The Ambivalent Sexism Inventory

Started by superluser, December 10, 2007, 10:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

http://www.understandingprejudice.org/asi/

Yes, I consider it a game, for reasons that I'll explain later.  If the mods want to move this somewhere else, that's fine.

My scores?

Hostile Sexism Score: 7,443.91
Benevolent Sexism Score: 6,775.27

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Eibborn

Hostile Sexism Score: 2.18
Benevolent Sexism Score: 1.09

I suck, or something. Iunno.

Wait, how did I end up with these figures while yours rank in the thousands?
What do they even mean?
/kicks the internet over

DoctaMario

Hostile Sexism Score: 2.45
Benevolent Sexism Score: 2.64

That's an interesting test! Thanks for posting that!

techmaster-glitch

Heh, my score was on the low side;
Hostile: 1.18
Benevolent: 1.27

Kasarn

Hostile Sexism Score:  2.09
Benevolent Sexism Score: 1.73

superluser

Quote from: Eibbor_N on December 11, 2007, 12:06:38 AMWait, how did I end up with these figures while yours rank in the thousands?

I hit the back button and then the forward button, so I think I broke the script.

My initial score was

Hostile Sexism Score: 1.73
Benevolent Sexism Score: 1.36

Quote from: Eibbor_N on December 11, 2007, 12:06:38 AMWhat do they even mean?

That's a good question.  I think it's an average of how sexist your responses are, according to their metrics.  So if you answered everything with a 2, your score would be between 2 and 3 (in fact, 2.27.  I just tried it)

But there are more issues with the test than just that one, and it really can't be considered much more than any other online quiz, like ``Which 4chan directory are you?''

I'm going to wait to see if this stirs any discussion before eviscerating it, though.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hostile Sexism Score:  2.18
Benevolent Sexism Score: 2.73

Interestingly, question 16 has -one- variance, but there's no matching variance. eg, they ask "When women lose to men in a fair competition, they typically complain about being discriminated against." - which I agree with. But I -also- think that men do exactly the same thing - so it's a wash.

And 20, "Men should be willing to sacrifice their own well being in order to provide financially for the women in their lives." I agree with strongly, again. But also that -women- should do exactly the same, and there's no question about that.

Interestingly biased questions.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 11, 2007, 06:39:59 AMInterestingly biased questions.

Yup.  Time to eviscerate:

People are often truly happy in life without being romantically involved with a member of the other sex.

How do you answer that? I think that I am not truly happy without being romantically involved, and I think that, statistically speaking, most people would answer that they feel the same way. But then what about people who would only be truly happy with someone of their own sex?

Women should be cherished and protected by men.

Sure. Men should be cherished and protected by men as well. Cherish and protect all of your loved ones.

Women seek to gain power by getting control over men.

Yes. And men seek to gain power by getting control over women.

Women exaggerate problems they have at work.

So do men.

Once a woman gets a man to commit to her, she usually tries to put him on a tight leash.

Just like men try to do to women.

Men should be willing to sacrifice their own well being in order to provide financially for the women in their lives.

And for the men in their lives.

Feminists are making entirely reasonable demands of men.

Sure. I'm sure that somewhere in the litany of complaints, there are at least two entirely reasonable demands. (actually, I think that the vast majority of feminists are making reasonable demands)

So to sum up, the survey is sexist because it doesn't give you the same situations for both sexes.

The sad thing is that it was made by two professors (one from Princeton), and made it into a journal (presumably peer-reviewed):

The Ambivalent Sexism Inventory was developed by Professor Peter Glick of Lawrence University and Professor Susan T. Fiske of Princeton University. The first published article on ambivalent sexism and the inventory appeared in the March, 1996, issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

Also, it makes the assumption that there is only misogyny, never misandry.

Which, within a standard deviation, is probably not a bad assumption to make. But it does skew the results.

Actually, I think that a different method of evaluating the questions could actually make the test really useful. For example, there are a lot of questions that come in pairs like the following:

- Women should be cherished and protected by men.
- A good woman should be set on a pedestal by her man.

Answering `true' to the first one and `false' to the second could be evidence that you see women as equals and not as chattel to be pampered.

Which would make a question like the following:

- Most women interpret innocent remarks or acts as being sexist.

more significant. If you say it's true, then it suggests that this answer is more accurate because you can't claim sex bias on that one. (at least, given most men I know)

So here is a list of statements that are *not* sexist, according to this survey:

- Men are not are too easily offended.
- Men should not be cherished and protected by men.
- People are infrequently truly happy in life without being romantically involved with a member of the same sex.
- Most men do not fail to appreciate fully all that women do for them.
- Men do not seek to gain power by getting control over women.
- Men do not exaggerate problems they have at work.
- Once a man gets a woman to commit to him, he does not usually try to put her on a tight leash.
- Men should be willing to sacrifice their own well being in order to provide financially for the men in their lives.

Ryudo Lee

Hostile Sexism Score: 2.73
Benevolent Sexism Score: 3.09

Looks like I'm on average for the hostile score, and above average for the benevolent score.  Hm...

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

llearch n'n'daCorna

The question is, superluser, are they measuring sexism? Or are they measuring how people react to being asked sexist questions?

You can use the same set of questions for both - in one, you're using the results to show something that really requires the questions be unbiased. In the other, you don't care if they're biased or not, or at least, not in the same way...

Fuyudenki

(for some reason, can't take the quiz right now.  I'll try later.)

as far as "People are often truly happy in life without being romantically involved with a member of the other sex," all I have to say is that sitcoms like Scrubs and King of Queens make me really happy that I don't have a girlfriend.

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 11, 2007, 02:48:57 PMThe question is, superluser, are they measuring sexism? Or are they measuring how people react to being asked sexist questions?

What they're actually measuring is open for discussion, but what they designed the survey to do is the following:

(a) it must assess both hostile and benevolent sexism
(b) for pragmatic reasons, the final measure should be easily administered, able to be completed quickly, and simple to score

I've got the PDF here, but I've had a busy week, and so I'll see if they mention the ``It's true for everyone'' thing later.

Gabi

Hostile Sexism Score:  0.82
Benevolent Sexism Score: 1.09

Lowest scores so far.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Suwako

Hostile Sexism Score:  0.91
Benevolent Sexism Score: 2.18

It would help to know what feminists say..  :< *fails*

internet tests, I do not take serious.. ever.

I want a middle answer, to have like .a . "not more then the other sex." answer.

Dannysaysnoo

Hostile Sexism Score:  3.64
Benevolent Sexism Score: 2.91

is that good?

Jim Halisstrad

Sure danny boy, in a get in the kitchen and bake me a pie sort of way.

Here's what I faired.    
Hostile Sexism Score: 2.27
Benevolent Sexism Score: 1.00

Sienna Maiu - M T

Hostile Sexism Score: 2.00
Benevolent Sexism Score: 1.91
* Sienna Maiu - M T is hostile

Back off!

Darkmoon

Hostile Sexism Score:  4.55
Benevolent Sexism Score: 5.00

But then... I also purposefully tried to break the test.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Miaka

Hostile Sexism Score:  1.27
Benevolent Sexism Score: 0.73

I think that second one's the lowest score so far. >>
*shrug*

Jigsaw Forte

Hostile Sexism Score:  0.45
Benevolent Sexism Score: 2.00

Lowest Hostility Score so far! w00t!

Angel

Hm. First time I took it, my scores were 1.18 and 2.27, respectively. Now they seem to have increased.

Hostile Sexism Score: 2.45
Benevolent Sexism Score: 2.09

Why do you think that is?
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Vidar

Hostile Sexism Score:  3.27
Benevolent Sexism Score: 0.45

But maybe that's just because I hate people in general, and not just members of the opposite sex.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Alkarii

Hostile: 2.82
Benevolent: 0.91

Yeah, I'm gonna agree that this thing is biased, for the reasons already stated.  Also, it 's really not giving me the option to say that I completely agree with the women who want equality with men, but I disagree with anyone who thinks that anyone is or should be inferior to another on basis of gender or any of that other crap.

(uh... I think I'll just stop now before I go into a rant)

VSMIT

Hostile: 3.18
Benevolent: 1.55

These questions were amazingly biased.  Makes me wonder who created this quiz...

Caswin

Quote from: superluser on December 11, 2007, 08:49:16 AMSo here is a list of statements that are *not* sexist, according to this survey:

- Men are not are too easily offended.
- Men should not be cherished and protected by men.
- People are infrequently truly happy in life without being romantically involved with a member of the same sex.
- Most men do not fail to appreciate fully all that women do for them.
- Men do not seek to gain power by getting control over women.
- Men do not exaggerate problems they have at work.
- Once a man gets a woman to commit to him, he does not usually try to put her on a tight leash.
- Men should be willing to sacrifice their own well being in order to provide financially for the men in their lives.
I... don't quite see those, I'm afraid.  And they actually don't sound sexist to me.  They don't sound right, either, but they don't sound sexist.

Oh, and:

Hostile Sexism Score: 2.09
Benevolent Sexism Score: 2.27
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah... Cas....

This counts as necro, a bit. You think?