thegayhare

Well I'm working on an AC costume

Just for fun I decided on the Death of Rats as a character
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnQh6QoRuBM

so I started working on my head

here are the steps I've taken so far

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/848853/

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/858332/

steps I haven't photographed yet include the fact that I've added the front incisors (I used the front of a dental floss package to make the teeth),  I've redone the lower jaw to look more antomicly rat,  I've added all the reinforcing rods, and I've mounted the eye LEDs. 

I'm just trying to figure out what to make the whiskers out of.  I've got some Wires that might work but thats a last resort.  I want something with a little bounce.  I'm thinking of using weed whacker line

so what do you folks think

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 26, 2007, 11:11:51 AM
Snh, Snh, Snh.

Ohh thanks I've got to find a good version of Rat's laugh

*giggles*

and I'll need a Quoth

Sid

Quote from: thegayhare on October 26, 2007, 10:05:06 AM
I'm just trying to figure out what to make the whiskers out of.  I've got some Wires that might work but thats a last resort.  I want something with a little bounce.  I'm thinking of using weed whacker line

My first thought was optical fiber, actually (which is most likely similar to the weed whacker thing). They'd already have that pale/semi-transparent gig going on, and they might be rigid yet bouncy enough. No idea what the price point is or if it'd actually work, though. Like I said: first thought.

That aside, you've picked an interesting and ambitious project! I hope you succeed :)
:boogie

thegayhare

GabrielsThoughts

that's pretty cool, so are you planing to paper mach'e the skull around the mask?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

thegayhare

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on October 26, 2007, 10:58:27 PM
that's pretty cool, so are you planing to paper mach'e the skull around the mask?

yep thats the plan.  but I want to finish the frame completely before I start that.   Mainly it's the whiskers, inner eyes, and molars.

then it's paper mache and paint time

llearch n'n'daCorna

Brunhidden

i would suggest pipe cleaners for the whiskers, they would be about the right stiff/bouncy level. the challenge is finding some long enough, but most craft stores should have them cheap in bulk
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

GabrielsThoughts

I disagree with the pipe cleaners, It would ruin the effect.

Use Fishing line.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Omega

Are you going to make a scyte out of foam or are you thinking about getting a real scyte?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Omega on October 27, 2007, 12:43:57 PM
Are you going to make a scyte out of foam or are you thinking about getting a real scyte?
AC is kind of strict about weapons and weaponlike things.  A foam scythe might be okay, but definitely not a real one...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

GabrielsThoughts

I don't think omega was reffering to the Adams Family real scythe, as much as a prop scythe that can be piked up at Spencer's or the Halloween Store.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on October 27, 2007, 01:05:27 PM
I don't think omega was reffering to the Adams Family real scythe, as much as a prop scythe that can be piked up at Spencer's or the Halloween Store.
As I understand it they probably wouldn't like that either.

http://www.anthrocon.org/node/1523

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

thegayhare

Quote from: Omega on October 27, 2007, 12:43:57 PM

I actualy have a real farm scythe I'm going to grt a few pics of me posing with it

but no I'm not going to use foam since Rat and Death's scythes are suposed to glow blue and be so sharp you can see threw them I'm planing to make the blade out of a clear plastic with blue LEDs to make the blade glow

Omega

Quote from: thegayhare on October 27, 2007, 01:17:46 PM
I actualy have a real farm scythe I'm going to grt a few pics of me posing with it
Yesh!  :woot  You get the respect points from me.
My folks have this old, rusty scyte in the lake house. I was thinking if I'd hang it on the wall, just above the bed.

Zedd

Quote from: Omega on October 27, 2007, 02:10:27 PM
Quote from: thegayhare on October 27, 2007, 01:17:46 PM
Yesh!  :woot  You get the respect points from me.
My folks have this old, rusty scyte in the lake house. I was thinking if I'd hang it on the wall, just above the bed.
Just watch where you hang it now!

Brunhidden

weapons make such great wall art, although theres much to be said for handpainted sawblades
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

thegayhare

And the next update
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/867630/

mainly it's just how I've finished the eye construction.

so what do you think?

Zedd

Evilllll eeeyyeesss lovely

llearch n'n'daCorna

Your head actually fits in there?

I'm deeply impressed by the results, though. Deeply impressed.

thegayhare

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 28, 2007, 02:48:47 PM
Your head actually fits in there?

I'm deeply impressed by the results, though. Deeply impressed.

Oh yes indeed... infact it's a tad loose so I'm thinking of adding a bit more padding.
all of which is very odd since I actualy have a very large head.  But I tested every step of the way to make sure it all fits even with my glasses on

so am I actualy.  I'm suprised by how well the build is going since I didn't have any plans to go by

PS I'm hoping to have a few pics uploaded later of me wearing it tonight.  Even though it's just the frame so far it looks pretty good.

the only thing is I've hit a small snag since I can't realy go any further until I find something for the whiskers.  Tonight I'll be putting in the nasal cavity and molars. I can't add the final touches to the front of the raw since I'll need access to the snout for the whiskers.  I have one interesting Idea for how to anchor them though.

For the nasal cavity I was thinking of making a small felt sack that would be inside the muzzle right where the nose hole is,  so it'll be dark.  what ever whisker material I use I'm planing on anchoring it inside the nasal cavity and then threading it out threw the frame. 

GabrielsThoughts

Fishing wire works great for whiskers, and you can usually  get the rolls inexpensively at various thickness  up to 1.5 mm from Wal-Mart

thegayhare

well I'm hitting wally world this wensday so I'll look into it.  I've got plenty of ling round the house but it's just to thin

hopefully the 1.5 mm would be think and stiff enough to give it a little bounce

I figure 6 whiskers should be enough 3 to a side,  any more would look a bit crowded

llearch n'n'daCorna

... are you thinking having a string tied to the inside of the whiskers, so you can make them move? Or is that going too far?

thegayhare

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 28, 2007, 06:20:13 PM
... are you thinking having a string tied to the inside of the whiskers, so you can make them move? Or is that going too far?

thats a bit to much,  I'm not sure if I could pull that off anyway since my hands will be in big latex gloves.  I guess I could do something I could bite to pull but I'm not sure how it would look.

sorry to do this to you folks I just need to blow off steam and If I do it here it won't get back to my sis

(rant mode)

Now all week I've been asking my sis if she would take a picture of me wearing the frame. 

It would have taken all of five minutes but each time she says yes she will and then blows me off. 

so I wanted to take 2 maybe 3 pics one of me wearing just the head and regular clothes  and one or two wearing the full reaper get up and the old farm scythe out side infront of the trees.  This morning at oh... 10 am I asked her some time later maybe around twilight  (it would look better then rather then in the bright sun shine) if she would be willing to take the picture.  thats all she had to do hold the camera.  So we are both doing housework all day.  So around 5 pm the sun has just started going down I gather everything together and go up to ask her.  "Do I have to do it right now?"  "no but soon I was hoping before it's too dark."

So then to help things along I go up to help her move the last of the heavy stuff she needs taken care of.  after 20 minutes heavy lifting on my end she says she needs to take a break so she makes her self a cup of tea while I wait patently. 45 minutes later it's pitch dark outside and she comes up to me and says "Oh by the way I'm ready to take that picture when ever you are."

Am I out of line for being a bit pissed off by this?  I mean I've been asking for 5 minutes of her time all week.  It's a little thing but it's the only thing I can't do by myself.

It's just so frustrating, trying to deal with her.  I've got to bribe her for the tinest little favor and then I'm lucky if it actualy gets done, and she acts like I'm nagging her to do the impossible.  But if she wants anything I'm expected (nd more often do) drop everything to help cause she's my sister...

gah
(/rant mode)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Next time she asks you for help, tell her "sure, just as soon as I get this done" and keep it up until after she wanted the task completed.

Make sure it's a task that she can't do by herself, that she wants done, and that you're not going to get too upset about her not getting finished.

Results may or may not include what you're after, but you can bet she'll be aware you're pissed.

thegayhare

well she's moving out on tuesday so it's not likely I'll get the chance. 

Oh well

*hugs*

thanks though

thegayhare

GabrielsThoughts

well, it definately looks creepy with just the frame, but I want to see the finished product, as I'm writing this I assume you have paper mach'ed the head and are waiting for it to dry...