Are there actually any Castlevania fans here?

Started by DoctaMario, November 10, 2007, 10:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctaMario

It's funny cuz on the surface this looks like a Castlevania site, though there's nary a Castlevania discussion to be had, and most of them look like they die pretty quick. Are there actually any Castlevania fans here or is the name "Clockwork Mansion" kind of a misnomer?

Eibborn

/kicks the internet over

llearch n'n'daCorna

Isn't this a repeat? I'm sure we've talked about this before...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jim Halisstrad

I rite Simon/Alucard slash bishy ficks.
all teh tiem.

thegayhare

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 11, 2007, 08:34:54 AM

yes sir we have.  I think the last thread on this subject was shortly after the consolidation

now to the Op
this realy isn't a castlevainia fan forum.  It's a comic forum dedicated to 3 comics. One is a castlevania sprite comic and it was the original comic hence the reason for the castiviana themes.  some time later Darkmoon and Damaris invited Amber to host her forum here where she'd have more control then on the nice.  So we DMFA posters seem to be a more active, verbose, and post happy group then the orriginal CVRPG posters.  they are still here just not as active as some of us

jakshep3

I'm A CV fan myself, and i was thinking of the same thing. whenever i post up a thread about CV, no-one replies or says anything. I thought that was the reason why the forum was actually set up, but evidently not.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: thegayhare on November 11, 2007, 09:09:14 AM

yes sir we have.  I think the last thread on this subject was shortly after the consolidation

I meant in the last week or so, rather than that far back, although I do appreciate the information. ;-]

Quote from: jakshep3 on November 11, 2007, 09:28:47 AM
I'm A CV fan myself, and i was thinking of the same thing. whenever i post up a thread about CV, no-one replies or says anything. I thought that was the reason why the forum was actually set up, but evidently not.

Oh, the forum was set up for CVRPG, not for CV per se. However, as TGH pointed out, the CV fans are few and far between, compared to the DMFA fans.

*shrug*

Fuyudenki

Between the vampires and difficulty curve, I can honestly say that I am not a fan of Castlevania.

It's almost harder than Megaman.

Darkmoon

The early ones, yes. Not the later one. Those are pretty easy.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

DoctaMario

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 11, 2007, 12:45:22 PM
Quote from: thegayhare on November 11, 2007, 09:09:14 AM

I meant in the last week or so, rather than that far back, although I do appreciate the information. ;-]

Quote from: jakshep3 on November 11, 2007, 09:28:47 AM

Oh, the forum was set up for CVRPG, not for CV per se. However, as TGH pointed out, the CV fans are few and far between, compared to the DMFA fans.

*shrug*

I just got here so I didn't know y'all had already talked about this. You can close this up if you want to.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: DoctaMario on November 12, 2007, 10:43:45 AM
I just got here so I didn't know y'all had already talked about this. You can close this up if you want to.

People are talking. *shrug* We're not averse to that, all indications to the contrary. ;-] If it happens to be a topic we've already covered, so be it. *shrug*

James StarRunner

Quote from: Darkmoon on November 11, 2007, 04:14:17 PM
Ya... I never did beat the third game. I swear I must have gotten somewhere near the end though. There can't be THAT many levels in Dracula's castle...

DoctaMario

Quote from: James StarRunner on November 13, 2007, 05:21:57 AM
Quote from: Darkmoon on November 11, 2007, 04:14:17 PM
Ya... I never did beat the third game. I swear I must have gotten somewhere near the end though. There can't be THAT many levels in Dracula's castle...

I think there are at least 6 or 7 levels in Dracula's Castle in Castlevania III if I'm not mistaken. Though it depends on which route you take. The lower route is longer and harder.

James StarRunner

I must have been on the 2nd last level or something. I might have to try those games on an emulator. Save states = awesomeness.

Gareeku

Quote from: James StarRunner on November 13, 2007, 05:19:14 PM
I must have been on the 2nd last level or something. I might have to try those games on an emulator. Save states = awesomeness.

Hope you own a copy of the original game, 'cause that's illegal. :P

Fuyudenki

technically, they're still illegal, even if you own the original game.  Read Nintendo's EULA some time.

Best just not to talk about them.

Darkmoon

Or you could hit a local used game shop. Many of the classics shops will have the NES CVs. Good times.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

DoctaMario

Quote from: Darkmoon on November 14, 2007, 06:03:16 PM
Or you could hit a local used game shop. Many of the classics shops will have the NES CVs. Good times.

Do you remember the ads in some of those old gaming mags where they'd be selling NES games like Double Dragon 2 and Wrestlemania for like, $59.99? And now you can get them for a buck. Lol!

jakshep3

Quote from: Raist on November 13, 2007, 09:23:54 PM
technically, they're still illegal, even if you own the original game.  Read Nintendo's EULA some time.

Best just not to talk about them.

lol, nintendo is a videogame company, not a solicitors, and it's not the law that they're telling you- it's their way of trying to scare you into not getting roms and emu's. sadly for them, lots of their systems are very easy to emulate, and development for them has gone rapid in the last year or two. so technically, emu's are not illegal, which is why I get so annoyed when I get blocked for asking about emu's. whatever.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: jakshep3 on November 26, 2007, 11:44:55 AM
lol, nintendo is a videogame company, not a solicitors, and it's not the law that they're telling you- it's their way of trying to scare you into not getting roms and emu's. sadly for them, lots of their systems are very easy to emulate, and development for them has gone rapid in the last year or two. so technically, emu's are not illegal, which is why I get so annoyed when I get blocked for asking about emu's. whatever.

You clicked on the EULA. You agreed to it. Sure, it might not be law - but until actual case law says it's NOT law, it WILL BE treated as if it is law here.

The rules state: "Keep all that illegal stuff completely off of the forum."

We do not CARE if it's only technically illegal. We don't give a damn if it's legal for you, and only illegal for someone else. We really do not give a shit if you're getting grumpy over being told not to do it. If it's that much of an issue, you know where the door is. We really won't mind if you go away and never come back.

If you -do- decide to stick around, don't keep grumbling about it. This is the very last time anyone will tell you this. Take heed.

Reese Tora

Emulators aren't illegal in and of themselves, but they are commonly used to play illegal copies of games.  Since the primary use of console emulators is for game piracy, which is illegal, there's very little you can discuss that deosn't fall in to the realm of do not discuss.

I'm sure that it would be fine to discuss a ROM that you are developing to play on an emulator, that would be your work, and your right to distribute it is unquestioned, but I seriously doubt that that's why you want to talk about emulators.

(note: the OS of recent consoles are software that is also illegal to distribute; in that case, those emulators are also illegal that emulate mote than the base hardware)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Fuyudenki

Quote from:
IMPORTANT:

WARNING: Copying any Nintendo game is illegal and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international copyright laws.  "Back-up" or "archival" copies are not authorized and are not necessary to protect your software.  Violators will be prosecuted.

this Nintendo Game is not designed for use with any unauthorized copying device.  Use of any such devices will invalidate your Nintendo product warranty.  Nintendo (and/or any Nintendo Licensee or distributor) is not responsible for any damage or loss caused by the use of any such device.  If use of such devices causes your game to stop operating, disconnect the device carefully to avoid damage and resume normal game play.  If your game ceases to operate and you have no device attached to it, please contact your local authorized Nintendo retailer.

The contents of this notice do not interfere with your statutory rights.

This manual and other printed matter accompanying this game are protected by domestic and intentional copyright laws.

The rental of this game without permission of Nintendo or its licensees is strictly prohibited.

plus a number to call if you need help.

Trivia: you don't have a right to a single backup copy of software you buy, that's a privelidge provided in the EULA.  The way that's written looks like a legally binding document, to me.

I mean, you could argue with Nintendo's lawyers on the topic, but I suspect they know a little more about it than you do.  The reason people tend to emulate with seeming impunity is not because Nintendo can't touch them, but because it's just not worth it to track you down.  They aren't making any money on the game, anyway.(abandonware)

This doesn't make it legal, though.

I believe the Tiger's right, though: if you're developing a ROM of your own, the ROM itself isn't illegal, though equipment to play it may range from questionable to "Six or sixty."

Reese Tora

QuoteThe contents of this notice do not interfere with your statutory rights.

If it's legal to make a backup for archival purposes where you live, then you can do so, EULA or no EULA.

As it stands now, there's not enough case law to really say if EULAs found on consumer software (specifically games) have any teeth.  Someone has to be taken to court over an EULA violation and either win or lose the case before we'll know for sure, and settling out of court doesn't count, which is the most common result, as most people can't afford a costly court battle.  Legality of backing up your own games aside, distributing the copies IS illegal.  Aquiring a copy by any means other than copying your own legally purchased copy IS illegal.

<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

darkwzrd

I'm a Castlevania fan!  I own about eleven Castlevania games.  They are:  Super Castlevania 4, Castlevania Dracula X, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Castlevania Chronicles, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, and Castlevania: Curse of Darkness.  I will receive Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles for Christmas.

Eibborn

/kicks the internet over