AVP-R[with spoilers]

Started by GabrielsThoughts, December 26, 2007, 04:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielsThoughts

here's the entire plot folks

the Predator Xenomorph hybrid killes the other pilot... alein craft crashes into a woodland area somewhwere in the heartland of america... Face huggers kill a boy and his father, then a big daddy preditor comes to earth, disintegrates the bodies, blows up a space ship and skins a police officer... ten more random killings the xenomorph-predator hybrid lays eggs in prenant women at the hospital making more babies, and the only way to escape the city alive are helicopters at the top of the hospital... then the government drops an atomic bomb on the city and everyone who chose to listen to the government dies in a horrific nuclear explosion...the end.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

bill

bill

GabrielsThoughts

it deserves an f minus minus... although it was a horrible sci-fi it was an excellent horror movie. although, I have to admit the plot sucked. The entire budget was spent on special effects alone, which sucks. I kept thinking they could have done a better job, as a monster you would think movie it deserves a 3 star or B minus rating, even with a standard 1950's formulaic horror movie plot.  however you know something went wrong when the Cloverfeild (aka 1-18-08) preview trumps the actual movie that follows.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Saist

I remember the first movie being described as "a half hour of rock wrapped in an hour of suck"

So I wasn't actually expecting much from any sequels. I'll stick to my Monolith Developed AvP2 and hope that someday, they make an AvP3.

GabrielsThoughts

Unfortunately the same geniuses behind AVP-R are making an AVP3 as we speak, so we'll have to wait until someone else makes predator 3 or they contract someone else for AVP-4.

Saist

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on December 28, 2007, 09:55:01 PM
Unfortunately the same geniuses behind AVP-R are making an AVP3 as we speak, so we'll have to wait until someone else makes predator 3 or they contract someone else for AVP-4.

*gives a chuckle*  Random bit of trivia.  Infinity Ward, the developers behind Call of Duty were not involved with Call of Duty 3. So, when reviewers were given access to Call of Duty 4 which was once again helmed by Infinity Ward, many reviewers noted that the Windows Executable File was named "CoD3.exe." Some also noted that inside Infinity Ward there was a running semi-serious joke that Call of Duty 4 was the "real" Call of Duty 3.

Basically then, it's not uncommon for developers to completely dismiss versions of what they view as their games. There are some factors as to why Monolith wouldn't handle the title. They've pretty much already stated that their current projects are a true sequel to F.E.A.R., and another entry into the long running No One Lives Forever series.  While they have expressed interest in working on another AvP, they'd have a preference for telling their own story, not somebody elses.

However, the statement that Fox is behind an AvP3 game is incorrect. They aren't. Fox's project to create an AvP3 game was killed when some idiot started a petition over on Petition Online, which is near automatic project killer for most ESA registered developers and publishers. While Sega holds the license to Aliens Versus Predator titles, as reported by The Hollywood Reporter back in 2006, none of their internal teams are currently listed to be developing the property.

That Sega holds the license is actually sort of a worry. Many of their recent attempts at making video games have tried far too hard. I haven't gotten around to trying NiGHTS Wii yet... but pretty much every other Sega PS3 and Wii title I've tried so far just hasn't been able to generate a good feeling. It would also be important to note that Sega wasn't involved in AvPR, and there has been little to no reported factual information on what Sega plans for the future. Which just means that their press agent got an email about 5 minutes ago asking if there was any comment available.

rabid_fox

Wait. With spoilers? I think you're really making the word "with" work to hard here. The topic was nothing but spoilers.

That's ok, I'm delighted to hear this situation because when a sci-fi film is well received by the public and the media, it means that it has failed miserably and is the biggest pile of pretentious wank imaginable, unwatchable by anyone with more than two braincells pointedly avoiding each other at opposite sides of the otherwise empty skull.

Sci-fi is supposed to be trash. I look forwards to seeing this AVP-R (which sounds like a gun, actually).

Oh dear.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: rabid_fox on December 30, 2007, 09:57:18 AM
Wait. With spoilers? I think you're really making the word "with" work to hard here. The topic was nothing but spoilers.

I think you mean "too" ;-]

Quote from: rabid_fox on December 30, 2007, 09:57:18 AM
Sci-fi is supposed to be trash. I look forwards to seeing this AVP-R (which sounds like a gun, actually).

I beg to differ. Sci-Fi is supposed to be well thought out, thought-provoking, and subtle. Sadly, the lowest common denominator is trash. *shrug*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

rabid_fox

I (I am not smart enough to use polite words) to think of myself as being as low a lifeform as one can be with a multicellular body structure. Unfortunately, IT technicians keep surpassing me for scumminess.

Oh dear.

Alondro

It can't be science fiction if there's no science.

What we have here is a badly written monster movie, with monsters that just happen to be from space.  The exact same plot could work if Dracula came down to stop a zombie-vapire hybrid.   :P

Oh god, I just gave the movie studios ANOTHER idea!   :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Saist

I think they already did that dracula idea before.

Valynth

Quote from: je.saist on December 30, 2007, 08:48:35 PM

And they called it Castlevania.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Alondro

Quote from: Valynth on December 30, 2007, 09:08:01 PM

Hee hee.

That won't stop them from making the movie though.  They'll recycle tired plots as often as they can make money out of them.   :rolleyes
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Valynth

Quote from: Alondro on December 30, 2007, 09:44:38 PM
Quote from: Valynth on December 30, 2007, 09:08:01 PM

Hee hee.

That won't stop them from making the movie though.  They'll recycle tired plots as often as they can make money out of them.   :rolleyes

Makes you wonder why they even have writers.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Valynth on December 30, 2007, 09:48:27 PM

I thought they didn't, at the moment?

Alondro

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2007, 09:45:47 AM
Quote from: Valynth on December 30, 2007, 09:48:27 PM

I thought they didn't, at the moment?

I can't really tell the difference.   :3

Dannysaysnoo

When i went to the cinemas to see Hitman, i saw a woman staring at a poster for this film, and having trouble pronouncing Requiem. Intelligence, eh?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yeah. Requiem for a hosehead.

GabrielsThoughts

whatever your opinion of the movie AVP-R has perverted the whole franchise. You do realize the plot used was standard 1950's "OMG! the monster is attacking a small town in middle america and there is nothing we can do to stop them." The writers/directors used this uninspired and out dated Horror  plot as an excuse to to kill babies and pregnant women while justifying the murder of everyone else...

things that made the movie loose its credibility:

1)The Predator did nothing more than pour a dissolving agent over dead bodies, use guns that were slightly more effective than earth based weapons  and set traps... he did absolutely nothing nothing a human couldn't do with the exact same technology, hell apparently Our infrared technology surpasses that of the Predator's.

2) The military fails and is incapable of stopping a rouge group of Xenomorphs and a whole platoon of 70 men was wiped out in less than 60seconds by one alien... not the hybrid, just the classic xenomorph. their only pupose was to provide the locals with an eight wheeled transport vehicle.

3) A small group of unskilled, untrained, locals (Including a convict, a pizza boy, the Sheriff, three pretty white kids with problems who are there as Redshirts, a Veteran soldier and her 5 year old daughter, and a mary sue who is also a redshirt) are  besieged by two aliens. Despite being in a gun shop, no one knows how to actually shoot a gun,throw a grenade, or the basic knowledge of a Molitoff Cocktail, and the ones who should know how to shoot can't aim at the slow moving Xenomorphs. However, the Predator [who is even slower than the Xenomorphs, and whose aim is far worse than the humans] easily catches the puny  human in a rabbit trap that was set to catch Xenomorphs, but this trap  proves far more useful in luring Xenomorphs out.

4)during a mass evacuation people forget they are American and drive on the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD.

5)If a nuclear facility is about to blow up, do you really care if there's a double yellow line on the road when you evacuate the city?

6) why was there no footage of someone running over a Xenomorph with their car?

7)if a nuclear facility is about to blow up anyway, would you really need to drop a nuclear bomb over the center of town?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Nuclear facilities tend to fail safe - they don't blow up, even if you want them to. What you'll find is they tend to shut themselves down, rather than failing catastrophically. If you get past that, what they'll usually do is melt down - burn a gaping big hole in the bottom of the reactor core enclosure and drop the melted remains of the core through it. Obviously this isn't good for the environment, but it's not an explosion as such...

And let's not get into "if you build a tunnel in a u-bend shape, you can hide inside it and survive a nuclear attack easily, assuming you have some internal resistance to radioactivity"...

Faerie Alex

If I remember correctly, during nuclear meltdown, the more immediate danger comes from the release of radioactive gases, as happened at Chernobyl and as might have happened at Three Mile Island, had the concrete building/container failed to contain the pressure. So, there wouldn't be an explosion, per se, but more like if a balloon pops.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

llearch n'n'daCorna

By-products of melting things that aren't supposed to be melted, yes.

Rakala

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on December 26, 2007, 04:00:20 PM
here's the entire plot folks

the Predator Xenomorph hybrid killes the other pilot... alein craft crashes into a woodland area somewhwere in the heartland of america... Face huggers kill a boy and his father, then a big daddy preditor comes to earth, disintegrates the bodies, blows up a space ship and skins a police officer... ten more random killings the xenomorph-predator hybrid lays eggs in prenant women at the hospital making more babies, and the only way to escape the city alive are helicopters at the top of the hospital... then the government drops an atomic bomb on the city and everyone who chose to listen to the government dies in a horrific nuclear explosion...the end.

I could've lived with the movie if it weren't for extreme gratuitous violence involving children and pregnant women. >.< I never wanted to see 6 baby aliens pop out of a pregnant lady. It was wrong and disgusting. I mean all the director was trying to show is that the aliens are brutal and unfeeling, but that could easily be shown in other ways. Like how they killed 2 fathers already in the movie.  I also hated how the predator never really interfered when he really should've, such as when the alien killed the room full of babies or the pregnant woman. It was just ridicuolous. Also it wasn't a nuclear bomb, just a regular missile. Sorry for taking us off track for a moment. Resume current conversation.