10/01/07 [DMFA #826] - Where were we?

Started by AndersW, September 30, 2007, 11:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zedd

Quote from: Alondro on October 01, 2007, 10:38:10 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on October 01, 2007, 10:21:07 AM
Quote from: Alondro on October 01, 2007, 10:09:24 AM
I must steal a Fae soul and gain more powers!   >:3
I hear there's a bit of a trick to that since Fae don't have souls in the conventional sense.  Dark Pegasus seems to know of a workaround though, but he's a bit difficult to get hold of these days.

Ah, but when they left his castle, they forgot to look around for the notes and ancient scrolls and whatnot he was must have used!  After all, he had to learn the ritual from somewhere.  Everything in that place was left as is, just waiting for someone with the proper dark motivations! 

And what if some sly succubus happened to slink inside and snatch some of that precious information, eh?   >:3
And I say you have an ego bigger than or just as Inks

terrycloth

Quote from: thegayhare on October 01, 2007, 03:55:53 PM
now for the work arounds on detecting invisibility one of the people I alked to when I played VtM had a good defense against invisble vampires sneaking into his club.  beaded curtains on the doors

Vampiric invisibility is the mental 'don't notice me' type, though, so beaded curtains shouldn't work. They'd be good against physical invisiblity.

Naldru

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 01, 2007, 05:48:07 AM
Quote from: Ink on October 01, 2007, 04:05:37 AM
Invisibility is nice, but have to be careful with what kind of invisibility. You don't want to be permanently invisible, now, mmh?

Griffin says hello.
However, Griffin could only make himself disappear and not his clothes, requiring to go naked when he was on the prowl.  The fae is obviously able to make both herself and her clothes become invisible.  I suspect that Lorenda is a little like Alice in Wonderland at this time, and she is feeling slightly confused.

Speaking of invisibility, I don't suppose you've heard the joke about the time Sue Richards of the Fantastic Four had a little too much to drink and made her clothes turn invisible instead of herself.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

rabid_fox

*mumble mutter Lorenda mumble mutter*

Oh dear.

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: Kenji on September 30, 2007, 11:26:27 PM
Is it bad that while reading that line for the first time in the last panel, I heard it in Amber's voice?

No, because you are not alone.

Kenji

Quote from: AnizInDisguise on October 01, 2007, 08:23:40 PM
Is it bad that while reading that line for the first time in the last panel, I heard it in Amber's voice?

So you've heard Amber's mwaha?

thegayhare

Quote from: terrycloth on October 01, 2007, 06:02:26 PM
Quote from: thegayhare on October 01, 2007, 03:55:53 PM
now for the work arounds on detecting invisibility one of the people I alked to when I played VtM had a good defense against invisble vampires sneaking into his club.  beaded curtains on the doors

Vampiric invisibility is the mental 'don't notice me' type, though, so beaded curtains shouldn't work. They'd be good against physical invisiblity.

True but the curtains would still draw attention to anything passing threw them to an alert veiwer especialy in a vampire run bar.

but thats neither here nor there

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: thegayhare on October 01, 2007, 09:20:41 PM
Quote from: terrycloth on October 01, 2007, 06:02:26 PM
True but the curtains would still draw attention to anything passing threw them to an alert veiwer especialy in a vampire run bar.

but thats neither here nor there

I think the point was that the "SEP field" type would include the bead curtains, since it's all in the head of the viewer.

As you say, though, neither here nor there. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Moonfire

I have to agree with the page title. Where did September go anyway?

Jyrras is definitely looking to Lorenda in the last panel (his eyes go that way) but she is looking to the empty chair. I'd like to believe she does notice something there, It would sure make something more interesting about her anyway.

Zedd

Quote from: Kenji on October 01, 2007, 09:04:18 PM
Quote from: AnizInDisguise on October 01, 2007, 08:23:40 PM

So you've heard Amber's mwaha?
GETITOUTGETITOUT!!!  :U

Aurawyn

Quote from: Moonfire on October 01, 2007, 11:26:39 PM
I have to agree with the page title. Where did September go anyway?

Jyrras is definitely looking to Lorenda in the last panel (his eyes go that way) but she is looking to the empty chair. I'd like to believe she does notice something there, It would sure make something more interesting about her anyway.

Maybe shes just looking that way because she is shocked that the Fae just vanished into thin air??

As for the whole Dark Pegasus and stealing a Fae's soul thing.. I am just going to chalk that one up to the fact that maybe Amber didn't have all this "Dan's a Cubi" and "There are only X ammount of Fae, and they die when they choose" stuff all planned Waaaaaay back then... So there are going to be some inconsistancies...

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Naldru on October 01, 2007, 06:20:12 PM
Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 01, 2007, 05:48:07 AM
Quote from: Ink on October 01, 2007, 04:05:37 AM
Invisibility is nice, but have to be careful with what kind of invisibility. You don't want to be permanently invisible, now, mmh?

Griffin says hello.
However, Griffin could only make himself disappear and not his clothes, requiring to go naked when he was on the prowl.  The fae is obviously able to make both herself and her clothes become invisible.  I suspect that Lorenda is a little like Alice in Wonderland at this time, and she is feeling slightly confused.

Speaking of invisibility, I don't suppose you've heard the joke about the time Sue Richards of the Fantastic Four had a little too much to drink and made her clothes turn invisible instead of herself.

I'm merely pleased someone got the reference, which was the first thing to come to mind when the dear doctorfox mentioned permanent invisibility - he's the classic case. Though you must note that while Griffin turned himself permanently invisible, it did say the formula was intended to be 'alter the refractive index of people and objects'. Not that it happened.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 01, 2007, 11:11:16 PMI think the point was that the "SEP field" type would include the bead curtains, since it's all in the head of the viewer.

As you say, though, neither here nor there. ;-]

I wonder why The Shadow never thought of that...

(The Shadow's powers did tend to decline over the span of the show.  In some of the early episodes, he was able to do things like impersonate the villain's dead accomplices)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Timothy

Who is Griffin ?

First thing that hit my mind when I saw the invisibility was a short story from Stanisław Lem
about a man that got the "gift" of invisibility for a few hours per day by an alien trader as reward.

It was a purely logical, scientific invisibility though, turning his body into something that let light pass
through unhindered ... problem was that this included his whole body ... including the eyes.
So since there was nothing the eyes lenses could project the light onto for the brain to interpret
he was blind every day for those few hours.

Pretty good story.  8)
*If in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout*

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Timothy on October 02, 2007, 05:02:42 AM
Who is Griffin ?

The Invisible Man? H.G Wells novel? Classic science fiction? Am I just old?

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Timothy

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 02, 2007, 08:39:28 AM
Who is Griffin ?

Oh ... never knew his name was Griffin.
Though I doubt you are THAT old to have read the original book.
Wiki suggests it was published 1897.
You are probably young enouth to have seen the movie around 2000? ;)

Tough I have to admit that Lem ain't as old as Wells.
*If in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout*

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Timothy on October 02, 2007, 08:56:07 AM
Who is Griffin ?

I abhor most movies based on literature, because regardless of how much they make they epically fail at capturing the same atmosphere as the book. And who knows, maybe I really AM over a century old and read the original Invisible Man novel, or much more likely is the notation that I read it in my primary school years. Either way - I read (some of) the classics, and thus that makes me old because dagnabbit kids these days... :b

llearch n'n'daCorna

heh. I never read that one, if only because I think we got lumbered with the time machine one instead.

I should go find a copy.... *looks for Gutenberg*

AndersW

Quote from: Aurawyn on October 02, 2007, 01:01:21 AM
As for the whole Dark Pegasus and stealing a Fae's soul thing.. I am just going to chalk that one up to the fact that maybe Amber didn't have all this "Dan's a Cubi" and "There are only X ammount of Fae, and they die when they choose" stuff all planned Waaaaaay back then... So there are going to be some inconsistancies...

I think that he needed a "Fae Soul" because it isn't really a soul.  He needed something with a bit more punch.

DarkAudit

Quote from: Timothy on October 02, 2007, 08:56:07 AM
Who is Griffin ?

Thanks to Turner Classic Movies I'm able to see the Claude Rains version every October.  :mwaha
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Alondro

*hmms at Janus*  I recall HG Wells and Jules Verne had quite a row.  Verne was complaining about Wells using a gravity-insulating metal invention in his story about travel to the moon, which Verne said was absurd and impossible.  I found it very funny indeed, when his own story involved shooting people out of a cannon!  The ship would have been pulverized upon impact, and the intertia would have turned everyone inside into a splat.  Bah, an impossible invention makes for better science fiction than something that's simply impossible.

I sided with Wells and he was very grateful to have one of the Great Cosmic Entities back him up... eh.. erf! 

You read nothing!   :shifty
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Amber Williams

Ouch.  You wound me. :<

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

I have some matches, here. Ready when you are.

... now, where did we put the cooler full of gasoline and the jugs of methanol?

Zedd

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 02, 2007, 02:08:12 PM
I have some matches, here. Ready when you are.

... now, where did we put the cooler full of gasoline and the jugs of methanol?
Under your sons playpen

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah, keeping it in a safe place, then. Good to hear.

Aurawyn

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 02, 2007, 01:38:14 PM
As for the whole Dark Pegasus and stealing a Fae's soul thing.. I am just going to chalk that one up to the fact that maybe Amber didn't have all this "Dan's a Cubi" and "There are only X amount of Fae, and they die when they choose" stuff all planned Waaaaaay back then... So there are going to be some inconsistencies...

Ouch.  You wound me. :<

Oh no no!

*worships teh Amber*

I meant no offence!! Really! I said maybe...

*runs and hides*   :cry

Naldru

Quote from: Alondro on October 02, 2007, 11:17:57 AM
*hmms at Janus*  I recall HG Wells and Jules Verne had quite a row.  Verne was complaining about Wells using a gravity-insulating metal invention in his story about travel to the moon, which Verne said was absurd and impossible.  I found it very funny indeed, when his own story involved shooting people out of a cannon!  The ship would have been pulverized upon impact, and the intertia would have turned everyone inside into a splat.  Bah, an impossible invention makes for better science fiction than something that's simply impossible.

I sided with Wells and he was very grateful to have one of the Great Cosmic Entities back him up... eh.. erf! 

You read nothing!   :shifty

I believe that Jules Verne was more interested in the gadgets, and tried to use extrapolations of existing devices.  Although building a cannon to go to the moon was impossible, cannons did exist.  Although some of the concepts existed in reality, a little math demonstrated the problems of Journey to the Center of the Earth and From the Earth to the Moon, they were great gadgets and he really didn't see a need to do all the math.  If you look at The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, The First Men in the Moon, The War of the Worlds, and The Island of Dr. Moreau, you will find that H. G. Wells was more interested in looking at society through the impact of the inventions.  He didn't care how the invisibility potion or Cavorite (the anti-gravity metal) was created.  He simply had the character state that he had created the invention and went on from there.  Perhaps Jules Verne could be considered the father of "hard" science fiction and H. G. Wells the father of "soft" science fiction.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Azlan

Interesting, this has most certainly diverged far from its original topic.  I blame the ferret.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Jakon

... Jyrras is going to end up with Wildy.

The prophet hath spoken.