on April 29, 2008, 06:45:45 PM
People who drink large quantities of diet coke/pepsi/whatever have actually been developing some strange diseases, though- blindness, MS like symptoms, all sorts of weird things.

Well, the artificial sweetener aspartame is a methyl ester dipeptide of aspartate and phenylalanine.  

Aspartate is an excitatory neurotransmitter, and too much can be neurotoxic by excitotoxicity.

In large quantities, phenylalanine can interfere with the production of serotonin in the brain because it uses the same transporter as tryptophan, the precursor of serotonin.

There is also the added breakdown product of methanol, which is metabolized to formaldehyde.

If someone drink massive quantities of diet soda every day, it is possible the levels of these three breakdown products could reach toxic levels, especially since the body tends to hold onto the amino acids, as phenylalanine of the 8 'essential' animo acids which the body cannot synthesize adequately on its own and aspartate is utilized in a number of very important metabolic cycles:  the malate-aspartate shuttle, the biosynthesis of inositol (the purine base precursor), and the urea cycle.

Since in typical diet, one is not overwhelmed by either of these two amino acids and can generally metabolize any excess easily, a huge unceasing source of them might overwhelm the metabolic pathways.

Only one way to be sure... I propose human experiments!   >:3

And if a person has phenylketonuria, they should never drink soda with aspatame!

Fuyudenki

Ah, nice to meet you, Thora.  I shall have to add you to my AIM buddy list, as well.  Later.

A bit zealous on the artificial sweeteners, though, I'd say.  Admittedly, I refuse to drink diet, though.  Need to find some sodas sweetened with cane sugar and see how they taste.  I tried a Jones soda, which apparently falls in this category, but it was of the sugar-free variety, to which my friend responded "What!?  Sugar-free!?  What's the point?"

Quote from: rabid_fox on April 27, 2008, 06:52:44 AM

I'd be rather surprised if they haven't tried this at least once, honestly.  Brun's family are fairly cool people, by my experience.