ACTs

Started by Rakala, April 22, 2008, 10:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakala

I recently took my ACT tests plus the writing. I think I did pretty well except for the end on the writing part. I only got 3 paragraphs in where as I noticed some people getting into their third page. I get my scores in a few weeks.

Alondro

*cannot resist the urge to do evil*

And here are the results!

:youfail

I'm sure it'll be fine.  Remember, the amount of writing is meaningless if it's empty gibberish.  The quality and content of the writing is what's important.  In fact, covering one's point completely with only a short essay is very difficult. 

Let's hope for this:   :judges

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Ryudo Lee

I remember taking the ACT in '99.  I got a 19 on it.  It was enough to get TOPS back then, and was the minimum requirement to get into NSU, which was where I wanted to go anyway.  Everyone joked around that you got 10 points for putting your name down correctly.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Rakala

I feel confident about how I did. I've always been good at taking tests. I actually managed to answer all of the questions in a way that I think I did quite well. I do hope it doesn't take long because the longer it does the more nervous I'll get.

Ryudo Lee

Well, the real question is... are you only taking the ACT?  Or are you also going to take the SAT?

Rakala

I will probably take the SAT before I graduate.

Alondro

I don't recall what I got on my ACT, other than it was high.

My SAT was actually somewhat low, only 1120.  But then, I thought the whole test was a waste of time in the first place what with kids being trained on taking the test and having all these extra courses and stuff just to learn how to increase their score.  I decided the whole thing just ended up inflating the scores of kids who really didn't know what they were doing and pretty much filled in the circles as fast as I could to get it over with.

In perspective, my GPA for high school (with no honors courses, I was lazy) was 3.9655.  Then in college it was 3.84.  Then in grad school: 3.92.  Now I have a graduate degree in biology.

Somehow, I think the SAT ended up being worthless in my case.   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Ryudo Lee

I never took the SAT.  It wasn't required for NSU.

bill

Quote from: Alondro on April 22, 2008, 01:22:17 PM
I decided the whole thing just ended up inflating the scores of kids who really didn't know what they were doing
'sup  8)

rabid_fox

You and your crazy system. Get one that's understanble, with Key Stage SATs, GCSE's, GNVQ's, GCE's and AS levels. Much more sensible!

Oh dear.

bill

you know, you don't learn nothin' in school that you can't learn yourself

why, the other day, i taught myself integral calculus by intuition alone

Sufurin Scorda

Every sophomore at my school (Including me, since I'm kinda a sophomore too) had to take a practice ACT earlier this year, in September/October.

It was a pain because if we finished a section early, we could go back and finish something we didn't finish, but I had like 5 or so minutes left after the English section (First section) and I had like no time to finish the Science part (Which was last! Huzzah.)(So I just answered 2 questions, thought "F*** it.", and guessed on everything else. Hey, 10 minutes for 15 questions isn't enough, especially if you need to actually THINK for some of the questions.

My estimated ACT score is like a 21-24 or something like that. And there's a little "Things you should study before you REALLY take it so you don't fail as much" thing with it, and the guys who grade the tests apparently love me. For the science section, it suggested that I read science articles to learn about common words such as star.

I thought it was a pretty good score, since I didn't really know anything about Geometry or Chemistry when I took it. And 'cuz of the whole "Guessing for at least 10 questions" part.

...I still wish I had more time. D:< If I wanna work ahead, lemme do it! Especially if I've got some damn time. It's not like I could read or anything. *Pouts*

Quote from: bill on April 22, 2008, 02:17:58 PM
why, the other day, i taught myself integral calculus by intuition alone
Are you sure you don't mean addition, Bill? I dun think u gots enuf smartz 4 kalqulus yet

Darkmoon

These are the kinds of threads Live Journal was invented for.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Reese Tora

huh, SATs... I had a chance to take a sort of practive SAT in the 6th or 7th grade (I got to take an official SAT, but it was part of a sort of talent search program of the school) IIRC, I did fairly well, for a 7th grader. (my mom said it was in the 300-400 range in each of the two parts, but wasn't sure where she put the result page we recieved... considering the average score is around 500 per section, and the minimum of 200... not sure if I took the test before or after the 1995 recentering; but it's more impressive if it was before.)

I never took the SAT for application to a college, though.

There's a web page of a guy that set out to take the SAT and get a perfect 200 on each section of the test.
and here it is
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

yakanaj

Oh, I am so glad I never had to take ACTs or SATs. Whoo Hoo Alberta and their edumacation!

Eibborn

Likewise, Saskatchewan.
...Actually, is there anywhere in Canada where they are used? I don't think there is.
/kicks the internet over

Rakala

My scores for the ACT finally came in. I got a 21, above average on everything except science and social studies. I'm in the top 25% of the students in my class! YES! GO ME! And even better I have a high enough score to get in any of the schools I currently desire to go to. I'm bursting with confidence. I hope it's not just a buzz from the pain pils I'm on. Oh, btw I got my wisdom teeth taken out.

llearch n'n'daCorna

congratulations.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ShadesFox

Grats to you.  I forget what I got on my SATs, but I got a 33 on my ACT.  That was  lot of fun  :rolleyes

And the drugs from wisdom teeth extraction are a lot of fun.  They kind of have to be to make you forget about how much blood you are drinking.  That or maybe it is the python.
The All Purpose Fox