TV Frustrations

Started by thegayhare, February 24, 2008, 06:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

I know there are alot of other more important things to worry about but lately I've been getting frustrated at most television stations.

Mainly it's the upsurge of TV pop up spam (I can think of no better term for it)  Now I  don't mind the little corner decal with the station ident, but these dam things have gotten extreamly obnoxious.  These can feature anything from charactors walking out along the bottom of the screen, or just a pop up telling you the name of the current show or advertising some other show.  Hell I even saw one that had animals run into the middle of the screen . not along the bottom but into the center of the screen.

Some of these are very simple, and them I don't mins so much but some are realy distracting you from the show.  It's so frustrating and some times it can ruin a film or show.  I've seen several examples where these pop up happen during a a scen with some one speaking a foriegn language and the damn pop up obscures the subtitles...

ARRRG
It's just so frustrating.

as a side frustration, there is a channel that vexs me so much.  It plays it's films and shows at a low volume, and it's commercials at a higher one...

htat is all

superluser

Yeah.  I hate the animated bugs, too.

The static ones in the corner really don't bother me, and I tune them out, but the full animation ones need to be shot.

If you've got any plans for how to do the shooting, I'm all ears.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Faerie Alex

Mmm. I've seen a few like that, with the animation. They're annoying, but come to think of it, I actually haven't seen any in a while.

However, I do agree with you fully on the bit about volume differences. FUNimation Channel has to be one of the worst. When they play Fruits Basket, they do it so it seems like all of the char's are whispering, but then they play their commercials like they're in a movie theater.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

GabrielsThoughts

the ones on FX have actual sound... and so I've  stopped watching FX in protest.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Brunhidden

the different volumes between programs and commercials has been going on for a long time, its actually on purpose to grab attention.

however TV manufacturers in the mid 90s started advertising for TVs with computers inside to automatically adjust your volume between loud commercials and quiet shows. you don't usually see this anymore because its standard, and i assume the channel you found has discovered a loophole in the TV's computer and can thus charge advertisers more because they're the only channel that can blast commercials like that
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

rt

Raises hand for annoyment of pop-up adds.
I can do without the various network bugs/watermarks too.

Volume is usually OK here overall usually I watch TV shows not movies. Those whispery movies are terrible though. If any one teaches acting school please teach you actors how to talk quietly. When you whisper loud (whisper yell?) all you get is breathing.

Ryudo Lee

Heh, I was actually watching an episode of Chowder on CTN, and Chowder was trying to learn how to write better, and ended up writing all over everything, and then did a kind of fourth-wall break where he wrote on the tv screen.  One of the other characters told him to clean it up, and he did, and then approached the CTN watermark and the other character told him not to try to wash that one away, since it doesn't wash off.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

thegayhare

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on February 25, 2008, 09:03:38 AM
Heh, I was actually watching an episode of Chowder on CTN, and Chowder was trying to learn how to write better, and ended up writing all over everything, and then did a kind of fourth-wall break where he wrote on the tv screen.  One of the other characters told him to clean it up, and he did, and then approached the CTN watermark and the other character told him not to try to wash that one away, since it doesn't wash off.

LOL

yeah I saw that one too

I thought that was won of the best chowder jokes I've seen

Alteisentier

One more reason why I don't bother watching TV anymore and simply download all the shows I want to watch.
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*