Well, that couldn't have gone more wrong...

Started by rabid_fox, April 12, 2008, 03:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

Cogidubnus

I believe that the term is, most definitely, irony.

And yes. Hilarious if you don't think about it too hard.

rabid_fox

But as soon as you think about it, you just go "G'damn..." and feel bad about being alive.

Oh dear.

Eibborn

/kicks the internet over

Alondro

I reiterate:  If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough.

Trusting people in this day and age is just plain stupid.  Morality is just about dead.

It is time for me to begin The Cleansing.   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Darkmoon

Quote from: Cogidubnus on April 12, 2008, 04:21:17 PM

It's not irony. It's stupidity.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Darkmoon on April 12, 2008, 11:33:31 PM

Oh, yes. It's stupid. It can be both, though - getting killed by a stranger, while on a hitchhiking to prove that you can trust people, has the ring of irony to it...

Valynth

Quote from: Darkmoon on April 12, 2008, 11:33:31 PM
Quote from: Cogidubnus on April 12, 2008, 04:21:17 PM

As I said on FARK:  "It's the complete trifecta of obvious, dumbass, and irony."

Edit:  I'm also sure that Darwin had a hand....making it a quadfetca, but that isn't as fun to say.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

King Of Hearts

yet... I still want to believe in her message. Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic, but I want to be able trust people.

A similar story happened in the Philippines, albeit not as Ironic, when an American Humanitarian volunteer, Julia Campbell, if memory serves was raped and killed in the Banawe Rice Terraces... she went up the terraces alone.

I really cant find any humor in this story Im afraid.

Gareeku

I'm going to have to agree with KOH. I don't find it funny at all. It is a tragedy that one woman who was willing to try and prove that there are trustworthy people in this world was basically taken advantage of and her life ended. I want to be able to trust people as well, which makes this story really quite tragic. I'm also somewhat disgusted that people are treating this as funny.

Brunhidden

this reminds me of after hurricane Katrina there was a 400 pound preacher from Wisconsin who was going to walk to New Orleans in an attempt to both raise awareness, help raise funding, and hopefully some repair had been done in the eons that it takes a overweight priest to trundle that many miles.

never heard from him again, and im kinda surprised cause a corpse that big lying on the road has gotta attract attention.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Jim Halisstrad

See the problem is that 9 out of ten people can be trusted.
But that last guy is going to be a real DICK. 
[Disclaimer, sane person to Dick Ratio might have less sane people]

Valynth

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on April 13, 2008, 03:42:51 PM

Bear in mind this was in an Islamic country.  And Islam tends to convert the crazies due to it's quick and easy legitimization of any wrong doing they do against any non-Islamic.

So the sane to dick ratio is more along the lines of 3 to 7.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

Gareeku

Quote from: Valynth on April 13, 2008, 05:04:49 PM

Bear in mind this was in an Islamic country.  And Islam tends to convert the crazies due to it's quick and easy legitimization of any wrong doing they do against any non-Islamic.

Um...Sorry to rain on your anti-Islam parade, but I don't think that this has anything to do with the fact that this is an Islamic country. People are murdered all over other countries, and there are plenty of crazies that associate themselves with other religions as well.

Valynth

Quote from: Gareeku on April 13, 2008, 05:26:29 PM
Quote from: Valynth on April 13, 2008, 05:04:49 PM

Um...Sorry to rain on your anti-Islam parade, but I don't think that this has anything to do with the fact that this is an Islamic country. People are murdered all over other countries, and there are plenty of crazies that associate themselves with other religions as well.

I just pointed out that they have a higher incidence of such actions, but most of them are deemed acceptable and aren't conveyed as an actual crime, but a misdemeanor and thus the news media refuses to cover it.

Fuyudenki

The headline of that story found me laughing.  Very funny.

3 out of 7 people are good?  Being a bit optimistic, aren't you?  I don't really trust anyone who doesn't have a gun pointed at their head.

Alondro

All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God!

Thus all must be burninated in the fires of DOOM! 

I am the angel of death... the time of purification is at hand...  :explosion

*Furry attracts the mostest crazies!  Wheeeeee!*   :superlick
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Sunblink

Quote from: Valynth on April 13, 2008, 08:39:12 PM

O RLY?

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Valynth

I'd love to see how those Muslims explain the mass protests in which they burn effigies of people and threaten violence whenever someone so much as contemplates drawing an image of Muhammad or, God help us all, not putting some form a praise behind his name.  I mean, I'm Cathloic and by the same virtue that the Muslims extoll to keep images of Muhammad from surfacing, I should be able to force them to never draw an image of Jesus.  Since I won't do that because of my belief in freedom of speech/expression, THEY should accept that images of their PROPHET are just as acceptable as images of MY GOD!  Drawing an image of Muhammad isn't treating muslims as "inferior,"  in fact, it says "welcome to the western world, where your religion is on the same damn footing as a Christian relgion."

Also, when was the last time you heard someone be openly honest about wanting to kill some one else?  Especially when they know the repercussions of having that want.  There is also a point that they see this an an opprotunity to get the west to lower its gaurd with a simple lie.

Another point is if there is such a mass concessus for the equality of women, why the hell haven't we SEEN any of it?  I'm pretty sure the news media would instantly zoom in on even the tiniest sign of female equality in a Islamic nation for the sole point of making the U.S. look like an evil empire.

There is also a flaw is his assumption that the good parts of the islamic faith are shared with outsiders.  In fact, they ARE NOT.  Muslims explicitly state that such virtues are only to be held in interactions between other Muslims.  The assumption there is that the outsider who isn't a muslim doesn't deserve the same respect as a muslim.

Brunhidden

some of you may be familiar with the Swedish pup cerbis, but probably not his equally Swedish twin brother. talking to this fine swede about moving nearby and how things in the local area are going his words to me were 'don't move into southern Sweden', when i asked why he said 'theres so many muslums you would think its the middle east'.

apperantly Islamic immigrants primarily from iran have traveled en masse to the warmer parts of Sweden, rake in hefty government benefits packages to immigrants, adamantly refuse to learn a single word of Swedish, for the most part avoid even trying to find work, and the best part is they STONE SWEDES just for not being muslum.... gee, you move into a country thats over 95% Christian and are surprised to find people who aren't muslem, and your first impulse is to hurl rocks in the street? and yet if the several thousand Christian swedes started throwing things at the muslums they would be vilified and reviled by the world, even though the reverse doesn't even get into the paper half the time.

yeah, i would think if a few hundred people move next door, mooch off the government, and then hurl rocks at your neighbors you might have a LOW opinion of them.... however i do understand that the majority of muslums are just peachy, mostly friendly, and probably not insane..... its that small percentage that just has to wave guns around and scream death to all in the name of peace.... yeah, way to win us all over

in truth the percentage of assholes is very small, however something in the asshole brain causes them to spread out in the absolutely most visible way possible to cover the most area. my brother once did research in campgrounds and parks during holidays, and made a map of where every tent/rv was and plotted where the assholes were- only about one in every fifteen campers was an asshole, but they spaced themselves out to broaden their effect, and my brother further did polls to find out the radius of effect each asshole caused on neighbors and added this to the map. unsurprisingly he was left with a map of circles that just barely overlapped, allowing less then five assholes screwing up a labor day weekend for over fifty campers.

my brother did all kinds of weird stuff like that, one time he even spent six hours with the help of friends to discover what types of soda had the most belch.... it was root beer but i forget what brand.

Sunblink

QuoteThere is also a point that they see this an an opprotunity to get the west to lower its gaurd with a simple lie.

Yes, because it's all a giant conspiracy and a billion Muslims would like nothing more than to see the U.S. sink like the Titanic. [/sarcasm]

QuoteI'm pretty sure the news media would instantly zoom in on even the tiniest sign of female equality in a Islamic nation for the sole point of making the U.S. look like an evil empire.

Oh yes, damn that liberal media and their efforts to corrupt the minds of our children and weaken the resolves of our allies. [/even more sarcasm]

Consider this: those who use violence and those who shout out the most bigoted bullcrap tend to be the loudest, the most dominating, and they stampede all over the efforts of people who actually hold moderate and balanced beliefs. Extremists do whatever they can to belt their opinions out through a megaphone and generally spread their bigotry every which way. What makes you think that doesn't apply to the Muslim world as well?

Anyway, this is a really, really stupid argument and I don't get how this topic turned to some sort of anti-Islamic parade on your part to begin with, so I'm outta here.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on April 15, 2008, 10:22:46 AM
Yes, because it's all a giant conspiracy and a billion Muslims would like nothing more than to see the U.S. sink like the Titanic. [/sarcasm]

Doesn't have to be the Muslims.  From what I've seen, pretty much all of Europe, most of Canada, all of China, and 70% of the United States, would love to see the United States turn into a burning wasteland.

Makes IFF easy enough, though, once you realize that everyone's your enemy.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Volfram on April 15, 2008, 12:45:35 PM
From what I've seen, pretty much all of Europe, most of Canada, all of China, and 70% of the United States, would love to see the United States turn into a burning wasteland.
I think you may be conflating the people of the US with the leadership a bit there...

Makes IFF easy enough, though, once you realize that everyone's your enemy.
Can you say "self-fulfilling prophecy"?  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Valynth

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on April 15, 2008, 10:22:46 AM
QuoteThere is also a point that they see this an an opprotunity to get the west to lower its gaurd with a simple lie.

QuoteI'm pretty sure the news media would instantly zoom in on even the tiniest sign of female equality in a Islamic nation for the sole point of making the U.S. look like an evil empire.

Oh yes, damn that liberal media and their efforts to corrupt the minds of our children and weaken the resolves of our allies. [/even more sarcasm]

Consider this: those who use violence and those who shout out the most bigoted bullcrap tend to be the loudest, the most dominating, and they stampede all over the efforts of people who actually hold moderate and balanced beliefs. Extremists do whatever they can to belt their opinions out through a megaphone and generally spread their bigotry every which way. What makes you think that doesn't apply to the Muslim world as well?

Anyway, this is a really, really stupid argument and I don't get how this topic turned to some sort of anti-Islamic parade on your part to begin with, so I'm outta here.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

I don't give a flying DAMN about what people are saying.  In case you're new to this world, the Muslim world has a LONG HISTORY of lying to the western world.  It's gotten so bad that you can't trust what they say.  I'm basing my view on what they are ACTUALLY DOING.  If these "moderate Muslims" actually WERE moderate they would be trying to stop the extremists, but instead they're supporting them through complacency instead of rebelling against the extremists.

I also challenge you to find ONE Islamic/Muslim nation that has completely, on its own, given complete equality to women.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Valynth on April 15, 2008, 01:48:13 PM
I also challenge you to find ONE Islamic/Muslim nation that has completely, on its own, given complete equality to women.

... I challenge you to find one non-Muslim nation that has done the same, first.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Valynth

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 15, 2008, 02:10:26 PM
Quote from: Valynth on April 15, 2008, 01:48:13 PM

... I challenge you to find one non-Muslim nation that has done the same, first.

Lets see, the U.S. and Britain seem to be doing a good job of it.  It's gotten to the point in the U.S. where the only real difference between a man and a woman is the amount of wages and even that is starting to close, but that isn't a part of the law and its applications now is it?  Of course the U.K. is starting to lose my favor in that regard by allowing Muslims to establish their countries within a country. (Sharia law treats women as Chattel, guess what law Muslim nations live under?)

Case in point, my sister earns more each year than my father EVER did, and infact she makes more money than most PEOPLE in her field because of her expertise.

Fuyudenki

To be fair, I'd actually argue the US is on the fast track to a Matriarchal society.  Can't say about Britain.

Doesn't bother me.  I try to treat women well, though, figuring if I treat them well before the revolution, they'll treat me well afterwards.

The pendulum is swinging backwards.  It's only a matter of time until men are considered possessions, the same way men have been treating women as possessions for centuries.

Brunhidden

Doesn't have to be the Muslims.  From what I've seen, pretty much all of Europe, most of Canada, all of China, and 70% of the United States, would love to see the United States turn into a burning wasteland.

i have friends in many parts of the world, and some of them are reasonably anti-american and were quite stunned when i told them about how americans are usually the first to protest american actions, and often are protesting the loudest.

many of the people who feel like criticizing america should probably give it a rest, were doing a fine job of finding enough to rant about on our own.

also, things like this have to remind you that america and americans are not the same. bush does not speak for america, hes just the head idiot, and for a long long time the american government has been run by people that represent the inbred hillbilly portion of america. i bet every country has its own version of texas where people like that come from, so they can understand if they actually try.

Quote from: Volfram on April 15, 2008, 07:25:31 PM
To be fair, I'd actually argue the US is on the fast track to a Matriarchal society.  Can't say about Britain.

Doesn't bother me.  I try to treat women well, though, figuring if I treat them well before the revolution, they'll treat me well afterwards.

The pendulum is swinging backwards.  It's only a matter of time until men are considered possessions, the same way men have been treating women as possessions for centuries.

a lot of femenists are loathe to admit they are actually pressing for female supremacy instead of equality. we HAVE equality, a woman applying for a job as a police officer or judge is so common that nobody even really cares, women vote just as often as men and nobody cares, and nobody seems to care that a person of color can do exactly the same without the cops sending dogs on them.

we live in a world where most of the dreams (not all, that would require singling out the morons that give everyone else a bad name, and ironically doing so is against the philosophy it supports) of the civil rights activists have come true. the next president of the united states will be either black or a woman, and nobody even seemed to notice at first until about a month ago when each accused the other of using their 'minority' status to gain sympathy...

yeah, somehow women who are 51% of the population get preferential treatment as though they were a minority. also when you tally up the african americans, latinos, and other ethnic groups who are 'minority' they easily outnumber the 'majority' of Caucasians.

and i am STILL irritated that when i fill out a job application there is sometimes as many as twelve different boxes for what race you could be, including three kinds of african american and four or five kinds of latino.... and yet 'white' is only one box, regardless that it covers descendants of so many vastly different countries, including egypt, russia, canada, and pretty much every country in between.... but giving 'white folk' more then one box would somehow be racist now wouldn't it?

people should get into their heads what 'equal' means

Alondro

Bill Clinton came from Arkansas.  That's even more hillbilly than Texas, BTW.   >:3

I'm from New Jersey.  We have the state with the most corrupt wasteful government.  Therefore I should be President cuz I'd fit right in!

And as for protesting, China's gonna be taking over for USA pretty soon as the focus of anger if they keep up what they're doing.

I know people like hating the USA, but China's REALLY trying to become the #1 superpower in this are too with its rampant pollution, environmental destruction, and oppressive government.

They're still fueling the market for tiger and rhino parts for their absurd folk aphrodesiacs, you know.  Last time I checked, both were critically endangered.  They're wiping two large species of animals out primarily for better sex!  And their zoos are a disaster too, animals being bred and sold for the parts under the table.

India still has quite a few murders each year due to members of a lower traditional caste trying to move up in society and the higher castes resenting them.  There is still enormous inequality in India because of social castes.

And lets not forget about pretty much every government in Africa, where the people are dirt poor while the uber-corrupt government officials steal everything and become billionaires.  And let's not forget Zimbabwe, which went from being the bread-basket of Africa with a thriving economy to a rat-hole with explosive inflation all because of a president Mugabe's land-grabbing and power-mongering.

If people want to attack the US and try to represent us as this terrible nation, they'll have to deal with me!  Because I know just how bad the rest of the world is!

I'd just like a President who for once would have the guts to say, "Ok, you don't like us getting involved?  Fine!  All aid to everybody is hereby CUT OFF!  Fix your own damn problems, world!  Our economy is a mess now and we're over $9 trillion in debt, so we'll just be taking care of ourselves from now on.  And if we get attacked again, no war this time.  We'll just vaporize the country responsible and leave it a smoking radioactive crater for the next few centuries, end of story!" 

Then we'd see just how well the world fares.   >:3

Fuyudenki

Wouldn't fare very well.  I'd resort to my usual response: point and laugh.

The rest of the world's so busy ripping on the US they don't realize all we've done for them, and are still doing.  I agree with the smoking crater strategy, too.  Speaking of which, why is Afghanistan not glass yet!?