Age of Decadence?

Started by superluser, December 04, 2007, 01:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

I was just skimming over one of the Fallout sites when I saw a screenshot from the upcoming game Age of Decadence.  Has anyone seen this?

Combat video
screenshot

I hate to refer to games as ``X meets Y,'' but it really looks like Ultima VI (the action bar) meets Fallout II (the rest of the userbar) meets FF Tactics (combat).  It looks amazing.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

I'll watch the video later, but from the screenshot, what immediately sprang to mind was 'U5 - Lazarus', which was built on the Dungeon Siege engine.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dannysaysnoo

The combat looks kinda slow, and thats probably why i hate Final Fantasy Tactics

Reese Tora

It looks interesting, I may have to give it a whirl if they cmoe out with a playable demo.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 04, 2007, 04:20:45 AMI'll watch the video later, but from the screenshot, what immediately sprang to mind was 'U5 - Lazarus', which was built on the Dungeon Siege engine.

The screenshot doesn't really remind me of Lazarus.  That has an action bar across the bottom with a few options.  This looks to have a permanent bar with all your options.  In addition, it tells you what weapons/objects you have in each hand and clicking on them will allow you to choose your attack.

And it's got a running journal along the side.  I always like that.  It makes me feel like it's a real story.

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on December 04, 2007, 04:35:00 AMThe combat looks kinda slow, and thats probably why i hate Final Fantasy Tactics

Slow, turn-based combat is fun, to me.  I like the ability to pause, go make dinner (or even sleep), and then come back to the exact same board.  It gives me time to think things through.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 04, 2007, 11:41:02 AM
The screenshot doesn't really remind me of Lazarus.  That has an action bar across the bottom with a few options.  This looks to have a permanent bar with all your options.  In addition, it tells you what weapons/objects you have in each hand and clicking on them will allow you to choose your attack.

I was thinking more in terms of the artwork and the way the game world was presented, not so much the UI widgets, which I agree resemble U6 more closely.

http://it-he.org/u5l/bthorn2.jpg

What struck me was the way it seems to be an overhead not-really-isometric-but-looks-rather-like-it view, as opposed to U6, which was fixed perspective and sprite-based, or Morrowind which is basically first-person.
This might be fairly common with this kind of game nowadays, but Lazarus was the first one I've played.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dannysaysnoo

The first weird turn based RPG thingy (don't really know the name, if it has one) was Baldurs Gate 2 for about 2 minutes. Then i got Dungeon Siege to have a shot with The Lazarus Experiment. Dungeon Siege was alright, but if i could get Lazarus to work, it'd be better.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 04, 2007, 12:39:34 PMWhat struck me was the way it seems to be an overhead not-really-isometric-but-looks-rather-like-it view, as opposed to U6, which was fixed perspective and sprite-based, or Morrowind which is basically first-person.
This might be fairly common with this kind of game nowadays, but Lazarus was the first one I've played.

Hmmm.

Look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection#More_blurring

It mentions both U6 (oblique projection) and Age of Decadence (perspective projection).  I don't know what Dungeon Siege is in terms of projection.